PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Pop On The Old Guys

duncan228
01-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Jeff McDonald: Pop on the old guys (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/01/jeff-mcdonald-p-28.html)

MIAMI -- Gregg Popovich covered all kinds of ground in a lengthy pre-game pow-wow with reporters here in Miami tonight.

Aside from the money quote -- "We're just not in the same league with the Lakers right now" -- the most interesting notebook fodder came in Pop's assessment of the two former Heat players on his roster, Bruce Bowen and Kurt Thomas.

* Of Bowen, the team's one-time iron man whose role has been reduced this season, Popovich said, "He is getting older. People don't realize he's 37 years old. That's pretty old for a guy at the three position, guarding arguably the best player on the other team every night."

Popovich said he's been giving more minutes to newcomer Roger Mason with the starters, so Mason can continue to get used to the Spurs' system. The coach hinted at the possibility of Bowen's role beginning to expand again as the season moves along.

"I just want to make sure he's there come playoff time, so I'm trying to reduce his minutes now," Popovich said.

* Thomas signed a two-year deal to return to the Spurs in the offseason, then showed up for training camp with a strained hamstring that would keep him out almost the entire preseason.

"I wondered what the hell to do with him, why we signed him," Popovich said. "Then, he came to be one day and said, 'I'm ready to go now."

It took Thomas a while to get into the flow of things, but Popovich says he's happy to have him.

"He doesn't need my ass," Popovich said. "He's been in the league a long time. He knows when he's ready to go."

spursfaninla
01-05-2009, 10:09 PM
I can't imagine pop saying "he doesn't need my ass."

timvp
01-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Thomas signed a two-year deal to return to the Spurs in the offseason, then showed up for training camp with a strained hamstring that would keep him out almost the entire preseason.

"I wondered what the hell to do with him, why we signed him," Popovich said.:lol

Classic Pop.

Yeah, early on Thomas looked like garbage. Thankfully he now once again is playing like a useful basketball player.

Yorae
01-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah, basically KT have his own ass...

Hemotivo
01-05-2009, 10:13 PM
"He doesn't need my ass," Popovich said.

:wtf
:wow

YODA
01-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Thomas is coming along, but I wonder if he can keep the pace. Seems to be a yoyo at the moment. Maybe pops trying to limit his minutes due to injury or maybe to save him for playoff time, but I sure wish the interior D was better.

Bonner is not the answer. With some teams, he can be utilzed, but in a physical game with boards being important, Bonner gonna be a liability.

Ian?? lets not go there.

Tolliver... Tolliver who??

Options? anyone have ideas?

ivanfromwestwood
01-06-2009, 01:56 AM
god i miss the admiral.

petersonj80
01-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Yeah ivan... Admiral is a great player i miss him too...

mrspurs
01-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I can't imagine pop saying "he doesn't need my ass."

:lol Oh Im guessing Pop was being nice.

polandprzem
01-06-2009, 08:58 AM
I must see that ass quote

:lol