PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Mason’s Sharpshooting Keys Prolific 3-Point Night

duncan228
01-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Mason’s sharpshooting keys prolific 3-point night (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Masons_sharpshooting_keys_prolific_3-point_night.html)
Mike Monroe

Twenty-four hours after a shooting performance he preferred to forget, Roger Mason Jr. had to be force-fed his first 3-point attempt in the Spurs’ game Saturday at the AT&T Center against the Philadelphia 76ers.

Point guard Tony Parker knew Mason’s 1-for-11 outing Friday against the Grizzlies was an aberration.

So, with the Spurs out to an 11-4 lead, Parker passed up an open lane to the basket to give Mason a look from one of his favorite spots, in the right corner.

By game’s end, Mason had made all five of his 3-pointers in a 108-106 Spurs victory that would have been impossible without the team’s 15-for-26 (57.7 percent) long-range shooting. Only once all season have the Spurs been more accurate beyond the arc, a 10-for-16 (62.5 percent) outing five days earlier, against Milwaukee.

Mason’s perfection on 3-pointers Saturday slid him past teammate Matt Bonner into second place in the NBA in 3-point accuracy, despite Bonner’s 3-for-5 night from beyond the arc. Mason has made 47.5 percent of his 160 3-pointers; Bonner 46.8 percent of his 94.

Mason trails only Suns forward Jason Richardson (48.5 percent) in 3-point accuracy.

Mason accepted his six 3-point misses in Memphis as a challenge.

“You have a rough night and it tests your character, tests your will,” he said. “You know there is going to be another opportunity, and I wanted to come out and have a better night, and I was able to do that.”

Parker made certain he had a good look at his first 3-point attempt.

“That first one I made, Tony was looking at me the whole way,” Mason said. “He wanted to get me started early, so he gave me a quick shot, and that kind of set the tempo.”

Bombs away: The Spurs made eight 3-pointers in the first quarter, matching the franchise record for one quarter. Mason and Bonner made three apiece, and Parker and Manu Ginobili each made one.

Bonner had the only 3-point miss in the period.

The long-range largesse turned out to be a mixed blessing.

“Everybody was making them,” Bonner said, “and it felt like we couldn’t miss a shot that whole quarter. It’s easy to get high on our shooting and think we’re just going to keep making them, but the law of percentages says we’re not. That’s when defense comes in.”

Key deflection: Lost in the elation that followed Parker’s game-winning shot Saturday was the steal that gave the Spurs their opportunity.

Manu Ginobili’s deflection of Andre Miller’s pass bounced off the leg of the Sixers’ Andre Iguodala and into Parker’s hands.

“Miller made the pass,” Ginobili said, “and I was lucky enough to deflect it off (Iguodala). It just dropped off his body and bounced off his leg, right to Tony.”

BlackSwordsMan
01-04-2009, 02:05 AM
What a badass player spurs got.

Rogue
01-04-2009, 02:11 AM
mason is pretty good a player who always does his work well. but it's hopless to expect him to do anything more than his own work.

AFBlue
01-04-2009, 02:14 AM
mason is pretty good a player who always does his work well. but it's hopless to expect him to do anything more than his own work.

huh?

mrspurs
01-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Thats what Roger does. When he's on, he can make 3 point shots. He's still learning out there with his new teamates. I cant wait to see him next season. Ive never seen so many 3 point shooters on this roster at one time. Its a good formula for a team that lacks creators. Slow the game down, hack a few poor free throw shooters and launch the 3 ball.

wildbill2u
01-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Live by the three; die by the three.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Yeah, but I'm holding out hope that the Spurs are just living and dying out at the arc right now because they are trying to save their bodies for the playoffs. I'm torn between thinking Manu's style of play has finally caught up with him and thinking he has been given orders to stay out of the lane until March....let the power of SPAM do the rest.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2009, 12:48 PM
I hate this "Spurs are saving themselves for the playoffs" BS.

This team is aging rapidly, and if saving themselves now means losing HCA in some key series in the 2009 playoffs that could bite the team in the ass.

They were able to win a game 7 in NO, but if given the opportunity I'm sure they would've much rather played that game at home. This is the worst defensive Spurs team of the Duncan era, their offense is inconsistent at best, and the only thing this team does really well is keep the turnovers at a low rate.

I hope these guys wake up soon, because this coming month we could see the team go sub .500 with all the playoff opponents they'll be facing.

T Park
01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
For those that know who they are.

This is why you NEVER tell a shooter to stop shooting.

T Park
01-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I hate this "Spurs are saving themselves for the playoffs" BS.

This team is aging rapidly, and if saving themselves now means losing HCA in some key series in the 2009 playoffs that could bite the team in the ass.

They were able to win a game 7 in NO, but if given the opportunity I'm sure they would've much rather played that game at home. This is the worst defensive Spurs team of the Duncan era, their offense is inconsistent at best, and the only thing this team does really well is keep the turnovers at a low rate.

I hope these guys wake up soon, because this coming month we could see the team go sub .500 with all the playoff opponents they'll be facing.

God do you just love being a melodramatic attention grabbing "I hate life" glass half empty person?

This is NOT the worst defensive team of the Tim Duncan era, and if you think so, then you are with the group of new spursreport posters who have no clue aboout bad defensive teams.

Rockhound
01-04-2009, 12:52 PM
T Park, do you think the Spurs have any weaknesses?

T Park
01-04-2009, 12:55 PM
T Park, do you think the Spurs have any weaknesses?

I think they aren't aggressive enough in driving to the basket.

I think they could use a shot blocking center.

I think they have weaknesses like everyteam, but thier weaknesses aren't ones that are impossible to fix between now and the playoffs.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2009, 12:59 PM
God do you just love being a melodramatic attention grabbing "I hate life" glass half empty person?

This is NOT the worst defensive team of the Tim Duncan era, and if you think so, then you are with the group of new spursreport posters who have no clue aboout bad defensive teams.

Bwahahahaha, it's not eh?

We're #12 in Opponents defensive FG %, (usually we're top 5 at the very worst)

This team is fairly mediocre ine very stat aside from turnovers and we're in the bottom 3 in PPG (not that the Spurs were ever a high scoring team, but when you got 3 all stars and still in the bottom 3-4 teams in scoring that's sad) as well as dead last in Free throw attempts per game.

And this has all been achieved while playing mostly the inferior teams of the league. January and February could be absolutely brutal for this team if they don't whip into shape soon.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I think they aren't aggressive enough in driving to the basket.

I think they could use a shot blocking center.

I think they have weaknesses like everyteam, but thier weaknesses aren't ones that are impossible to fix between now and the playoffs.

I never said the weaknesses were impossible to fix as there is plenty of time between now and the playoffs, but how slowly this team is coming together defensively is a bit concerning. Especially when you factor in that aside form the 3 point shooting (which the team continues to live and die by) their offense isn't anything to write home about either.

T Park
01-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Bwahahahaha, it's not eh?

We're #12 in Opponents defensive FG %, (usually we're top 5 at the very worst)

This team is fairly mediocre ine very stat aside from turnovers and we're in the bottom 3 in PPG (not that the Spurs were ever a high scoring team, but when you got 3 all stars and still in the bottom 3-4 teams in scoring that's sad) as well as dead last in Free throw attempts per game.

And this has all been achieved while playing mostly the inferior teams of the league. January and February could be absolutely brutal for this team if they don't whip into shape soon.

Subtract the first few games of the season when the team was NOT healthy, and then re look at the stats, since stats are obviously the total 100% indicator of everything.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Sorry, we're in fact 20th in opponent defensive FG %

If that doesn't make this team the worst defensively of the Duncan era, then I don't know what does

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=tmcompare&sort=fg%&league=nba&season=2009&seasontype=2&avg=pg&order=false&split=999

T Park
01-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I never said the weaknesses were impossible to fix as there is plenty of time between now and the playoffs, but how slowly this team is coming together defensively is a bit concerning. Especially when you factor in that aside form the 3 point shooting (which the team continues to live and die by) their offense isn't anything to write home about either.

again

did you have your head in a toilet bowl the whole first month of the year when they weren't healthy? When they didn't get their WHOLE squad back till almost December!?!?

T Park
01-04-2009, 01:03 PM
STATS MEAN EVERYTHING!!!!

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2009, 01:04 PM
again

did you have your head in a toilet bowl the whole first month of the year when they weren't healthy? When they didn't get their WHOLE squad back till almost December!?!?

Without that extra shot blocker this team is gonna struggle to be the defnesive power house they once were. The Spurs always funnel their opponents baseline but this only puts more pressure on TD alone as without a secondary shot blocker to help out, he's gotta carry the load of being the last line of defense. The team is part of a great defensive system but there needs to be some minor personnel changes in order for them to get them where they used to be defensively.

T Park
01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Without that extra shot blocker this team is gonna struggle to be the defnesive power house they once were. The Spurs always funnel their opponents baseline but this only puts more pressure on TD alone as without a secondary shot blocker to help out, he's gotta carry the load of being the last line of defense. The team is part of a great defensive system but there needs to be some minor personnel changes in order for them to get them where they used to be defensively.

Bull.

Kurt Thomas has proven to be a solid shot blocker, and they have proven that they don't HAVE to have two shot blockers.

Again, your stats are flawed due to injuries in the beginning of the year.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2009, 01:12 PM
You just said the Spurs could use a shot blocking center, but then you go on to say Thomas is a solid shot blocker......and he plays center.

Make up your mind, you keep flip flopping because you don't know what you're talking about.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Bull.

Kurt Thomas has proven to be a solid shot blocker, and they have proven that they don't HAVE to have two shot blockers.

Again, your stats are flawed due to injuries in the beginning of the year.

They have proven it by being so low in the defnesive FG% category??

Tony and Manu are not defensive juggernauts by any means of the imagination. Had Duncan and Bowen been out for a significant amount of time then I could understand. Granted. it def. helps having Manu and TP on the court, you are making it sound like they haven't had TD till about a week ago.

T Park
01-04-2009, 01:24 PM
You just said the Spurs could use a shot blocking center, but then you go on to say Thomas is a solid shot blocker......and he plays center.

Make up your mind, you keep flip flopping because you don't know what you're talking about.

Oh pardon me, I guess you can't mean both at the same time.

I bow to your obvious superiority sir basketball genius.

T Park
01-04-2009, 01:25 PM
They have proven it by being so low in the defnesive FG% category??

Tony and Manu are not defensive juggernauts by any means of the imagination. Had Duncan and Bowen been out for a significant amount of time then I could understand. Granted. it def. helps having Manu and TP on the court, you are making it sound like they haven't had TD till about a week ago.

I'm making it sound like they didn't have their 3rd best wing defender, and best point guard defender for a very long time.

Wake up kid.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2009, 01:47 PM
I bow to your obvious superiority sir basketball genius.

I thought as much

hater
01-04-2009, 01:59 PM

yup, Roger Mason is one fearless motherfucker

hater
01-04-2009, 02:00 PM
For those that know who they are.

This is why you NEVER tell a shooter to stop shooting.

T Park is Spursdynasty?????

duncan228
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
A blog I ran into, it was written 12/31.

THIS MASON HELPS THE SPURS FOUNDATION (http://judspressbox.blogspot.com/2008/12/this-mason-helps-spurs-foundation.html)

Some things about the Spurs remain as constant as the Alamo to San Antonians. People like Tim Duncan are a true beacon of excellence that has enveloped the franchise for the past decade, which has seen 4 championships. One of the Spurs biggest impacts has been the influx of excellent complimentary players like Vinny Del Negro, Mario Elie, Brent Barry, and many more. Most of these men came from other teams before achieving a higher level of accomplishment in San Antonio. There just may now be a new Spur who will fit into that mold these days.

Roger Mason was the second player picked in the second round of the 2002 draft by the Chicago Bulls. Roger played just 17 games as a rookie, and scored just over one point per game. After suiting up for just 3 games in the beginning of the next season, he was dealt to the Toronto Raptors. Mason averaged 4 points in the 23 games he played for Toronto that year. He was then out of the NBA until 2006. He got a tryout with the Washington Wizards. Mason was a star at the University of Virginia, and had grown up in Washington DC. Though he he made the team and saw action in 62 games that season, he averaged just over 2 points in under 8 minutes played per game. He had shown hints of being more than an end of the bench type of player, but he was buried in the depth chart. After off season roster adjustments, Roger got a chance to play a lot more in 2007. He grabbed the opportunity and ran with it by averaging 9 points per game in 80 appearances. He also averaged a career high 21 minutes player per game. He showed his ability to be able to handle either Guard position, and also showed excellent range. For financial reasons, the Wizards allowed Mason to walk away as a free agent at the end of the year. Their loss was the Spurs gain.

The Spurs have seen Mason play in every game for them so far this season, and he averages over 30 minutes player per game. That is the third highest on the roster. He is also fourth on the team in points, averaging over 12 points a game. Mason's overall numbers are all at a career best average currently, including rebounds, steals, and assists. He is 6th on the team in rebounds per game average, and is first on the team in 3 pointers made. His role is similar to that of Del Negro and Barry. All were tall men with long range shooting ability and above average ball handling skills. Coach Greg Popovich has shown he can win with these types of smart and excellent players who put the teams needs ahead of their own. Currently the Spurs are breezing along at 20 -10. Though teams like the Lakers and Hornets may get the headlines for the Western Conference these days, the Spurs will probably threaten once again for a championship. They are a team no one wants to face in the playoffs. Guys like Roger Mason are part of the reason why.

papashango
01-04-2009, 10:45 PM

If the Spurs continue to be the best 3 point shooting team in the league then sign me up as a guy who hopes they continue to live by it. And the only reason the Spurs are even this close to the bunch is because of Tolliver's horrible 3 point shooting. I've never seen guys shoot this well from. Looks like Finley is starting to catch on too. I think if the Spurs continue to play the inside/outside game everything will be okay. I don't see guys just forcing up 3's just to make them. For the most part there good shots.

pawe
01-05-2009, 12:19 AM
This is the perfect play for the spurs. TD is a terrific low post player and its a great strategy to surround him with shooters. The spurs dont rebound well so they can counter that with the long rebounds by the 3's.
Mason is turning out to be one of the more popular spurs now and I hope they would keep him longer.