PDA

View Full Version : Why in the world is...

usckk
02-27-2005, 07:30 AM
...Pop changing the rotation? Why change something if it is not broke? In the last two games, Coach Pop has been relunctant to play Beno Udrih, even though he was played great thus far in the season, and make Brent Barry play the point guard position behind Tony Parker. Because Barry plays the back-up point now, Brown is the first SG or SF to come off the bench. Why is Pop experiementing this late into the season? To make things worse, once Mohammed starts to play, the rotation will be even more skewd, late making him the starter.

FYI: Normally, Coach Pop would cut and have a set rotation in the second half the season. Why the change this year? I'm both angry and confused.

mattyc
02-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Pop changed the rotation to suit Hedo last season. We lost.

I'm worried he's doing the same thing to suit Bones.

usckk
02-27-2005, 08:34 AM
This year is different. Last year, Pop HAD to change because Hedo was struggling from the bench. This year, the team is winning, and Brent is playing fine. Further, Brent is still from the bench, except is comes in for the point guard position. I don't understand why he would bench Beno for no reason?

bigbendbruisebrother
02-27-2005, 09:31 AM
...Pop changing the rotation? Why change something if it is not broke? In the last two games, Coach Pop has been relunctant to play Beno Udrih, even though he was played great thus far in the season, and make Brent Barry play the point guard position behind Tony Parker. Because Barry plays the back-up point now, Brown is the first SG or SF to come off the bench. Why is Pop experiementing this late into the season? To make things worse, once Mohammed starts to play, the rotation will be even more skewd, late making him the starter.

FYI: Normally, Coach Pop would cut and have a set rotation in the second half the season. Why the change this year? I'm both angry and confused.

I agree. Early in the game, he sat Tim and Tony for like 7 or 8 minutes while he screwed around with different substitution patterns. If he't gotten them back in after a short rest, we would've rolled. TD and TP were both playing well. But by the time he stopped tinkering, we were down 12. He's been a great coach, but I think he needs to save the "what if I" substitutions for shitty teams.

bigbendbruisebrother
02-27-2005, 09:32 AM

Who is bones?

Jimcs50
02-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Pop has lost it...the Allstar game has gone to his head.

mattyc
02-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Who is bones?
Brent Barry.

Frenchise player
02-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Beno had four assists in 6 minutes, Pop doesn't want to play him anymore.
I think that he doesn't like to have a rookis backup PG.
In fact he changes all his coaching because he is focusing in the playoffs right now.
He trades Malik for more height and now he is giving minutes to Barry and hope he will improve his game.
I just think that we are going to see less and less time for Beno even if he is playing well.

bigbendbruisebrother
02-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Barry stunk it up. Despite his big shot late in the game, the guy sucks on defense. And I can't believe Pop jumped on Manu for making that bounce pass in the first quarter. If Barry had been awake as he strolled down the lane, he'd have caught it and layed it in. Instead, Pop called timeout and got in Manu's face.

usckk
02-27-2005, 10:05 AM
I don't understand why we need to get Barry in more of a Rythym if the team is winning the way his is playing. Further, Beno is playing great yesterday. WTF?

orhe
02-27-2005, 10:19 AM
wasn't beno hurt or something?

usckk
02-27-2005, 10:29 AM
He was hurt 2 weeks ago with a sprained finger, but he even played through it back then. Now, the injury is healed, and he's benched. Another WTF?

1Parker1
02-27-2005, 10:36 AM
NOTE TO POP: Please do not put Devin Brown in 4th quarters of close games. I am so tired of him turning the ball over and taking shots, which should be for Tim, Tony, Manu, or even Brent Barry in such close games.

Seriously, I love Devin Brown's game, especially after he came through int he playoffs last year and that ONE game against Pheonix, but honestly, I don't like him playing/and or taking shots in close 4 quarter games. Am I alone in this feeling?

usckk
02-27-2005, 10:46 AM
To bad, Pop is going to put him in a lot since he like going small nowdays... :(

usckk
02-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Maybe Pop wants to keep his doghouse full; so he puts Beno there because Malik is gone?

HIP HOOPERS
02-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Beno had four assists in 6 minutes, Pop doesn't want to play him anymore.
I think that he doesn't like to have a rookis backup PG.
In fact he changes all his coaching because he is focusing in the playoffs right now.
He trades Malik for more height and now he is giving minutes to Barry and hope he will improve his game.
I just think that we are going to see less and less time for Beno even if he is playing well.

Yes, that REALLY makes sense... Let's draft the rookie PG, give him minutes at the begining to see how he is doing, and then when we see he's doing great, wins the Rookie of the month award and is playing at an all star game, then let's take him those minutes back and not thrust him anymore...

SLOVENIAN 8
02-27-2005, 12:07 PM
I think that trading Malik was huge mistake!! :pctoss
And Beno muust play more time!

Frenchise player
02-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Yes, that REALLY makes sense... Let's draft the rookie PG, give him minutes at the begining to see how he is doing, and then when we see he's doing great, wins the Rookie of the month award and is playing at an all star game, then let's take him those minutes back and not thrust him anymore...
Beno is surely doing great, I am not saying he is playing bad, but you may agree that having a rookie PG to lead a team which is considered as the top team in the league is unconfortable for Pop all the more that TP is only 22 years old.
That's why I think he is testing Barry at PG, he wants to have another solution in case that Beno doesn't play well in the playoffs.

usckk
02-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Dude, Pop started Parker when he was 19 0r 20

Tom_Foolery
02-27-2005, 01:47 PM

Pop did that because Manu was more productive and gave us that spark off the bench. He didn't do it "for Hedo".

Kori Ellis
02-27-2005, 01:51 PM
I don't think Pop playing Barry/Devin more and Beno less has much to do with Beno.

Pop is probably looking to shorten up the rotation soon and might be "trying out" Barry and Devin to figure out which one is going to get the majority of the backup swing position minutes during the stretch run and into the playoffs. Also Beno is still recovering from a few bangs and bruises. Look for the rotations to keep getting tweaked for the next couple weeks while things are getting honed for the postseason.

slayermin
02-27-2005, 02:00 PM
I think Pop is doing the right thing. The pressure to perform in the playoffs should be on Barry and Devin. Beno will get his chances but he should be eased into the pressure of the playoffs.

You can't say the Malik for Nazr traded is a bad one just yet. We haven't even seen what Nazr can do.

wildbill2u
02-27-2005, 03:14 PM
I think Pop is doing the right thing. The pressure to perform in the playoffs should be on Barry and Devin. Beno will get his chances but he should be eased into the pressure of the playoffs.

You can't say the Malik for Nazr traded is a bad one just yet. We haven't even seen what Nazr can do.

I agree with those who say he wants to sharpen up Barry and Devin for the playoffs with a little more playing time. He may also have some concern with the effects on Beno of the long NBA season and be giving him a little rest.

coachtf
02-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Kori is right in my opinion and to go further I'd say Pop knows what he has in Beno. Come playoff time you have to have Barry shooting and playing with confidence or we are through. This is one of those times in the season that you have to decide WHY Barry is struggling? Is it because he plays better off the bench with the ball in his hands? Is it because he's one of those players who has to feel the flow by handling the ball and playing against second teamers? Alot of players are like that and Barry in my opinion is just that type of player.

Devin Brown is going to be very important because he is going to get some very tough defensive assignments when Bowen is (A) struggling offensively or (B) in foul trouble. Devin Brown has BALLS and will show up but Pop has to figure out how best to play him along with Barry because that's what it's going to take to get guys rest.

Beno has defined his game for this year. He has already showed that he is a pure point who has tremendous skills and will set the team up on the offensive end. He will get playing time but the playoffs are all about MATCHUPS.

usckk
02-27-2005, 05:08 PM
But Barry is going off the bench to play point-guard in the last few games, while Brown plays the SF/SG position. How can this be an accurate judgement on who plays better if they play different positions? Plus, Brown will end up playing a lot of minutes either way because the Spurs play small against the Sonics and Phoenix.

Dario
02-27-2005, 06:17 PM
I still think beno did something wrong like missing a practice or similar, its just stupid to bench a rookie to check how your other guys will do in playoffs. Beno will eventually be less sure in himself and his game will suffer. I'm sure its got something to do with beno doing something wrong.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2005, 06:22 PM
It's pretty common knowledge that Beno has been hurt for a while. Personally I don't think he's done anything wrong, just that the Spurs want him healthy in the end when it matters.

HIP HOOPERS
02-27-2005, 06:32 PM
He hasn't done anything wrong, like Kori said he still is recovering frome "some bangs and bruises" and to avoid any injury he's resting him for the playoffs. Plus, let's not forget that Beno has played all summer (camps and national team)

CHAMPS AGAIN
02-27-2005, 06:39 PM
NOTE TO POP: Please do not put Devin Brown in 4th quarters of close games. I am so tired of him turning the ball over and taking shots, which should be for Tim, Tony, Manu, or even Brent Barry in such close games.

Seriously, I love Devin Brown's game, especially after he came through int he playoffs last year and that ONE game against Pheonix, but honestly, I don't like him playing/and or taking shots in close 4 quarter games. Am I alone in this feeling?

I feel the same way he looks lost sometimes and it seems he wants to be the hero. Devin stay in the BENCH.

GoSpurs21
02-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Brent has been playing good lately.....what game are you watching?

Barry is really starting to look like a bust. He was brought in to make outside shots and what does he constantly do...past them (especially the open ones) up. This guy really needs to show something or he will be the next resident in Pop's dog house. How can you get hit in the head by a pass from your teammate when your cutting to the basket?

Que Gee
02-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Barry stunk it up. Despite his big shot late in the game, the guy sucks on defense. And I can't believe Pop jumped on Manu for making that bounce pass in the first quarter. If Barry had been awake as he strolled down the lane, he'd have caught it and layed it in. Instead, Pop called timeout and got in Manu's face.

Do you think he got in Manu's face for no reason? They had a set, he was running to his position, he wasn't looking for the ball...maybe he should have been but thats not what the system had in place.

Que Gee
02-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Brent has been playing good lately.....what game are you watching?

Barry is really starting to look like a bust. He was brought in to make outside shots and what does he constantly do...past them (especially the open ones) up. This guy really needs to show something or he will be the next resident in Pop's dog house. How can you get hit in the head by a pass from your teammate when your cutting to the basket?

What game are you watching? Your going to say since he didn't catch a passs that wasn't supposed to go to him he is looking like a bust? If Pop wants him to take 7-10 shots a game, than Pop needs to explain that. At this point, he's just doing what he's told.

LilMissSPURfect
02-28-2005, 04:26 PM

I was saying the same thing.......Brown = no 4th qtr play....I'd rather c BENO than Brown...