PDA

View Full Version : Tom's Ribs - CLOSED!!!

JudynTX
01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
:wow Damn! :depressed

The last San Antonio location of Tom's Ribs, 121 N. Loop 1604 W., has closed, according to a woman who answered the phone there Monday morning.

There had originally been three locations, including one on Nacogdoches and another on Loop 410, but they closed earlier.

link (http://http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/food/2009/01/toms-ribs-has-closed.html)

mrsmaalox
01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
In my experience, Tom's always had consistently good food and good service. That's a shame.

I Love Me Some Me
01-05-2009, 03:13 PM
c'mon down...TOM'S RIBS
put on a bib
Pick out a rib

JudynTX
01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
In my experience, Tom's always had consistently good food and good service. That's a shame.

And Bill Miller's remains open. :bang:lol

Blake
01-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Quality kept going down while the prices kept jumping up....

not just in a down economy, but in any economy, you can't have those two. I hadn't eaten there in at least 2 years because there are better choices out there now for the buck. I'd much rather make the drive to Rudys where the food is better and you don't tip.

Bill Miller's is crap, but it's open because it's cheap crap that's fast.

AlamoSpursFan
01-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Bill Miller's is to good BBQ what McDonald's is to a good hamburger.

I'll miss Tom's Ribs though.

I. Hustle
01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
RIP dead niggas on the wall.

I'll miss you TR.

JoeChalupa
01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Damn, and I just commented the wife a few weeks ago as we were driving by that I've never been there since I moved down here. Now I never will.

jcrod
01-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Wow, i didn't even know the one on 410 closed. I guess its been a couple of months since i've been there. My wife liked it, I use to like getting pitchers of Dos xx on draft.

2centsworth
01-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Tom's Ribs was always busy, so I'm guessing there was a tax problem or death.

Kori Ellis
01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
I never liked Tom's Ribs, but it's sad to see businesses going under.

CharlieMac
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
How funny. I worked there a while too. Great food when it was fresh. They really let that place go. Food became consistenly bad, and cooks gradually held food to a lower standatrd when prepping plates. But damn they had sweet happy hour specials.

Clandestino
01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I thought the place fucking sucked! Glad it's gone.

T Park
01-05-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm not glad its gone :rolleyes

But I'm sad to see a business go belly up.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Last time I went to Tom's ribs... they were out of ribs. Can't say I didnt see this one coming

Sunshine
01-05-2009, 10:57 PM
It definitely had gone downhill in the past few years, but we still enjoyed eating there.

We almost went there last week too....now we won't have another chance.

fatsack
01-06-2009, 09:41 AM
we always enjoyed our experiences there....
too bad.

CommanderMcBragg
01-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I only went there a few times. Not the best but not the worst either.

fatsack
01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
tomsribs.com is already down too.

CosmicCowboy
01-06-2009, 10:00 AM
The original "poor boy" location in the shopping center on the Northeast side was worth driving across town for, but it was "real" BBQ and the owner was directly involved on a daily basis.

After they went upscale with the fancy theme restaurants the quality immediately dropped and then kept getting worse every year. I got talked into going there about a year ago and after that I swore I would never go back...I ordered a full rack of ribs (it was like $15+ for the dinner) and when it came out it was a half-rack...

I nicely told the waiter that I had only gotten a half rack and he went back to check and came back and told me that "no, that was a full rack"...I asked him what kind of strange hybrid pigs they were using that only had 6 ribs...he didn't even know what I was talking about and I asked him to get the manager...The manager came out and confirmed that I had gotten a "full rack" and I asked him the same question...and his reply was "Well...That's what WE call a full rack"... I finally gave up and ate them and after all that I didn't even finish them because they were dry and tasteless...

tonylongoriafan
01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
i'll choose to remember the good days with the large servings of juicy, plentiful ribs that i could not even finish :)

fatsack
01-06-2009, 11:27 AM
dammit, all this talk about ribs has me jonesing for a good ribs fix.

mexicanjunior
01-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I've never been there but my girlfriend said it was good...sorry to see it close before I had a chance to check it out.

Rockhound
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I am fascinated by this Spurstalk.com Bill Miller's hate.

CubanMustGo
01-06-2009, 11:54 AM
I am fascinated by this Spurstalk.com Bill Miller's hate.

Meh, it's really more indifference. You want quick cheap "BBQ" (note the quotes) then Bill Miller's is OK. You want good BBQ, it's not. I'll take Dallas' Sonny Bryan's or Austin's Poke-E-Jo's any day of the week over Bill, but then again they're not as cheap.

I've been going to Bill Miller's since the only location was the original on Clark, the one with the tree trunks and cedar paneling inside. Great food it's not.

mrsmaalox
01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
I never had ribs at Tom's; but I always liked the brisket and the chicken. :oink

mexicanjunior
01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I'll take Dallas' Sonny Bryan's or Austin's Poke-E-Jo's any day of the week over Bill, but then again they're not as cheap.

There is a Sonny Bryan's right next to my house in North Dallas and it is effing horrible. Overpriced and dry, overcooked beef and chicken. I would take Bill Miller's over them in a heartbeep. Also, Bill Miller's has excellent tea, I wish Dallas had a Bill Miller's for that alone...