PDA

View Full Version : The Year of the 3 Point Assassins

Chris
01-03-2009, 11:54 PM
I grew up with Del Negro, Elie, Elliott, Person etc.. I wouldn't call those guys lights out but they were a force to contend with and were exciting to watch when I was a kid. This year's team is probably the best I've ever seen from behind the line. Can you guys remember a Spurs team that was better than this from beyond the arc?

lefty
01-03-2009, 11:56 PM
2003?

timvp
01-04-2009, 12:03 AM
2003?ROFL. Those are two of the worst three-point shooting teams of the Duncan Era.

td4mvp21
01-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Maybe 2006.

timvp
01-04-2009, 12:09 AM
In terms of makes, this year's team should shatter the franchise record mark of 595 set in 2006-07. It'll be tough to top the three-point percentage mark of the 2000-2001 team. That was the team where almost every shooter shot lights out ...... until the Lakers series.

lefty
01-04-2009, 12:11 AM
ROFL. Those are two of the worst three-point shooting teams of the Duncan Era.

1999:

Elliott: 6 three pointers + the miracle shot in the Portland game

Jarrett Jackson: he just had fun vs Lakers, Blazers and game 1 vs the Knicks
s
Mario Elie: a few important shots, including the buzzer beating 3 vs Houton, and a few 3's to keep us in game 5 vs Knicks

Steve Kerr

2003:

Steve Kerr and SJax lighting up 3's versus Dallas in game 6
Steve Kett big 3 versus NJ in game 5

timvp
01-04-2009, 12:12 AM
I'll give you Jarrett Jackson.

lefty
01-04-2009, 12:12 AM
I'll give you Jarrett Jackson.

Better than nothing I guess :depressed

Kori Ellis
01-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Better than nothing I guess :depressed

:lol His name is Jaren.

lefty
01-04-2009, 12:14 AM
:lol His name is Jaren.

:bang Damn, that's true

I need a coffee

MannyIsGod
01-04-2009, 12:14 AM
The problem is right now this team dies and lives by the 3 like no other Spurs team.

m33p0
01-04-2009, 12:23 AM
brent barry thread?

Sean Cagney
01-04-2009, 12:54 AM
ROFL. Those are two of the worst three-point shooting teams of the Duncan Era.

Yes and they did not have to shoot 25 threes a game and won the title, but hit timely ones when they had to and did not rely on that... I wish more of that would come back, live by it die by it. I am not a huge fan of a ton of treys every game.

1999:

Elliott: 6 three pointers + the miracle shot in the Portland game

Jarrett Jackson: he just had fun vs Lakers, Blazers and game 1 vs the Knicks
s
Mario Elie: a few important shots, including the buzzer beating 3 vs Houton, and a few 3's to keep us in game 5 vs Knicks

Steve Kerr

2003:

Steve Kerr and SJax lighting up 3's versus Dallas in game 6
Steve Kett big 3 versus NJ in game 5There was more than that, Ginobili was lights out some games late too from downtown, they hit timely threes that year moreso than putting up 20 some odd a game. They would put up 12 or so, this team rely's way too much on that three for my liking to win, when it goes cold they do too. I liked thos years, not too many threes, but effective when you needed it.

lefty
01-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Yes and they did not have to shoot 25 threes a game and won the title, but hit timely ones when they had to and did not rely on that... I wish more of that would come back, live by it die by it. I am not a huge fan of a ton of treys every game.

There was more than that, Ginobili was lights out some games late too from downtown, they hit timely threes that year moreso than putting up 20 some odd a game. They would put up 12 or so, this team rely's way too much on that three for my liking to win, when it goes cold they do too. I liked thos years, not too many threes, but effective when you needed it.

Exactly.

It was more about timely 3's than quantity

timvp
01-04-2009, 01:18 AM

There was more than that, Ginobili was lights out some games late too from downtown, they hit timely threes that year moreso than putting up 20 some odd a game. They would put up 12 or so, this team rely's way too much on that three for my liking to win, when it goes cold they do too. I liked thos years, not too many threes, but effective when you needed it.That's all well and good but it has nothing to do with the question that was asked. Read the original post again.

The best three-point shooting Spurs teams can be concluded using stats. All the championship Spurs teams hit clutch three-pointers but percentage-wise and quantity-wise, 1999 and 2003 were two of the worst three-point shooting teams in the Duncan Era.

You seem to be answering a question regarding which Spurs teams used a mix of threes and twos best and which teams were the clutchest.

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2009, 01:25 AM
i use to have the spurs 99 playoff run on tapes....

jaren jackson was nutts at the 3pt line, in one game he would destroy ur dignity, then the next his nowhere to be seen, then he comes back to remind you ur a fool in the next game....

xtremesteven33
01-04-2009, 01:28 AM
i use to have the spurs 99 playoff run on tapes....

jaren jackson was nutts at the 3pt line, in one game he would destroy ur dignity, then the next his nowhere to be seen, then he comes back to remind you ur a fool in the next game....

Jackson was a decent defender though..