HAITAO
01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Hill is SF

tomtom
01-05-2009, 09:48 PM
ooh nice numbers, glad to see a rebound

Brutalis
01-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I have been on the internets posting here much lately but I've been on the Hill wagon since before his struggles. He is from a small school, on the freaking Spurs of all teams as a rookie trying to be a .... dun dun dunnnn POINT GUARD!!

I'm excited as hell for Parker and Hill to be our 1-2 points and not have to rub my face anymore about backup Spurs point guards. G will be just fine.

bdictjames
01-05-2009, 09:52 PM
The guy has range, and can defend. Nothing more be said.

Spurs Brazil
01-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Good game for Hill.

And good to see Pop giving him minutes when TP wasn't doing well

MarHill
01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
He hit some big three pointers in key stretches of the ball game.

A nice game from G. Hill!!!

timvp
01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Very good game for Hill. Like SpursTalk was saying before the game, Hill needs to be more aggressive when paired with Ginobili. He did that tonight -- both in terms of creating his own shot and knocking down looks when others created for him.

Good to see Hill bust out of his slump with a big time performance on the road :tu

Kori Ellis
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM
It was great to see someone else step up when only Tim had been able to score. :tu

It's such a relief to final have a good backup PG after 7 years. :lol

Hemotivo
01-05-2009, 09:58 PM
this kid is great

spurs are rewarded after all the subpar pg's

spursfaninla
01-05-2009, 09:59 PM
glad to see him confident again.

MarHill
01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
It was great to see someone else step up when only Tim had been able to score. :tu

Kori, you said it!! :lol

The last decent back-up PG was Speedy Claxton!!!

:flag:

SpursPreacher
01-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Hill was great

HarlemHeat37
01-05-2009, 10:04 PM
we need him to get more touches and be more aggressive offensively..

the main reason we need him other than the fact that he gives us more depth, is the fact that he's one of the more aggressive players on the team..he gives us a new dimension..

I'd actually like to see more lineups with Tony and Hill together, since George's so long, he can play the 2(depending on the matchup, of course)..

timvp
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
we need him to get more touches and be more aggressive offensively..

the main reason we need him other than the fact that he gives us more depth, is the fact that he's one of the more aggressive players on the team..he gives us a new dimension..To expand on that point, Hill needs to be aggressive because he's one of the few players on this team that gets to the line. In fact, outside of the big three, he's the only player on the team that gets to the line with any regularity.

Coming into the Heat game, he was getting to the line per minute more than anyone on the team outside of Duncan. And that's with him being passive for the last few weeks.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say Hill has the ability to get to the line at a better rate than anyone on the team. With as few free throw attempts as the Spurs are averaging, they can't afford to not use what Hill can bring to the table.

Brazil
01-05-2009, 10:10 PM
The great thing about him is his capacity to grab decisive rebounds and the spurs NEED rebounds : no need to search a young big we have George for the reb and Manu for the bloks!

Solid D
01-05-2009, 10:15 PM
True, Hill got to the line and there weren't that many fouls called in this game. Hill finished on his drive (finally, he remembered how), he made shots 4-4. Hill made a couple of mistakes but for those comparing Chalmers with Hill, Hill had the scoring and hustle advantage tonight and in half the minutes of Chalmers.

angelbelow
01-05-2009, 10:16 PM
To expand on that point, Hill needs to be aggressive because he's one of the few players on this team that gets to the line. In fact, outside of the big three, he's the only player on the team that gets to the line with any regularity.

Coming into the Heat game, he was getting to the line per minute more than anyone on the team outside of Duncan. And that's with him being passive for the last few weeks.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say Hill has the ability to get to the line at a better rate than anyone on the team. With as few free throw attempts as the Spurs are averaging, they can't afford to not use what Hill can bring to the table.

i couldnt agree more. me and my friends were watching hill play a while back and we definitely came to that conclusion too. hes like a mini/rookie version of maggette. he looks pretty well built already but if he continues to work on his body he'll be able to absorb more damage and be more confident in drawing fouls.

T Park
01-05-2009, 10:19 PM
George Hill needs more PT and more touches, and more plays.

Kori Ellis
01-05-2009, 10:23 PM

He gets plenty of touches when he's in. But in recent weeks he's had a tendency to just pass to Manu and then run to the corner. He just needs to be a lot more aggressive like he was tonight.

The sign that Pop trusts him was tonight when the game was close and none of the big 3 were out on the floor with GHill running the show. Though it was just a couple minutes, it was good Pop can give him that.

Tonight's playing time(17 or whatever) is about the maximum he'll probably see, so it was awesome that he made the most of it.

Somehow he still ended up a minus in the +/- column - an example why I hate that stat :lol

Red Hawk #21
01-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Hill's a good backup at this point, he's gunna be really good when he gets more experience. It'll be fun watching him develop

Brazil
01-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Somehow he still ended up a minus in the +/- column - an example why I hate that stat :lol

couldn't agree more the +/- stat is tricky I prefer the old FG% / pts per 48 etc..

timvp
01-05-2009, 10:34 PM
The sign that Pop trusts him was tonight when the game was close and none of the big 3 were out on the floor with GHill running the show. Though it was just a couple minutes, it was good Pop can give him that.

Yeah that was bad azz of Pop to do in the guts of the game. IIRC, he had Hill, Mason, Bowen, Bonner and Thomas in the fourth quarter and I think the Spurs were either 2-0 or 4-0 in that stretch.

:hat

T Park
01-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Hill was absolute nails on defense too.

His length really really shook up Chalmers and Chalmers struggled.

Solid D
01-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah that was bad azz of Pop to do in the guts of the game. IIRC, he had Hill, Mason, Bowen, Bonner and Thomas in the fourth quarter and I think the Spurs were either 2-0 or 4-0 in that stretch.

It's because Pop is "The Most Interesting Man In The World".

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dYT3sH7nSgSM/358x283.jpg?center=0,0

T Park
01-05-2009, 10:48 PM

Pop's personality is so magnetic, he can't carry credit cards....

ElNono
01-05-2009, 10:50 PM

Soooo.... can we trade Tony now? :lol

DarrinS
01-05-2009, 10:51 PM

What are you talking about. Vaughn is the best backup PG in nba history. :lol

Nice to see Hill not panic when he got trapped a few times. Beno would've soiled himself.

Yorae
01-05-2009, 10:51 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20090106/capt.c92b7dbbce86449890de6053415d6abe.spurs_heat_b asketball_fljb104.jpg

Duncan: OMG, he's arms are verrrryyy looonngggg!!!!

Brazil
01-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Pop's personality is so magnetic, he can't carry credit cards....

:lol

Ice009
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
To expand on that point, Hill needs to be aggressive because he's one of the few players on this team that gets to the line. In fact, outside of the big three, he's the only player on the team that gets to the line with any regularity.

I said in the game thread that he needs to stop passing the ball to Manu if all Manu is going to do with it is take a forced jumper. If Manu has a good shot that is OK, but Hill has been passing to him a lot only to see Manu take a forced jumper.

I'd rather Hill drive than Manu take those kinds of shots.

DarrinS
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20090106/capt.c92b7dbbce86449890de6053415d6abe.spurs_heat_b asketball_fljb104.jpg

Duncan: OMG, he's arms are verrrryyy looonngggg!!!!

Weird photo. Is Magloire having a religious experience?

T Park
01-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Magloire was channeling his inner Mark Madsen flopping.

Yorae
01-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Hill should be on the winning wall.....Pls not another parker....

Ice009
01-05-2009, 10:56 PM

LOL he's been passive. He's had the ball in his hands almost every time he comes down the court. How is that not enough touches?

He's had a stretch where he played like Pop told him NOT to earlier in the season. Don't be a placeholder is what Pop said and that's pretty much what he's done in this poor stretch of his.

DarrinS
01-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Magloire was channeling his inner Mark Madsen flopping.

I seem to recall a photo of Rip Hamilton having a similar religious experience ala Robert Horry dunk.

Manufan909
01-05-2009, 11:12 PM

I knew Pop did those commercials!!!:lol

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2009, 11:25 PM
im sure all the ladies in here would love to have pop motorboat them now....that beard is just so sexy....

HarlemHeat37
01-05-2009, 11:38 PM
yup, your expanded thoughts were exactly what I was thinking TimVP..

Pop is the best coach in the NBA, he's going to realize what George can do for this team..we live and die by the 3, and it's been like this for a little while now, but it's going to be useful having an athletic PG/SG that can get to the rim like Hill does..

Tony gets to the rim, Tim plays in the post..hopefully Manu can regain some slashing ability, and George starts being more aggressive, and we'll be fine in that regard..one thing is for sure, if Manu gets healthy and Hill keeps being aggressive, we should be a much better offensive team than last year..with Hill, Mason, a better Finley and Bonner, we shouldn't go through droughts later on in the season..

we'll have to see about Manu's health and Hill's mentality though..we have plenty of time..

50 cent
01-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Great game for Hill tonight.

SenorSpur
01-06-2009, 12:18 AM
He gets plenty of touches when he's in. But in recent weeks he's had a tendency to just pass to Manu and then run to the corner. He just needs to be a lot more aggressive like he was tonight.

Exactly. I want to see him deferring less to Manu when they're on the court together. Manu has a tendency to dominate the ball, at times, so when Hill gives it up, he can sometimes get left out. Even with that, it was good to see Hill exhibit aggressive drives to the hoop. When he's doing so, he becomes a more effective and dangerous player. It also seems to help his overall confidence. I thought his 3-ball was as good as I've seen all season.

mystargtr34
01-06-2009, 12:44 AM
He still doesnt turn the corner enough. He has the speed to beat most guys to the paint. Most time he comes off a screen and dribbles to the top of the three point line and looks for Mason or Manu. Instead he should just go directly to the rim and make a play.

tp2021
01-06-2009, 12:47 AM
I only have one complaint with Georgie.

When he does decide to drive, it seems like he only has one thing on his mind, and that is to score. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I remember a play in this game where he drove and got fouled, but failed to finish with the contact (which is an area he seems to be making improvement in as well), but more importantly, didn't pass the ball to Timmy, who was wide open under the basket.

Of course, this will surely come in time. And perhaps maybe I am spoiled by having a PG that can drive, finish with contact, and kick to an open man in Tony.

SenorSpur
01-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Right now, I'm satisfied if he simply gets to the rim, scores and/or draws a foul

Yorae
01-06-2009, 12:56 AM
I hope he can develop the finishing touches while drawing the foul before playoff time. Maybe manu and tony can help, and yes stay away from jack vaughn.....

HarlemHeat37
01-06-2009, 01:12 AM
actually, he should play more LIKE Jacque..

JV heavily lacks talent, but he has a good mentality in basketball..he's aggressive on both sides of the floor, which is how George should play..

Yorae
01-06-2009, 01:14 AM
actually, he should play more LIKE Jacque..

JV heavily lacks talent, but he has a good mentality in basketball..he's aggressive on both sides of the floor, which is how George should play..

True enough, just don't ask him about finishing while being fouled:rolleyes

sa_kid20
01-06-2009, 01:15 AM
George's interview with the guys at NBA TV after the game.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/heat/2009/01/06/nba_20090105_hill_link.nba/index.html?player=whatsnew

Manufan909
01-06-2009, 01:34 AM
George's interview with the guys at NBA TV after the game.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/heat/2009/01/06/nba_20090105_hill_link.nba/index.html?player=whatsnew

I love Hills' demeanor, he seems like a class act. Not to forget Bonner or Mason, who have both been interviewed recently, and seem like great guys as well. There isn't a jerk on the team. Props to Pop.:toast

Austin_Toros
01-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Finally he got some game time and actually produced something when on the floor
his last few games have been below average

Austin_Toros
01-06-2009, 02:29 AM
hey! he outdid Chalmers!

Sissiborgo
01-06-2009, 02:58 AM
15 pts pretty good for him he must keep on playing like this good income off the bench and btw huge block by Manu on D-Wade :fro

mrspurs
01-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Hill played like the guy who was guarding him. Quinn isnt gonna stop anyone. I like Hill alot, but you can see just how quick the guys in this league are when Hill is out there. One on One. On most nights Hill struggles to get into the paint. He had it a little easier last night. And his shot was going in as well. This was a great team win. Even though it was against the Heat, imo we played well as a team. It wasnt alot of depending on TP and TD like most nights.

Spurs Brazil
01-06-2009, 04:41 PM
David Thorpe's Analysis
January 06, 2009

Another guy who has terrific defensive potential, Hill plays on a team that needs offensive firepower off the bench. Sometimes. Recently, they've not needed Hill at all, so he's been quiet, scoring just 10 points in the Spurs' past six games (five were wins) before Monday. But they needed his scoring badly in Miami on Monday, and Hill delivered, scoring 15 points in 17 minutes and making all three of his 3s. I continue to see a similar trend all season for Hill and the Spurs, with Popovich getting him minutes every game to keep him plugged in, expecting a few nights like we saw in Miami.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/rookies/blogs?playerId=3438&season=2009&playerRankingType=1&period=1&set=1&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fplayers%2frookies%2fblogs%3fplayerId%3d3438%26s eason%3d2009%26playerRankingType%3d1%26period%3d1% 26set%3d1

jayc23
01-06-2009, 05:00 PM
hate to say it but I don't feel like George and Manu mesh very well, manu would rather throw a prayer than give the ball to george, I don't think manu respects George at all.. I could be wrong, but in a run to the trophy, they need to be able to work together somewhat besides for manu calling for the ball and george fading out, manu is an incredible creator and play maker, I just think he could stand to make a couple extra passes a game.. I could be off base.

tp2021
01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
hate to say it but I don't feel like George and Manu mesh very well, manu would rather throw a prayer than give the ball to george, I don't think manu respects George at all.. I could be wrong, but in a run to the trophy, they need to be able to work together somewhat besides for manu calling for the ball and george fading out, manu is an incredible creator and play maker, I just think he could stand to make a couple extra passes a game.. I could be off base.

:wtf

It's not like Manu dribbles up the court and goes 1-on-1 immediately. Hill has the ball, and defers to Manu. Maybe too often. But the problem lies with Hill not being aggressive enough, not Manu being selfish.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-06-2009, 05:21 PM

NICE!!!!!

Chomag
01-06-2009, 05:29 PM

I'm agreeing with you. I have noticed this too that when Manu does pass it it seems to be to someone else most times. I really don't think Hill is having aggression issues. I see it more him still trying to fit in with the chemistry of the second unit. Once Hill starts the offense and passes it off to Manu it just never comes back to him. Not taking anything away from Manu because we all know how good he is but sometimes I think he tries to force it to much much.

Hill is a PG isn't he? Isn't his job to start running the offense ? How could he do that if he just tries to score each time he dribbles the ball down court?

Hill is doing fine, he just needs everyone else around him to help keep him involved..

toki9
01-06-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm agreeing with you. I have noticed this too that when Manu does pass it it seems to be to someone else most times. I really don't think Hill is having aggression issues. I see it more him still trying to fit in with the chemistry of the second unit. Once Hill starts the offense and passes it off to Manu it just never comes back to him. Not taking anything away from Manu because we all know how good he is but sometimes I think he tries to force it to much much.

Hill is a PG isn't he? Isn't his job to start running the offense ? How could he do that if he just tries to score each time he dribbles the ball down court?

Hill is doing fine, he just needs everyone else around him to help keep him involved..

i get the feeling that Manu is still struggling to find a feel for his game...which is why we're probably seeing him be a bit more selfish than he usually is...

HarlemHeat37
01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
well not only that, but Manu is accustomed to being the ONLY option we've had off the bench in recent years..this season, he has another guy that will be able to help him..it's just a chemistry issue, we'll be fine..

jayc23
01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
:wtf

It's not like Manu dribbles up the court and goes 1-on-1 immediately. Hill has the ball, and defers to Manu. Maybe too often. But the problem lies with Hill not being aggressive enough, not Manu being selfish.

I know if I was getting the cold shoulder from vets it would not instill confidence in me. to be aggressive.. you think George wants to piss manu off and not defer to him?... just because George shows him the respect of giving him the ball immediately when he calls for it doesn't mean manu has the right never to defer back to reset the offense or pass to george when hes been locked up on dribble drive ... I've just seen george almost being intimidated by manu, LEADING to him not being aggressive ... so you guys blaming George specifically for not being aggressive is not always george's fault..

we all know what he is capable of when hes called upon and people show confidence in him.. but when you treat him like hes not a viable offensive threat... I don't feel like manu should defer to george much.. but he prefers taking a low percentage forced shot to defering to george or another open option, and Im sorry that is not what has won the spurs championships... and if Manu is going to have to defer to his teamates sometimes even if it is the second unit... because small acts of unselfishness from veterans like him will be all the difference down the road.

superbigtime
01-06-2009, 08:29 PM

I think GH just needs to stop deferring to Manu. Manu can make GH even better. I don't think it's a matter of respect. I'm sure there is mutual respect and admiration. Manu respects all players who aren't thugs or assholes; he's always talking about respecting the opponent so I'm sure he respects his teammates. Anyway, GH looked really good, liked the aggressiveness.

Ice009
01-06-2009, 09:38 PM

Can Hill get to the rack though? It just looks to me that he struggles to get past players a lot of the time and goes back out to the 3 point line. Is he being passive here and trying to not rock the boat or what?

I agree that Manu needs to give him the ball more though.

Manufan909
01-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Can Hill get to the rack though? It just looks to me that he struggles to get past players a lot of the time and goes back out to the 3 point line. Is he being passive here and trying to not rock the boat or what?

I agree that Manu needs to give him the ball more though.

Did you watch the Spurs at all when TP was out? Hill drove like crazy, especially against the Rockets that first time he repeatedly got in Yao's face. He isn't scared of anyone.

Ice009
01-07-2009, 01:40 AM
Did you watch the Spurs at all when TP was out? Hill drove like crazy, especially against the Rockets that first time he repeatedly got in Yao's face. He isn't scared of anyone.

Yes I did watch most of those games. The thing is no one knew him that well so they didn't know how to defend him. Teams have a better scouting report on him now.

Basically I'm just asking if you guys think he is trying to and just isn't quick enough, or is he just pulling the ball back out to the three point line on purpose and trying to run the team instead?

Yorae
01-07-2009, 01:52 AM
He's trying to weigh things out and judge them coz he doesn't want to make mistakes.....he doesn't want rush things.....learned it from someone that dribbles....dribbles....dribbles....dribbles....dr ibbles....dribbles....dribbles.... shit no time got to pass it!!!!