PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs need a big, obviously!

lotr1trekkie
01-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Without the usual bashing and trashing, what are the Spurs options for this season? Play with what we have---- early elimination. With and without Tim we get beaten off the boards and can't protect the rim. We have a ton of smalls. We struggle with under 500% teams. We rely on too many 3's! We are overplaying Tim, Tony and eventually Manu. IMO the Spurs FO need to forget the 2010 FA market and get someone who can contribute this season. We have no #1 pick next draft. The FO needs to look for a Pau Gasol type of trade and accept the cap consequences. Trade Splitter's rights plus multiple players for someone who can contribute the next 49 games. Otherwise we enter next season with basiclly the same team as this year and with the same results.

boutons_
01-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Please don't mention Splitter. I had as much hopes for him as I had for Rasho. Even Rasho, with his lane clearing and rotations and RBs would be better than what we have now.

itzsoweezee
01-04-2009, 01:52 PM
The FO needs to look for a Pau Gasol type of trade and accept the cap consequences.

that will never happen.

SenorSpur
01-04-2009, 01:53 PM
It should be obvious to even the most obscure observers that the Spurs (and particularly Tim) do need another big. In fact, I heard NBATV analyst and former Spur, Steve Smith say the same.

Interior post defense, rebounding, shotblocking are skills that are in short supply, outside of Tim. The Spurs will continue to struggle against the bigger frontlines of the NBA, if Tim is forced to continue playing 1 against 2.

While we had hoped Ian would've filled that backup, bigman role by now, he's yet to hit the court and who's to say he plays at all this year. Combine his absence along with Splitter's rebuttal and you have the current situation.

Backup bigmen are in short supply. There simply aren't many options available. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to audition a D-league guy like Courtney Sims.

cherylsteele
01-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Without the usual bashing and trashing, what are the Spurs options for this season? Play with what we have---- early elimination. With and without Tim we get beaten off the boards and can't protect the rim. We have a ton of smalls. We struggle with under 500% teams. We rely on too many 3's! We are overplaying Tim, Tony and eventually Manu. IMO the Spurs FO need to forget the 2010 FA market and get someone who can contribute this season. We have no #1 pick next draft. The FO needs to look for a Pau Gasol type of trade and accept the cap consequences. Trade Splitter's rights plus multiple players for someone who can contribute the next 49 games. Otherwise we enter next season with basiclly the same team as this year and with the same results.
I just love these people who come in and make these posts/threads saying we need a certain type of player, but never realistically mention who or how the Spurs would do it.
Might as well say Splitter's rights for Howard, straight up.

SpursDynasty
01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't get it.... After the 2006 Mavs series, we weren't athletic enough. Then, we're too old.... Then we bring in some slightly younger players, and are slightly more athletic this year. Last year, our offense struggled, this year we're a three-point shooting team with decent offense....And NOW, we're not big enough.

Allanon
01-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I agree that the lack of another Big is the show-stopper for the Spurs this year. Mahinmi may or may not show up. As good as Duncan is, he can't play against the bigger lineups by himself, especially when the Spurs Small Forward is usually being used to defend a guard.

I believe Brad Miller, Joe Smith, Marcus Camby are the common names being floated around these days.

I also think guys like Amare and Boozer can be had for the right price.

If you're willing to give up one of the Big 3 (Tony Parker) you can probably get Amare. Duncan/Manu/George Hill/Amare wouldn't be a bad lineup.

Boozer might be had for the price of a Manu. How about Duncan/Boozer/Money/Parker?

If you're gun-shy, for the other lesser-named bigs, it would probably take George Hill or Mason in trade.

And of course, guys like Vaughn might be filler material.

Tully365
01-04-2009, 02:24 PM
The Spurs had a very good plan in place-- bring in young guys Mahinmi and Splitter-- but unfortunately fate has decided to make those plans fail so far. It's true that at this point that any of the bigs from the past like Nazr, Elson, or Rasho would be a small but welcome addition.. that's how bittersweet irony works though... oh well.

Tomorrow, January 5th, is the first day for 10 day contracts. Someone without a doubt will be signing Sims. I hope it's the Spurs. His strengths-- rebounding, getting to the free throw line, size-- are all weaknesses for this Spurs team, and unfortunately their well made plans have simply not panned out this time.

SenorSpur
01-04-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't get it.... After the 2006 Mavs series, we weren't athletic enough. Then, we're too old.... Then we bring in some slightly younger players, and are slightly more athletic this year. Last year, our offense struggled, this year we're a three-point shooting team with decent offense....And NOW, we're not big enough.

No one is questioning the moves made. The NBA is an ever-changing league. The Spurs have added "much-needed" pieces over the past couple of seasons to continue improving the team. These additions were essential toward helping them remain competitive and in contention for a title.

If you watched last year's playoffs, you may recall how successful Chandler (Hornets) and Gasol (Fakers) were in getting points in the paint and how badly the Spurs were routinely beaten on the glass. While Duncan was his usual brilliant self, he simply can't do it alone. In fact, he was forced to play cautiously to avoid foul trouble, as Oberto and KT were simply were ineffective against these bigger more athletic frontlines.

Allanon is absolutely spot on with this one. All these factors are clear indications as to why another big is needed. If the Spurs didn't feel that way, they wouldn't have ever took a flyer on Mahinmi or Splitter in the first place. The plan was to have one or both on the roster by now. Thus far, it hasn't panned out. As a result, another sort of contingent, backup big player is needed. Pop can't play small all the time. The moral of the story is any good GM never stops trying to improve the team.

Leftyventricle
01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
we should get yi jianlian.

ChumpDumper
01-04-2009, 03:38 PM
No one is questioning the moves made.:rollin

Tully365
01-04-2009, 03:45 PM
The moral of the story is any good GM never stops trying to improve the team.

Exactly.

Austin_Toros
01-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to audition a D-league guy like Courtney Sims.

everyone seems to have jumped on Courtney Sims.
i hope spurs sign him to shut everyone up :lol

mathbzh
01-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Do you know if this one is available?

http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/wrlds/strwrs/pr/img/orig/Episode_4_Han_Solo_and_Chewbacca_1.jpg

Bartleby
01-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Wookies are notorious for getting into foul trouble.

BlackBellamy
01-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Chewie wouldn't help our age situation either. He was like 200 years old by the end of Jedi! It isn't wise to upset a wookiee though. 'I suggest you let the wookiee win'.

Darthkiller
01-04-2009, 04:54 PM
hamed haddadi anyone?

Tully365
01-04-2009, 05:14 PM
everyone seems to have jumped on Courtney Sims.
i hope spurs sign him to shut everyone up :lol

:lol

But just to give you an idea of how well Sims has been playing so far: he leads the D league in the Efficiency statistic with a rating of 30.7. The guys that are numbers 2, 3, and 4 have ratings of 23.77, 23.67, and 22.0. The space between Sims and the number 2 guy in the league is the same as the space between the #2 guy and the #37 guy in the D league, whose rating is 16.8.

The leader of the EFF stat in the NBA is LeBron at 29.8, followed by Chris Paul, D Wade, and Dwight Howard, who are all rated above 26.

SenorSpur
01-04-2009, 05:14 PM
The Spurs had a very good plan in place-- bring in young guys Mahinmi and Splitter-- but unfortunately fate has decided to make those plans fail so far. It's true that at this point that any of the bigs from the past like Nazr, Elson, or Rasho would be a small but welcome addition.. that's how bittersweet irony works though... oh well.

Tomorrow, January 5th, is the first day for 10 day contracts. Someone without a doubt will be signing Sims. I hope it's the Spurs. His strengths-- rebounding, getting to the free throw line, size-- are all weaknesses for this Spurs team, and unfortunately their well made plans have simply not panned out this time.

No kidding. Looks like he may not last much longer at that level.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56376/20090104/courtney_sims_named_d_league_player_of_december/

Courtney Sims of the Iowa Energy has been named NBA Development League Player of the Month for games played in December. Earlier in the season, Sims was named NBA D-League Performer of the Week for games played during the Week of Nov. 28.

In seven games (6-1) for the Energy during December, Sims is averaging 24.3 points and 13.0 rebounds while shooting 62-percent (67-of-109) from the floor. Through December, the Energy posted a 9-1 overall record.

ChumpDumper
01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
hamed haddadi anyone?Ok potential, but he would need two seasons in Austin before he could play for the Spurs. He was pretty clueless when I saw him play for Dakota.

ChumpDumper
01-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm sure several teams were just waiting to get a look at Sims in person at the showcase this coming week. If he plays like he has been, he'll get a call up.

2centsworth
01-04-2009, 05:23 PM

http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/wrlds/strwrs/pr/img/orig/Episode_4_Han_Solo_and_Chewbacca_1.jpg

he's in phoenix and 200 lbs heavier.

xtremesteven33
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I trust Pop to make the right decision.

InK
01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
We need to play some fucking d, thats all.

Russ
01-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Darryl Watkins showed some promise but apparently he's in China now.

Capt Bringdown
01-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I just love these people who come in and make these posts/threads saying we need a certain type of player, but never realistically mention who or how the Spurs would do it.
Might as well say Splitter's rights for Howard, straight up.

Everyone knows our options are limited. In order to get something, you gotta give - who, other than the Spurs FO, knows the specifics of a possible/pending deal?

Ditty
01-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Marcus Camby Nuff Said

HarlemHeat37
01-04-2009, 08:56 PM
we don't need a star or anything, just a guy to give us a new dimension..I'd love to have Bonner and Thomas playing rotation minutes, but we need a guy that does something different than them..meaning blocking shots and providing athleticism..Thomas and Bonner will be useful no matter what, we just need a guy for certain matchups.

we can sign some D-Leaguers and hope somebody breaks out..it's very possible, since we only need a role player..it's happened in the past with many teams..

HAITAO
01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
come here

hitmanyr2k
01-04-2009, 09:45 PM
It doesn't matter what player the Spurs sign. They're gonna waste him and probably kill his confidence by sitting him on the bench everytime he makes a little mistake. I've seen it time and time again with this team.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-04-2009, 10:11 PM

:lmao

What about Sean Williams, or is his BBIQ too low? The Nets just sent him to the DL, so we may be able to get him cheap.

txallstar
01-04-2009, 10:51 PM
need some one but nothing really available....

and no d-league blows. has any one ever worked out? hardly.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-04-2009, 11:07 PM
need some one but nothing really available....

and no d-league blows. has any one ever worked out? hardly.

Ignorant post. The DL has produced a lot of decent NBA players:

"Many former NBA draftees, waived players and undrafted players have played in the NBA D-League. Some of the NBA D-League players that have gone on to successful NBA careers include Rafer Alston, Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Brandon Bass, Andray Blatche, Devin Brown, Matt Carroll, Jordan Farmar, Chuck Hayes, Anthony Johnson, C.J. Miles, Jamario Moon, Mikki Moore, Bobby Simmons, Jose Juan Barea, Ime Udoka, C.J. Watson, Martell Webster.

Currently, there are only 2 players with D-League experience who won an NBA title, Devin Brown with San Antonio Spurs in 2004-05 season and Gabe Pruitt with Boston Celtics in 2007-08 season.

In 2008 NBA Draft, Portland Trail Blazers drafted Mike Taylor from Idaho Stampede. He became the first player from the NBA D-League to be drafted by an NBA team. He was subsequently traded and signed a rookie contract with Los Angeles Clippers.[8]

35 former NBA D-League players were on the 2006-07 NBA opening day roster. The number increased into 44 players on 2007-08 and then 60 players on 2008-09 NBA season.[9]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Development_League#Successful_NBA_call-ups

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Ignorant post. The DL has produced a lot of decent NBA players:

"Many former NBA draftees, waived players and undrafted players have played in the NBA D-League. Some of the NBA D-League players that have gone on to successful NBA careers include Rafer Alston, Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Brandon Bass, Andray Blatche, Devin Brown, Matt Carroll, Jordan Farmar, Chuck Hayes, Anthony Johnson, C.J. Miles, Jamario Moon, Mikki Moore, Bobby Simmons, Jose Juan Barea, Ime Udoka, C.J. Watson, Martell Webster.

Currently, there are only 2 players with D-League experience who won an NBA title, Devin Brown with San Antonio Spurs in 2004-05 season and Gabe Pruitt with Boston Celtics in 2007-08 season.

In 2008 NBA Draft, Portland Trail Blazers drafted Mike Taylor from Idaho Stampede. He became the first player from the NBA D-League to be drafted by an NBA team. He was subsequently traded and signed a rookie contract with Los Angeles Clippers.[8]

35 former NBA D-League players were on the 2006-07 NBA opening day roster. The number increased into 44 players on 2007-08 and then 60 players on 2008-09 NBA season.[9]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Development_League#Successful_NBA_call-ups

I agree with most of those except Udoka really sucks.

nice post, btw :tu

m33p0
01-04-2009, 11:19 PM
inevitably, this is a splitter thread.

what about renaldo balkman?

bigdog
01-05-2009, 01:22 AM
inevitably, this is a splitter thread.

what about renaldo balkman?

Balkman is not a big man. He is a small forward. Would I like him as a potential small forward prospect? Yes, but not as a potential rotation big man down low who can take at least some of the pressure off of Tim.

BlackBellamy
01-05-2009, 01:44 AM
It doesn't matter what player the Spurs sign. They're gonna waste him and probably kill his confidence by sitting him on the bench everytime he makes a little mistake. I've seen it time and time again with this team.
Who have we 'wasted'? Rasho? Nazr? Elson? Beno? Van Exel? Mighty Mouse? These were all truly disappointing relationships for the Spurs (and for the most part rightfully so). With the exception of Beno (and I still don't want him on my team) none of these fellas were/are up to much on their teams following leaving the Spurs. I don't think that your understanding really holds water.

Manufan909
01-05-2009, 03:13 AM
Damn, hope Courtney Sims has kept up on the Spurs and know that he is an ideal player for them, I'd hate for Pop to try to call him up and realize someone else beat him to it.

m33p0
01-05-2009, 03:57 AM
Balkman is not a big man. He is a small forward. Would I like him as a potential small forward prospect? Yes, but not as a potential rotation big man down low who can take at least some of the pressure off of Tim.
the problem is big men are either a) too untalented, or b) too expensive. i put out balkman out there coz i believe he is underutilized and is a better rebounder/shot blocker than his numbers suggest... and he is cheap. $1.36m this year. some analyst are of the opinion that defense is his strong point. he might just be the banger the spurs are looking for.

mountainballer
01-05-2009, 05:17 AM

Boozer is currently injured, to expensive and will go to Miami next summer anyhow.
the other one is now old enough, but I read he takes 20 million $. per game.

Rogue
01-05-2009, 05:28 AM
are you kidding? Yidiot jianlian isn't worth his salary, or even half of his salary. except Oberto none of our spurs doesn't deserve his salary, but I would rather retain Oberto than trade him for Yidiot jianlian who is just a skeleton covered with dirty-colored skin. Yidiot jianlian reminds me of Bradley everytime he appears on the screen, but Yi's Yidiology makes him different from Bradley.

Ice009
01-05-2009, 06:03 AM
I'm sure several teams were just waiting to get a look at Sims in person at the showcase this coming week. If he plays like he has been, he'll get a call up.

What do you think of Sims?

You think he'd be better than Tolliver? Should the Spurs give him a call up?

mrspurs
01-05-2009, 06:26 AM
No one is questioning the moves made. The NBA is an ever-changing league. The Spurs have added "much-needed" pieces over the past couple of seasons to continue improving the team. These additions were essential toward helping them remain competitive and in contention for a title.

If you watched last year's playoffs, you may recall how successful Chandler (Hornets) and Gasol (Fakers) were in getting points in the paint and how badly the Spurs were routinely beaten on the glass. While Duncan was his usual brilliant self, he simply can't do it alone. In fact, he was forced to play cautiously to avoid foul trouble, as Oberto and KT were simply were ineffective against these bigger more athletic frontlines.

Allanon is absolutely spot on with this one. All these factors are clear indications as to why another big is needed. If the Spurs didn't feel that way, they wouldn't have ever took a flyer on Mahinmi or Splitter in the first place. The plan was to have one or both on the roster by now. Thus far, it hasn't panned out. As a result, another sort of contingent, backup big player is needed. Pop can't play small all the time. The moral of the story is any good GM never stops trying to improve the team.

Why dont people just wake up. Theres no bashing going on here. This isnt last season or the season before that. Its a whole different NBA. And anyone whos been paying attention can easily see our teams needs. Most of the True Spur/NBA Fans are wondering are the Spurs gonna play out the season and fill seats, or are they gonna help Timmy and make a serious run at another title? Thats all it is. No more no less. Well said by both Allanon and Senor.

mrspurs
01-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Marcus Camby Nuff Said

20 boards and 2 blocks in his last game. Incredible for his age imo.

Leftyventricle
01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
seriously bros, since we can't get Yao, we need Yi Jianlian or Sun Yue or Mengke Bateer or Sun Ming Ming or Wang Zhizhi.

mexicanjunior
01-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Theo Ratliff looked pretty good for the Sixers on Saturday, I bet the Spurs could get him for a 2nd round pick and filler. He would bring just about everything Mutombo would have except he is a few years longer. He has missed so much time due to injury over his career, I bet his legs are relatively fresh. I think he would provide the rebounding, defense and shot blocking this team needs to at least compete with the best frontlines in the league...

ChumpDumper
01-05-2009, 05:15 PM
What do you think of Sims?

You think he'd be better than Tolliver? Should the Spurs give him a call up?He's a completely different player. He is playing at the level you want to see in the D-League for a call up, but who knows if he could crack the rotation this season.

FromWayDowntown
01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm generally suspcious of bigs who put up good/great D-League numbers, but whose rights aren't held by any team. Big men who can really play at the NBA level aren't often overlooked by NBA teams, which are almost always hungry for bigs who can really play at the NBA level. The hint of that ability is often enough for a team to lock up even marginal prospects in the hope that they'll pan out. The fact that no team holds the rights to a big man generally signals -- to me at least -- a widespread doubt that he can really play. It's not remarkable to me that a big player might have a game that allows him to dominate at the D-League level but that doesn't translate very well to the big leagues.

I'm not saying that Courtney Sims can't or won't make it at the NBA level, but I think its curious that no team has been willing to even retain his rights (despite the fact that both the Pacers and Hornets have had him around for long-ish looks). I'd be skeptical about pinning much in the way of hopes on such a player.

DAF86
01-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I still wonder what was the management of this team thinking when they signed Oberto over Scola.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I still wonder what was the management of this team thinking when they signed Oberto over Scola.They were thinking they could sign Scola that summer.

DAF86
01-05-2009, 05:55 PM
They were thinking they could sign Scola that summer.

So the thing that I still wonder is why the hell didn't they sign him?

P.S: Sorry for bringing this up again. I promise this is the last time I mention it.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2009, 06:00 PM
So the thing that I still wonder is why the hell didn't they sign him?That summer his buyout was still ridiculous, and the following summer the Spurs drafted Splitter and were over the tax threshold, so they figured they could let his rights go.

Money decisions are never much fun or sensible from a basketball standpoint.

01-05-2009, 06:05 PM
james gist was actually sent to europe to kidnap splitter and brainwash the owners of tau into letting him go.

DAF86
01-05-2009, 06:11 PM
That summer his buyout was still ridiculous, and the following summer the Spurs drafted Splitter and were over the tax threshold, so they figured they could let his rights go.

Money decisions are never much fun or sensible from a basketball standpoint.

Didn't know that, thanks. It's good to know there was a somewhat reasonable reason not to sign him.

Russ
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I still wonder what was the management of this team thinking when they signed Oberto over Scola.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Tully365
01-05-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm generally suspcious of bigs who put up good/great D-League numbers, but whose rights aren't held by any team. Big men who can really play at the NBA level aren't often overlooked by NBA teams, which are almost always hungry for bigs who can really play at the NBA level. The hint of that ability is often enough for a team to lock up even marginal prospects in the hope that they'll pan out. The fact that no team holds the rights to a big man generally signals -- to me at least -- a widespread doubt that he can really play. It's not remarkable to me that a big player might have a game that allows him to dominate at the D-League level but that doesn't translate very well to the big leagues.

I'm not saying that Courtney Sims can't or won't make it at the NBA level, but I think its curious that no team has been willing to even retain his rights (despite the fact that both the Pacers and Hornets have had him around for long-ish looks). I'd be skeptical about pinning much in the way of hopes on such a player.

I would generally agree with your assessment-- but those rare situations do occur where someone is a late bloomer or a hidden gem. I read dozens & dozens of pre-draft reports this year and not a single one thought George Hill was a first round draft pick... they were all wrong. For me, Sims came on strong late last year in the D league, and now has played extremely well this season... again, I don't view him as a "savior" or as a replacement for David Robinson, but I think he could contribute 10+ mpg as a center, basically replacing what the Spurs had hoped Mahinmi might be able to produce. If Mahinmi comes back this season, it sets up a battle between two young centers to see which one gets 12 mpg and which one gets, say, 3-5 mpg. I just don't see how guys like Tolliver or Vaughn are going to address this team's current weaknesses, whereas to a small degree Sims-- even in very limited minutes-- possibly could.

FromWayDowntown
01-05-2009, 07:26 PM
I would generally agree with your assessment-- but those rare situations do occur where someone is a late bloomer or a hidden gem. I read dozens & dozens of pre-draft reports this year and not a single one thought George Hill was a first round draft pick... they were all wrong.

You make a valid point, but I think it differs from mine in 2 basic ways. First, while some were skeptical that Hill would be a first round pick, it seems that few in the know (other than the league itself, perhaps) doubted that Hill would be drafted.

But even if that were somehow questionable, the fact of the matter -- in my mind at least -- is that big men are evaluated in a qualitatively different way than guards and wings. That is, I think more marginal big men are drafted than are marginal guards and wings; left to choose between a fringe prospect with size and a fringe prospect who plays outside, teams will almost always lean towards size. Because of that, when everyone passes on a big guy, I tend to think that there are pretty legitimate doubts about whether that guy can play.

Those doubts are more pronounced when the same guy gets 2 opportunities in the league but never shows enough -- even to teams that could use help at the 4 or the 5 -- to stick. I might be alone in my assessment, but I certainly think that a team like the Hornets could benefit from having another big man around who can play and eat up minutes. The fact that they had Sims in their camp this fall and chose against keeping him around is a red flag about just how well his game can translate to the NBA.

Certainly, as I've said, there are exceptions to every rule. Udonis Haslem wasn't drafted and has turned out to be a quality player in the league (though I think Haslem is a different case because he fundamentally changed his body between his draft eligibility and his arrival in the NBA). But with big guys in this situation -- legitimately-sized, undrafted, and excelling in the D-League -- I'm generally inclined to believe that the maximum upside is something like Mikki Moore. Frankly, I'm not sure that adding Mikki Moore to the Spurs roster would change much.

In Sims' case, I'm not impressed with the D-League numbers, particularly given the passes that other teams have taken on him recently. Maybe I'm wrong about it. For his sake I hope I am. Obviously, I don't get paid to evaluate basketball players; but it says a lot to me that the guys who do get paid to make those decisions have generally decided against investing much in this guy.

For me, Sims came on strong late last year in the D league, and now has played extremely well this season... again, I don't view him as a "savior" or as a replacement for David Robinson, but I think he could contribute 10+ mpg as a center, basically replacing what the Spurs had hoped Mahinmi might be able to produce. If Mahinmi comes back this season, it sets up a battle between two young centers to see which one gets 12 mpg and which one gets, say, 3-5 mpg. I just don't see how guys like Tolliver or Vaughn are going to address this team's current weaknesses, whereas Sims-- even in very limited minutes-- possibly could.

I understand that you're offering fairly low expectations but hope that he might pan out. I would suggest again that the pass that the Hornets took on him is instructive. The Hornets had a roster spot available (by my count, they only have 14 guys on their roster) and still chose to jettison Sims. They've found playing time in their big spots for Sean Marks, so to me, that says something.

I also would dispute Vaughn's worth at this point, if only insofar as he keeps the Spurs at least serviceable at the point if Hill is injured or otherwise falls on his face. I'm growing more skeptical of Tolliver's value, though I can see that he at least plays hard and has some of the earmarks of a poor man's Malik Rose, circa 1998 or so.

Tully365
01-05-2009, 07:49 PM
You make good points, FWDT, and I don't fundamentally disagree with any of them. Generally speaking, the #11, 12, and 13 guys on the roster are rarely going to represent the difference between winning and losing anyway, and as much as I like Tolliver's energy, I just think that gambling on a rebounder/shot-blocker at this point makes more sense than gambling on an undersized PF who likes to shoot the three. If Sims can grow as much in the next half year as he seems to have in the past half year, the Spurs have a reliable 3rd string center.

And I can still remember a time just a few years ago when Tyson Chandler was being called a bust... though I know the Spurs took a shot at him when he was available.

Do you think that the Spurs are in need of another big body defensively?

Rogue
01-05-2009, 11:07 PM
DAF86 [/B]I still wonder what was the management of this team thinking when they signed Oberto over Scola.

it should be blamed to Jakie Piggy Butler. Spurs wanted the rockets to swallow Butler's garbage contract, the expense was just the rights to scola. that's was a gamble and our bid was the possibility that Scola is as bad as or even worse than Jakie, but we lost the gamble. Scola deserves the rockets to eat butler's gargabe fetide contract.

HarlemHeat37
01-05-2009, 11:40 PM
again..

you guys have to realize that we might look to the D-League for a breakout player, but NOT for a star..we're going to be looking for a ROLE PLAYER that can give us a dimension that Bonner and Thomas can't for certain situations..

we aren't looking for the next Duncan or KG, we're looking for a Kendrick Perkins type of player, because that's all we need..

those aren't unrealistic expectations..it'll be difficult, but it's not unrealistic..

SenorSpur
01-06-2009, 12:04 AM
again..

you guys have to realize that we might look to the D-League for a breakout player, but NOT for a star..we're going to be looking for a ROLE PLAYER that can give us a dimension that Bonner and Thomas can't for certain situations..

we aren't looking for the next Duncan or KG, we're looking for a Kendrick Perkins type of player, because that's all we need..

those aren't unrealistic expectations..it'll be difficult, but it's not unrealistic..

That's all we need is a backup big that can defend, rebound, maybe block a few shots and play good positional defense for about 8 - 12 mins

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Wookies are notorious for getting into foul trouble.

I wish Kerr knew this before selecting Robin Lopez.

Spurtacus
01-06-2009, 12:10 AM
We need the Gist and Camby or Kaman.

Yorae
01-06-2009, 01:00 AM
I got an idea, we could surgically transfer tolliver's ankle in place of ian's.....

TDMVPDPOY
01-06-2009, 01:11 AM
we couldve had kwame brown for the MLE.... :(

m33p0
01-06-2009, 01:56 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/pod_090103.jpg

SenorSpur
01-07-2009, 04:57 PM
In case anyone cares, TD is averaging somewhere around 36 mins per game. Yet another clear sign that another reserve big is needed to offload Duncan.

ChumpDumper
01-07-2009, 05:01 PM
35:23

-- a whole 1:23 more per game than last season.

The horror.

duncan228
01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
In case anyone cares, TD is averaging somewhere around 36 mins per game. Yet another clear sign that another reserve big is needed to offload Duncan.

I care. Both Pop and Duncan skated around it in this morning's practice interview, but I think it must be the first consideration on everyone's mind. This team runs through Duncan, they both said that today too. If he's worn down we go nowhere in the Playoffs.

I do think Duncan came into this season in great shape, and so far he's handling the minutes okay. It's been wonderful watching him strong out of the gate. But there's got to be some back up, the sooner the better.

duncan228
01-07-2009, 05:05 PM
35:23

-- a whole 1:23 more per game than last season.

The horror.

:lol

It's not much but I think it can go either way. He, and therefore the team, either benefits from it and stays fresh all the way, or it begins to wear on him. I'd rather see a back up plan than take the chance.

ChumpDumper
01-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm all for getting another big man, but I'm just not terribly afraid for Duncan's durability.

SenorSpur
01-07-2009, 05:22 PM
For everyone who watched Duncan singlehandedly going toe-to-toe with the frontlines of the Fakers, Hornets and Suns last year (with virtually little help), then that should worry you more.

ChumpDumper
01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
What can I say? I don't worry about basketball much.

Brazil
01-07-2009, 05:29 PM
What can I say? I don't worry about basketball much.

yeah it's just a game after all.

FromWayDowntown
01-07-2009, 05:40 PM

Kendrick Perkins is a first round talent who's had a learning curve while growing from a high school player into a professional. Guys with that kind of ability don't tend to toil in the D-League -- at least not without having been sent there by a team to develop.

If you're looking for Kendrick Perkins, I suspect you'll be disappointed when you actually get a poor man's Mikki Moore.

And I can still remember a time just a few years ago when Tyson Chandler was being called a bust... though I know the Spurs took a shot at him when he was available.

Do you think that the Spurs are in need of another big body defensively?

Like Perkins, I think the issue with Chandler was never a question of talent. He's an even more talented player than a guy like Perkins and it took him a while to physically develop. Chandler's ability to play on the defensive end has been pretty much evident since he came into the league and he's been a credible rebounder since he turned 20. I think Chandler became expendable to the Bulls mostly because they believed themselves to be contenders to win the East and sought veterans with experience to bolster a young roster for that run. They needed to move Chandler to gain flexibility to obtain Ben Wallace, but they also targeted P.J. Brown in the deal to gain experience and a better offensive bigman in their effort. I don't think it was just a matter of believing that Chandler couldn't play. And, clearly, the Hornets believed that Chandler could play.

Do I think the Spurs would benefit from having another big body to play defense and rebound? Absolutely. But I don't think grabbing undrafted castoffs from the D-League is a very likely resource for finding such players. I understand that it's not about seeking a star -- my point all along has been that I tend to be skeptical that guys like Sims (for all of the reasons I've listed before) are even capable of being useful 13th, 14th, or 15th guys on the roster of teams that have title aspirations. The fact that some are contemplating a belief that Sims (or a similar player) could come in and play consistent minutes -- something that 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, and 15th men don't get -- strikes me as silly.

Frankly, if the Spurs are seeking a big man who can provide credible and reliable help on the defensive end, they'd be better served talking to Indiana about Rasho's expiring deal or to the Bucks about the corpse of Francisco Elson than combing through undrafted prospects in the D-League.