PDA

View Full Version : What would you do in this situation?

Ginofan
01-03-2009, 08:57 AM
We live on the bottom floor of our apartment building and an older man lives above us. This man walks like he weighs 600 pounds or something, very heavy footed. And I don't think it would be too bad if he actually sat down every once in a while, but he is constantly walking around his apartment at all hours of the day and night.

We usually try to be in bed by 9 or 10 during the week because we both get up pretty early (4am for me) and this man keeps us up to 11 or 12 every night. Then on weekends he loves to wake us up at 7am, it's so frustrating!!!

We've tried tapping on the ceiling with a broom handle but that just seems to encourage him. I don't want to go up there and yell at him because I'm afraid he'll key my car or something like that. Should I call the office and complain to them, or just suffer through this bullshit until August when our lease is up? What would you do?

Summers
01-03-2009, 09:01 AM
We live on the bottom floor of our apartment building and an older man lives above us. This man walks like he weighs 600 pounds or something, very heavy footed. And I don't think it would be too bad if he actually sat down every once in a while, but he is constantly walking around his apartment at all hours of the day and night.

We usually try to be in bed by 9 or 10 during the week because we both get up pretty early (4am for me) and this man keeps us up to 11 or 12 every night. Then on weekends he loves to wake us up at 7am, it's so frustrating!!!

We've tried tapping on the ceiling with a broom handle but that just seems to encourage him. I don't want to go up there and yell at him because I'm afraid he'll key my car or something like that. Should I call the office and complain to them, or just suffer through this bullshit until August when our lease is up? What would you do?

(Dons apartment manager hat). Talk to him (without yelling). I have found usually if people solve their own neighbor problems in a civil fashion it produces very good results. If you're not comfortable talking to him, talk to the office, though there's not much they can do. They can talk to him and ask him to be conscious of your bedtime but they can't really do anything.

You could ask for a transfer within the complex.

TDMVPDPOY
01-03-2009, 09:12 AM
u have a mop? start hitting the ceiling with it

MannyIsGod
01-03-2009, 09:28 AM
You're pretty much screwed homo.

MiamiHeat
01-03-2009, 09:34 AM
He weighs 600 pounds? The man needs his exercise.

also, I think you should train yourself to sleep through noise. it's easy. I can sleep through anything. A jackhammer could be outside of my window and I could fall asleep. It's all in your head.

TwAnKiEs
01-03-2009, 09:43 AM
We've tried tapping on the ceiling with a broom handle but that just seems to encourage him.

I can totally see you doing that. :lmao

Go talk to him first... if you are not comfortable go to the front office like the others said. if nothing helps I have my shed in my yard for rent .. let me know :D

fotan2
01-03-2009, 10:03 AM
a human being weighs 600 pounds is not able to walk .

CuckingFunt
01-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Just one of the pitfalls of living on the first floor, I'm afraid. You can talk to him, but I doubt it would do anything. And the property/apartment manager certainly wouldn't be able to do anything -- walking hard isn't excessive noise like a loud party is.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Move.

Rohirrim
01-03-2009, 11:39 AM
When he is out getting something to eat, cut a circle in the floor and wait for him to fall through it.

balli
01-03-2009, 11:48 AM
http://www.aces-eng.com.au/images/Web-Ear-Plugs.jpg

hobbit feet
01-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I used to get complaints. That's why I live on the bottom floor.

Rohirrim
01-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Hobbits don't make any noise when they walk....?

Ginofan
01-03-2009, 12:07 PM
I can totally see you doing that. :lmao

Go talk to him first... if you are not comfortable go to the front office like the others said. if nothing helps I have my shed in my yard for rent .. let me know :D
Thanks!

a human being weighs 600 pounds is not able to walk .
I was exaggerating obviously.

Just one of the pitfalls of living on the first floor, I'm afraid. You can talk to him, but I doubt it would do anything. And the property/apartment manager certainly wouldn't be able to do anything -- walking hard isn't excessive noise like a loud party is.
Thanks for the advice. The way he walks definitely IS excessive noise lol. I guess I can always hope that he moves out or dies.

http://www.aces-eng.com.au/images/Web-Ear-Plugs.jpg
I'm thinking about it...it's just that I don't think I would be able to hear my alarm in the morning though. But it might work for weekends.

TwAnKiEs
01-03-2009, 12:16 PM
I guess I can always hope that he moves out or dies.

damn :wow

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-03-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Mouse could resolve it if you bought him a spindle of DVDs.

jack sommerset
01-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Ask the manager if you could move into a similiar apartment on the site.

CuckingFunt
01-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Ask the manager if you could move into a similiar apartment on the site.

As a former property manager, they'd likely laugh. Apartment turnaround is way too big of a pain in the ass for someone who walks hard.

Jekka
01-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I dealt with a somewhat similar situation when I was living in the Callaghan area, but that family (4 of them in the one bedroom apartment) also was up and running around at like 4am. You can try talking to management so that they are aware of the problem, and while they may not be able to do anything, it would then be their responsibility to mediate and go talk to your neighbor so that you don't have to have any sort of awkward, etc. confrontation. And, if the situation is eligible for some sort of complaint file then they would be able to do it. Because, yeah, living under Mr Heavy Foot really blows.

http://fi.somethingawful.com/customtitles/title-m._piedlourde.jpg

bigzak25
01-03-2009, 01:25 PM
buy him some soft fluffy slippers...

SequSpur
01-03-2009, 02:12 PM
when we lived in an apartment many many years ago, there was these two chicks that would lick each other all night right above us.. it was really hard to sleep you know.

Kori Ellis
01-03-2009, 03:48 PM
when we lived in an apartment many many years ago, there was these two chicks that would lick each other all night right above us.. it was really hard to sleep you know.

Because you were masturbating?

SequSpur
01-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Because you were masturbating?

no, u could her them...

leemajors
01-03-2009, 11:59 PM
move into a house.

baseline bum
01-04-2009, 12:16 AM
I would learn to deal with it. You can't tell someone when he can and can't be up in his own apartment just because it doesn't fit your schedule.

SpursFanFirst
01-04-2009, 01:05 AM
How bad would it be to break your lease? In some cases it's not too bad. August is a ways away though.

And baseline, where have you been? We haven't seen you in a chat in a while.

Rogue
01-04-2009, 01:10 AM
move into a house.
I am afraid he has long been living in a house if he can afford one. maybe his work requests him to live in downtown where there is not so many houses at all, but not everyone can afford the downtown houses whose prizes are sky high. he needs to get up at 4am, I'm afraid he would have to give up sleeping if he moved to a countryside house.

You don't shed on the furniture.

DarkReign
01-04-2009, 09:00 AM
http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/cox.jpg

Ginofan
01-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I think we are just going to have to suffer until our lease is up. I would love to be in a house right now, but breaking my lease isn't an option. We have already transferred once because of neighbors camping out in front of our porch so I don't think the office would love to transfer us again. I'm buying ear plugs today though.

jack sommerset
01-04-2009, 11:00 AM

My Mom lived in a duplex (i think u call them that) where her neighbors lived above them. She said the two whores upstairs were always going at it and she could not sleep because they were so loud. I was looking forward visiting her. Sure enough all sorts of sounds came from upstairs. Strange is the best way I could describe it. The next day I heard them leave. I went to the window to check them out. Disgusting. in there 50's,ugly,fat,nasty. I was very very disapointed.

ploto
01-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I would learn to deal with it. You can't tell someone when he can and can't be up in his own apartment just because it doesn't fit your schedule.

I would not have worded it quite this way, but who knows what his schedule might be. Maybe he works until really late and staying up until 11 or 12 is not excessive. You may have neighbors who think you disturb them at 4:00 AM when you get up.

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
dont be a pussy man, go up and used him as a punching bag

thats what happen in my flat also, we got a few africans that moved in or someshit just a few months ago, they were livin on top of this redneck who couldnt stand the noise and stuff, he ran up and challenge them to come out and have a fight....lol

ur lucky u dont have alot of asians living in ur apartment complex, or else karaoke every friday and saturday nights......

Ginofan
01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I would not have worded it quite this way, but who knows what his schedule might be. Maybe he works until really late and staying up until 11 or 12 is not excessive. You may have neighbors who think you disturb them at 4:00 AM when you get up.

I'm not saying that people need to work around my schedule...but living in an upstairs apartment you should at least have the common decency to be aware of your neighbors. We don't play loud music or have parties and such because we wouldn't our neighbors doing the same. I guess I'm just asking too much for someone to be courteous.

And he doesn't work, he's retired. He's at the apartment all day everyday, so I really doubt me opening my front door and closing it when I leave in the morning is disturbing him.

Skeeter Swift
01-04-2009, 02:31 PM
When you choose to live on the lower floor, the sound above is one of the risks. At 600 lbs, this guy's life is hell. Live with it. Learn from it. And move to an upper level apartment as soon as you can.

Ginofan
01-04-2009, 02:40 PM
:lol the guy does not weigh 600lbs. I said he walks like he does! Anyway, I know the risks living on the first floor...but after living under an Indian family of four who were surprisingly great upstairs neighbors I would've thought living under one retired man would be just as good.

But oh well, we'll live.

SpursFanFirst
01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm not saying that people need to work around my schedule...but living in an upstairs apartment you should at least have the common decency to be aware of your neighbors. We don't play loud music or have parties and such because we wouldn't our neighbors doing the same. I guess I'm just asking too much for someone to be courteous.

I understand where you're coming from because I'm in a similar situation - only I own an end-unit condo, and my neighbor loves to play his music loud with the bass turn especially high.
I've talked to him numerous times, and luckily, he'll turn it down when I contact him...but it's irritating, nonetheless.
I shouldn't have to ask my neighbor for permission to enjoy my nice quiet home.

I realize I bought a condo and not a single family home, but regardless - I am always careful to not make noise when I get home at midnight for fear that I might wake him, etc. I don't get that same courtesy. It's frustrating.

At least in your case, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

timvp
01-05-2009, 03:56 AM
buy him some soft fluffy slippers...That's actually not a bad idea. Leave him a Christmas gift outside door and you might solve the problem . . .

http://www.insightempire.com/slippers/slippers.jpg

petersonj80
01-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Just speak to that guy... nicely with cool head and see if the problem solves.. no harm in at least trying..