PDA

View Full Version : Excited for jan 14

ManuTP9
01-05-2009, 02:27 AM
on jan 14 we face the LA Lakers on ESPN, this will be a great test for the spurs , also to prove that were still one of the best in the west.
Were going to need our big three and finley , definently MASON all to step up.

honestfool84
01-05-2009, 02:34 AM
yep.

Chieflion
01-05-2009, 02:42 AM
Heat first. Heat beat the Lakers.

Although some people do not think so, but Dwayne Wade is the best player in the NBA this season.

Ditty
01-05-2009, 02:46 AM
yah i was trying to get tickets but its about sold out everything else is really high im going to wait till la comes in town again espically when boston comes im going to that one

Yorae
01-05-2009, 02:47 AM
How many times do we face boston and la this season???

ManuTP9
01-05-2009, 02:51 AM
How many times do we face boston and la this season???

we face LA 3 times this season and we face boston 2 times

Amuseddaysleeper
01-05-2009, 02:53 AM
This is one of those games where I fear the Spurs are gonna get murdered, but once the ball goes in the air I feel more comfortable.

I think a win against LA would be the biggest of the season so far.

Yorae
01-05-2009, 02:54 AM
Winning the season series with la would only matter if la and sa have the same record?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-05-2009, 02:56 AM
Winning the season series with la would only matter if la and sa have the same record?

true, but it's always nice to get a win against a team that everyone is going to get up for.

It's gonna be tense.

SmellyFeet
01-05-2009, 03:14 AM
When you lose, don't forget about how "this is only the regular season".

MUHSHSHSHSHA

Yorae
01-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Is he the spork guy in la uniform???

Chieflion
01-05-2009, 03:23 AM
Is he the spork guy in la uniform???

Off topic: How is your honeymoon?

On topic: Most probably.

Yorae
01-05-2009, 03:31 AM
Off topic: How is your honeymoon?

It was great and we've been very busy that I rarely have the chance to join st during games. A spurs championship and a pregnant wife would make my '09 fantastic.

zhougc
01-05-2009, 03:40 AM
Yes, Go Spurs!
beat LA
and Beat BC

mrspurs
01-05-2009, 06:56 AM

Although some people do not think so, but Dwayne Wade is the best player in the NBA this season.

Agreed one game at a time. Thou many are saying we are just waiting for the POs. I dont buy it. I believe our record shows a team whos been playing desperately to win. I dont buy these guys play lazy defense on some nights. This team is playing with just about everything they have. With all the injuries this team has played through and with the record we have. I dont see any signs of a team just waiting for the POs. I see a team that is doing whatever it can to win games regardless of whom they're playing. That competition is about to take another level up. No more depending on playing teams like the Grizzs. We've seen whats going on in Boston once they're easy home schedule finished and they started playing away, while defending the title. Our name alone brings out the best in players.

LA24
01-05-2009, 09:35 AM
This is one of those games where I fear the Spurs are gonna get murdered, but once the ball goes in the air I feel more comfortable.

Lakes will be on the 2nd night of a b2b. This is a game the Lakers could very well lose.

Drachen
01-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I will be there!

SenorSpur
01-05-2009, 10:31 AM
At the beginning of the season, I was targeting this as a milestone game because I wanted to see how Ian would fare against Bynum and the Fakers tall frontline. Of course, we all kno how that turned out. Still it will be good to see how the Spurs "stack up" against their heavily favored rival.

tonylongoriafan
01-05-2009, 10:54 AM
it's just one game

DrHouse
01-05-2009, 11:23 AM
After the BOS game it's hard to get uber-excited about another regular season game.

admiralfats
01-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Lakes will be on the 2nd night of a b2b. This is a game the Lakers could very well lose.

also a factor: They will be playing the san antonio spurs

peskypesky
01-05-2009, 02:38 PM

After Tim Duncan.

peskypesky
01-05-2009, 02:39 PM
At the beginning of the season, I was targeting this as a milestone game because I wanted to see how Ian would fare against Bynum and the Fakers tall frontline. Of course, we all kno how that turned out. Still it will be good to see how the Spurs "stack up" against their heavily favored rival.

We are woefully understaffed in the post. It's going to be Tim Duncan against Gasol, Bynum and Odom. Major problemo.

Hemotivo
01-05-2009, 02:57 PM
spurs needs to attack the rim

xellos88330
01-05-2009, 03:13 PM
As of now the Lakers are the measuring stick out west. A Spurs win would be HUGE.

InRareForm
01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
After the BOS game it's hard to get uber-excited about another regular season game.

Is your name Debbie?

SenorSpur
01-05-2009, 03:25 PM
We are woefully understaffed in the post. It's going to be Tim Duncan against Gasol, Bynum and Odom. Major problemo.

Which is EXACTLY what I'm worried about and will be yet another repeat of what we saw last May.

SpursDynasty
01-05-2009, 03:46 PM
That game won't be that much of a big deal. The Lakers aren't the best team in the league, or even in the West. Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum are not names that make any team shake.

For me, big games are against New Orleans, Utah and Boston, competitive teams with edge. Even Dallas games are big, just because of the rivalry. The Lakers are not intimidating. They just happen to win a lot of games for who knows what reason. It's like the 2006-2007 Mavs, not intimidating despite winning a lot of games.

SenorSpur
01-05-2009, 03:53 PM
The Lakers are not intimidating. They just happen to win a lot of games for who knows what reason. It's like the 2006-2007 Mavs, not intimidating despite winning a lot of games.

I agree in that the Fakers are not intimidating. However, they present a very tall, formidable frontline. Like last year, I'm worried that the Spurs may not be able to adequately counter their frontline. Remember the Spurs got torched on the glass during that series, despite Duncan being the best big on the floor for either team.

DrHouse
01-05-2009, 03:54 PM
It's incredible how confident and arrogant Spurs fans are when their team has lost to Phil Jackson's Lakers 4 out of the 5 times they've met in the playoffs in this decade.

z0sa
01-05-2009, 04:02 PM
It's incredible how confident and arrogant Spurs fans are when their team has lost to Phil Jackson's Lakers 4 out of the 5 times they've met in the playoffs in this decade.

Did you forget you're on a SPURS message board, in the SPURS section? You don't like us being confident in our team, you're free to leave.

You're the arrogant douche ... and we've won twice since 1999 (aka a decade moron), both on championship runs. Meanwhile, you've beaten us to ultimately accomplish nothing except 2001...

Must say, damn it felt good in 2003 seeing the League's favorites get their hearts torn out by the best player of this era - Tim Duncan.

BTW, I will be at the game :flag:

WayOutWest
01-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Did you forget you're on a SPURS message board, in the SPURS section? You don't like us being confident in our team, you're free to leave.

You're the arrogant douche ... and we've won twice since 1999 (aka a decade moron), both on championship runs. Meanwhile, you've beaten us to ultimately accomplish nothing except 2001...

Must say, damn it felt good in 2003 seeing the League's favorites get their hearts torn out by the best player of this era - Tim Duncan.

FYI, PJ was not coaching the Lakers in 1999. That post from the guy you called a "moron" specifically stated Phil Jackson coached Lakers.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I wish the Spurs had a little stronger frontcourt. That worries me in any sort of matchup with the Lakers.

SpursDynasty
01-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Kobe, Shaq, Rick Fox, a still dangerous Horry, then Karl Malone and Payton in '04...that was a Lakers team to be respected.

But Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum... not really. The Hornets could have taken them out in the WCF's last year. The Spurs could have too but we just missed our shots.

G-Nob
01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Spurs need to be worried about Jan. 5th only. F jan 14 and F anything this isn't on our plate right now.

DrHouse
01-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Kobe, Shaq, Rick Fox, a still dangerous Horry, then Karl Malone and Payton in '04...that was a Lakers team to be respected.

But Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum... not really. The Hornets could have taken them out in the WCF's last year. The Spurs could have too but we just missed our shots.

It's such a pathetic lineup that they beat the Spurs 4-1 last season

WITHOUT BYNUM+ARIZA.

DrHouse
01-05-2009, 05:38 PM

BTW, I will be at the game :flag:

You're an idiot. Your team has done nothing this season or last to warrant the shit talking you spew. You're old getting older, going the way of the Suns and Mavs. You're just too dumb to see it.

WayOutWest
01-05-2009, 07:46 PM

could of...should of....would off....maybe if you shut your eyes really tight and wish really hard you can get a "do over" for the 07-08 season. :lol

DPG21920
01-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Which is EXACTLY what I'm worried about and will be yet another repeat of what we saw last May.

Lakers are woefully understaffed in the backcourt. Kobe vs TP, Manu, Mason, Finley and Hill.

Allanon
01-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Lakers are woefully understaffed in the backcourt. Kobe vs TP, Manu, Mason, Finley and Hill.

The Backcourt in my opinion has never been better.

Kobe/Ariza should be able to deal with Manu/Mason.

You'll see Derek Fisher to start the game but Phil has a new wrinkle that I like.

Ariza and Vujacic will be guarding Tony Parker.

Fish, Vujacic, Ariza and Odom as point guards to me is the best way to go. Sure they aren't as fast but for the most part their length makes up for it.

Ariza and Vujacic were able to really limit Rajon Rondo and CP3. I can't wait to see how Tony does.

January 14th, the Spurs will be the last WC Playoff team for the Lakers to meet.

DPG21920
01-05-2009, 08:42 PM
The Backcourt in my opinion has never been better.

Kobe/Ariza should be able to deal with Manu/Mason.

You'll see Derek Fisher to start the game but Phil has a new wrinkle that I like.

Ariza and Vujacic will be guarding Tony Parker.

Fish, Vujacic, Ariza and Odom as point guards to me is the best way to go. Sure they aren't as fast but for the most part their length makes up for it.

Ariza and Vujacic were able to really limit Rajon Rondo and CP3. I can't wait to see how Tony does.

January 14th, the Spurs will be the last WC Playoff team for the Lakers to meet.

Fisher has definitely lost a step, Farmar has not really improved, Sasha seems to have regressed. The backcourt is the only glaring weakness, that has been over come by very good play by Kobe and the front court. That is why Phil is looking for another guard. Ariza, Sasha and Fish cannot cut it against deep back courts like the Spurs.

Allanon
01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Fisher has definitely lost a step, Farmar has not really improved

These two are pretty true. Fish is prettybad defensively. Farmar is just as bad defensively but offensively he's gotten better. Still I prefer Vujacic at the point.

Sasha seems to have regressed.

Sasha slumped bad in the earlier part of the season, poor shooting, stupid defense...he had no pre-season time because of injury. But of late his shooting has been great and so has his defense.

The backcourt is the only glaring weakness, that has been over come by very good play by Kobe and the front court. That is why Phil is looking for another guard. Ariza, Sasha and Fish cannot cut it against deep back courts like the Spurs.

If Phil didn't try Ariza and Sasha at the point, I'd say they're in serious trouble. Surprisingly it's worked very well since Sasha was a Euro point guard and Ariza plays the passing lanes well. Especially since they're 6'7/6'8 and are still quick as most guards.

I don't know if they can keep up with Tony, that's why I'm also excited for this game.

DPG21920
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
These two are pretty true. Fish is prettybad defensively. Farmar is just as bad defensively but offensively he's gotten better. Still I prefer Vujacic at the point.

Sasha slumped bad in the earlier part of the season, poor shooting, stupid defense...he had no pre-season time because of injury. But of late his shooting has been great and so has his defense.

If Phil didn't try Ariza and Sasha at the point, I'd say they're in serious trouble. Surprisingly it's worked very well since Sasha was a Euro point guard and Ariza plays the passing lanes well. Especially since they're 6'7/6'8 and are still quick as most guards.

I don't know if they can keep up with Tony, that's why I'm also excited for this game.

It is weird bc the teams are like polar opposites. The Lakers are clearly the better team right now. But with regards to strengths/weaknesses they are opposite.

Spurs have a sick back court with a decent front court except they have one of the best front court players in the game to carry that load. The Lakers have a sick front court with a decent back court except they have one of the best back court players to carry the load.

Ariza has been stellar. But the Lakers do not just have to stop Tony. The Spurs have a lot of ball handlers and shooters in the back court.

SpursDynasty
01-05-2009, 09:15 PM
There shouldn't be any trash-talking in this thread.

This is just another regular game for the Spurs. The Lakers are just another regular team and are not seen as a big threat. No big deal, this game isn't any different than playing the Bobcats or Thunder. No need to trash-talk. The Lakers did get us in the WCF's, got a couple of shots here and there, not really any major talent required to do that...again, this isn't trash-talking the Lakers, just making a point that we shouldn't put too much emphasis on this game, our biggest tests are New Orleans and Boston.

DrHouse
01-05-2009, 09:23 PM
It is weird bc the teams are like polar opposites. The Lakers are clearly the better team right now. But with regards to strengths/weaknesses they are opposite.

Spurs have a sick back court with a decent front court except they have one of the best front court players in the game to carry that load. The Lakers have a sick front court with a decent back court except they have one of the best back court players to carry the load.

Ariza has been stellar. But the Lakers do not just have to stop Tony. The Spurs have a lot of ball handlers and shooters in the back court.

You act as if THIS year's Spurs are world beaters. They're not. They have a rather poor record against the elite teams in the NBA.

Clearly if the Spurs presented the matchup problems you claim their record would be better than it is. They wouldn't need miracle buzzer beating shots to beat the lowly Grizzlies, 76ers, and the rest of the garbage teams in the NBA. And yes, margin of victory MATTERS. Pretty much every NBA champion in history has had the best or near the best margin of victory.

DPG21920
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM
You act as if THIS year's Spurs are world beaters. They're not. They have a rather poor record against the elite teams in the NBA.

Clearly if the Spurs presented the matchup problems you claim their record would be better than it is. They wouldn't need miracle buzzer beating shots to beat the lowly Grizzlies, 76ers, and the rest of the garbage teams in the NBA. And yes, margin of victory MATTERS. Pretty much every NBA champion in history has had the best or near the best margin of victory.

Yawn, kings and pacers...evidently you missed the part where I clearly said the Lakers are better. Does not change the fact that the Lakers back court is their biggest problem and the the Spurs back court presents a match up problem.

Rogue
01-05-2009, 11:00 PM
the result of last season's series would be very debatable if manu was 100 percent.

in 02's playoffs, Lakers would have been beaten in the former series by the kings if they hadn't bribed the refs.

I still doute fisher's winning buzzer shot in game6 of 04's playoffs. It's incredible for a human to grab the ball, turn around, jump and shoot, do all these things within 0.4 second. even though his name is fisher which sounds like the name of a mutant. Lakers suck as well as their city which is home to those hollywood sucking movies.

Yorae
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
the result of last season's series would be very debatable if manu was 100 percent.

in 02's playoffs, Lakers would have been beaten in the former series by the kings if they hadn't bribed the refs.

I still doute fisher's winning buzzer shot in game6 of 04's playoffs. It's incredible for a human to grab the ball, turn around, jump and shoot, do all these things within 0.4 second. even though his name is fisher which sounds like the name of a mutant. Lakers suck as well as their city which is home to those hollywood sucking movies.

He is a mutant.

DrHouse
01-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Typical apologists. Can never man up and admit that their team lost fair and square. Spurs fans are perhaps some of the whiniest in the league.

You lament the fact that Manu was injured, but at least he was playing. The Lakers didn't even have Bynum or Ariza in any shape to play for the playoffs. You make due with what you have, nobody can control injuries. Nobody felt sorry for the Lakers in '89 when BOTH Magic and Scott went down with injuries that ultimately cost them the championship. Hell I'd wager very few people even know that, but we all sure as hell know that Manu Ginobili was so injured that he could play all 5 games because you whiny little fans won't stop screaming it at the top of your lungs.

DPG21920
01-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Typical apologists. Can never man up and admit that their team lost fair and square. Spurs fans are perhaps some of the whiniest in the league.

You lament the fact that Manu was injured, but at least he was playing. The Lakers didn't even have Bynum or Ariza in any shape to play for the playoffs. You make due with what you have, nobody can control injuries. Nobody felt sorry for the Lakers in '89 when BOTH Magic and Scott went down with injuries that ultimately cost them the championship. Hell I'd wager very few people even know that, but we all sure as hell know that Manu Ginobili was so injured that he could play all 5 games because you whiny little fans won't stop screaming it at the top of your lungs.

:cry..no one said we got cheated. everyone is asking Laker fans to quit acting like they destroyed the Spurs.

DrHouse
01-05-2009, 11:39 PM
:cry..no one said we got cheated. everyone is asking Laker fans to quit acting like they destroyed the Spurs.

It's the WCF. It's extremely rare that one of the two best teams in the WC just blows the other one out of the water, though the Lakers actually did that to the Spurs in '01. So when the Lakers win 4-1, it's a pretty solid victory. The Spur's problems were deeper than just Manu Ginobili last season.

DPG21920
01-05-2009, 11:44 PM
It's the WCF. It's extremely rare that one of the two best teams in the WC just blows the other one out of the water, though the Lakers actually did that to the Spurs in '01. So when the Lakers win 4-1, it's a pretty solid victory. The Spur's problems were deeper than just Manu Ginobili last season.

No one said it wasn't a solid victory. Any win against the Spurs in the playoffs is solid. I still do not believe that the Lakers were the better team if all players that played a minute in that series were fully healthy. That is all. No big deal, we are over it, but as I outlined in another thread, the no Bynum+Ariza argument is not a good one either.

Look, this is the dumbest argument that Laker fans try and make. You lost Bynum early, had time to adjust and had time to bring in a player to replace his production that is wayyyyyyyy better in Pau.

Ginobili was arguably the Spurs best player last year, got injured right before the series started and we had no one that could even come close to his production.

So it is not apples to apples kid. Plus Gino >>>>>>>>Bynum + Ariza

DrHouse
01-05-2009, 11:56 PM
No one said it wasn't a solid victory. Any win against the Spurs in the playoffs is solid. I still do not believe that the Lakers were the better team if all players that played a minute in that series were fully healthy. That is all. No big deal, we are over it, but as I outlined in another thread, the no Bynum+Ariza argument is not a good one either.

A healthy Manu does not close the gap this season. Not by a long shot. Pop himself admits that the Spurs are not on the Lakers level. He might know a thing or two about basketball.

The Lakers are 27-5 right now. Off to one of their best starts in Laker history. 3 out of their 5 losses have come down to the wire. They beat BOS X-mas day playing grind it out basketball. They have thus far destroyed every top team in the WC.

If you don't think Bynum and Ariza are a huge reason why you are a fucking idiot. Their impact on the Lakers defensively is huge.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 12:00 AM
A healthy Manu does not close the gap this season. Not by a long shot. Pop himself admits that the Spurs are not on the Lakers level. He might know a thing or two about basketball.

The Lakers are 27-5 right now. Off to one of their best starts in Laker history. 3 out of their 5 losses have come down to the wire. They beat BOS X-mas day playing grind it out basketball. They have thus far destroyed every top team in the WC.

If you don't think Bynum and Ariza are a huge reason why you are a fucking idiot. Their impact on the Lakers defensively is huge.

You must be new here.

First of all, I said the Lakers were better than the Spurs, so open your eyes and shut your mouth.

Secondly, I am one of the biggest Bynum supporters on the board (ask your fellow Laker fans). So once again, STFU.

Lastly, you fail to see beyond your own shadow of arrogance. So go on thinking the Lakers have no weaknesses and no room for improvement, the playoffs will tell the real story.

SmellyFeet
01-06-2009, 12:03 AM
4-1, biatches.

We gonna make you cry on the 14'th. Bring Vaseline,

YOU GONNA GET RAPED.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Yes the playoffs will likely tell the same story that Laker fans already know.

Phil Jackson owns Greg Popovich. 4-1 record speaks for itself. When the talent level between both teams is level, I'm putting my money on Phil.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Yes the playoffs will likely tell the same story that Laker fans already know.

Phil Jackson owns Greg Popovich. 4-1 record speaks for itself. When the talent level between both teams is level, I'm putting my money on Phil.

Apparently all the GM's disagree with you, but hey, I guess you know more than them.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Apparently all the GM's disagree with you, but hey, I guess you know more than them.

Apparently history and reality disagree with you. Fuck you are one delusional fan.

And no, no GM in the league believes the Spurs are good enough to beat the Lakers this season in a 7 game series.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Apparently history and reality disagree with you. Fuck you are one delusional fan.

And no, no GM in the league believes the Spurs are good enough to beat the Lakers this season in a 7 game series.

You said that you put your money on Phil, I said the GM's disagree. You are so caught up in Laker butt sex you cannot even argue the correct point:

http://www.nba.com/2008/tipoff/10/21/gmsurvey.coaches/index.html

MarHill
01-06-2009, 12:37 AM

Again..Laker fans have their revisionist history glasses on.

Game 1 89-85 Lakers
Game 2 101-71 Lakers
Game 3 103-84 Spurs
Game 4 93-91 Lakers
Game 5 100-92 Lakers

Three close games and a blowout on the either side from last year WCF. This was a close, competitive series and the Lakers did win it fair and square. Just because it was a 5 game series...doesn't mean it wasn't close.

Also, Manu's injury was the difference for the Spurs. It showed in Game 3....when he's on the Spurs are almost unbeatable. Manu is the X-Factor for the Spurs and he's plays well......it opens everything else but you are going to consistency from Duncan and Parker.

Moreover, outside of Barry in gms 3 & 4....the Spurs had no else who could put the ball in the basket.

The Lakers are the favorite in the West and they should be...but to automatically think that the Lakers are just going to walk away with the conference...is premature in the least and arrogant at best.

:flag:

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Again..Laker fans have their revisionist history glasses on.

Game 1 89-85 Lakers
Game 2 101-71 Lakers
Game 3 103-84 Spurs
Game 4 93-91 Lakers
Game 5 100-92 Lakers

Three close games and a blowout on the either side from last year WCF. This was a close, competitive series and the Lakers did win it fair and square. Just because it was a 5 game series...doesn't mean it wasn't close.

Also, Manu's injury was the difference for the Spurs. It showed in Game 3....when he's on the Spurs are almost unbeatable. Manu is the X-Factor for the Spurs and he's plays well......it opens everything else but you are going to consistency from Duncan and Parker.

Moreover, outside of Barry in gms 3 & 4....the Spurs had no else who could put the ball in the basket.

The Lakers are the favorite in the West and they should be...but to automatically think that the Lakers are just going to walk away with the conference...is premature in the least and arrogant at best.

Like I said when you win 4-1, regardless of how the victories come, it's a solid victory. Playoff games are often decided by 1-2 plays down the stretch and it all comes down to which team can execute when it matters most. The Lakers did and the Spurs didn't. You don't get bonus points for almost winning a game. Do you realize how pathetic you sound trying to rationalize the fact that the Spurs lost fair and square?

ElNono
01-06-2009, 12:47 AM

History shows (last 6 seasons sample):
Last NBA Championships coming from the Western Conference team: Spurs/Spurs/Spurs
Last choked NBA Championships coming from the Western Conference team: Lakers/Mavs/Lakers

You want respect? Earn it by winning it all. Nobody remembers who finished second or third or fourth...

Enjoy the 'first half of the regular season trophy' since that's all you're getting this year. It's an odd year... You know what that means: We're taking this one.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 12:50 AM
You say Spurs fans are shouting about how they were beating fair and square. Well all you Laker fans are shouting only about beating the Spurs. You do not get a trophy by beating the Spurs.

I could of sworn I heard Laker fans shouting when Pierce was carried off and then came back.

MarHill
01-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Like I said when you win 4-1, regardless of how the victories come, it's a solid victory. Playoff games are often decided by 1-2 plays down the stretch and it all comes down to which team can execute when it matters most. The Lakers did and the Spurs didn't. You don't get bonus points for almost winning a game. Do you realize how pathetic you sound trying to rationalize the fact that the Spurs lost fair and square?

I'm not trying to rationalize anything. And I'm giving not the Spurs bonus points for almost winning a series.

I gave the Lakers credit for winning the series. But to post that the Lakers blew out the Spurs is just wrong. You didn't watch that series closely.

I could post that Boston outclassed LA in the NBA finals. The Spurs didn't lose by 39 points in the clinching game of a series. Even though that series went one game longer than the Lakers/Spurs series....the WCF was a lot closer than the NBA Finals!

InRareForm
01-06-2009, 12:55 AM
drhouse goddamn your name suits you well, you do a good job of bugging the shit out of me.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm not trying to rationalize anything. And I'm giving not the Spurs bonus points for almost winning a series.

I gave the Lakers credit for winning the series. But to post that the Lakers blew out the Spurs is just wrong. You didn't watch that series closely.

I could post that Boston outclassed LA in the NBA finals. The Spurs didn't lose by 39 points in the clinching game of a series. Even though that series went one game longer than the Lakers/Spurs series....the WCF was a lot closer than the NBA Finals!

No, it really wasn't. It was clear in the WCF that the Spurs were out of gas because they were too old. The Lakers would have won more decisively had the series gone on to Game 6 and Game 7. I remember in Game 5 Kobe simply had his way down the stretch, neither Bowen nor Duncan could stop him from getting in the paint.

The bottom line is a healthy Manu Ginobili is not going to be enough to counter Bynum+Ariza. The Lakers have beaten BOS this season. They've soundly beaten every top WC team. They are 27-5 and off to one of the best starts in team history. Their defense is markedly improved in all categories and they are now a top 5-10 team in most statistics. Their offense is #1 in the league in terms of ppg and efficiency. They are easily the deepest team in the WC and can survive injuries to just about anyone not named Kobe. You have no idea what the Spurs are going up against when you spout your BS that Manu Ginobili > Bynum + Ariza.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 01:01 AM
History shows (last 6 seasons sample):
Last NBA Championships coming from the Western Conference team: Spurs/Spurs/Spurs
Last choked NBA Championships coming from the Western Conference team: Lakers/Mavs/Lakers

You want respect? Earn it by winning it all. Nobody remembers who finished second or third or fourth...

Enjoy the 'first half of the regular season trophy' since that's all you're getting this year. It's an odd year... You know what that means: We're taking this one.

Are you stupid? The Lakers have 14 championships. They don't need to prove anything to anybody.

SpursDynasty
01-06-2009, 01:02 AM

The Spurs lost 4-1, but not fair and square. Fisher's foul at the end of Game 4 on Barry, a missed call (which the NBA acknowledged the next day) which could have tied the game at least, altered the entire series. That's not fair and square, that's a lucky missed call for LA.

lefty
01-06-2009, 01:07 AM
January 14 is a meaningless game.

Both coaches will go CIA

MarHill
01-06-2009, 01:09 AM
No, it really wasn't. It was clear in the WCF that the Spurs were out of gas because they were too old. The Lakers would have won more decisively had the series gone on to Game 6 and Game 7. I remember in Game 5 Kobe simply had his way down the stretch, neither Bowen nor Duncan could stop him from getting in the paint.

The bottom line is a healthy Manu Ginobili is not going to be enough to counter Bynum+Ariza. The Lakers have beaten BOS this season. They've soundly beaten every top WC team. They are 27-5 and off to one of the best starts in team history. Their defense is markedly improved in all categories and they are now a top 5-10 team in most statistics. Their offense is #1 in the league in terms of ppg and efficiency. They are easily the deepest team in the WC and can survive injuries to just about anyone not named Kobe. You have no idea what the Spurs are going up against when you spout your BS that Manu Ginobili > Bynum + Ariza.

Yes it was a close series.......the Spurs only got blown out one game in the series. And the Spurs returned the favor in the next game. You had 3 or 4 wins within 8 points or less...sorry that's a close series.
Sorry!!

In the clinching game of the series..it was a close game and yes Kobe went off great!! But it was only a 8 point win....that's a close game!!

I know you want to discard the Spurs like yesterday news...but the fact that Manu wasn't healthy does make a big difference. Even Kobe admitted after game 3 in that series....how great Manu was and how much he made a difference for the Spurs.

So.....if you want to stay with the revisionst history you can. But it was a closer series and also the fact the Spurs will have more offensive weapons with Mason and Hill will help the big three that much more.

I just want to both teams to be healthy for playoffs and hope they can play each other. So this debate can be settled!!

But...I'm going to challenge Lakers fans who keep putting their revisionist spin on last year's WCF.

Gutter92
01-06-2009, 01:14 AM
DrHouse, why mention that 3 of the 5 Lakers losses came down to the wire, when a few posts later you argue "1 team just executes better than the other in the clutch" or w/e. Cant have it both ways. No argument why you lost 3 close games then...you got out executed.

PS. Spurs also lost 3 within 4 points.

But they also won 7 within 4 points.

Healthy Manu this year, added 2 good scorers to come off the bench, resurgence of Finley..yea, I think that the series will be close...

Also, I love how laker fans on realgm argue that they were "very close" to beating the Celtics, in games that coulda gone either way...

well, they tend to, uh, lets say "forget" how many games they won against the Spurs that were close...game 5 shoulda been a 5 pt. victory instead of 8, had it not been for a classless shot by Vujacic...

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 01:14 AM
LOL, Ginobili is most definitely better than Bynum + Ariza when fully healthy. You seem to forget who Manu Ginobili is. When has Bynum + Ariza been a mainstay and clutch player on a championship team? How many rings do Bynum + Ariza have?

Keep in mind your best player (Kobe) wanted to "ship Bynum's ass out of there" just a little over a year ago. For Kidd.

z0sa
01-06-2009, 01:17 AM
FYI, PJ was not coaching the Lakers in 1999. That post from the guy you called a "moron" specifically stated Phil Jackson coached Lakers.

So decades last nine years now. Or maybe you just didn't get what I was calling him a moron about.

:sleep :sleep its clearly a troll trying to undermine the spurs. why defend him?

Man In Black
01-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Pop himself admits that the Spurs are not on the Lakers level. He might know a thing or two about basketball.

Clearly Lacker fan knows nothing of Pop Psychology. What the lame pig-headed doc just described is, in Pop term is, playing with appropriate fear. In short, Pop says that to keep his team working. It's that type of family dynamic that leads to the strength this team has, as opposed to Colonel Phil Sanders Jackson. He would write tell-all books and his inability to control the best Center-SG Combo seen in the last 20 years and ultimate, their untimely divorce.

Yorae
01-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Well, Spurs would rather face the Lakers than the Bucks....

HarlemHeat37
01-06-2009, 01:33 AM
are some of you guys serious?..

Bynum is an average player..no, that's not an exaggeration at all..he's an average player..he was great defensively in the first few weeks, but he's no longer even close to that right now..he's playing with no energy, he has trouble creating on his own, he's foul prone..he's an average player..

Ariza? yes, he makes a difference..

it's not like the Spurs haven't gotten upgrades neither..we've upgraded at the 1 and the 2..Bonner is much better..

Ginobili isn't going to be completely healthy by the 14th, so that's irrelevant..the difference with a healthy Manu is big though, because we rely on our big 3 more than any other team in the NBA..

we obviously aren't as good as the Lakers..would they be favored to beat us in a series? of course..CAN we beat them? yes, we can..but to say that the Lakers gaining Bynum and Ariza gives them an even bigger edge over us than last year is wrong IMO..it'll be the same as it was going into the series last year..

you obviously have to consider the fact that we blew a 20-point lead in game 1, and a questionable call might have cost us game 4..the series was closer, just like the Lakers-Celtics series was closer..

Lakers are better, but it wouldn't be out of the question for us to beat them in a series..

mystargtr34
01-06-2009, 02:00 AM
You're an idiot. Your team has done nothing this season or last to warrant the shit talking you spew. You're old getting older, going the way of the Suns and Mavs. You're just too dumb to see it.

What have the Lakers done since 2002?

Ill tell you what 'his' team has done since then, won 3 damn championships. Whether your a lottery team, exit in the first round or get your ass whooped by 39 points in game 6 of the Finals, you didnt win the championship, so no one gives a fuck about your team or what you think your team can or will do.

The Celtics are the big dogs in the league right now because they have the 'ship. Until 'your' team wins a championship, STFU about being the best team in the league because your talk is cheap.

Sissiborgo
01-06-2009, 02:56 AM

We got the Heat man:fro

Chieflion
01-06-2009, 03:14 AM
We got the Heat man:fro

Good. Spurs should just play one game at a time. Look what the Lakers did before they beat the Celtics.

SmellyFeet
01-06-2009, 03:23 AM
January 14 is a meaningless game.

Both coaches will go CIA

that's right son, start making up excuses now, it will hurt less when your team gets raped.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 03:34 AM
Wow I would expect Spurs fans of all people to be the most level-headed fans, but you guys are worse than some of the Celtics fans I've met.

First of all there is no way you can say that adding Bynum and Ariza to the Lakers changes nothing. That's the dumbest and most asinine thing I've ever heard.

I take it you all watched the Celtics series.....adding Bynum into the starting lineup allows Pau to guard the weaker and less physical front court player. He improves defensive rebounding and shotblocking around the rim. Ariza coming off the bench is just a disruptive defensive force we have not had at the SF spot in years. He provides all the intangibles that don't show up on stat sheets. These two players alone are very much responsible for the big turnaround in the Laker defense this season.

They are the reason why the Lakers were able to beat the Celtics at their own game. If you honestly believe adding both of these players to the Lakers changes nothing, you're in for a surprise on the 14th.

Spurs fans should be content that their team was able to win 4 titles. It's a huge accomplishment. But your era is clearly over. You simply don't have the depth, size, or talent to compete agains the elite teams of the NBA. You've lost to PHX, DEN, DAL, HOU, NOH, ORL.....these are the teams you are going to face in the playoffs. Not the Grizzlies, not the Clippers, or whatever garbage teams there are in the WC.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Monday
ESPN Power Rankings (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking)
1. Lakers (1) Marc Stein wrote: Throw out a winter trip to Florida that went awry and the Lakers are 10-0 since the Dec. 9 debacle in Sacramento. And so they've reclaimed the league's best record along with the top spot where it matters. (Yes, here.)
NBA.com Power Rankings (http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/)
1. Lakers (2) John Schumann wrote: Thanks to some upsets in the East and an impressive win over the Blazers, the Lakers are back to having the best record in the league. They're also the most efficient offense for the first time this season. As much as the Pau Gasol trade helped the Lakers last season, the deal they made for Trevor Ariza last November is looking pretty good too.
USA Today Power Rankings (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/power-rankings.htm)
1. Lakers (3) Chris Colston wrote: Portland's McMillan: Lakers are "on a mission."

Yorae
01-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Is he bragging a bit too much? Gago to ha. He's acting like the lakers already won the championship.

Chieflion
01-06-2009, 04:25 AM
Wow I would expect Spurs fans of all people to be the most level-headed fans, but you guys are worse than some of the Celtics fans I've met.

First of all there is no way you can say that adding Bynum and Ariza to the Lakers changes nothing. That's the dumbest and most asinine thing I've ever heard.

I take it you all watched the Celtics series.....adding Bynum into the starting lineup allows Pau to guard the weaker and less physical front court player. He improves defensive rebounding and shotblocking around the rim. Ariza coming off the bench is just a disruptive defensive force we have not had at the SF spot in years. He provides all the intangibles that don't show up on stat sheets. These two players alone are very much responsible for the big turnaround in the Laker defense this season.

They are the reason why the Lakers were able to beat the Celtics at their own game. If you honestly believe adding both of these players to the Lakers changes nothing, you're in for a surprise on the 14th.

Spurs fans should be content that their team was able to win 4 titles. It's a huge accomplishment. But your era is clearly over. You simply don't have the depth, size, or talent to compete agains the elite teams of the NBA. You've lost to PHX, DEN, DAL, HOU, NOH, ORL.....these are the teams you are going to face in the playoffs. Not the Grizzlies, not the Clippers, or whatever garbage teams there are in the WC.

We beat the Suns, Nuggets, Mavericks and the Rockets before. We are bound to lose some games and win some. Am I supposed to write you off after losing to the Kings?

BlueDog
01-06-2009, 04:47 AM
Tim, Kurt, Matt, and Anthony, maybe they will have some sort of positive effect on the front court play. I have especially admired Kurt's defensive play this season so far, as well as Matt's rebound and 3-point numbers. I will be glad to see which combinations coach Poppovich uses for this game. It shall be mighty exciting!

P.S. If Tolliver and Bonner are more skilled at post play they will make quite the difference.

ElNono
01-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Are you stupid? The Lakers have 14 championships. They don't need to prove anything to anybody.

Really? Last year NBA Finals was meaningless? You don't give a shit if they win it all or not?

The Lakers still have to prove they can win it all without Shaq... So far, they can't.

ElNono
01-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Monday
1. Lakers (1) Marc Stein wrote: Throw out a winter trip to Florida that went awry and the Lakers are 10-0 since the Dec. 9 debacle in Sacramento. And so they've reclaimed the league's best record along with the top spot where it matters. (Yes, here.)
1. Lakers (2) John Schumann wrote: Thanks to some upsets in the East and an impressive win over the Blazers, the Lakers are back to having the best record in the league. They're also the most efficient offense for the first time this season. As much as the Pau Gasol trade helped the Lakers last season, the deal they made for Trevor Ariza last November is looking pretty good too.
USA Today Power Rankings (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/power-rankings.htm)
1. Lakers (3) Chris Colston wrote: Portland's McMillan: Lakers are "on a mission."

Do you get an award for 'winning' the Power Rankings?

ManuTastic
01-06-2009, 08:41 AM

Actually, it'll be Tim against all the above plus defending the rim against Kobe.

We need another big.

Brazil
01-06-2009, 09:08 AM

That's the dumbest and most asinine thing I've ever heard.

carib
01-06-2009, 10:06 AM
I know that it’s early in the season but here we have the two top teams in the West playing good ball and both are very competitive, also you have two great coaches that like to play chess matches early in the season. With all of that said I think the flow of January 14, 2009 game comes down to the way Kobe comes out to play.

On the other hand I think Pop should play the newer players real hard in the fourth so that they can get mentally strong for this type of match up come the playoffs, also the big men need to come out real physical and bang with the Lakers big men.

It’s just something about LA and the Spurs match up I look forward to it every year.

2Cleva
01-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Actually, it'll be Tim against all the above plus defending the rim against Kobe.

We need another big.

Agreed.

Until the Spurs get a better big man next to Tim than what they have now, they aren't beating LA in a series.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 10:25 AM

This just confirmed what I thought. You are new.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Wow some revisionist history going on here.

2007 WCF

Game 1 - Spurs blow huge double digit lead in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Series changing collapse.

Game 2 - Lakers blow out the Spurs.

Game 3 - Spurs muster up a good fight and show they aren't going to lay down and take it. Win decisively in a blowout.

Game 4 - Lakers come out the gate dominating and it stays that way the entire game save the last few minutes when they almost gave up the lead entirely. This was not a close game, the Lakers dominated for the majority of the game save the last two minutes.

Game 5 - Spurs blow another double digit lead, but this time it was an early lead. The Spurs simply couldn't keep pace with the Lakers as the game went on and they clearly had no gas in the tank to stop Kobe at the end.

Like I said before it was not a blowout win for the Lakers, but a solid and decisive victory. The Lakers were flat out the better team and any idiot who watched the series can see that. The parity between both teams was not what it was in say 2004, the Lakers were clearly playing better basketball.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Monday

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_mannix/01/05/power.rankings/index.html?eref=T1

NBA Power Rankings

Last Week: 2 Los Angeles Lakers (27-5)
There aren't many causes for concern in Lakerland, but one of them has to be center Andrew Bynum. The Lakers' prodigy hasn't embarrassed himself (he is averaging 11.9 points and 8.3 rebounds), but he hasn't found the groove he was in before his knee injury last season. "He has gone through a lot of games now," coach Phil Jackson told reporters. "I think some of it is power and going through the motions and getting the power [back in his knee]."

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Lakers Andrew Bynum admits to poor play
Andrew Bynum thought something was wrong with his game. He believed he wasn't playing with the same gusto as he was at this time last season, when he was running and jumping and dunking and rebounding with remarkable success. So, he watched a stack of videos, which confirmed his suspicions. Something was wrong. He discovered he wasn't playing with the same gusto as he was at this time last season, when he made a major career breakthrough. "I don't think I'm taking advantage of the opportunities I'm getting," Bynum said before the Lakers played against the Portland Trail Blazers on Sunday night at Staples Center. "I just need to go out there and put more energy to it. "When I watched last year's tapes and this year's tapes, there's a difference you can see pretty clearly." Bynum refused to play the blame game. He said his left kneecap was not the reason for a decline in production. He was averaging 12.2 points and 8.2 rebounds before Sunday's game, down from his 2007-08 averages of 13.1 points and 10.2 rebounds. "I'm not taking easy or not trusting the leg," the 7-foot Bynum said. "It feels fine. It feels like it's good." -- LA Daily News

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Bynum is playing good enough for the Lakers to beat BOS.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Utah coach Jerry Sloan last week was asked about the Lakers, whom his Jazz were about to play, and he gave quite an interesting answer. "They are a terrific team," Sloan said. "They've been fortu nate. They've got gifts, and any time you get gifts that can start for you, that's a tremendous advantage. Give them the credit. They were lucky to be able to get them. Proba bly thrilled to death. And that makes them a very good team." Those "gifts" he was referring to seem to be Derek Fisher and Pau Gasol. Fisher was a huge part of the Jazz's run to the Western Conference finals two years ago. After that season, he asked to be let out of his contract so he could live in a city where his daughter could get better treatment for an eye disorder. Fisher immediately signed with the Lakers (the Cavs and the Cleveland Clinic's renowned Cole Eye Institute weren't enough). Apparently there's some raw feelings on the Jazz's side about that one. Then last season, the Grizzlies virtually gave Gasol to the Lakers. The only player Memphis still has from that deal is rookie Marc Gasol, Pau's brother. Months after the trade, Memphis owner Michael Heisley admitted it was a major mistake. -- Cleveland Plain Dealer

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Bynum is playing good enough for the Lakers to beat BOS.

Just pointing out that people that do this for a living seem to disagree that all is perfect in La La land.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 11:00 AM
I guess you would expect great NBA coaches to be level headed, but they are worse than some of the Boston fans you talk to...

MarHill
01-06-2009, 11:20 AM

DrHouse,

You make some good points on your analysis. But you are overstating your case for the Lakers.

First of all, I watched the Lakers-Celtics Xmas Day Game twice. I wanted to see Bynum's impact on that game.

You are right...but saying that him playing center moves Gasol back to his natural position of PF. However, he didn't have much of an impact on that game at all. He had a nice dunk in the first half off of a P/R and a couple of blocks. But Laker fans..are talking like him coming back from his injury he was going to be next next Shaq or Wilt.

He still has a long ways to go and from that game I don't think he has that presence yet that you want from a big time center.

Now, he's 20 or 21 and he's coming off an injury...so it will take time for him.

In that game..it was Gasol who stepped in the last two minutes and helped them win that game. Remember, it was a tie game with 2:05 left. I believe Gasol scored 7 points down the stretch and that was the difference.

Now, to your overanalysis of the Spurs. It amaze me how people criticize who you play on your schedule. The Spurs didn't make their schedule and considering that Tony and Manu were out for most of the first month of the season where teams had a chance to bury the Spurs...they didn't.

And yes they've had a favorable schedule. But if the Spurs had lost those games....then what? The fact they beat Den, Dal, Phx, Mia all on the road after losing to them at home is a nice feat. They are not elite teams...but they are good teams. Also, beating Hou and Utah at home without Tony and Manu were good wins as well. Especially the Houston....being down double digits in the 4th quarter.

Also, you should be savvy enough to know that the Spurs play NOH four times in a season and the Orlando game is coming up on the 11th. So the Spurs will get a chance to avenge those losses from December. Moreover, the teams can play well against one another in regular season and lost to that same team in the postseason. Spurs beat both NOH and PHX in last year playoffs. PHX had beaten the Spurs 3-1 in the regular season series and the Spurs split with NOH 2-2 in the regular season series but the two losses to NOH were blowouts. So, please don't overstate the regular season wins!!!

Lastly, to say that the Spurs' era is over is disrespecting your opponent. In my criticism of your Lakers' analysis has been to your overstatement they are going to walk through the Western Conference and the revisionist history of last year's WCF.

I have never posted they aren't a good team and they don't deserve to be the favorite in the west. They are last year's Western Conference Championships. But you have made a premature analysis and we've just gotten in the third month of the season. We are still a month or so away from the all-star game.

The Spurs greatest acheivement in this era has been their consistency. They have averaged 58 wins in since the 2002-2003 and won three titles in that period. The team still has the four main components (Tim, Tony, Manu, and Bruce Bowen) so they still have a legitimate shot as a contender. And to not see that or believe that...is a flat out denial.

Now, the Spurs have made a good free agent signing with Mason and drafted a back-up PG in Hill and both have gotten to play a lot minutes early in the season and that will benefit the team in the long run and also gives the Spurs some depth...something they haven't had awhile. It will payoff huge for them in the playoffs.

Like all teams..the Spurs have some weaknesses particularly on the frontline besides TD. But, the Lakers' weaknesses has been their defense (even though it has gotten better) and their inconsistency of it. Even, Phil Jackson and Kobe have admitted as such. And in the game against the Celtics...their interior defense was exposed with Gasol and Bynum on the floor. Rondo got 2 layups, Garnett got 2 dunks, and Perkins got 2 dunks in that first half. So teams know they can attack the Lakers there.

I appreciated the fact you believe the Lakers are the best in the west and you have every right to post that. But, to discount a team with the championship pedigree that the Spurs have in this era and are on pace to win 54 or 55 games this season and have made a couple of key additions to their team....is not respecting your opponent and the serious challenge they will bring when it comes playoff time.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 11:26 AM
It's not disrespect. I'm just stating my opinion.

I don't think the Spurs made enough moves to be able to take down the Lakers in a 7 game series. They need another quality big alongside Duncan and a better bench to be able to truly compete.

mathbzh
01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
For that game against Boston I was not really impressed with LA. Obviously a win over Boston is a good win. But the Lakers were at home and wanted that win much more than Boston. They fought on every lose ball... and the game was still close. I don't bash the Lakers. They play great bb... and with great heart for that game. But I have the feeling that a rematch of the finals against the C's would give the same result.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 11:31 AM
The Celtics grimaced and took it like the professionals they are, giving the Lakers credit.

Well, all but one Laker.

The exception was Andrew Bynum, who missed last spring's series, whose modest line -- nine points, seven rebounds, two blocks -- doesn't measure his impact.

Nor were the Celtics about to acknowledge it.

Does Bynum make a difference, Kevin Garnett was asked.

"No," Garnett said.

Compared with last season's team?

"No."

It's not a shock to run into another 7-footer?

"It's not a shock because our defensive assignments are made if it was Chris Mihm, if it was Andrew Bynum, if it was Pau at the five and Lamar at the four," Garnett said. "Our defensive assignments don't change no matter who's there. . . .

"Hell, it could be Shaq. Our defensive assignments are what they are."

I guess all of the coaches and gm's and players are wrong and you are right about Phil, Bynum and the Lakers being the best team ever.

2Cleva
01-06-2009, 11:31 AM
For that game against Boston I was not really impressed with LA. Obviously a win over Boston is a good win. But the Lakers were at home and wanted that win much more than Boston. They fought on every lose ball... and the game was still close. I don't bash the Lakers. They play great bb... and with great heart for that game. But I have the feeling that a rematch of the finals against the C's would give the same result.

Boston didn't want that game badly? Look at how they've played since that game and it shows losing to LA put them in a funk.

2Cleva
01-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I guess all of the coaches and gm's and players are wrong and you are right about Phil, Bynum and the Lakers being the best team ever.

KG said more by not acknowledging the difference than he could by doing so.

Best team ever? Hardly. All that matters is who proves to be the best team in June.

MarHill
01-06-2009, 11:34 AM

I don't think the Spurs made enough moves to be able to take down the Lakers in a 7 game series. They need another quality big alongside Duncan and a better bench to be able to truly compete.

I know it is your opinion..just like I'm stating my opinion. My point to you is your saying that the Spurs don't have a chance to contend when all the evidence and history says otherwise. Well..if it isn't disrespect it sure reads like it.

The issue for the Spurs for last year was their offense outside the Big 3. Well, with signing Mason and drafting Hill and playing him has addressed that concern.

I believe that is the bigger issue (than the big besides Tim) and it has shown early in the season when this team have 4 or 5 players in double figures....it makes them a very dangerous ball club. Also, that Mason has hit two game winning shots this season already is huge. The Spurs know that they have other options besides the Big 3 down the stretch of a ballgame.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM

Spurs fans are perhaps some of the whiniest in the league.

because you whiny little fans won't stop screaming it at the top of your lungs.

If you don't think Bynum and Ariza are a huge reason why you are a fucking idiot.

Do you realize how pathetic you sound trying to rationalize the fact that the Spurs lost fair and square?

Are you stupid?

. That's the dumbest and most asinine thing I've ever heard.

LOL, clearly you meant no disrespect. Hey, you are a doctor.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 11:44 AM
KG said more by not acknowledging the difference than he could by doing so.

Best team ever? Hardly. All that matters is who proves to be the best team in June.

Once again, Laker fans thinking they know more than NBA players.

EricB
01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I think as it stands right now its obvious the Lakers are better, and we shall see how the new additions fare against the Lakers.

I think what will prove problematic for the Spurs is Ariza on Ginobili/Mason. If they can negate Ariza's defense things will not be too bad. I'm confident in Duncan's ability to guard Gasol, the difference will be in how Bonner/Thomas guard Andrew Bynum.

Also another big key I think is the defense from Bruce Bowen, Roger Mason on Kobe Bryant. The thing the Spurs lacked in that western conference finals was someone else that could give Bryant fits, and I think Mason has the potential to do that, but we shall see. Again, I don't know if the Spurs can win this game, games in the middle of January against big opponents usually ends up being a message board cherry bomb, in the Spurs come out, don't play that great, Pop makes a couple of questionable moves and the team loses by 12 resulting in a forum meltdown questioning the draf, FA signings and pretty much everyone in the organization. George Hill could be a pretty key part because the Lakers right now without Farmar don't have an athletic point guard, and I think Hill could cause them problems with his dribble penetration getting Fisher or whoever else in foul trouble.
Thats the big thing though the wing players have to be agressive and not settle for the outside shot because I think that benefits the Lakers who love to play man up and rarely go into doubles.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 11:58 AM
For real, last year in the WCF, that was the best I have ever seen Kobe play. No one could have stopped him. In the finals not only was he not as good as in the WCF, the Celts defense was very good.

EricB
01-06-2009, 12:01 PM
For real, last year in the WCF, that was the best I have ever seen Kobe play. No one could have stopped him. In the finals not only was he not as good as in the WCF, the Celts defense was very good.

Yeah Kobe turned it up a notch, but the series was still winnable had they had some people like a George Hill to help with the load.

As its been said a million times, defense didn't lose the series, the lack of scoring killed them and just put WAY too much pressure on the defense.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I agree. Our back court is going to be a problem for the Lakers (if Manu is Manu). Will that be enough? I do not know. But it is really the match ups we have to exploit with constant aggression and solid outside shooting.

The Spurs offense works and they usually get the same exact looks whether the win or lose; the only difference in winning is the shots falling.

z0sa
01-06-2009, 12:11 PM
I agree. Our back court is going to be a problem for the Lakers (if Manu is Manu). Will that be enough? I do not know. But it is really the match ups we have to exploit with constant aggression and solid outside shooting.

The Spurs offense works and they usually get the same exact looks whether the win or lose; the only difference in winning is the shots falling.

How about this: if you add Mason Jr and George Hill to that team last season (with a full year of experience like they'll have this year), do the spurs beat LA in game 1? And if so, do we beat them in the series then now that we have homecourt and momentum?

z0sa
01-06-2009, 12:12 PM
LOL, clearly you meant no disrespect. Hey, you are a doctor.
He's a troll in pretty much every since of the word, other than the fact he's truly a Lakerfan. He clearly wants to provoke spurs fans. I think hes much less confident in his team than he let's on, that's why he won't accept any argument for the spurs and creates whole threads just to say LA has no WC challengers (and apparently, no one in the East challenges them either).

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 12:13 PM
How about this: if you add Mason Jr and George Hill to that team last season (with a full year of experience like they'll have this year), do the spurs beat LA in game 1? And if so, do we beat them in the series then now that we have homecourt and momentum?

Not if Manu is still that hurt. I think that we will need everyone to beat the Lakers.

z0sa
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Not if Manu is still that hurt. I think that we will need everyone to beat the Lakers.

Do you see the point I'm getting at though? We added two good backcourt players (AKA LA's biggest weakness) to the fray, probably with LA and those scoring droughts in mind. If we hold leads in that series, we win or lose in 7, because you can't lose when up 3-2.

Besides, all we're gonna do is give the ball to Tim and the Lakers are going to double and triple mercilessly. If everyone hits open shots and makes the right plays, it won't be nearly as difficult as last season when Tim tripled meant Vaughn and Oberto were going to have to beat them.

1) Bonner nailing shots means LA moving Pau to his natural position will be worse. If Pau tries to do those big man doubleteams, Bonner will burn him.

2) Tim Duncan. LA's main strategy is double him and make our other players beat you. Last season, it worked. This season, we specifically added players LA has trouble defending against, especially out of a double team situation.

3) Health. The main concern for me is health. The truth is, this Spurs team is when healthy is more than good enough to compete for another championship, and with any team. Last season if they were healthy, I think the outcome of that series is much more in the spurs favor.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Do you see the point I'm getting at though? We added two good backcourt players (AKA LA's biggest weakness) to the fray, probably with LA and those scoring droughts in mind. If we hold leads in that series, we win or lose in 7, because you can't lose when up 3-2.

Besides, all we're gonna do is give the ball to Tim and the Lakers are going to double and triple mercilessly. If everyone hits open shots and makes the right plays, it won't be nearly as difficult as last season when Tim tripled meant Vaughn and Oberto were going to have to beat them.

1) Bonner nailing shots means LA moving Pau to his natural position will be worse. If Pau tries to do those big man doubleteams, Bonner will burn him.

2) Tim Duncan. LA's main strategy is double him and make our other players beat you. Last season, it worked. This season, we specifically added players LA has trouble defending against, especially out of a double team situation.

3) Health. The main concern for me is health. The truth is, this Spurs team is when healthy is more than good enough to compete for another championship, and with any team. Last season if they were healthy, I think the outcome of that series is much more in the spurs favor.

I see what you are saying and I agree. The Spurs need a fully healthy and energized Manu than anything else. With that and the additions in the back court along with the encouraging signs from Bonner, Finley and Kurt, I like the Spurs chances more than anyones to beat the Lakers. Only time will tell if that proves to be true.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 12:31 PM
How is Roger Mason Jr. going to defend Kobe any better than Udoka did? The Spurs had a pretty decent set of players to throw at Kobe compared to other WC teams.

You need to stop looking at individual matchups, that will not decide the series IMHO. It's going to come down to depth.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 12:32 PM
The Lakers do not always double Tim. They usually let him go one-on-one for a while, then in the fourth quarter throw an array of double and triple teams. They do a better job than anyone a confusing Duncan. That is all Phil.

But I agree with your assessment. There are still plenty of question marks for the Spurs though. All of those things are exactly what the Spurs planned, but we have to see if it actually plays out that way.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
How is Roger Mason Jr. going to defend Kobe any better than Udoka did? The Spurs had a pretty decent set of players to throw at Kobe compared to other WC teams.

You need to stop looking at individual matchups, that will not decide the series IMHO. It's going to come down to depth.

Why do you keep failing to recognize that the Spurs do not care if Kobe scores 80??? As long as we are not fouling him that is fine. Spurs have to shut down LO, Pau, and your shooters which they can do if they stay at home and do not foul.

Spurs have lots of back court depth. Up front is thin, but we have the best PF to help make up for it.

z0sa
01-06-2009, 12:39 PM

The playoffs are all about matchups. Vujacic couldn't guard Manu's jock - and it was proven in Game 3 when an injured Manu still laid 30 down on him :lol

But the reality is, Parker/Hill are your absolute biggest worries in the entire NBA. Parker is the achilles hill of a team like LA, with no lock down defender on the perimeter especially for someone so short, quick, and great at finishing/shooting, and no real interior D schematics. Hill is a mini-Parker who's probably already one of the best PG vs PG defenders in the NBA and has an even better jumpshot.

PJ always just packs the paint against Parker, it was easier last season than even 2004 with Parker tired and carrying the entire backcourt scoring on his shoulders. PJ's been doing this since the Stockton/Malone days in the Finals.

This season will be much different than last, as long as everyone (including your wretched Lakers) stay healthy. I predict another matchup a la Spurs/Mavs 06, all the way down to the wire.

z0sa
01-06-2009, 12:51 PM
The Lakers do not always double Tim. They usually let him go one-on-one for a while, then in the fourth quarter throw an array of double and triple teams. They do a better job than anyone a confusing Duncan. That is all Phil.

But I agree with your assessment. There are still plenty of question marks for the Spurs though. All of those things are exactly what the Spurs planned, but we have to see if it actually plays out that way.

Last season they were doubling and tripling constantly ... especially as the series wore on and the spurs were clearly tired. It has been this way every spurs vs lakers matchup in the Tim Duncan era:

PJ packs the paint and forces the spurs to hit jumpshots (we're the best 3pt shooting team in the League, Parker's/Tim's mid range jumpshots are money).

Tim starts going off and then the double's come, some early, some late. Tim starts thinking defer over score since he's not sure when the double's are going to be coming. Eventually the Spurs offense kicks into gear enough to beat the shit out of the Lakers at least 1-2 games, since LA hasn't had interior D since Shaq left.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Wow based on that expert analysis the Lakers might as well not even show up to play.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Wow based on that expert analysis the Lakers might as well not even show up to play.

Please point out where anyone of us has said that the Spurs would beat the Lakers for sure. Please.

z0sa
01-06-2009, 01:01 PM

based on your expert analysis the Spurs shouldn't even show up to play :sleep

come back when the Lakers beat the spurs, otherwise stop your fingers from polluting the WWW.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Vujacic wont' be guarding Manu anymore.

Ariza will.

And Gasol won't be guarding Duncan.

Bynum will.

LEONARD
01-06-2009, 01:20 PM
The Spurs lost 4-1, but not fair and square. Fisher's foul at the end of Game 4 on Barry, a missed call (which the NBA acknowledged the next day) which could have tied the game at least, altered the entire series. That's not fair and square, that's a lucky missed call for LA.

Whiniest little bitch ever

nkdlunch
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Ariza will.

Bynum will.

George Hill, Mason.

z0sa
01-06-2009, 01:26 PM

Ariza will.

Bynum will.

Manu can't be guarded except by a team with strong Team D (see: Boston Celtics D against Kobe last year). Ariza alone will be burned.

Now Bynum on Tim? :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Tim fucking PWNS Bynum. You're being serious? It'll be the same PJ shit as always, double Tim and force spurs to shoot jumpers.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 01:53 PM
You clearly have mistaken the Spurs from 2003 and 2006 with this current team. The Big 3 are not as good as they once were.

ElNono
01-06-2009, 01:56 PM
You clearly have mistaken the Spurs from 2003 and 2006 with this current team. The Big 3 are not as good as they once were.

You clearly have mistaken the 3 peat Lakers from 2000 with this current team. The current core has won absolutely nothing yet.

underdawg
01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but how much better is Bynum going to make them vs. last year? Turiaf wasn't a scrub and from what I remember he played decently for the limited minutes he had. Odom down low presented matchup problems for the Spurs and this year's traditional Laker lineup is better suited for the Spurs (if we get good play out of our bigs.) I'm not saying that Bynum's not a good player and will have no effect, but I just don't see how it will be as distinct of difference as some Laker fans portray it. Will it help - sure but not game, set, match.

xtremesteven33
01-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Spurs vs Lakers in the playoffs this year would be a WAR.

If the Spurs can land a veteran Big this year i say that puts us over the top: Joe Smith anyone???

didnt the sonics franchise handover Kurt Thomas to us last year for some draft picks??? maybe we can score again

z0sa
01-06-2009, 02:25 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

our big 3 last season were injured and tired. The Big3 you'll face this season will be MUCH better. You're a fool.

td4mvp21
01-06-2009, 02:31 PM

I would agree with this. The Spurs had several matchup advantages just as the Lakers did and I thought the Lakers did a better job of eliminating those matchup problems and utilizing their own matchup advantages than the Spurs did. Thus, they won the series.

I'm sorry but the Spurs had no Big 3 in 2003. It was Duncan by himself. Parker and Ginobili were barely even half the players they are today. Just had to clear that up...

And I disagree except with Ginobili. Duncan and Parker are the same or better. Ginobili is struggling but remember he is still recooperating a bit from ankle surgery so I'd give it some more time before making that judgment.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 02:50 PM
There's no guarantee your Big 3 won't be injured and tired again this season.

The bottom line is Spurs fans were saying the exact same things last season. And none of it mattered. The Lakers still won.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 02:55 PM
And newsflash, the Lakers beat the Spurs WITHOUT Bynum and Ariza. Whatever they bring is an added bonus.

DAF86
01-06-2009, 03:02 PM
There's no guarantee your Big 3 won't be injured and tired again this season.

The bottom line is Spurs fans were saying the exact same things last season. And none of it mattered. The Lakers still won.

And there's no guarantee that Kobe won't be in jail for raping a white chick so this futuristic discussion should end.

Brazil
01-06-2009, 03:23 PM
And newsflash, the Lakers beat the Spurs WITHOUT Bynum and Ariza. Whatever they bring is an added bonus.

And newsflash, the Lakers beat the spurs without mason and hill and with an injuried manu.

SpursDynasty
01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
The Lakers beat us without a legitimate 4th scorer in Roger Mason, an improved Bonner, and a solid back-up in Hill. Again, no need for trash-talking in this thread....the most important thing for the Spurs is to get homecourt advantage against the Lakers. The Spurs have never played well at Staples in the playoffs. We are 2-12 all-time in the playoffs at Staples, I don't know if we play worse anywhere else in the playoffs....last year we were 56-26, the Lakers were 57-25...all we needed to do was win one more game and we would have opened at home and won the series...This year, since we'll win all 3 games against the Lakers in the regular season, if we stay consistent against other teams we can close the gap between the #1 seed and #2 seed in the West.

Again, all they did was win one more game than we did and got homecourt advantage. Next week's game won't be a big deal. The Spurs are expected to win that game and there will be no need to celebrate big or trash-talk.

mathbzh
01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Boston didn't want that game badly? Look at how they've played since that game and it shows losing to LA put them in a funk.

An expected funk after a very long winning streak comes to an end.
I feel LA wanted that game even more. Of course I may be wrong.

This should not be important... the finals will be Spurs/Cavs :rolleyes

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
And newsflash, the Lakers beat the spurs without mason and hill and with an injuried manu.

You picked up Mason but lost Barry. Barry was huge for you in the playoffs against the Lakers and was a reliable scoring option off the bench. So in reality it's not that big of a deal that you added him. Hill is a rookie, I don't think I need to say anymore. Rookies rarely, if ever, have a serious impact in the playoffs.

The bench is mediocre at best. Too much glut in the backcourt, woefully thin up front. Not going to get it done against the Lakers who can put a 7 footer on the floor at all times.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 04:30 PM
The Lakers beat us without a legitimate 4th scorer in Roger Mason, an improved Bonner, and a solid back-up in Hill. Again, no need for trash-talking in this thread....the most important thing for the Spurs is to get homecourt advantage against the Lakers. The Spurs have never played well at Staples in the playoffs. We are 2-12 all-time in the playoffs at Staples, I don't know if we play worse anywhere else in the playoffs....last year we were 56-26, the Lakers were 57-25...all we needed to do was win one more game and we would have opened at home and won the series...This year, since we'll win all 3 games against the Lakers in the regular season, if we stay consistent against other teams we can close the gap between the #1 seed and #2 seed in the West.

Again, all they did was win one more game than we did and got homecourt advantage. Next week's game won't be a big deal. The Spurs are expected to win that game and there will be no need to celebrate big or trash-talk.

The Spurs are not getting HCA over the Lakers. Have you looked at the standings lately?

td4mvp21
01-06-2009, 04:34 PM
You picked up Mason but lost Barry. Barry was huge for you in the playoffs against the Lakers and was a reliable scoring option off the bench. So in reality it's not that big of a deal that you added him. Hill is a rookie, I don't think I need to say anymore. Rookies rarely, if ever, have a serious impact in the playoffs.

The bench is mediocre at best. Too much glut in the backcourt, woefully thin up front. Not going to get it done against the Lakers who can put a 7 footer on the floor at all times.

Summary: My biased opinion. My biased opinion. My biased opinion.

Mason > Barry, in terms of what he's done for the Spurs this season compared to what Barry did for the Spurs last season. I will give you Hill-I'm not expecting him to do much in the PO's other than hold down the fort when TP is getting a breather.

And we have some good quality players coming off the bench. I wouldn't call it mediocre. Inconsistent? Yes. But not mediocre.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Summary: My biased opinion. My biased opinion. My biased opinion.

Mason > Barry, in terms of what he's done for the Spurs this season compared to what Barry did for the Spurs last season. I will give you Hill-I'm not expecting him to do much in the PO's other than hold down the fort when TP is getting a breather.

And we have some good quality players coming off the bench. I wouldn't call it mediocre. Inconsistent? Yes. But not mediocre.

Bonner
Mason
Hill
Thomas
Udoka
Vaughn

This is not a great bench, I'm sorry. Mediocre is putting it nicely.

xtremesteven33
01-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Bonner
Mason
Hill
Thomas
Udoka
Vaughn

Hill
Ginobili
Bowen
Thomas
Mahimni

equal to the Lakers bench.

DAF86
01-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Hill
Ginobili
Bowen
Thomas
Mahimni

A lot better than the Lakers bench.

BlackBellamy
01-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Bonner
Mason
Hill
Thomas
Udoka
Vaughn

Best NBA bench production 08/09 so far...
1.Dallas 37.4 ppg (Jason Terry)
2.Washington 37.2 ppg (starters suck)
3.Portland 36.2 ppg (crazy depth)
4.Bucks 35 ppg (Villanueva & Sessions)
5.Spurs 34.8 ppg (Manu & lots of roll players)

Ok, first just take Vaughn out of there, how many minutes has he seen this year? You're missing Ginobili and either Bonner or Oberto and they make that bench look a lot more decent. I see quite a bit of size, but light on the talent on your bench. So people in glass 'houses'...

IronMexican
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I usually try to stay out of SA vs LA threads, cause it can get ugly. But, if you believe SA's bench is as good if not better than LA's, you are looking at things a bit bias. SA might be just as good as LA as far as the starting 5, but LA has a better bench. All it takes is to get hot in May and none of that matters.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Wow so based on Spurs fans expert opinions not only is their bench better than the Laker's bench, their Big 3 are so dominant nobody in the NBA is capable of guarding them.

I mean that 23-11 record must be a joke. Just random lucky teams hitting some fluke shots. Shit you guys are a riot, lay off the Kool-Aid.

BlackBellamy
01-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Wow so based on Spurs fans expert opinions not only is their bench better than the Laker's bench, their Big 3 are so dominant nobody in the NBA is capable of guarding them.

I mean that 23-11 record must be a joke. Just random lucky teams hitting some fluke shots. Shit you guys are a riot, lay off the Kool-Aid.

See the above numbers I posted for 08/09 bench play.
Thank you, come again.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I like how you conveniently left out the Lakers bench stats.

And stats do not tell the whole story anyways. Anyone with eyes and a brain can see the Lakers have one of the best benches in the NBA period.

I'll take Farmar, Vujacic, Odom, and Ariza over Hill, Mason, Thomas, Bonner, and Udoka. I'm pretty sure 99% of fans here would too.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
All of this back and forth is meaningless.

The Spurs are not on the Laker's level yet, remains to be seen if they can get there by the playoffs.

IronMexican
01-06-2009, 05:48 PM
House you are wasting you're time. It's like going to LG and arguing Jordan is better than Kobe.

BlackBellamy
01-06-2009, 05:50 PM
I like how you conveniently left out the Lakers bench stats.

And stats do not tell the whole story anyways. Anyone with eyes and a brain can see the Lakers have one of the best benches in the NBA period.

I'll take Farmar, Vujacic, Odom, and Ariza over Hill, Mason, Thomas, Bonner, and Udoka. I'm pretty sure 99% of fans here would too.

I like how YOU conveniently left out Manu.
Those are the ppg of the top 5 scoring benches in the NBA 08/09. If you can find the Lakers' bench numbers then post 'em.

nkdlunch
01-06-2009, 05:53 PM
All of this back and forth is meaningless.

The Spurs are not on the Laker's level yet, remains to be seen if they can get there by the playoffs.

don't be an idiot.

It's a fact that Spurs are much, much deeper now. They have GHill instead of Vaughn, Roger Mason is a motherfuckin beast and even Bonner improved.

It's a fact that Manu is not playin on 1 leg anymore like last year.

Its also a fact that Andre Bydumb is NOT the next coming of Wilt Chamberlain, so you are not better, you are actually worse than last year.

I am not saying Spurs would beat Lakers in 7 game series right now, but at least now it would definitely be a series going at least 6 or 7 games and going either way.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I like how YOU conveniently left out Manu.
Those are the ppg of the top 5 scoring benches in the NBA 08/09. If you can find the Lakers' bench numbers then post 'em.

Manu starts. At least he has in the games I've seen.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Besides Manu is part of your Big 3. He doesn't count as a reserve IMHO because he will always be in there to close games out.

BlackBellamy
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Very rarely, I'm not too sure which games this season you'd be referring to. He is Q.B. to our bench, you know that.

cheguevara
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
don't be an idiot.

It's a fact that Spurs are much, much deeper now. They have GHill instead of Vaughn, Roger Mason is a motherfuckin beast and even Bonner improved.

It's a fact that Manu is not playin on 1 leg anymore like last year.

Its also a fact that Andre Bydumb is NOT the next coming of Wilt Chamberlain, so you are not better, you are actually worse than last year.

I am not saying Spurs would beat Lakers in 7 game series right now, but at least now it would definitely be a series going at least 6 or 7 games and going either way.

I agree, now it would be a series. no doubt

BlackBellamy
01-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Besides Manu is part of your Big 3. He doesn't count as a reserve IMHO because he will always be in there to close games out.

He comes off the bench and his production counts towards bench stats. Everybody knows that he's a bench player by name alone, but it still doesn't change where he sits at the start of the game. He certainly runs our second team's offense.

hater
01-06-2009, 06:05 PM

for being DrHouse u ain't too bright.

Manu comes from the bench and goes in vs. the opponent's bench. Yes he also closes games too, so what? Jackson also leaves whoever bench player is doing good at end of games.

td4mvp21
01-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Bonner
Mason
Hill
Thomas
Udoka
Vaughn

You don't watch many Spurs games so who are you to come in here and tell us what our team is like?

Ginobili has started 4 games out of the 22 games he's played so apparently you do not watch much Spurs games.

Anyway, the bench isn't mediocre. Like I said, the problem is consistency. Big difference. We have some talented bench players/role players, but the problem is they are not consistent with production. I am concerned how they will do against the Lakers, Celtics, Cavs, etc. because those are the top tier teams in the league. But with almost all other teams I'm confident in their abilities.

Duh. Anyone who tells you otherwise isn't being logical or reasonable. And our bench is definitely not better the Lakers' bench.

Allanon
01-06-2009, 06:11 PM
B.Spurs vs Lakers in the playoffs this year would be a WAR.

A. If the Spurs can land a veteran Big this year i say that puts us over the top.

A first, then B....cause and effect, not the other way around :D :tu

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 06:16 PM
A first, then B....cause and effect, not the other way around :D :tu

LOL! Everyone and their grand mamas wants to see a Spurs/Lakers WCF.

BlackBellamy
01-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Duh. Anyone who tells you otherwise isn't being logical or reasonable. And our bench is definitely not better the Lakers' bench.

I am not discounting the Lakers bench, I was simply objecting to a statement that House made calling our bench basically 'less than mediocre'. We have a fine bench that maintains very well (I s'pose more geared offensively), outside of being streaky.

td4mvp21
01-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I am not discounting the Lakers bench, I was simply objecting to a statement that House made calling our bench basically 'less than mediocre'. We have a fine bench that maintains very well, outside of being streaky.

I just read somewhere that someone said our bench was better/equal to the Lakers'. I'm not sure who it was. But yeah, we do have a good bench this year they are just streaky. That needs to be fixed.

Brazil
01-06-2009, 06:19 PM

Well at least the lakers and spurs fans want to see their team on WCF not sure about the hornets fans for instance.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Well at least the lakers and spurs fans want to see their team on WCF not sure about the hornets fans for instance.

Even if you are a fan of another team, you still like basketball (for the most part). Everyone loves an entertaining series, and Spurs/Lakeshow does not disappoint.

Allanon
01-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Amen!

Spurs probably have the best chance of knocking out the Lakers of any Western Team. I thought it was Houston but they look like a mess right now. Hornets are still too small with no bench, no way they can take out the Lakers.

Even Maverick fans will be rooting for the Spurs to beat the Lakers (if the Spurs can get past the Mavs...their worst matchup) :D

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 06:23 PM
The Spurs will have to make it to the WCF 1st. If they face the Hornets in the 2nd round I'm not so sure they can get there.

BlackBellamy
01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
The Spurs will have to make it to the WCF 1st. If they face the Hornets in the 2nd round I'm not so sure they can get there.
hate hate hate hate hate.

Allanon
01-06-2009, 06:30 PM

Houston, Jazz and Blazers matchup the best with the Lakers (on paper). We know Rockets and Jazz are struggling so the Lakers get a break there.

I think Hornets, like you said, Mavs, Nuggets, Suns matchup well with the Spurs.

lefty
01-06-2009, 06:33 PM
This thread should be the Official Game Blog on January 14

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 06:34 PM

So a team that is ahead of them in the division, the conference and beat them last year in the playoffs makes you question them? You really do just hate don't you.

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Ahead of by like 1-2 games. Don't act as if the Spurs have some big lead at the #2 spot, they drop 2-5 games and they could be out of the playoffs entirely.

And the Hornets beat you already this year.

Lakers_55
01-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Geez, I can't believe I read this whole thread. If the Lakers and Spurs meet in the WCF no point in making new threads, it's all been said in here. Topic is about January 14. It will be a fun game to watch and it eliminates no one.

Laker fans, lighten up a bit. Let the team do the talking. Kobe can and will win without Shaq. The only question is when. Spurs are not out of it. If you don't shove the Lakers down the Spurs fans' throats, you will see they are pretty cool people and easy to get along with. And if they beat us in the WCF, cheer them on in the finals. No matter who gets in, the west will beat the east this season.

/thread

Brazil
01-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Geez, I can't believe I read this whole thread. If the Lakers and Spurs meet in the WCF no point in making new threads, it's all been said in here. Topic is about January 14. It will be a fun game to watch and it eliminates no one.

Laker fans, lighten up a bit. Let the team do the talking. Kobe can and will win without Shaq. The only question is when. Spurs are not out of it. If you don't shove the Lakers down the Spurs fans' throats, you will see they are pretty cool people and easy to get along with. And if they beat us in the WCF, cheer them on in the finals. No matter who gets in, the west will beat the east this season.

/thread

Lakers 55 is a wise wise man

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Ahead of by like 1-2 games. Don't act as if the Spurs have some big lead at the #2 spot, they drop 2-5 games and they could be out of the playoffs entirely.

And the Hornets beat you already this year.

We beat the Hornets in the damn playoffs last year. Our team got better. How can you penalize a team for being ahead of a team they beat last year when it mattered this year in the standings? Who cares if they beat us this year, we choked it off and they beat us twice last year in the regular season.

The Lakers are only 5 games ahead of the Spurs and we play you 3 times.

td4mvp21
01-06-2009, 06:58 PM

/thread

Wow good post.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Ive always pulled for the Spurs when they beat us... they have a clean cut team... sometimes, but fuck their fans. These bastards become fans of other teams whenever the Lakers beat them.

Lakers become fans of the Lakers only when they are winning. Worst fans in the NBA (in general, not all of them of course).

It is a f'ng rivalry. I respect the hell out of the Lakers, but I will never root for them.

td4mvp21
01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Ive always pulled for the Spurs when they beat us... they have a clean cut team... sometimes, but fuck their fans. These bastards become fans of other teams whenever the Lakers beat them.

:lol I know a lot of Lakers fans who cheered against us when we beat you guys.

xtremesteven33
01-06-2009, 07:02 PM
That will be 5 losses.. book it.

SHUDAHO

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Who the fuck are you calling bandwagon fans? 90% of the Spurs fanbase didn't even exist prior to 1999. I'd bet a large majority of you couldn't name 10 players from your 80's rosters.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Who the fuck are you calling bandwagon fans? 90% of the Spurs fanbase didn't even exist prior to 1999. I'd bet a large majority of you couldn't name 10 players from your 80's rosters.

Lakers fans = Bandwagon hollywood d-bags. I would take that bet, largely because 90% of the fans have the fucking internet.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Notice how I did not say all Laker fans, just many.

phxspurfan
01-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Setting recorder now...

Lakers_55
01-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Holy shit Laker fans, calm down. It's not so much what you say it's how you say it. I could probably state some of the points Laker fans have made in here and in a tactful way and no Spurs fan would retaliate. I used to go to the AOL Laker board. Back in summer of 2003, every other post was "Kobe is a rapist!" Just try to find a good read over there. All that place came down to was talking smack with the smackers so I bailed. That place would suit you folks fine. Here, if you guys continue to act as you do, a time will come when you do have a great point to make, no Spurs fan will acknowledge you.

I have found this board is not as "Spurs are invincible" as you might think. I made a thread comparing the success of the Bulls to the Spurs and most Spurs fans picked Chicago. Anyway, if they don't think their own team's success is ahead of Chicago, how can we expect them to agree when you guys claim we are the best and will beat them? I don't belong to any of the big Laker message boards, just the small msn.com and I rarely post. I am sure LakerGround has plenty of Celtic trolls for example. I'll bet the true Laker fans hate seeing those idiots, but will embrace a good Celtic fan. Same thing goes here at SpursTalk. Note the forum name, it isn't LakersTalk, or NBATalk. It's SpursTalk

I can't change you guys, but I can put you on ignore. So can anyone else. I give up trying to get you guys to be better members. Don't take my ramblings personally. Be professional like our team is. Or do you want to be like a Garnett or a Marbury?

/rant

IronMexican
01-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Matter of moments before this place went off.

Yorae
01-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Wow I wish every Lakers Fan is Like Lakers 55. :toast

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Lakers_55 we're all just fucking around. That's the beauty of SpursTalk.

The lack of profanity filters sometimes makes it seem like we're more at heads than we really are. Truth be told the only team that CAN challenge the Lakers in the WC is the Spurs......they NEED another piece or two to win a 7-gamer but should they acquire what they are missing they can certainly compete.

nkdlunch
01-06-2009, 08:42 PM
:lmao at lakaluva getting emotional

BlackBellamy
01-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Where are these stats taken from? 90%, eh? How could we have kept this team going in such a small market without having extremely devoted fans? I'd say the fervor in which the fans on this board respond towards the issues being raised in this thread might prove us to be a devoted (if not fanatical) fan base. Keep in mind Lakers fans that not every one of us is trashing your team/city/fans. We obviously have a difference in opinion as to who is the most elite, but that should not totally negate the chance for pleasant discourse (this certainly goes for Spurs fans as well). I really love that so many teams are represented on this board. I totally appreciate (entertain) some of the (even Spur critical) issues that a few of the Lakers fans have brought up, and whole heartedly disagree with most. Still I choke back the hostile thoughts and try to rep. my team as best I can. Maybe something trite like 'kill 'em with kindness' (both sides) might work here. No matter what let us bring it down a notch, huh?

Lakers_55
01-06-2009, 08:52 PM

The lack of profanity filters sometimes makes it seem like we're more at heads than we really are. Truth be told the only team that CAN challenge the Lakers in the WC is the Spurs......they NEED another piece or two to win a 7-gamer but should they acquire what they are missing they can certainly compete.

Ok, but why fuck around? Internet bullying is for kids.

Back on topic....

Both teams will want to win, but only one can. The best result from a basketball fan point of view is the Spurs step up and bring their A game as the OP pointed out, and I will add this: the Lakers match that intensity. Win or lose, either team will be proud. The final two regular season chapters follow, and a potential WCF encounter. Friggin season series and the playoffs havn't even started yet, lol, clam down everyone.

BlackBellamy
01-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Where the hell is Smelly Feet? Love that guy!

Yorae
01-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Nice name too!!!

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Everyone respects the Lakers, but no Spur fan really roots for them. There are plenty of Laker fans here that people love.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 09:05 PM
I am just saying that I think if you were to ask the Lakers who they would least like to face in the PO, they would say the Spurs. Spurs can beat the Lakers (if they are healthy), but their margin for error is slim.

As I said, it will be our back court vs their front court, but each team has a superstar in their weakest spot (Duncan up front, Kobe in the back court).

z0sa
01-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Read all the posts on page 1 and 2 until your "arrogant spurs fans" post on Page 2 and you'll see why you're an asshole. if anything, Spurfan gives the Lakers too much credit, but you couldn't help but provoke people despite the non-bashing we were doing.

Lakers_55
01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I am just saying that I think if you were to ask the Lakers who they would least like to face in the PO, they would say the Spurs. Spurs can beat the Lakers (if they are healthy), but their margin for error is slim.

As I said, it will be our back court vs their front court, but each team has a superstar in their weakest spot (Duncan up front, Kobe in the back court).

I'll welcome a Spurs match in the postseason, just as I would prefer to play the Celtics if we get to the finals. It's destiny that Lakers play Spurs in WCF and Celtics play the winner. We are the only two western teams that can send them back into oblivion. Now the Celtics are the team with the bandwagon fans. Over half their fans weren't even born when they won in 1986. You can't tell me many people under age 30 supported them through all those dismal years. That isn't smack, that's logic.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 09:31 PM
I'll welcome a Spurs match in the postseason, just as I would prefer to play the Celtics if we get to the finals. It's destiny that Lakers play Spurs in WCF and Celtics play the winner. We are the only two teams that can send them back into oblivion. Now the Celtics are the team with the bandwagon fans. Over half their fans weren't even born when they won in 1986. You can't tell me many people under age 30 supported them through all those dismal years. That isn't smack, that's logic.

I agree that the Celtics have bandwagon fans. But just because you are born late does not mean you are not a true fan. You can fall in love with a team from any era, do penalize me bc I was in the womb!

Yorae
01-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah, we're like orcs and humans fighting not knowing that the burning legion is about to descend upon us....ok no.

Allanon
Wow I wish every Lakers Fan is Like Lakers 55. :toast

Lakers 55 is too level headed and boring...good for stopping a fight but bad for building a rivalry between trash-talking fans.

Lakers_55
I agree that the Celtics have bandwagon fans. But just because you are born late does not mean you are not a true fan. You can fall in love with a team from any era, do penalize me bc I was in the womb!

You may be young, but as long as you have been alive, the Spurs have been contending. Can't say that about the Celtics.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
You may be young, but as long as you have been alive, the Spurs have been contending. Can't say that about the Celtics.

True, I guess we will see true Spur fans from my gen, when Duncan retires, I had a no gap between the Admiral and Duncan. Although I did do research about the Spurs and watch some old clips. Spurs have always been pretty good, even in the ABA days.

DPG21920
01-06-2009, 09:37 PM
We will see how level everyone is come playoff time! I usually am unbiased and level headed about the Spurs. I give other teams their due.

timvp
01-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm not too excited about the upcoming Lakers game. Usually when there is a big Spurs vs. Lakers game in the regular season, if the Spurs lose they go on a tailspin that lasts a couple of weeks. With the hard schedule coming up, the last thing the Spurs need is to lose to the Lakers, get demoralized and fall down the standings.

And right now, the Lakers are the better team. Hopefully the Spurs can close the gap before the playoffs begin but the Lakers are a few steps ahead currently.

That said, a win would be a different story ....... :smokin

lefty
01-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Spurs and Lakers, let's share some Celtics fun

By the way, Bobcats beat Celtics :lmao

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/7258/snapshot20090106184758nh3.png

Yorae
01-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Way to go DJ!!!

MarHill
01-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm not too excited about the upcoming Lakers game. Usually when there is a big Spurs vs. Lakers game in the regular season, if the Spurs lose they go on a tailspin that lasts a couple of weeks. With the hard schedule coming up, the last thing the Spurs need is to lose to the Lakers, get demoralized and fall down the standings.

And right now, the Lakers are the better team. Hopefully the Spurs can close the gap before the playoffs begin but the Lakers are a few steps ahead currently.

That said, a win would be a different story ....... :smokin

Then they will have two days of rest after the Orlando game before they play the Lakers. So they should be rested and ready to go.

I believe Spurs will be ready for the challenge. They won't admit it publicly...but I bet they are looking forward to this game.

Yorae
01-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Nawlins leading LA. 1:32 to go 111-102.

2Cleva
01-08-2009, 03:46 PM
The Celtics grimaced and took it like the professionals they are, giving the Lakers credit.

Well, all but one Laker.

The exception was Andrew Bynum, who missed last spring's series, whose modest line -- nine points, seven rebounds, two blocks -- doesn't measure his impact.

Nor were the Celtics about to acknowledge it.

Does Bynum make a difference, Kevin Garnett was asked.

"No," Garnett said.

Compared with last season's team?

"No."

It's not a shock to run into another 7-footer?

"It's not a shock because our defensive assignments are made if it was Chris Mihm, if it was Andrew Bynum, if it was Pau at the five and Lamar at the four," Garnett said. "Our defensive assignments don't change no matter who's there. . . .

"Hell, it could be Shaq. Our defensive assignments are what they are."

I had to come back to this one. As for the point that Bynum didn't effect Boston - the coach doesn't agree with KG.

The Celtics' lack of size was exploited last week in Portland, where Blazers 7-footers Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla went over the top of the 6-9 Leon Powe and 6-8 Glen (Big Baby) Davis to score down low and plunder the offensive boards. At the other end, the Celtics have been misfiring against taller defenders dating to the loss to the Lakers and their long front line of Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol.

"I thought Bynum's length affected us,'' Rivers said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/01/08/celtics.struggles/index.html?eref=T1

DPG21920
01-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Well, if it came down to it, who will people listen to and choose to follow? KG or Doc?

ManuTP9
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
im going to bump this thread when its the 14th, i still cant wait for this game XD

DPG21920
01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
New Orleans coach Byron Scott sees a lot of good things in this year's Lakers team. But he's not prepared to line them up with the Showtime Era Lakers teams Scott played on back in the late 1980s. "They're not close," he said quickly, before the reporter could even finish asking his question. "They're not close. They've got a swagger, but their swagger is nowhere close to ours. "We just followed right behind Earvin (Magic Johnson), so everybody had to swagger ... "I just remember from the day I got here in Los Angeles, playing with Magic and (Michael) Cooper, they had that swagger. They expected to win championships, that was the bottom line. "My wife used to tell me that she would stand right by the tunnel and watch us come out. I never saw her. ... It's just like the Raiders back in the day. They used to get off the bus with the all-black on, they just tried to intimidate people. "We just wanted to let you know that we were coming and we meant business all night long." And these Lakers? "I see it from a couple of guys," Scott said. "Kobe and Derek Fisher. They've won championships, they have that swagger." Then he stopped, letting the silence complete his thought.

Los Angeles Daily News

xtremesteven33
01-09-2009, 05:56 PM
A video to get some hype for January 14....

mqTyqXiZLJg

Yorae
01-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Do we have swagger? We're just humble, under the radar guys right? What's swagger anyway?:blah

ManuTP9
01-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Do we have swagger? We're just humble, under the radar guys right? What's swagger anyway?:blah

not sure :lol

urunobili
01-09-2009, 08:37 PM
A video to get some hype for January 14....

mqTyqXiZLJg

:worthy:

koriwhat
01-09-2009, 08:47 PM
i can't wait to be there cheering on my spurs from inside the at&t center. FUCK THE LAKERS! LA SUCKS!

ManuTP9
01-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Game is tommorow! a pissed off spurs and a pissed of Tim Duncan means an aggressive Spurs team. on ESPN tommorow

DPG21920
01-13-2009, 11:07 PM
I am going to the game, whooooooooooo

ManuTP9
01-13-2009, 11:08 PM

nice man! make sure to take pics if you can.

BlackSwordsMan
01-13-2009, 11:11 PM
spurs against teams over .500....

lefty
01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Excited ?????????????

2nd game of a back-to-back nights, on the road.

Meaningless game...........

ManuTP9
01-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Excited ?????????????

:lol im just happy we finally get to face the Lakers this season.

underdawg
01-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Excited ?????????????

only meaningless if LA doesn't show up - if they do, however, the Spurs get to see how this roster can play against their toughest opponent thus far. Pop will never show his hand during the regular season, but I seriously doubt that he looks at this game as a meaningless one.

Manufan909
01-14-2009, 12:56 AM

Lucky bastard.:(

tonylongoriafan
01-14-2009, 09:48 AM
jan 14 2009...just another meaningless january game

z0sa
01-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Is it allowed we still be excited despite its meaninglessness?

Rogue
01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm pretty confident for spurs' win over the lakers, after watching their game against rockets last night. The rockets could have won that game but alston missed both of the two fts that could have helped them tie the game.

The spurs are gonna beat the lakers if they continue to suck tonight.

WayOutWest
01-14-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm pretty confident for spurs' win over the lakers, after watching their game against rockets last night. The rockets could have won that game but alston missed both of the two fts that could have helped them tie the game.

The spurs are gonna beat the lakers if they continue to suck tonight.

Other than Gasol the Lakers played pretty well last night so I think the Spurs are going to spank the Lakers. IMO the game will be over in the 3rd, the Lakers defense is out the window right now and the big push they get from their bench is gone with all the injuries.

Allanon
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
jan 14 2009...just another meaningless january game

If the Spurs had just won 1 more "meaningless" January game last year, they would have had HCA in the WC Finals against the Lakers.

If the Spurs lose, they will drop from #2 down to #5 in the standings.

If the Spurs lose, the Lakers would only need 1 more win to clinch the season series tiebreaker (if that comes into effect).

The Lakers are 6.5 games ahead of the Spurs right now, and even I don't think this is a meaningless game.

There are no meaningless games in the West unless you don't care about HCA.

ManuTP9
01-14-2009, 03:50 PM
its time! game comes on tonight on ESPN GO Spurs GO!

Manu-of-steel
01-15-2009, 12:33 AM
mason really stepped up on this game, and he hit the game-winning shot. big win for the spurs.

DPG21920
01-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Thank you God for allowing me to go to this game with my Laker fan of a brother.