PDA

View Full Version : Which major sport has the dumbest athletes?

Spurminator
01-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Of all of the major sports (baseball, football, basketball, hockey), which athletes are the dumbest on average?

I have to say football. Every sport has penalties and fouls, but no game has as many "bonehead" penalties as football. They occur so often that we've come to expect these penalties on a regular basis every time we watch a football game.

Knowing the severity of being hit with a penalty in football, even during crucial points of the game, football players can usually be expected to do any of the following:

- Jump before the ball is snapped
- Grab an opponent's face mask
- Commit a late hit out of bounds
- Commit a late hit on the quarterback or punter
- Carry a handgun onto the field and fire it into the air after a successful play (This has not yet happened to my knowledge but it seems inevitable)

Now perhaps the comparison is unfair because fewer equivalent penalties exist in other sports. I suppose one could point to a basketball player commiting an "and 1 foul" needlessly surrendering a free throw on a made basket, but the ones which occur with a touch foul on a layup or dunk are relatively rare. Some other similar basketball penalties might include the double dribble, or entering the lane too early on a free throw. I'd guess if basketball players had the intelligence of the average football player you'd see more fouls for things like tripping, grabbing jerseys, flagrant fouls and traveling. You'd have turnovers in the 30's every game because guys would be throwing elbows on picks and passing into the backcourt.

In baseball? I don't know, I guess you'd see more batters beaned or players tagging too early on a sac fly. Plus the occasional player running from home to third on a base hit.

Hockey players have a convincing argument, though. They may actually be the dumbest as a group because in football the stupidity seems to vary by position. I admit I don't know shit about hockey, but what I do know is this is a game where there is very little scoring and yet teams will regularly put themselves at a disadvantage by commiting penalties (like high sticking or fighting) that give them one less player on the ice vs. the opponent. This sort of thing happens several times in every game. Seems like any team that could manage to keep all of its players on the ice by eliminating certain penalties would win a lot of games.

Special shout out to soccer which because of its simplicity is the sport of choice for children and the dumbest fans of any sport in the world. :toast It's hard to get a read on the average intelligence of soccer players because all they do is run around a big field and kick a ball.

DPG21920
01-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Of all of the major sports (baseball, football, basketball, hockey), which athletes are the dumbest on average?

I have to say football. Every sport has penalties and fouls, but no game has as many "bonehead" penalties as football. They occur so often that we've come to expect these penalties on a regular basis every time we watch a football game.

Knowing the severity of being hit with a penalty in football, even during crucial points of the game, football players can usually be expected to do any of the following:

- Jump before the ball is snapped
- Grab an opponent's face mask
- Commit a late hit out of bounds
- Commit a late hit on the quarterback or punter
- Carry a handgun onto the field and fire it into the air after a successful play (This has not yet happened to my knowledge but it seems inevitable)

Now perhaps the comparison is unfair because fewer equivalent penalties exist in other sports. I suppose one could point to a basketball player commiting an "and 1 foul" needlessly surrendering a free throw on a made basket, but the ones which occur with a touch foul on a layup or dunk are relatively rare. Some other similar basketball penalties might include the double dribble, or entering the lane too early on a free throw. I'd guess if basketball players had the intelligence of the average football player you'd see more fouls for things like tripping, grabbing jerseys, flagrant fouls and traveling. You'd have turnovers in the 30's every game because guys would be throwing elbows on picks and passing into the backcourt.

In baseball? I don't know, I guess you'd see more batters beaned or players tagging too early on a sac fly. Plus the occasional player running from home to third on a base hit.

Hockey players have a convincing argument, though. They may actually be the dumbest as a group because in football the stupidity seems to vary by position. I admit I don't know shit about hockey, but what I do know is this is a game where there is very little scoring and yet teams will regularly put themselves at a disadvantage by commiting penalties (like high sticking or fighting) that give them one less player on the ice vs. the opponent. This sort of thing happens several times in every game. Seems like any team that could manage to keep all of its players on the ice by eliminating certain penalties would win a lot of games.

Special shout out to soccer which because of its simplicity is the sport of choice for children and the dumbest fans of any sport in the world. :toast It's hard to get a read on the average intelligence of soccer players because all they do is run around a big field and kick a ball.

LMAO, the worlds soccer players are some of the most highly intelligent and well traveled people of any sport. You obviously have never played or watched high level soccer.

manufor3
01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
hockey players are stupid...

SAtown
01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
LMAO, the worlds soccer players are some of the most highly intelligent and well traveled people of any sport. You obviously have never played or watched high level soccer.

+1

And combine the fact that most American professional athletes can't even speak English correctly, much less two or more languages like the majority of international soccer players.

What a fucking ignorant idiot.

Vinnie_Johnson
01-04-2009, 09:16 PM
hockey players are stupid...

Get your facts straight I would say Hockey overall has some of the most intelligent players in all of sports.

Vinnie_Johnson
01-04-2009, 09:20 PM
First off, there are both brilliant and incredibly stupid athletes in every sport. There are smarty-smart NFL linemen and bonehead PGA golfers. What follows, then, are some grossly categorical statements. Apply grains of salt liberally.

* Hockey players and rugby players are surprisingly intelligent and personable. I think the culture of those sports tends to embrace and reward the types that can deal with the violence without flying off the handle.
* Baseball players are as dumb as a sack of hammers. I mean, wow, they're dumb. And crude.
* Football players are also surprisingly smart, but are very physically oriented. It wouldn't surprise me if many of them would've made good engineers or surgeons or whatnot. High-level quarterbacks are also significantly capable in leadership/business/law roles.
* Basketball players and soccer players are pretty average.
* Golfers are average, but have a great ability to focus. Probably make good doctors.
* Motor sports guys really, really know their mechanical stuff, but not much else. Again, they'd make good engineers.
* Olympic athletes I've met were all pretty smart. Probably because the socio-economics of their sports don't lend themselves well to being as one-dimensional as other athletes. Also, it takes a pretty unique individual to seriously take up, say, the luge events.

dirk4mvp
01-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Get your facts straight I would say

Good one. "I would say" definitely is a fact.

Clandestino
01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
boxing, hands down.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-04-2009, 10:31 PM

I would encourage you to stop talking about things you obviously don't know shit about. You'll look smarter in the end, and we'll be saved having to read ignorant bullshit like what you just posted. Its a win, win really.

resistanze
01-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Hockey. Any sports that allows two grown men to fight on ice with bare knuckles and then act suprised when someone gets seriously injured must be retarded. And I'm from Canada.

Oh, and soccer > your favorite sport. Including NASCAR.

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2009, 11:51 PM
cricket, baseball, golf....i cant stand the pace of these sports and the commentary its fkn boring

lefty
01-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Golfers.

They need caddies to tell them what to do.

T Park
01-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Golfers.

They need caddies to tell them what to do.

wrong

pawe
01-05-2009, 01:11 AM
Nascar drivers must be one of the dumbest...no offense to nascar fans here.
All they do is run around in circles and follow each other.

ClingingMars
01-05-2009, 01:14 AM
I'm sure soccer players aren't dumb, but it's the most boring major sport there is.

anyways, onto the topic at hand, the dumbest players would probably be NBA players overall. I bet the Spurs have the smartest team in the NBA.

-Mars

monosylab1k
01-05-2009, 01:20 AM

yeah that's why they resort to retarded shit like headbutting when they wanna fight. nothing says "i'm smart AND i'll kick your ass" like a self-inflicted concussion.

chode_regulator
01-05-2009, 10:11 AM
+1

And combine the fact that most American professional athletes can't even speak English correctly, much less two or more languages like the majority of international soccer players.

What a fucking ignorant idiot.
i was unaware that the world as a whole looked at how many languages you can speak to decide how smart you are. i can only speak one so i guess im dumb. or wait....i dont need to know anymore bc the overwhelming majority of the world speaks english.

Good one. "I would say" definitely is a fact.
:lol

I'm sure soccer players aren't dumb, but it's the most boring major sport there is.

anyways, onto the topic at hand, the dumbest players would probably be NBA players overall. I bet the Spurs have the smartest team in the NBA.

-Mars

basketball players are dumb. so are football players. shit all the american pro players, and im sure i could name some foreign sports players if i gave a shit and followed it, do stupid things on and off the field.
case in point after the obama election when brandon marshall was goign to pull out that black/white glove after a touchdown for what would have been a sure penalty in a close game. i mean why jeopardize your team like that? or plaxico shooting himself. or vick running a dog fighting ring. or like half of the cowboys from the 90s being arrested for smuggling drugs. ok maybe football players are the dumbest.

Blake
01-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Chess players hands down.

How many times do we see some idiot move a pawn from R4 to Q3 when he has checkmate all but in his back pocket?

Heath Ledger
01-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Poker.

Blake
01-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Poker.

no way dude.

sunglasses indoors = high IQ

to21
01-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Band geek, non-athletic forum.

tonylongoriafan
01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Nascar drivers must be one of the dumbest...no offense to nascar fans here.
All they do is run around in circles and follow each other.

:stfu

if you were to listen to radio communications during a race you could understand how smart these guys are...making the various adjustments, terminology, and overall strategy in terms of championship status (i.e. risking safe points for a win or just playing it safe for points)

running around in circles is just part of what they do...all i know is Pacman Jones would not even know how to get in a car, let alone turn in on...NFL hands down.

leemajors
01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
:lmao n1 spurm

Blake
01-05-2009, 11:09 AM
...all i know is Pacman Jones would not even know how to get in a car, let alone turn in on...NFL hands down.

I'm pretty sure Pacman has to breathe into a machine before the car turns on

Darrin
01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Football is the most obnoxious sport known to man. Its 'athletes' are intimidating, but they do keep it simple. I hate the culture of warfare that it promotes. I see a racist sport. In short, football highlights the worst the human race has to offer (gambling, war, violence, racism, class system).

exit soap box, stage left.

Spurminator
01-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I didn't include NASCAR because it's not an athletic sport. I almost mentioned boxing and MMA but those would be too obvious... Like asking which is the worst beer out of Bud, Coors and Miller but also including Milwaukee's Best Light.

That said, there are certainly some football players who might be close in intellect to a boxer.

And :lmao at all of the sensitive soccer fans. There are implied exceptions to every assertion I made in the original post. But do I really need to link all of the stories of riots and killings that occur after soccer games all over the world?

Blake
01-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Football is the most obnoxious sport known to man. Its 'athletes' are intimidating, but they do keep it simple. I hate the culture of warfare that it promotes. I see a racist sport. In short, football highlights the worst the human race has to offer (gambling, war, violence, racism, class system).

so many things wrong with this post, too little time

mrsmaalox
01-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Poker.

no way dude.

sunglasses indoors = high IQ

Also dogs are very intelligent and I've seen pictures of dogs playing poker. :spin

resistanze
01-05-2009, 11:28 AM

But do I really need to link all of the stories of riots and killings that occur after soccer games all over the world?

:huh

Spurminator
01-05-2009, 11:42 AM
:huh

The indignant responses referred to my statement about soccer fans.

Heath Ledger
01-05-2009, 11:47 AM
What I meant to say was

Poker.

What kind of idiot calls my 10xx bb all in preflop raise with 7 2 off suit then sucks out on me on the river? by the way i was holding 2 9 off suit.

to21
01-05-2009, 12:09 PM

:rolleyes

lefty
01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Poker.

If you mean celebrities (hollywood) poker players, then yes

dawn
01-05-2009, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=Spurminator;3004548]I didn't include NASCAR because it's not an athletic sport. I almost mentioned boxing and MMA but those would be too obvious... Like asking which is the worst beer out of Bud, Coors and Miller but also including Milwaukee's Best Light. QUOTE]

Oh Lord...Here we go again...So now not only do I read drivers are not athletes, but now, auto racing is not an athletic sport? :bang :rolleyes

Are NASCAR Drivers True Athletes?
October 5, 2008 · Print This Article

by Kara Martin… As a NASCAR fan, how many times have you heard, “racing isn’t a real sport, those drivers aren’t athletes, anyone can drive fast and turn left!” Why do we as fans constantly have to defend our favorite pastime?

Look up the definition of the word sport on dictionary.com and this is what you will find:
Sport, an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
Bowling….really? I find it hard to call something a sport that I get better at after a couple of pitchers of beer.
Seriously, who are we to judge what is and isn’t considered sport or what makes a true athlete?
We all love to coach from the sideline or in NASCAR’s case, backseat drive. We love to think that we could do better than “so and so,” but the hard truth is, few of us in this world are truly gifted enough to prove it. Even 43rd place is better than most of us could ever hope to do.
The NFL season is 17 weeks long, basketball and baseball each 6 months in length. The NASCAR season is a grueling 10 months out of the year with very little downtime. Drivers and their crews are constantly on the go. Cup drivers often moonlight in the Nationwide, Truck and/or Dirt Track series, allowing little else but to eat, sleep and drive.
Yes
100.0%
No
0.0%
Total votes: 2

Sports physchologist Dr. Jack Stark, wrote: “Football, you go hard for 15 seconds, rest 30 or 40.” “Basketball, you have timeouts. You can’t stop a race and get out of your car. You’ve been going hard for four hours and you have to have a tremendous amount of mental toughness and a tremendous amount of drive and desire to win.”
While the income gives me the desire to win, I simply couldn’t cut it as a NASCAR driver. Heck, my mind wanders during my 15 minute commute to work. The skill needed to rank in the top 43 is as awe inspiring as it is profitable. Aric Almirola, who as of this print was in 43rd place has earned a total of $1,033,560. In my opinion he is worth every penny!
Nice work if you can get it, but you’ve got to have forte to do so.
I fancy myself to be a bit of a daredevil, I’ve been to the Richard Petty Driving Experience. In no means does that make me an expert, but what I do know is that it took my brain a full 3 laps to catch up to my body that was traveling at 160 MPH. It was the same feeling that I experienced skydiving for the first time.
NASCAR is the free-fall.
Forget that a driver must maneuver a 3,600 pound car, straining to steer the wheel around curves, debris and other drivers.
Never mind the G-forces that result from the banking turns at 180-200mph causing intense pressure on the driver’s torsos.
Disregard the lack of oxygen in the cockpit mixed with carbon monoxide fumes which can cause confusion and disorientation for the driver during the race.
NASCAR is the free-fall. One that lasts for 500 miles instead of a mere 9500 feet with no safety chute to soften the blow. Even the slightest mistake could prove fatal in this sport. A driver must always be aware of his car and it’s surroundings. The sheer discipline and mental strength are untouchable.
To get a driver to the finish line in one piece requires absolute perfection on the crew’s part. A stock car is a monster of metal and fuel, we’ve all seen what can happen when things go wrong.
Think of it in terms of kinetic energy.
Kinetic energy (Ek), is a measure of how much work—or damage—an object can do in motion. The more massive an object and the faster it’s moving, the more kinetic energy it has. (Ek equals one-half mass times velocity squared, to be precise.) For example, a 3600-pound stock car running at 180 mph has a kinetic energy of 3.9 million ft.-lb. If you were to catapult a 150-pound man into the air with the same energy, he would travel 5 miles.
Pretty heavy stuff!
Tell me again why NASCAR drivers aren’t considered true athletes?!

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I follow basketball far more closely than football or baseball, so I could probably many more examples of stupid basketball players than I could for the other two. The most I would say is that I think football is the one where a stupid person with the right physical gifts could excel, at least at the right position. Obviously a good QB has to have a pretty damn good brain to be able to keep track of 21 other people running full speed and deciding in a split second what they should do based on those other 21 people's actions. However, someone like a nose tackle, whose job description boils down to "be huge, push the other guy in front of you, don't let someone from the other team past you" could be a fairly dim bulb and still be one of the best in the league. Being smart would probably be a helpful sort of thing, but not a hard and fast requirement.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Since when is a poker player considered an athlete?

On that note my vote would have to go to chess players.

What was the question?

ClingingMars
01-05-2009, 01:39 PM
so many things wrong with this post, too little time

leemajors
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
nascar is as much a sport as competitive computer gaming, that's why.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-05-2009, 02:01 PM
I admit I don't know shit about hockey

Exactly.

DPG21920
01-05-2009, 02:27 PM
yeah that's why they resort to retarded shit like headbutting when they wanna fight. nothing says "i'm smart AND i'll kick your ass" like a self-inflicted concussion.

Mr. Generalizer!! You can point to isolated events in every sport. Logical people understand we were talking as a whole. You must play every sport but soccer.

Spurminator
01-05-2009, 02:28 PM
So educate me. Given that so many goals are scored on power plays, why do so many players commit penalties that could be avoided? Is this done on purpose in some instances? Is there some strategy behind hooking your opponent and having to leave the ice for two minutes?

It's not like basketball where a foul might net 2 points in a game where 200 total points are scored. These are 2-1, 3-2 games where one penalty for roughing could determine the outcome of the game.

DarkReign
01-05-2009, 04:40 PM
So educate me. Given that so many goals are scored on power plays, why do so many players commit penalties that could be avoided? Is this done on purpose in some instances? Is there some strategy behind hooking your opponent and having to leave the ice for two minutes?

It could be to prevent a sure goal, taking your chances on a 2min PK (thats penalty kill).

It could be because the rules have become MUCH more strict after the lockout (2004-05).

It could be that you have 10 players on the ice traveling at an average speed of 20mph (thats average) trying to coral and control a 3" x 1" puck on 200ft sheet of ice. Its fast. Very very fast. And if you get beat (that is, caught standing still), your natural reaction is to reach out and get a piece.

You can avoid doing that by being an exceptional skater, but not everyone in the league is so gifted. Having said that, there isnt a player in the NHL who couldnt lap one of us on one go around an NHL rink.

The game is incredibly fast, but a lot of people dont seem to get that because its a low scoring affair. Which is fine with us NHL fans. You see an NHL game live and you'll become hooked instantly. You really dont realize how insanely fast these guys are going, even when it looks like theyre just putzing up the ice on TV. Quick story: Sergei Fedorov was regarded as one of the fastest players in his hay-day (mid-90s). Yet his skating always looked effortless. I went to a Wings game around that time and will never forget seeing #91 skate by. Head up, handling a puck, avoiding multiple opposing players sticks/hits and still blowing by so fast that when he came in front of my seats, he was gone so quickly I didnt even know who was carrying the puck (the glass has a way of obstructing angled views, theyre overrated). He scored on a beatiful wrister.

It's not like basketball where a foul might net 2 points in a game where 200 total points are scored. These are 2-1, 3-2 games where one penalty for roughing could determine the outcome of the game.

Fair point. And damned be the guy who takes that stupid penalty late in a game that costs his team the 2 points. But hockey has fighting, it has hitting, it is very physical and very punishing.

A roughing penalty in the last 10 mins of the second period is a helluva lot different than a roughing penalty in the last 10 mins of the third. Players know that, coaches know that, refs know that.

But if a guy is coming thru your goalie's crease every time he's in your end, you need to send a message to him that that shit wont be tolerated. You get the facewash, you get the little poke in your stomach from the butt-end of the stick, you get slashed across the shins and hands. Or invariably, you get punched in your mouth to remind you not to come in my goalie's air space. Dont even think about it, because that will get you hurt (not injured).

Which is why you hear about guys "paying the price" in hockey more than any other sport, IMO (except for QBs in football, they pay the price a lot as well). When there is a loose puck in your zone and theres a better than 50% chance you can get to it before the opponent, or you have an opportunity to make a play on it, a hockey player is expected to sacrifice his body to make that play. Because you may win the foot race to the puck, but the opponent is going to fucking drill you with every fiber of his being. So if youre reaching a little too far for the puck, or approached it with too much speed and awkwardly slowed down, youre going on the IR.

Its that high impact aspect of the game that sets the men apart from the boys. The really, really good players (superstars) never put themselves in those kind of situations because theyre good enough to never let them happen (ok, rarely). Its the third and fourth line guys who have to pay a price to be in the league. They arent as fast, they arent as skilled and dont have nearly the hockey-sense. So they have to make the hard plays, theyre the linemen of hockey. They get their noses dirty every shift of every game, and if theyre not, there is someone below them on the depth chart willing to.

So it creates a very "chippy" game.

Did I even mention that of the 4 major sports, only one has all players on the "field" carrying makeshift weapons? Yeah, shit tends to get out of hand, therefore the players have to police themselves to a certain degree. One bad temper and someone else may never play the game again. Its rare but it does happen. Usually doesnt end well for the offender though.

SAtown
01-05-2009, 04:50 PM
And :lmao at all of the sensitive soccer fans. There are implied exceptions to every assertion I made in the original post. But do I really need to link all of the stories of riots and killings that occur after soccer games all over the world?

So are we talking about athletes or fans? Seems to me like you're pretty dumb if you can't even keep your weak ass argument together :lol

01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
The most important reason, as DR already said, is pace of the game. It is so much faster than any other sport and you don't get that until you see it live.

The Reckoning
01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
cheerleaders

DarkReign
01-05-2009, 04:59 PM
To answer your question directly, yes there is a strategy behind taking roughing penalties (or slashing, or hooking, holding, etc).

Most of the "obstruction" penalties (hooking, holding, tripping, interference) happen because the offender got beat on a play and if he doesnt take that penalty, its a glorious scoring chance for the opposition (with the skill in the NHL, that usually means goal unless your goalie is a HOFer). So he takes his chances with his teammates killing a 2min PP. His teammates have done and will do the same thing from time to time, but it doesnt excuse his getting beat on the play. Its risk management.

The roughing/fighting penalties are for one reason and one reason only. Intimidation. Usually its the other team's best players on the receving end of those kinds of penalties to try and get them off their game, to get them thinking about you and not the play at hand. Although, there are quite a few bottom line guys who are exceptional at getting opposing players to take penalties on them because they play a certain way (Tomas Holmstrom, Ryan Smyth, Gary Roberts) or talk shit exceptionally well and hit everything in their sites (Jarkko Rutuu, Jordan Tootoo, etc) or both.

Hockey is a game of injury and playing thru it, no matter the pain. The stories of some of the shit players went thru to play in big games is beyond my threshold of pain, and I always thought I had a pretty high threshold. Brent Gilchrist comes to mind when I say that.

It was either 1997 or 1998 (he played for the Wings) and he tore his groin muscle clean from the bone, meaning it was just floating around. It hurt to move one inch much less play a professional sport. But he did. Steve Yzerman talked about the pregame speeches from the coaches where they had to raise their voices to talk over the screams coming from the training room where Mr. Gilchrist was getting 10-20 cortozone shots directly into his groin and the severed muscle with a 10" needle (thru his stomach area and groin area) to temporarily numb the pain just so he could play.

He didnt play for two seasons afterwords recovering from the surgery it took to repair. It isnt a 16 game season played in under 3-4 months either. To miss two years of your career to injury in hockey usually means you career is completely over. It basically was for him, but he got to skate with the Stanley Cup and I am quite sure he would do it all again given the chance.

whottt
01-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I'd be willing to be that the NFL has a greater PCT of athletes that are college graduates than any other pro-sports league.

Sure a college education isn't the last word on intelligence, but it's a better indicator than anything mentioned by anyone else in this thread so far.

:lmao at Soccer fans saying Soccer players fans etc are intelligent...get serious.

I bet there is a greater PCT of Soccer athletes that grew up in villages where they drank their own sewage regularly at some point, than any other pro sport.

Out of the sports that weren't played by cavemen, which automatically win this argument...I'd say baseball has the stupidest athletes.

JoeChalupa
01-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Higher graduation rate doesn't mean they are any smarter. I've known some stupid smart people, myself included.

Spurminator
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Good answers by DR. I've been to games and I've really enjoyed them... I can certainly appreciate the speed of the game and the chaos involved with large men skating in different directions at that pace. I'd probably be more of a hockey fan if I had grown up in more of a hockey town and if it didn't occur simultaneously with basketball season.

But there have been 6,559 penalties assessed in the NHL this season. There have been 780 fights. I understand the game is different than other sports, but to me this would be like having a brawl break out in every baseball game... when, in fact, they're relatively rare despite the fact that it is a game where a hard ball is being thrown in your vicinity at 90-100 mph.

I can buy that messages need to be sent in hockey at times, just like a brush back in baseball, but I have a hard time believing that less than a majority of the power plays handed to the opponent could be avoided with more "hockey-sense" (as you said) and less thuggery.

I look at the bottom of the list of most penalized teams in the NHL this year and I see the Detroit Red Wings. Significant/irrelevant? I don't know. I suppose the Flyers might have something to say about it.

So are we talking about athletes or fans? Seems to me like you're pretty dumb if you can't even keep your weak ass argument together :lol

I made an aside statement about soccer fans and even referenced athletes in the next sentence. This isn't a term paper, not every statement has to directly support or relate to the thesis.

whottt
01-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Higher graduation rate doesn't mean they are any smarter. I've known some stupid smart people, myself included.

From the same post:

Sure a college education isn't the last word on intelligence, but it's a better indicator than anything mentioned by anyone else in this thread so far.

Way to prove your point...Soccer Fan.

JoeChalupa
01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
From the same post:

Way to prove your point...Soccer Fan.

Brahahahahaha!! :lmao You got me there.

Spurminator
I'd be willing to be that the NFL has a greater PCT of athletes that are college graduates than any other pro-sports league.

Yeah but you know how that goes...

Any time a football player has a decent GPA majoring in anything but General Studies, the commentators devote on-air time to it during the game.

This is the best hockey fight I've seen in years:

VDRCpN4OMpM

monosylab1k
01-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Mr. Generalizer!! You can point to isolated events in every sport. Logical people understand we were talking as a whole. You must play every sport but soccer.

Yeah pretty much. I stopped playing Hungry Hungry Hippos and Trouble and other child's games around the same time I stopped playing soccer.

Rogue
01-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Gerrard

whottt
01-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Yeah but you know how that goes...

Any time a football player has a decent GPA majoring in anything but General Studies, the commentators devote on-air time to it during the game.

Yeah but...you pretty much have to go to at least a year of college to play in the NFL. It's virtually unheard of for an NFL player to not have any college...the only one I can think of in my lifetime is Eric Swann.

A year of college as a virtual requirement is only recently true of NBA players, and it's still not true of International Basketball players. It's not true at all of Hockey and Baseball players...

We can debate intelligence all we want, but I don't think there's any doubt the NFL guys generally have the highest level of education of any athletes in any Major Pro Sports League in the world.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Yeah pretty much. I stopped playing Hungry Hungry Hippos and Trouble and other child's games around the same time I stopped playing soccer.

They made you play goalie, huh.

SAtown
01-06-2009, 03:01 AM
They made you play goalie, huh.

:lmao

smeagol
01-06-2009, 06:39 AM
I'd say soccer. At least in Argentina, soccer players are pretty dumb (you only need to listen to Maradona talk for 30 seconds for further proof).

And their fans are stupid too. I agree with whottt. You only need to go to a soccer game to see the stupid acts committed by soccer fans.

DarkReign
01-06-2009, 07:53 AM

VDRCpN4OMpM

:frying:

So embarassing for Semin.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Soccer fans in general are pretty fucking dumb, that I won't argue. That being said, its pretty laughable how people in here who have no fucking clue about the actual sport and what it takes to play professionally love to run their mouths about it being simple :lol

My advice would be to educate yourselves about shit before you go and criticize it.

Rip-Hamilton32
01-06-2009, 01:09 PM
hockey players for turning their backs to go get a dump in

ClingingMars
01-06-2009, 03:14 PM

VDRCpN4OMpM

the worst I've seen:

c53DZ9iHrJE

-Mars

01-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Crosby is turning into a punk bitch. First the reacharound in ATL and now this...

Nothing wrong with sending a message or trying to fire up your teammates, but for the love of ___ at least do it the right way.