PDA

View Full Version : There are only 4 players in the top 15 in Rebs & Blocks per 48

kev
01-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I agree with most that the Spurs need another big to have a realistic shot at title #5 this year. I believe they need someone who can both rebound and protect the rim (blocks). A mobile big who can rotate quickly would be a big plus.

Looking at the stats, there are only 4 big men who are in the top 15 in both rebounds and blocks per 48 minutes played (and no, Tim is not one of them - he comes in at 19th and 27th, respectively). I know some don't like the "per 48" stats, but unless a guy is averaging 5 or 10 minutes in garbage time, I think it can be a good indicator.

Dwight Howard is 2nd (rebs) and 3rd (blocks). We ain't gettin him.

Marcus Camby is 1st and 5th. As some have mentioned, he could be the perfect compliment to Tim, but with a salary of $10 million, it ain't happenin.

Samuel Dalembert is 9th and 15th. Some have mentioned him as an option as well, but like Camby, his $11 million + salary makes it all but impossible.

I'll bet nobody can guess who the 4th player is - it's Joakim Noah. He is 13th in rebounding (15.6) and 10th in blocks (3.38) per 48. He's 6' 11". He's making $2.3 million in the second year of his contract. He's mobile and great in the open court. He's averaging about 18 minutes per game but is behind Tyrus Thomas and Drew Gooden.

Of course, he would come with some baggage, but if the Spurs could get him to fly straight, that would be a hell of an addition for just over 2 mil. You won't find a better bargain with those numbers, period. With his enthusiasm, I could see him being a fan favorite.

Anyway, I'm tired of all the unrealistic names being thrown out there. This is doable. I'm not sure what the Bulls would want in return, but it certainly wouldn't take one of the big 3 to do it. In a perfect world, they would take Udoka and Vaughn (their salaries add up to around $2.3 mil). Anyway, I say it's worth a phone call.

DAF86
01-04-2009, 03:38 PM
I say it's worth a phone call.

Yep

mathbzh
01-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I would like him as a Spurs. I am sure he would flourish playing for a winning team.
But I don't think we could propose the Bulls anything they need.

Tully365
01-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Noah has a very strong and strange personality... I'd bet that many would find him difficult to be around for extended periods-- especially an understated guy like Duncan. That being said, I agree that he could be helpful, especially if he didn't worry about his shots and focused 100% on rebounding and defense.

Austin_Toros
01-04-2009, 03:57 PM
joakim noah MIGHT be a possibility and also tyrus thomas

both these guys were in their coaches doghouse and the coach publicly criticized them.
so they might be up for grabs

but im not sure if they would want anyone we could give

DAF86
01-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I would like him as a Spurs. I am sure he would flourish playing for a winning team.
But I don't think we could propose the Bulls anything they need.

Two expiring contracts and some money compesation maybe? If the Bulls want to get rid of him, they would take the two expiring contracts only.

exstatic
01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I've liked Noah since he called out vets like Big Ben last year for a casual attitude about losing.

5.8 boards and 1.2 blocks in 18.3 minutes is ridiculously good.

honestfool84
01-04-2009, 04:39 PM
i'd have him cut his hair.

exstatic
01-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Noah has a very strong and strange personality... I'd bet that many would find him difficult to be around for extended periods-- especially an understated guy like Duncan.
His personality isn't much different from Jax, who was good friends with Tim.

exstatic
01-04-2009, 04:42 PM

OK, Delilah...

BlackBellamy
01-04-2009, 04:43 PM

No way. Then he would lose his power.

Brazil
01-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Boris Diaw !!!!! :)

silk
01-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Noah would certainly make our team better

Mail it to R.C

jag
01-04-2009, 05:13 PM
jgTTMJ862UY

SenorSpur
01-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Might be a good time to call Chicago

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56365/20090103/frustration_mounting_in_chicago/

The frustration is mounting in Chicago after the Bulls lost yet another game to the Magic on Friday night.

"We talked a bit," Andres Nocioni said after the game. "Frustration; that's it. We don't win. We don't play good. It has to stop."

Chicago lost 117-92, and players were seen yelling at each other during a few timeouts.

"When you're playing and losing by 20 points, you're frustrated," Joakim Noah said. "In the heat of the moment, things are said. But I don't have any problems with 'Noce.' "

SenorSpur
01-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I agree with most that the Spurs need another big to have a realistic shot at title #5 this year. I believe they need someone who can both rebound and protect the rim (blocks). A mobile big who can rotate quickly would be a big plus.

Looking at the stats, there are only 4 big men who are in the top 15 in both rebounds and blocks per 48 minutes played (and no, Tim is not one of them - he comes in at 19th and 27th, respectively). I know some don't like the "per 48" stats, but unless a guy is averaging 5 or 10 minutes in garbage time, I think it can be a good indicator.

Dwight Howard is 2nd (rebs) and 3rd (blocks). We ain't gettin him.

Marcus Camby is 1st and 5th. As some have mentioned, he could be the perfect compliment to Tim, but with a salary of $10 million, it ain't happenin.

Samuel Dalembert is 9th and 15th. Some have mentioned him as an option as well, but like Camby, his $11 million + salary makes it all but impossible.

I'll bet nobody can guess who the 4th player is - it's Joakim Noah. He is 13th in rebounding (15.6) and 10th in blocks (3.38) per 48. He's 6' 11". He's making $2.3 million in the second year of his contract. He's mobile and great in the open court. He's averaging about 18 minutes per game but is behind Tyrus Thomas and Drew Gooden.

Of course, he would come with some baggage, but if the Spurs could get him to fly straight, that would be a hell of an addition for just over 2 mil. You won't find a better bargain with those numbers, period. With his enthusiasm, I could see him being a fan favorite.

Anyway, I'm tired of all the unrealistic names being thrown out there. This is doable. I'm not sure what the Bulls would want in return, but it certainly wouldn't take one of the big 3 to do it. In a perfect world, they would take Udoka and Vaughn (their salaries add up to around $2.3 mil). Anyway, I say it's worth a phone call.

Home run! Touchdown! Sold!

Really like this idea. I think Noah would be a perfect, low-cost option, as a backup big. I have no worries about his baggage or in Pop's ability to give this kid the necessary structure needed for him to be successful.

I don't know if the Bulls would want any players on the Spurs roster, but it's certainly worth a look. Also, I'm usually not fond of burning draft choices as trade chips, but I'd certainly offer up a combo of an expiring contract and possibly a future 1st or 2nd rounder for this kid. After all, the Spurs have 3 second rounders in the upcoming draft. Maybe there's a possible package to made there.

Way to go Kev! :tu :tu

T Park
01-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Yeah the Bulls are gonna trade a good back up center for Udoka and Vaughn...

mystargtr34
01-04-2009, 06:29 PM
It would take the Spurs 2010 First Rounder or Splitter/Mahinmi aswell.

Which i dont think is worth it.

InK
01-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Wouldnt that be perfect?

wildbill2u
01-04-2009, 06:47 PM
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _! :downspin:

InK
01-04-2009, 06:50 PM
It would take the Spurs 2010 First Rounder or Splitter/Mahinmi aswell.

Which i dont think is worth it.

So start talking trade udoka/ vaughn for.....(x), not get "player x" via some miracle. If we aint willing to imaginary part with anything, whats the point of this imaginary conversations?

kace
01-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Noah with Tim and with this team would be the perfect fit. i still don't understand why people in Chicago are stupid enough to not give him a bigger role (and minutes) in their team.
I still can't imagine they are dumb enough to trade him to the spurs for player(s) who would made the salary match (which means two scrubs).

Bruno
01-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Right now, Noah is a quite bad player. He has no offensive game and he does too much mistakes on the defensive end.
He could turn as a good player down the road if he grows up and works on his game.

I wouldn't give something value for him. If he is available for almost nothing, he could be an interesting prospect to work with but I doubt he is that available.

Spurs Brazil
01-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Right now, Noah is a quite bad player. He has no offensive game and he does too much mistakes on the defensive end.
He could turn as a good player down the road if he grows up and works on his game.

I wouldn't give something value for him. If he is available for almost nothing, he could be an interesting prospect to work with but I doubt he is that available.

I saw 2 Bulls games last week and thy were horrible. Noah is terrible, Thomas is even worst. Nocioni is also very bad. Del Negreo won't be there much time

kace
01-04-2009, 07:24 PM

i have to admit i haven't seen him play a lot this year. but i watched him a lot last year and the guy is great for what we would ask: rebounds, defense, blocks.

this year, his stats look good: 5.8 rbds and 1.2 blks for 18 minutes and still shooting at 50 %.

i suppose you watched him recently so are you saing he sucks right now (and why), meaning his stats could be deceptive, or do you think he sucks as a player, even last year, in which case i'd have to strongly disagree ?

Bruno
01-04-2009, 08:14 PM
i suppose you watched him recently so are you saing he sucks right now (and why), meaning his stats could be deceptive, or do you think he sucks as a player, even last year, in which case i'd have to strongly disagree ?

He had a good stretch for a rookie last year but he has sucked this year.

He is an offensive liability. He has no jump shot and isn't strong enough to play close to the basket. He is just limited to some transition offense and some putbacks.
When you are that bad at an end of a court, you had to be great at the other end and it's not the case with Noah. He is a quite good defender because he is a athletic seven footer who plays hard. However, he really needs to play more sounded defense that is to say not trying to block everything, sticking with his man and playing within the team defense.

exstatic
01-04-2009, 08:21 PM

Pssst. He's as big a bust as Bargnani.

kace
01-04-2009, 08:29 PM
He had a good stretch for a rookie last year but he has sucked this year.

He is an offensive liability. He has no jump shot and isn't strong enough to play close to the basket. He is just limited to some transition offense and some putbacks.
When you are that bad at an end of a court, you had to be great at the other end and it's not the case with Noah. He is a quite good defender because he is a athletic seven footer who plays hard. However, he really needs to play more sounded defense that is to say not trying to block everything, sticking with his man and playing within the team defense.

OK, thanks. i still think he will be able to be a very useful big man in this league. he obviously has a lot of work to do though.

Cry Havoc
01-04-2009, 10:42 PM
The problem I have with Noah is that, for starters, Chicago has absolutely no other presence in the paint. He gets a lot of blocks for the same reason Camby did last year -- playing behind a weak defensive squad with a lot of opportunities. Being from Chicago, I have seen enough of Noah play to say that he would not be a significant upgrade over Thomas, in terms of rotational ability and presence in the paint. He is simply too inconsistent and mistake prone in the post. While his blocks would be nice from a statistical perspective, he isn't going to intimidate anyone in the West, and his mental gaffes would absolutely drove Pop nuts. He can get overwhelmed at times, and when his confidence drops, so does his ability to make big plays (sound like another big we have?).

I'm not even sure from watching Noah play if these are just mental breakdowns, or if he doesn't possess the athleticism necessary to be a great defender at this level. I think he would struggle in the Spurs system of defense.

It might be worth a shot, but I'm not sure I want to consider a pick for Noah.

mrspurs
01-05-2009, 07:13 AM
I think it would be worth the try. We have no clue how Splitter will play in this league on a nightly basis. The players mentioned above have already shown good or bad, they can take the heat in this league. And we're not talking about All-Star players. They're just names like Elson, Rasho etc. And with that being said they're also not names like Fab and Kurt. Alot of people are missing Fab right now. Thats how bad our bigs have become. When you start missing guys like Fab and Kurt, your in serious need for some Big help. I bet Timmy has his answer already.

mrspurs
01-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Oh and great post btw. Its nice to see someone different make their own statements and facts. I didnt know the Noakester was up there in rebounds.

stéphane
01-05-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm not convinced he's spurs material. I'd pass.

The Truth #6
01-05-2009, 12:42 PM
He looks and acts like the biggest burner in the league. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3411961)

I'm sure the team would get tired of him singing "Insane in the Membrane" everyday during shootaround. I could see Tim trying to make him fit in via playing video games on the road but then Noah would bust out the J, Tim would get that shocked expression like a foul had just been called on him, and then it would get awkward real quick for Noah. He'd try to hang out with the scrubs but they're as straight-laced as anyone on the team. He'd get very bored in SA. He wouldn't focus. I can't imagine it working out.

As for his skills, he's a hustle player with no real skill as far as I can tell. An American Varajeo in every sense, except he hasn't learned flopping yet, which if he came to the Spurs might become a reality.

I agree in the general idea of targeting the Bulls to try and pick up one of their players because the team is loaded with third and fourth bananas that could potentially help a team like us. I'd see them wanting to unload the big contract guys and not the rookie contracts but it's tough to say. Also, Paxon is so damn adverse to trading. He accumulated a lot of talent and potential but fell in love with them.

The Spurs were interested (supposedly) in Tyrus last year. I would consider dangling Splitter's rights and our scrubs but I don't see that getting us a deal, but it's worth a shot. I'm not sure what other options we have that don't involve breaking up the team.

50 cent
01-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Never liked Noah.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 10:45 AM
The one Bull who can least afford to be making waves was at it again last week, splashing around, rocking the boat and doing everything but cannonballs in the murky waters of the red, white and black sea. Joakim Noah, Tyrus Thomas and Larry Hughes were fined after reacting poorly to coach Vinny Del Negro's reminder that Bulls players are not allowed to eat in the locker room before games. The fine, of course, had nothing to do with food and everything to do with who is running the show. Noah seems to have a problem with the concept. As a rookie last season, he got into a verbal altercation with an assistant coach. Earlier that season, he criticized his teammates for a lack of togetherness. Former coach Scott Skiles noted that had Noah actually played more than one NBA game at the time he spouted off, the criticism might have had some meaning. If GM John Paxson jettisons Noah, it will send a message to the rest of the team that good behavior is expected from everyone, even the ninth overall pick in the 2007 draft, even a player in whom the Bulls have invested lots of time and money. Especially him. The scouting report on Noah is that he provides "energy." Some of us view it as bogus energy, sort of like the guy who pretends he's talking on the phone at work in order to look busy. When Noah does get his points, it's normally because a defender has forgotten about him.

Chicago Tribune

Brazil
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
This thread is a litle harsh with noah. He is 24: he has time to develop his game.

I've seen him against Orlando and he was the only one to defend decently Howard.
During this game he played 30 min for 19 pts, 11 reb, 3 assist, 1 blok and 1 interception, he shot 4-6 and went 13 times to the line not so bad against this Orlando team.

IMHO within the spurs organization and with the help of our experienced bigs he could play some solid minutes, develop his IQBB and be a decent contributor.

Brazil
11-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Just a quick bump.

I'm following Noah since the beginning of the season he is doing a fantastic job: 21 reb against Denver for instance. I've also seen he is the 3rd player in 6 years to have compiled 20 points shooting 80%, 15 rebounds and 4 bloks during a W. The other two are KG and O'Neal.

I don't know if he can keep on putting this kind of numbers but I'm impressed. This 6'11 guy with Tim would be amazing.

Danny.Zhu
11-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Just a quick bump.

I'm following Noah since the beginning of the season he is doing a fantastic job: 21 reb against Denver for instance. I've also seen he is the 3rd player in 6 years to have compiled 20 points shooting 80%, 15 rebounds and 4 bloks during a W. The other two are KG and O'Neal.

I don't know if he can keep on putting this kind of numbers but I'm impressed. This 6'11 guy with Tim would be amazing.

Splitter would be better, if only we could get him next year...

Brazil
11-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Splitter would be better, if only we could get him next year...

Well I would say Splitter is more a scoring force than Noah but for the rest I think we can argue. For sure it's very soon but since the beginning of the season Noah has an average of 12 reb and 2,3 bloks. It will be interesting to see what will be his evolution during the season.

I'm sure Splitter will translate well in NBA but he is still a question mark, Noah has demonstrated he can play at a high level in RS and POs, Vinny is doing a great job with him.

rascal
11-13-2009, 09:42 AM
So start talking trade udoka/ vaughn for.....(x), not get "player x" via some miracle. If we aint willing to imaginary part with anything, whats the point of this imaginary conversations?

Exactly
If you only expect to trade Udoka/Vaughn then expect no one who would be a difference maker back.

hater
11-13-2009, 10:21 AM
r u kidding? bulls would not trade Noah if not for Manu or TP

Fabbs
11-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Where does SuperBlair arrive at the rebounds per 48?

stéphane
11-13-2009, 01:37 PM
The most attractive part in Noah's game is the fact that he's one of the best block to foul ratio. He's a force in the paint now. A real good center in the league

da_suns_fan
11-13-2009, 01:45 PM
The Suns were on the verge of making a deal for Noah on draft night with charlotte but they backed out at the last second.

Bummer.

ForeignFan
11-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Might be a candidate for MIP if he keeps on, but frankly does anyone think the Bulls would accept to transfer him now?

Brazil
11-13-2009, 03:37 PM
^no way they would trade him but anyway it is nice to see him growing and above all becoming a respectable player after all his locker room issues last year. Kid is learning.

I. Hustle
11-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I will get on the phone right now with Pop and R.C. and we will discuss this. Does anyone else have any other ideas or things they want me to bring up?

ElNono
11-13-2009, 04:29 PM
I will get on the phone right now with Pop and R.C. and we will discuss this. Does anyone else have any other ideas or things they want me to bring up?

Yeah, tell em to unleash the Hairston...

DPG21920
11-13-2009, 06:32 PM
I have been saying this for a while. Just don't have anything they would want.

VI_Massive
11-13-2009, 08:11 PM
This guy is one of the best 25 and under centers in the league. And he's very affordable for this year and two more. There is no way the Bulls get rid of him for anything less than something seriously good. Something we don't really have.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Yup, Noah is quickly becoming a beast. He has excellent endurance, plays with energizer-bunny energy every game, and is improving very quickly. No way the Bulls part with him for anything less than a star player - he's already good and gonna be great! Except for the sidespin jumpshot, that is... :lol

exstatic
11-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Noah is never going to be a star. He's an outstanding rebounder and shot blocker, but you can't run plays for him. His scoring will always be garbage points. He'll never be traded on his rookie contract. Sadly, Chicago will probably over pay him, and within a year or two, they WILL trade him, but he won't be a bargain at that point.

benefactor
11-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Noah is never going to be a star. He's an outstanding rebounder and shot blocker, but you can't run plays for him. His scoring will always be garbage points. He'll never be traded on his rookie contract. Sadly, Chicago will probably over pay him, and within a year or two, they WILL trade him, but he won't be a bargain at that point.
Exactly. He is great but he is the type of player a team will pay too much for.

Anyway...seeing what happens with Splitter this summer is more the immediate plan for our front line.