PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Sixers Jan. 4

timvp
01-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Although it obviously wasn’t Spurs Basketball, the San Antonio Spurs were able to come out victorious on Saturday night against the Philadelphia 76ers. After leading 40-19 after the first quarter, the Spurs did just enough to hold on to win by a final score of 108-106.

With the game tied at 106 with about ten seconds to go in the fourth, Manu Ginobili got his hand on an Andre Miller pass and Tony Parker scooped it up. On the other end, Parker drove the land and fed Ginobili for a three-pointer that he missed. Thankfully, Parker grabbed the rebound and connected on an improbable buzzer beating fadeaway jumper from the baseline.

For the Sixers, Miller played extremely well. He sliced and diced San Antonio’s defense and finished 12-for-14 from the field. Andre Iguodala and Thaddeus Young were both impressive with how they used their athleticism to score at the rim. Although the Sixers were without Elton Brand due to injury, they might be a more difficult matchup for the Spurs without him.

Overall, the Spurs can’t be too happy with this win. The defense in the final three quarters was really bad. The offense after the first quarter wasn’t too impressive either. The Spurs will take the win but if they play like that against a quality team, they will get run out of the building.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
34 minutes, 26 points, 12 rebounds, three assists
11-for-15 from the field, 4-for-8 at the line

Offensively, Tim Duncan was really good – especially in the first three-quarters. Going into the fourth, he was 10-for-11 from the field and was scoring in a variety of ways. In the final stanza, Theo Ratliff played him well and forced Duncan into tougher looks. On defense, Duncan wasn’t nearly as impressive. In fact, his defense over the last three quarters was extremely underwhelming. He wasn’t defending the pick-and-roll well and his help defense at the rim was missing in action. This was the second straight home game that Duncan has struggled defensively. If he doesn’t pick it up on that end of the court, the Spurs won’t be able to field more than a mediocre defense.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
29 minutes, 21 points, three rebounds, two assists, three steals
8-for-13 from the field, 2-for-5 on three-pointers, 3-for-4 at the line

Manu Ginobili had a good showing. He only needed 13 shot attempts to score his 21 points and he also came up with the game-winning steal. Ginobili seems to be driving to the basket better and he’s not having as much trouble stopping when he’s going full speed. Over the last week, he has really picked up his defensive intensity. Ginobili is averaging 2.6 steals in his last five games and for the season he has a career-best rebound rate.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
38 minutes, 15 points, ten assists, three rebounds, four rebounds
7-for-17 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Tony Parker’s buzzer beating definitely had high marks for degree of difficulty. He also had another jumper with two minutes remaining that put the Spurs up by two. However, Parker didn’t play overly well on the whole. After a masterful first quarter in which he had five points and six assists, Parker seemed to take his foot of the pedal. For the Spurs to have kept their big lead early in the game, they needed a more consistent outing from Parker. And while his defense wasn’t solely responsible for Miller’s big game, he didn’t do much to curtail Miller. All in all, it was a very good start, a blah middle and a game-winning end for Parker.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
35 minutes, 14 points, two rebounds
5-for-9 from the field, 4-for-6 on three-pointers

Michael Finley is making Pop look smart for giving him the starting small forward job. On offense, he’s been lighting it up as of late. In his last five games, he’s averaging 12.2 points on 53.3% from the field and 59.1% on three-pointers. Against the Sixers, he was again hitting his shots and he also mixed in a few good defensive possessions. Finley’s defense wasn’t nearly as good as we’ve seen previously but it also wasn’t one of the leading problems on the night.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
32 minutes, 19 points, three assists, two rebounds
6-for-10 from the field, 5-for-5 on three-pointers

Bouncing back from a 1-for-11 performance, Roger Mason, Jr. proved once again why he was such a good offseason addition. He hit all five of his looks from beyond the arc and also made some good plays with the ball to keep the Spurs’ offense flowing. His defense was relatively decent, especially in one-on-one situations. After going through a stretch in which he didn’t play 30 minutes for eight straight games, Mason seems to have regained Pop’s trust. In his last six games, Mason is averaging 30.8 minutes per game.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
28 minutes, nine points, six rebounds, three assists
3-for-8 from the field, 3-for-5 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner seems to be slowly but surely getting out of his slump. Although he still had a sub par rebounding game, his six boards were the most he’s pulled down since he grabbed six boards against the Kings on Dec. 22. His trio of three-pointers were only the second time he’s reached that mark since the Hornets disaster. Against the Sixers, Bonner deserves credit for getting the Spurs off on the right foot. All three of his three-pointers came in the first quarter – with the first two coming in the first minute of the game.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
18 minutes, four points, two steals
2-for-3 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers

Bruce Bowen played decent defense out on the perimeter but had trouble keeping his man out of the paint. That led to him reaching more instead of him moving his feet and trying to turn the Sixers into a jumpshooters. On offense, Bowen continues to make the most out of his opportunities. When coming off the bench, Bowen is shooting 50.9% from the field and 51.6% from beyond the three-point line.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
15 minutes, two rebounds, two assists
0-for-1 from the field

Kurt Thomas continues to be unimpressive after he seemed to have a breakout stretch of games. He didn’t rebound well against Philadelphia and wasn’t doing much in the pick-and-roll defense. Offensively, he did make a few good passes out of the low block. Overall though, Thomas hasn’t done much to prove to Pop lately that he deserves 15-20 minutes per night.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
Six minutes, one assist
0-for-1 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers

George Hill had a passive performance that led to Pop benching him in the second half. Hill seems to be struggling to find his place in the offense, especially when paired with Ginobili. His natural preference is to defer to Ginobili but Hill needs to stay aggressive enough to warrant his playing time. On the season, when Hill is paired with Ginobili he is scoring 12.1 points per 48 minutes. When Hill is on the court without Ginobili, he’s averaging 23.1 points per 48 minutes.

Anthony Tolliver
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4371.jpg
Five minutes, two assists, one rebound
0-for-2 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers

Anthony Tolliver played one of his typical games. Good effort on the boards, very good passing and very bad shooting. Tolliver has an important day coming on Wednesday. That’s the day the Spurs have to decide to either keep him and guarantee the rest of his contract or waive him. The fact that he’s still in the rotation points to the Spurs still trying to figure out what they should do.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

I thought Pop did a decent coaching job. It would have been nice for him to find a way to correct the defensive woes within the game. Perhaps Bowen earlier could have helped. Hill at shooting guard may have evened out the athleticism advantage for the Sixers. But at least Pop limited the minutes for Duncan and Ginobili, which is something he hasn’t always done in tight contests.

Offense

It’s tough to be too upset with the offense. Scoring 108 points should always be enough for the Spurs to win. On the game, they shot 53.2% from the floor, hit 15-of-26 three-pointers and had 27 assists compared to only 12 turnovers. The most glaring negative mark on the night was the free throw shooting. Only 14 attempts against a team without much of an inside presence isn’t nearly enough.

Defense

At times the Spurs defense was so bad that Mike D’Antoni would have blushed. The Spurs couldn’t keep the Sixers out of the paint and when they did get in the paint, the Spurs rarely contested their shot at the rim. As a result, Philadelphia shot a disgustingly high 54.4% from the floor. The Sixers were also able to get 19 assists while turning the ball over only eight times. Also damning for the San Antonio was Philadelphia’s 40-32 advantage on the glass.

Drive to Five

While the Sixers game was definitely not an illustration of championship level basketball, the win improves the Spurs’ record to 22-11. On Monday, the Spurs travel to Miami to take on the Heat. If they play defense like they did against the Sixers, Wilt’s 100 might not be out of reach for Dwyane Wade. Let’s hope they actually show up defensively and get back to Spurs Basketball.

Believe.

mrspurs
01-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Another game this season where luck prevailed over a .500 team. A little luck never hurt anyone.

m33p0
01-05-2009, 06:40 AM
tony saved this forum from another meltdown. you can bet there would have been half a dozen "tony should have passed the ball to mason" threads had the spurs lost.

romain.star
01-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanx for the thoughts timvp...

All the bitching about Tony is getting old.

BTW, good game from Manu. I predict a monster game from him next week

JPB
01-05-2009, 07:31 AM
On the season, when Hill is paired with Ginobili he is scoring 12.1 points per 48 minutes. When Hill is on the court without Ginobili, he’s averaging 23.1 points per 48 minutes.

I think it's in major part due to the games he started when TP and Manu were injured and in which he did really well.

benefactor
01-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Overall, the Spurs can’t be too happy with this win. The defense in the final three quarters was really bad. The offense after the first quarter wasn’t too impressive either. The Spurs will take the win but if they play like that against a quality team, they will get run out of the building.
All of you that keep saying..."We won, shut up and move on," need to take this statement to heart. Hopefully as we get deeper into the season this team will focus and play games for 48 minutes, because the road is going to get substantially rockier.

crc21209
01-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Well guys this was my 1st Spurs game since April of 07' and wow was i treated to a damn good game! The 1st quarter guys was UNREAL! Ive never seen so many 3's in my life lol. Bonner, Mason, Manu, hell even TP got in the act. A couple things I noticed from watching my 1st game live since 07'

1. Mason's release on his shot is CRAZY quick.

2. Tim Duncan has and always will be my favorite player of all time, seriously, he dominated in the first half.

3. Michael Finley has found some sort of fountain of youth lol. His 3's look farther in person than on tv, some were 2-3 feet away from the line lol. He also had a pretty good athletic block on someone.

4. Kurt Thomas is a damn good rebounder and defense player. He has also found some sort of fountain of youth in him. He packed one of the 6er's pretty damn good cant remember who exactly.

5. Manu is starting to slowly look and play more like himself. His drives and attack-mode was more Manu-esque.

6. Tony's shot in person was UNREAL. I thought he would have gotten it blocked by Miller or in person thought he wasnt gonna get the handle of the ball in time to even get up a shot, but as he released it it seemed as if everything was in slow motion, and as soon as the shot went through, EVERYONE jumped up and down in joy in one motion and
were screaming like crazy. Loudest I have ever heard the arena of the 5-6 times I've been at AT&T.
Well just wanted ya'll to know how my night went and how I saw things in person. Peace guys!

Illusionarist
01-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Really nice thread. Keep up the good work.!!!:):):):)

byrontx
01-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the thoughts, TimVP. Doesn't it seem like the Spurs are playing with a bit more passion this year? About this time of year I am generally going nuts because the Spurs start playing like they don't give a damn- it's just a regular season game. Then they go on the rodeo trip and catch fire. This year it seems like they want to win. When things jell during the trip they are going to be in championship form.

I Love Me Some Me
01-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Quietly, Finley is putting together a really nice season so far. With the exception of a couple of games here and there, he's been shooting consistently, and defending as well as he can.

polandprzem
01-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't know if Pop should try to play Hill at SG when Gino is on the bench? We still can use manu and Roger backing up PG position when Parker is drinking gatorade on the bench.

btw. I think Spur will try to double team Wade more then in previous years.
Good strategy considerating Miami got no power inside.

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2009, 09:34 AM
i still feel something is missing from this team......

that something to put us over the edge....

Brazil
01-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Finley is really a good surprise for me, I didn't expect that kind of performances in particular on Defense he is defending pretty well. If Manu keeps on improving our back court will be impressive. Have we mentioned somewhere that the last piece of the puzzle is a big to help tim ?

Bruno
01-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Hill seems to be struggling to find his place in the offense, especially when paired with Ginobili. His natural preference is to defer to Ginobili but Hill needs to stay aggressive enough to warrant his playing time. On the season, when Hill is paired with Ginobili he is scoring 12.1 points per 48 minutes. When Hill is on the court without Ginobili, he’s averaging 23.1 points per 48 minutes.

And when Ginobili is paired with Hill, he scores 30.7 points per 40 minutes.
In other words, when paired with Hill, Manu is a better scorer than Kobe or Lebron. :wow
And the scariest part is that Manu isn't at 100% for the moment and is scoring all these points very efficiently with a really high FG% and tons of FTs drawn.

I'm sure that Hill could/should be more aggressive but it's not easy when you are paired with someone playing at that kind of level.

mathbzh
01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
In other words, when paired with Hill, Manu is a better scorer than Kobe or Lebron. :wow

Not exactly, Kobe and Lebron score 36 per 48 (Wade 37)

gingerwave
01-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Another game this season where luck prevailed over a .500 team. A little luck never hurt anyone.

sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. but the Spurs are good too. :flag:

Bruno
01-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Not exactly, Kobe and Lebron score 36 per 48 (Wade 37)

My bad, the stats I've given were per 40 min. But Manu when paired with Hill does score better than Lebron and Kobe.

mathbzh
01-05-2009, 10:37 AM
My bad, the stats I've given were per 40 min. But Manu when paired with Hill does score better than Lebron and Kobe.

Really?
That's great

Just one question, where do you find these stats?

Bruno
01-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Just one question, where do you find these stats?

http://www.82games.com/0809/ppairs0809.htm

DannyT
01-05-2009, 11:35 AM
38 minutes, 15 points, ten assists, three rebounds, four rebounds

LJ which is it or did he have 34 boards?

good read dude thanks....

and to the dude that went to the game thanks for your insiders point...sounded pretty dope.

The Truth #6
01-05-2009, 11:57 AM
That's a good observation about Manu and Hill. Manu is super aggressive when placed with Hill. He dominates the ball, and it makes sense considering how well he is doing. I think it's up to Hill to find a way to be in a position to score when playing with Manu. Cut to the basket or something and hopefully Manu will find him. It's odd because Hill is supposed to be the point guard but in reality Manu is playing the Parker role when he's out there and Hill lets himself become an observer.

Perhaps Pop needs to play Tim and Hill together for a few moments without Tony or Manu to see if Hill can get into his own rhythm. I realize that sounds counter-productive in the short run but Hill's game is going consistently south and we need to find a way to jump start him, at least offensively. His defense has still been good on more than a few occasions so that's not the same concern.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2009, 12:19 PM
George Hill had a passive performance that led to Pop benching him in the second half. Hill seems to be struggling to find his place in the offense, especially when paired with Ginobili. His natural preference is to defer to Ginobili but Hill needs to stay aggressive enough to warrant his playing time. On the season, when Hill is paired with Ginobili he is scoring 12.1 points per 48 minutes. When Hill is on the court without Ginobili, he’s averaging 23.1 points per 48 minutes.

Interesting. It seems that our newer role players seem to be struggling more in how to play with Manu and Parker than in just playing the game itself. Are they deferring to Manu and Parker out of respect? Are they intimidated by those guys? Are Parker and Manu not trusting or looking to get the new guys involved?

Hill's struggles are obvious, but I know Mason has struggled as well (although he appears to be finding his spots now). Finley's game has actually improved since the return of the big 2. It's an interesting dynamic going on with the team this season.

mrspurs
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. but the Spurs are good too. :flag:

Couldnt agree with ya more.

Solid D
01-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Good perspective on what happened versus the 76ers, timvp.

Gino and Hill work well together for 2 reasons. One, they are great at trapping the ball and working steals. Secondly, Gino gets more touches with Hill than with TP. TP tends to over-dribble but makes up for it with his scoring. When the Spurs are running their screen/roll offense with the ball in Parker's hands, Manu has not been a good fit so far as the off-guard unless he is knocking down his threes. Mason and Fin have been a much better option for TP to dish to.

The combo of Hill and Ginobili is good but it could be so much better if Hill would remember how to finish at the rim and get some confidence in taking open shots when he has them.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Interesting. It seems that our newer role players seem to be struggling more in how to play with Manu and Parker than in just playing the game itself. Are they deferring to Manu and Parker out of respect? Are they intimidated by those guys? Are Parker and Manu not trusting or looking to get the new guys involved?

Hill's struggles are obvious, but I know Mason has struggled as well (although he appears to be finding his spots now). Finley's game has actually improved since the return of the big 2. It's an interesting dynamic going on with the team this season.

I'm a little concerned with Hill. If the Spurs want to win a championship they need all the help offensively they can get (and judging by their defensive FG %, their defense isn't anything to write home about either)

I understand he's just a rookie, but I really miss his aggressiveness when it came to driving to the basket. The dude is quick and long and he should have no problems getting free throws out of his attacks to the rim at the very least.

Maybe he needs to play more shooting guard, because at point guard sometimes it feels like he just plays so as not to make mistakes as oppose to playing to make an impact (at least on offense anyway)

timvp
01-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Doesn't it seem like the Spurs are playing with a bit more passion this year? About this time of year I am generally going nuts because the Spurs start playing like they don't give a damn- it's just a regular season game. That's pretty true. I think a lot of it has to do with all the injuries. That has forced the Spurs to play at a higher level earlier in the season to make sure they don't slide down the standings.

Hopefully they don't get to the point where they get comfortable and go on their annual streak of underperforming in the winter months . . .

Quietly, Finley is putting together a really nice season so far. With the exception of a couple of games here and there, he's been shooting consistently, and defending as well as he can.Well said. I was skeptical of signing Finley but it's paying off so far this season.

That said, I still don't like the idea of the Spurs relying on him come playoff time. He's been far too off and on in the postseason while with the Spurs to bank on consistent production from him.

Honestly, I'd like to see Mason, Bowen and Hill take some of his minutes to get Finley's minutes to around 25. Recently, Finley is playing about 35 minutes per game and I don't think that's good for the Spurs or Finley . . .

btw. I think Spur will try to double team Wade more then in previous years.
Good strategy considerating Miami got no power inside.Pop has used a lot of blitzing lately so you could be right. Bogut made them pay but you're right in that Miami doesn't have a similar player.

polandprzem
01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Well yea, we used to have Bowen, so we were able to concentrate on other aspects of defense that aiming attention on one player only.

Now it's different when Bowen is step slower and is playing less minutes.

Ahh, how great is to watch games from 2005? :)

T Park
01-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I think for Finley's sake and the Spurs limiting his minutes to 25 would be a great idea.

A fresh Michael Finley usually more often than not, proves to be a damn valuable one.

He has suprised me as well with his good play. Have to give FInley credit for getting a nice sized contract, and then going out and getting into fantastic shape and getting on a good diet as well.

T Park
01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Well yea, we used to have Bowen, so we were able to concentrate on other aspects of defense that aiming attention on one player only.

Now it's different when Bowen is step slower and is playing less minutes.

Ahh, how great is to watch games from 2005? :)

I disagree, Bowen is not a step slower, Roger Mason while not the defender, has brought solid D but brings a huge playmaking ability and I think thats where Bowen's minutes have gone.

I mean so far, Mason has proved to be a good defending Brent Barry.

If you think about it, thats a pretty damn good ball player.

timvp
01-05-2009, 07:08 PM
In other words, when paired with Hill, Manu is a better scorer than Kobe or Lebron. :wowYeah, when Ginobili is paired with Hill, it turns into The Ginobili Show. He scores at a great clip but he also turns the ball over a lot and gets less assists than usual. I think if Hill can demand more respect from the defense, Ginobili could still score a lot but the entire burden of the offense wouldn't have to be on him.

The good news is that Ginobili has never scored this well when paired with a backup point guard so Hill must be doing something right. Hill does a good job of making sure Ginobili gets the ball ... now he has to start looking at the rim, too.

I think it's up to Hill to find a way to be in a position to score when playing with Manu. Cut to the basket or something and hopefully Manu will find him. It's odd because Hill is supposed to be the point guard but in reality Manu is playing the Parker role when he's out there and Hill lets himself become an observer. Good observations. I agree that it's up to Hill to figure out how to help out offensively even when Ginobili is on the court. He needs to do more than just pass it to Ginobili and run to the corner. He needs to at least share the point guard responsibilities instead of relinquishing totally.

Hill's struggles are obvious, but I know Mason has struggled as well (although he appears to be finding his spots now).Good point about Mason. His scoring is down when playing with Parker or Ginobili (although he shots well with Parker on the court). Part of that is just because he's going to get less shots but I do think Mason and Hill are deferring a bit too much.

And really, it's not a bad thing at this point of the season. I'd rather those two defer too much rather than take the ball out of TP and Manu's hands too much.

When Pop talks about this issue, he says they are deferring out of respect -- which I agree with. Now both Mason and Hill need to build back up their aggression levels because the Spurs do still need difference makers outside of the Big Three.

Gino and Hill work well together for 2 reasons. One, they are great at trapping the ball and working steals.Yeah, defensively they go together well. They both like to drift off their man and either dig on the bigman or try to get in the passing lanes. Although their defensive chemistry also needs work because sometimes they both drift at the same time and they leave shooters open.

But yeah, going forward they are an exciting duo on the defensive end.

Secondly, Gino gets more touches with Hill than with TP. TP tends to over-dribble but makes up for it with his scoring. When the Spurs are running their screen/roll offense with the ball in Parker's hands, Manu has not been a good fit so far as the off-guard unless he is knocking down his threes. Ginobili's lack of explosion off the catch is the thing missing most since his surgery. And that's what he typically uses to score when playing with Parker. So far this year, he tends to shoot it off of TP's penetration rather than mixing it up and sometimes driving to the basket on the rotating defense. Ginobili can explode somewhat when he's isolated with his dribble but the catch and instant explosion isn't there yet.

Over the years, Ginobili has consistently scored about 22 points per 40 minutes when paired with Parker. Right now he's at 17.6. Compared to last year, he's getting the same number of field goal attempts with Parker on the court, the thing that is really down is his free throw attempts. Which again goes back to his explosion off the catch . . .

The good news is that the Spurs as a whole are playing well when TP and Ginobili are paired together -- especially recently. In the last ten games, the Spurs are outscoring their opponents 102-89 per 48 minutes with Parker and Ginobili on the court.

m33p0
01-05-2009, 07:34 PM
... Mason and Hill are deferring a bit too much.
QFT.

kace
01-05-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm sure that Hill could/should be more aggressive but it's not easy when you are paired with someone playing at that kind of level.

Yeah, when Ginobili is paired with Hill, it turns into The Ginobili Show. He scores at a great clip but he also turns the ball over a lot and gets less assists than usual. I think if Hill can demand more respect from the defense, Ginobili could still score a lot but the entire burden of the offense wouldn't have to be on him.

The good news is that Ginobili has never scored this well when paired with a backup point guard so Hill must be doing something right. Hill does a good job of making sure Ginobili gets the ball ... now he has to start looking at the rim, too.

so basicaly you're saying that Manu scores a lot when Hill is with him on the court so that mean Hill helps manu to score ? i don't think so.

Tony scores the most per 40 minutes paired with 1.Udoka 2. Oberto 3.Thomas 4. Tolliver
Does that mean that they're great at making tony score easily or simply that tony has to score more because these 4 players aren't good offensive threat ?? the second option seems the right one for me.

Tim scores the most per 40 minutes paired with 1.Farmer 2.Tolliver. does it mean again that farmer and tolliver are good or just that they are poor offensive players and that Tim has to carry the offense more with them on the court ? Is tolliver so good to make both tim and tp score so much ? i don't think so.

The fact that manu scores so much when hill on the court isn't especially a good thing for Hill. that firstly means he's not scoring enough when he's on the court. it's not that hill isn't scoring because manu scores well when he's with him, it's more manu having, needing to score more with hill on the court.

and to compare Manu per 40 minutes scoring when paired with Hill (30.7) and say it's better than LBJ is a nonsense. Tony with Udoka scores 35.2 per 40. Tim with farmer scores 36.5 pts per 40 minutes. does it mean they are as good at scoring than LBJ when paired with these two scrubs ???

you can't compare LBJ average scoring per 40 minute to a player best scoring per 40 minutes paired with a specific player. it has no interest. otherwise you have to say that LBJ paired with Hickson is scoring 39.2 points per 40, way much that manu's best with Hill.

jdev82
01-06-2009, 04:49 PM
i think mason did a great job, especially on d. hes an underrated defender, and he showed it in the philly game. at the end of the game, philly had a chance to tie or whatever, and they ran a screen, mason switched off on igudala, and they ran an iso off the mismatch. mason did a great job holding his own against a bigger stronger opponent. his hands were active the whole game, and he stepped it up and wouldnt let iggy get a shot off. great job mace.