PDA

View Full Version : time to cut tolliver and sign sims ?

venitian navigator
01-05-2009, 04:36 PM
the moiment for D league players has come.....Davidson has already signed for G.S.
I'm not seeiyng improvements on Toliver...I like him but since Pop is not convinced to give him time, he's not gonna find the necessary confidence to put his shot in consistently.
On the other end has become obvious that, lacking mr. Mahinmi, we lack someone young that can rebound and block shots (and, in case, put also some points from near the basket) : by now, Courtney Sims in second in NBDL in scoring, first in rebounding and also blocks more than 2 shots per game.
I definitly think he's worth a try and that Spurs better hurry before someone else calls him...a guaranteed contract for the some money and some years extension of Tolliver wouldn't be a bad idea!

saxman
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
On occasion, Toliver seems to get lost when playing defense. Offensively, his only drawback is his streaky shooting. But, I wouldn't give up on him just yet. She shows constant activity on the court (when he is on the court). His basketball IQ is pretty good for a rookie. To be honest, I see him as a better replacement for Horry. They have (or had...whatever) similar games.

Just my two cents...

ChumpDumper
01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
I would rather make Vaughn a coach.

MarCowMar
01-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Tolliver either. Almost every player who comes here has trouble finding their shot. I don't know if it's lack of minutes or pressure to hit shots on such a good team, but it's not unusual for players to struggle.

Tolly's defense is pretty good, and so is his passing. He plays with a lot of energy. He doesn't look completely lost out there like most new Spurs. And even though he's a rookie, with that bald head he looks really old so he fits right in here.

Maybe we can just move him in a couple feet and have him shoot long twos instead of threes? He's tall so losing a few feet of breathing room shouldn't prevent him from getting his shot off.

xtremesteven33
01-05-2009, 05:38 PM
If Spurs dont sign or trade for a Big by Febuary i expect an Horry call up....

tp2021
01-05-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm generally suspcious of bigs who put up good/great D-League numbers, but whose rights aren't held by any team. Big men who can really play at the NBA level aren't often overlooked by NBA teams, which are almost always hungry for bigs who can really play at the NBA level. The hint of that ability is often enough for a team to lock up even marginal prospects in the hope that they'll pan out. The fact that no team holds the rights to a big man generally signals -- to me at least -- a widespread doubt that he can really play. It's not remarkable to me that a big player might have a game that allows him to dominate at the D-League level but that doesn't translate very well to the big leagues.

I'm not saying that Courtney Sims can't or won't make it at the NBA level, but I think its curious that no team has been willing to even retain his rights (despite the fact that both the Pacers and Hornets have had him around for long-ish looks). I'd be skeptical about pinning much in the way of hopes on such a player.

benefactor
01-05-2009, 05:42 PM

Austin_Toros
01-05-2009, 05:45 PM
we lack someone young that can rebound and block shots (and, in case, put also some points from near the basket) : by now, Courtney Sims in second in NBDL in scoring, first in rebounding and also blocks more than 2 shots per game.
I definitly think he's worth a try and that Spurs better hurry before someone else calls him

Someone will probably sign Sims soon- especially since Jermareo Davidson has just been signed. Tolliver hasn't impressed me and I think Sims could help the spurs out if he can rebound the ball.

But apart from another big, i think the spurs could also use a SF.

tav1
01-05-2009, 05:52 PM
The Spurs rebounding, interior scoring and interior d could all use a little shoring up. I think the Spurs are gonna have to make room for another big, especially with Mahinmi uncertain. My 2 cents.

Sims? Sure, I'd like them to try that. Worst case, he goes back to Iowa in 11 days. Although, as usual, I agree with CD. I'd rather the Spurs make Vaughn a coach just like Boston plans to do with Cassall

01-05-2009, 05:52 PM
do it. got nothing to lose since tolliver doesn't seem to want to score in the nba. spurs already have two low scoring bigs in thomas and oberto, they don't need another.

eisfeld
01-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Actually I would like to have him in San Antonio. The worst thing as someone said before: He goes back in 11 days. He's big and not that soft. Make Vaugn a coach and call the guy up.

I also think it's to early to give up on Tolliver. The guy can shoot but is inconsistent. He needs one more year in NBDL and he'll be fine.

SenorSpur
01-05-2009, 06:15 PM
THe reason the interior situation is deficient is because Ian has not made his season debut. If so, then Tolliver's spot would make sense. Since Ian is not here, Sims could be an option until or if Ian ever makes it back. Having a 2nd big who spreads the floor seems to be a luxury at this point. Wouldn't hurt to look at him for 10 days or so.

Brazil
01-05-2009, 06:17 PM

+1000000

I really thing he is totally useless as a player, Hill is the Tony back up, when we need, Mase and Manu can play PG, we have 2 "true" PG even if blabla tony blabla scoring blabla and 2 decent back ups to do the job during few minutes.

FlAVaK
01-05-2009, 06:20 PM

Comparing Horry last season with Tolliver this season:

mpg 13-11,5
fg% 32-29
3p% 26-22
Reb 2,4-2,5
Ast 1,0-0,9
ppg 2,5-2,9

I don`t see a significant difference in their production!
They also have the same weight and height.
But Tolliver is 15 years younger.
Fifteen fuckin years!

Don´t forget, Tolliver is a Rookie. He showed his potential in the Summer League and in Austin, on NBA-level he`s just a little scared shootin the ball, but gives you a lot of everything else: Rebounding, Passing, Hustling...

One year ago he played in the German League and played the playoffs with his club, which is now in the last place of the BBL.
I think, he just needs some more time to adjust to the NBA.
I´m all for keepin him on the Spurs.

But if he´s cut, please not for Robert Horry, who wouldn`t be an upgrade over Tolliver...

ashbeeigh
01-05-2009, 06:38 PM
We're stuck with Tolliver. He's in one of those Pizza Hut commercials. Sorry y'all. :p:

ChumpDumper
01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
+1000000

I really thing he is totally useless as a player, Hill is the Tony back up, when we need, Mase and Manu can play PG, we have 2 "true" PG even if blabla tony blabla scoring blabla and 2 decent back ups to do the job during few minutes.I don't think he's totally useless as a player -- we just have so many options at the point now.

Signing him as a coach keeps him around in case some disaster happens later on in the season.

MarHill
01-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Not going to happen.....Pop likes having a 3rd point guard for insurance. Look at what happen last year when TP went down.....the Spurs had to sign Damon Stoudamire.

Because of that. Vaughn won't be a coach or assistant this year.

MarHill
01-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I like Tolliver's energy and hustle...but he has to make shots when he's in the game. I feel he's trying to force himself into making 3 pts. He should be working on the midrange game instead.

If he doesn't make shots he could be sent back down to Austin.

Johnny RIngo
01-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I really don't see the point of having a perimeter big man that CAN'T shoot. Tolliver's FG% is .292 for the season(3P% is .220). Time to dump him and look for someone that might be able to contribute to this team.

T Park
01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I really don't see the point of having a perimeter big man that CAN'T shoot. Tolliver's FG% is .292 for the season(3P% is .220). Time to dump him and look for someone that might be able to contribute to this team.

Yes, give up on the 23 year old.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Not going to happen.....Pop likes having a 3rd point guard for insurance. Look at what happen last year when TP went down.....the Spurs had to sign Damon Stoudamire.

Because of that. Vaughn won't be a coach or assistant this year.I'm saying what I would like to happen.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2009, 06:51 PM
I like Tolliver's energy and hustle...but he has to make shots when he's in the game. I feel he's trying to force himself into making 3 pts. He should be working on the midrange game instead.

If he doesn't make shots he could be sent back down to Austin.He would still be there had Oberto not been injured.

T Park
01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
I may be wrong and foolish, and I'm gonna defer to Chump on this, I think Tolliver has great potential for this league, I love his athletic ability, his defensive tenacity, his rebounding and nose for the ball as well as his passing ability. I think his defense is what really makes him attractive in that hes very versatile and able to guard both a 4 and a 3. He proved that IMO the other night vs Memphis in guarding Gay and stepped out and guarded Gasol once or twice.

I agree the shooting has to improve, but I would really hope its not "has to make 3's" for him to stick.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Well I won't shed a tear if Tolliver is waived, I just see him as a longer term project than most want him to be. Of course the Spurs are trying to make another Horry out of him -- that's why it's going to take awhile.

Tully365
01-05-2009, 07:02 PM
I really like Tolliver's energy and heart, but it seems to me that the Spurs' greatest weakness is the fact that they are undersized generally and short at least one big body defensively in the paint. Also, they don't get to the FT line much, and they have trouble out-rebounding teams. As much as I like him, Tolliver doesn't address most of these issues, and I just don't think that another potential 3 pt shooting guy is going to really accomplish much-- the Spurs are already the best 3 pt shooting team in the NBA, without him.

Johnny RIngo
01-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Yes, give up on the 23 year old.

Again, Tolliver's FG% is .292 . Spurs desperately need guys that can score and rebound. The last thing we need is another black hole on offense.

SenorSpur
01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I really like Tolliver's energy and heart, but it seems to me that the Spurs' greatest weakness is the fact that they are undersized generally and short at least one big body defensively in the paint. Also, they don't get to the FT line much, and they have trouble out-rebounding teams. As much as I like him, Tolliver doesn't address most of these issues, and I just don't think that another potential 3 pt shooting guy is going to really accomplish much-- the Spurs are already the best 3 pt shooting team in the NBA, without him.

As others have stated, I like Tolliver too. Despite his poor shooting pct, he's got skills that, if developed, can possibly translate into him becoming a contributing player. The fact that he's smart, a good passer and has picked up most of the Spurs defensive schemes is a credit.

As Tully mentioned above, the Spurs are undersized, as far as defending the post, rebounding and protecting the paint are concerned. This continues to be a glaring weakness that caught up to them in last year's playoffs. It absolutely has to be addressed heading into the middle of the season.

That said, if the Spurs wanted to waive Tolliver in order to bring in a contributing big that can help Tim do some heavy lifting for 10-12 mins a night, I'd be OK with that.

Tully365
01-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Again, I don't think Sims will be a world-beater... but remember, the Spurs won championships with guys like Elson, Nazr, and Rasho helping Tim defend the post. Mahinmi has still yet to be declared healthy, so it just makes sense to me to give Sims a ten day tryout.

dbestpro
01-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Sims would be of no help. Only a vet could come in and contribute at this late point in the season. Sims is the kind of player you go to camp with. All he would do is make mistakes in our complicated system.

angelbelow
01-05-2009, 10:19 PM
well i can see the fascination in tolliver however we need length... this is a tough call and there will be no way of knowing what is right or what is wrong until we make decision.

galvatron3000
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm wondering why no team has called Sims yet, is there something about his game they don't think will translate or is it financial? Is he athletic or just smarter? Why does he rebound and block shots so well?

ChumpDumper
01-06-2009, 03:24 AM
I think several teams want to see him in person before calling him up. Someone like Davidson is a bit more of a known quantity and Sims never showed this level of play last season.

mathbzh
01-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Again, Tolliver's FG% is .292 . Spurs desperately need guys that can score and rebound. The last thing we need is another black hole on offense.

Not to be pessimistic but the Spurs can't afford a big who can score AND rebound.

Manufan909
01-06-2009, 04:43 AM
I think several teams want to see him in person before calling him up. Someone like Davidson is a bit more of a known quantity and Sims never showed this level of play last season.

Why do you think he is doing so well all of a sudden?

Obstructed_View
01-06-2009, 04:46 AM
Tolliver should take one giant step closer to the basket and spot up there.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Tolliver could well end up being waived but I beg to differ! Granted he's not shooting well at the moment and he's raw but he's showing so much more than that and I don't remember another undrafted rookie playing as much for Pop as him. Pop knows he can shoot and he will eventually figure it out, what matters is that his BBIQ seems to be good, he's learning the system as well as you could expect from a rookie and he's willing to hustle, rebound, pass, defend and improve. I'm very impressed with him and when he starts shooting well, which could well be a couple of years away now, he'll be a very decent rotation player in the NBA. Unlike Sims who at best could be a 4/5th big someday IMO.

m33p0
01-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Tolliver should take one giant step closer to the basket and spot up there.
:tu

boutons_
01-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Tolliver's value would go way up if we would quit shooting 3s, which is not what the Spurs need.

Missing those wide-open shots, over and over and over, the defense ignores him, (instead of being spread) negates all the other good stuff he does.

I hate when when he finally makes one, since that prolongs the stupidity.

mrspurs
01-06-2009, 08:51 AM

I hate to say it too. But I can see Cheap Shot Bob talking on the phone with the Spurs. But not to come in and play. More of a insurance policy come PO time. For insurance no problem. But theres noway he can come in and help this team. He isnt an inside threat. Like PJ Brown was. Horrys just gonna chunk up 3s and we have enough tall guys who can do that imo.

mrspurs
01-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Tolliver's value would go way up if we would quit shooting 3s, which is not what the Spurs need.

Missing those wide-open shots, over and over and over, the defense ignores him, (instead of being spread) negates all the other good stuff he does.

I hate when when he finally makes one, since that prolongs the stupidity.

:lol I hear ya.

mrspurs
01-06-2009, 08:54 AM
I still like AT. He has played better then the normal rookie. On a veteran team not a sorry still learning how to play together team. If this kids Sims was as good as the D-league says he is. And we're talking the D-league lol. He would have already been grabbed imo. Teams are always looking for Bigs.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Damn, you're an idiot.

If he hasn't been called up, Sims is about to play in the showcase against Dakota, which has one of the best groups of frontline players in the league -- Richard Hendrix, Rod Benson, Will Frisby.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/webcastDleague.html

silverblackfan
01-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I say hang on to the 23 year old Rookie. His hustle and BB IQ remind me of Malik. He has the range and a good arc on his shot. Once his nerves and confidence align with his playing time, he will be a great help.
I am all for going after a big, if available and Ian is out for the season. Otherwise, wait for the results on Ian's ankle and continue to develop this team as is.
One of the best lines that Pop has ever delivered was when he told the group that there will not be any trades. They would have to get it done with the team they got. I like that bunker mentality about the Spurs, especially after the RRT.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm surprised Sims is matched up against Frisby instead of Hendrix on both ends. Blocks are coming pretty easy because of his size advantage. Frisby backed him down pretty easily for one basket down low, though.

superbigtime
01-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Tolliver is sucking ass. Would like to cut Tolliver, sign SIMS, move JV to coach who we could reactivate if there is some sort of PG disaster (in which case we're fucked anyway) and bring up Hairston. Tolliver just isn't working out.

Yorae
01-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Let's just cut his ankles and give it to ian!!!! Come on!!!!

m33p0
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Let's just cut his ankles and give it to ian!!!! Come on!!!!
hay... if we must. i'll go get the chainsaw.

Yorae
01-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Go. I'll do the sewing.

toki9
01-06-2009, 08:47 PM
i don't understand all this love for Tolliver, especially given all the hatred for Mahinmi (and his ankles)...

m33p0
01-06-2009, 08:51 PM
i don't understand all this love for Tolliver, especially given all the hatred for Mahinmi (and his ankles)...
because he passes the ball to tim.... INSIDE!

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
01-07-2009, 12:58 AM
I Like Tolliver But Needs More Work, But That Girly Name Dude Has Some Good Stats On The D League. Any Vid On This Guy? I Tried Youtube N Only Sims Game Bull Came Up!!!!!!

ChumpDumper
01-07-2009, 03:58 AM
There are a couple of Iowa games in the archive here:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/webcast_archive_0708.html

I wasn't super impressed with Sims today. He had good stats but it just seemed he was capitalizing on his height advantage more than anything. I was expecting more energy, but he still seems worth a look to see if he can do anything in the NBA. I was more impressed by his teammate Cartier Martin -- he reminded me of a stretched out Kelenna Azubuike.

superbigtime
01-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I would even take Rasho at this point. A smart veteran who knows our personnel and our system. He would be just what we need. Udoka + JV + 2nd rounder for Rasho and bring up Hairston from Austin.

venitian navigator
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM
salarys don't match...

01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
i don't think people know that udoka and vaughn only make $2 million combined. that is not enough money to get anyone except another scrub or an underpaid rookie. even with bonner's $3 million contract, all three only make a whopping $5 million. average centers price in the $6-8 million range and good centers go over $10 million.

YoMamaIsCallin
01-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Tolliver is not a poor shooter. I attended the Dec. 27th game and watched him warm up, he was stroking it pure. He is also a good shooter in the D-league, in 2007-08 he shot 51% (36% from 3pt), and in his Toros games this year he was in the high 40%s in 3pt shooting and over 50% overall.

For some reason he has not shot well with the Spurs. He just needs time and minutes and he'll get there.

HarlemHeat37
01-07-2009, 01:27 PM
not necessarily..

some guys are great shooters in practice, summer league, D-league,...but can't shoot in the NBA..Tolliver is one of them..

tp2021
01-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Darius Miles!

pad300
01-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Darius Miles!
/dreaming

Yep, sign him for a series of 10 day contracts, and then use him to blackmail Portland (with the threat of playing him enough game sto put him back on their salary cap - he's off it for a medical retirement) for to get one of their glut of SF's (outlaw, Fernandez, Batum, webster...)

/stop dreaming

ohmwrecker
01-07-2009, 08:27 PM
The problem with Tolliver is he is too slight to bang with the big fours and not a reliable enough jump shooter to play the three. He is also not up to the Spurs' defensive standards. I like his energy and hustle, but it would serve him to bulk up a little and shoot a consistent 3 pointer.
He reminds me of a less beefy Malik Rose.

Austin_Toros
01-08-2009, 03:03 AM
we're half way there now!

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Coach Nurse has a pretty succinct scouting report in this article.

Sizzling Sims Has Iowa Energized

Courtney Sims of the Iowa Energy posted a pair of double-doubles at the D-League Showcase.

By Mark Bodenrader, D-League.com

Orem, Utah, January 7, 2009 - Iowa’s Courtney Sims has been racking up the accolades this season. He posted the first triple-double of the 2008-09 NBA D-League season back on November 28 against Sioux Falls with 22 points, 17 rebounds and 11 blocks. He was named NBA D-League Player of the Month for December after averaging 24.3 points and 13.0 rebounds, shooting 62 percent from the floor and leading Iowa to a 6-1 record. He’s currently tied for the league lead in double-doubles with 10.

And that’s just skimming the surface of what the 6-10 center out of Michigan has accomplished in such a brief span of basketball time (12 games).

After two more strong performances at the 2009 D-League Showcase, Sims now owns overall averages of 22.8 points, 12.7 boards and 2.7 blocks per game (all team-bests), which are up from 15.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg and 0.8 bpg last season.

What’s the reason for his drastic improvement? Sims claims it’s the result of a lot of hard work, but it seems his modest personality prevents him from going into more detail. Instead, he’s quick to deflect attention away from himself and put the focus on his teammates.

“I just play hard every minute,” said Sims. “I’m patient. I let the game come to me. I have great teammates that help me out with my scoring and everything I do.”

Winning does do a lot for the spirits of players, and the Energy are an impressive 10-3 on the season, which currently leads the Central Division. But you could easily point to Sims' dominance in the early part of the season as the main cause of the Energy's success.

Iowa head coach Nick Nurse sees a couple reasons why Sims has made such a leap this season.

“He’s just come back a lot more athletic,” said Nurse. “He’s quicker to the ball. He’s quicker to blocking shots. He’s quicker to defensive rebounds. That’s the first thing. And the second thing is his skills have improved. From being a kind of a dribble up once and shoot a right-handed jumper to shooting turnarounds, hitting face-up and even taking it off the dribble a little bit. He’s really improved his overall conditioning and his skill work.”

At the level he’s currently playing, Sims no doubt has to be on the shortlist of players who could get that next call-up to the NBA, which is saying something in a league filled with talent. Nurse agrees, but notes there are still aspects of his game he can work on to better his chances.

“I just think he needs to keep improving his conditioning,” said Nurse. “Their concern (at the next level) is can he score at that level and get a bucket or two here or there. And the biggest thing is can he defend at that level. He’s got to be able to move his feet and play the screen-and-rolls. He’s got to be big and tough enough down there to not get planted in the lane.”

However, it’s getting tougher for Sims to improve on the stat sheet. Nurse says that Sims has been so effective that opposing teams are now concentrating on stopping him, which could cause his numbers to dip a bit. But it still doesn’t diminish the impact he’s having in the D-League and could have at the next level.

“He’s a good quality big,” said Nurse. “He’s very smart. Defensively, he knows where he’s supposed to be at. I think he could probably help somebody.”

That somebody could be Houston. Just prior the Showcase, Sims traveled there for a demanding workout for the Rockets with a former D-League standout.

“It was me and Pops Mensah-Bonsu,” said Sims. “It was hard. It was an hour and 15 minutes. We went hard at each other. I think I impressed them a little bit.”

Sims has impressed those that have witnessed his talents all season. Hopefully, he’ll get a chance to turn the heads of NBA fans sometime soon.

“I just have to keep playing, doing what I’m doing,” said Sims. “My team is winning. My teammates are playing well. I’m getting accolades because of my teammates and our success as a team. If I continue to do that, everything will work out.”

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/sims_showcase_090107.html

EricB
01-08-2009, 10:31 AM
He’s a good quality big,” said Nurse. “He’s very smart. Defensively, he knows where he’s supposed to be at. I think he could probably help somebody.”

Interesting...

m33p0
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
i hope pop takes a look at that guy.

tav1
01-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Houston only has 14 under contract, so I wonder why they wouldn't pull the trigger on a 10 day? Also, the article doesn't suggest other team reps were there, but it's possible.

The thing that is most enticing about Sims is that he's made and sustained a sharp improvement over past performance. In other words, even if he is not quite yet NBA-ready, he could get there with one more summer of improvement. This is the time to buy low.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 11:33 AM
If we want someone to help this season, we're probably going to end up signing Croshere.

tav1
01-08-2009, 11:36 AM
If we want someone to help this season, we're probably going to end up signing Croshere.

Sadly, true. Well, not too sadly, actually. I'd rather win a championship than sign a prospect, but this might not have to be an either/or. Not that Croshere puts the Spurs over the top.

SenorSpur
01-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Would love to see the Spurs give him a 10-day contract look. If they're interested, they'd better hurry.

Bruno
01-08-2009, 01:43 PM
When you think at a possible FA, you had two wonder two basic questions :
- Can this player help Spurs this year ?
- Has this player a good chance to better than players Spurs can get this summer (via Draft, FA or with players still in the pipeline) ?

If the answer is no at both questions, this player isn't a good option to consider.

To me, the answer to both question is no with Sims.

benefactor
01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Awesome...more soft bigs that do nothing but shoot. I'll pass.

tav1
01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
When you think at a possible FA, you had two wonder two basic questions :
- Can this player help Spurs this year ?
- Has this player a good chance to better than players Spurs can get this summer (via Draft, FA or with players still in the pipeline) ?

If the answer is no at both questions, this player isn't a good option to consider.

To me, the answer to both question is no with Sims.

So the Spurs should not have signed Hairston?

Good questions, but there are other considerations. Besides, the answer to your second question, at least for me, is maybe. That's why a 10 day is a no harm, no foul.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Awesome...more soft bigs that do nothing but shoot. I'll pass.Sims looked pretty soft against Dakota. The advantage of Croshere is knowing he can perform on an NBA level.

Bruno
01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
So the Spurs should not have signed Hairston?

Sims is 25 years old. Hairston is 21 years old.
Spurs also still have 2 athletic bigs in the pipeline with Mahinmi and Gist. Maybe even more if Splitter and/or Javtokas decides to come in NBA.
Spurs have nothign in the pipeline at the SF spot.

And I don't know if you have watch Sims but he looks significantly worse than his stats.

tav1
01-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Sims is 25 years old. Hairston is 21 years old.
Spurs also still have 2 athletic bigs in the pipeline with Mahinmi and Gist. Maybe even more if Splitter and/or Javtokas decides to come in NBA.
Spurs have nothign in the pipeline at the SF spot.

And I don't know if you have watch Sims but he looks significantly worse than his stats.

I've only watched two games on archive, so I'm basing this on his stats. I'll give you that much. And I'm very willing to believe that is the Spurs gave him one 10 day contract, he might not deserve a second. I'm simply advocating a look.

Hoy
01-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Sims is producing better than Ian, so why bother with Ian?
Croshere is like Horry, nothing left and he never had much to begin with.
How about Miles for SF? Lets take a look with couple of 10 day contracts.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Sims is producing better than Ian, so why bother with Ian?Ian rarely saw anything less than a double team last season. Sims is playing well, but let's not go overboard. The D-League is a bit talent diluted compared to last season due to expansion.

EricB
01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Reading more into Sims, it seems like hes in the Calvin Booth mold.

So no thanks on him.

Bruno
01-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I've only watched two games on archive, so I'm basing this on his stats. I'll give you that much. And I'm very willing to believe that is the Spurs gave him one 10 day contract, he might not deserve a second. I'm simply advocating a look.

Spurs have an open roster and no financial trouble, so there are basically no negatives at trying some D-League players.
I just think that Sims isn't a that interesting player to try. Right now, if I were Spurs, I would rather give a 10 days contract to Erik Daniels.

tav1
01-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Spurs have an open roster and no financial trouble, so there are basically no negatives at trying some D-League players.
I just think that Sims isn't a that interesting player to try. Right now, if I were Spurs, I would rather give a 10 days contract to Erik Daniels.

Okay, I can see that argument. I'm still in favor of Sims, but I don't see why the Spurs wouldn't try their hand at somebody. In terms of wings--don't everybody shoot at once--James White appears to be playing well. The recent DX write up made me think he might be worth bringing in. Although, that bridge is already in flames, I suppose. Gary Forbes?

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I dont' know why Dwayne Jones hasn't played for Iowa. He put up rebound and block numbers similar to Sims' when he played in the D-League. He's probably working out for some teams.

If he and Tolliver end up playing for Iowa, that will be a pretty ridiculous frontline.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
James White...Gary Forbes?Sure, also Erik Daniels, Cartier Martin, Richard Hendix, Andre Brown, Marcus Williams, Damone Brown, Pops Mensa-Bonsu, Dwayne Jones, Lance Allred, Marcus Campbell, Joe Crawford, Dwayne Mitchell....

I'd take any of these guys for a workout or a 10-day. No world beaters out there but plenty of guys worth a look.

tav1
01-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Sure, also Erik Daniels, Cartier Martin, Richard Hendix, Andre Brown, Marcus Williams, Damone Brown, Pops Mensa-Bonsu, Dwayne Jones, Lance Allred, Marcus Campbell, Joe Crawford, Dwayne Mitchell....

I'd take any of these guys for a workout or a 10-day. No world beaters out there but plenty of guys worth a look.

Noted.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Sims doesnt look like an NBA player to me, rather see us go after an older big or trade for Williams from NJ.Williams hasn't even looked like a D-League player lately.

Bruno
01-08-2009, 07:52 PM
People who wants Sean Williams should just read this article :

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2009/01/new_jersey_nets_sean_williams_1.html

timvp
01-09-2009, 12:11 AM
People who wants Sean Williams should just read this article :

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2009/01/new_jersey_nets_sean_williams_1.html

Yeah, that should pretty much end any talk of the Spurs being interested in Sean Williams. And this isn't exactly new. This is the same guy who is such a basket case that he got kicked off of BC and then before the draft his handlers wouldn't let anyone work him out in fear he'd do something stupid to hurt his draft stock even more.