PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Hill Produces In Key Minutes

duncan228
01-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Spurs' Hill produces in key minutes (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Hill_produces_in_key_minutes.html)
Jeff McDonald

MIAMI — Midway through the second quarter of the Spurs' 91-84 victory Monday night at Miami, rookie guard George Hill found himself in a situation that could have been hazardous to his health.

Spurs forward Kurt Thomas had just been called for a loose ball foul, while scrambling for a rebound with diminutive Heat guard Chris Quinn, and was close to letting the official who had whistled it, Bob Delaney, have an earful.

So Hill did something he would not advise kids to try at home. He stepped between a perturbed bull (Thomas) and a flapping, red cape (Delaney).

“That's what a teammate is for,” said Hill, who not-so-gently prodded the veteran Thomas to midcourt. “When things go bad, to get him out of a situation where it could possibly hurt us. I just wanted to keep it peaceful.”

Hill wasn't just there to play peacemaker Monday. In an extended stint in reserve of Tony Parker, Hill scored 15 points in 17 minutes — including the first 6 1/2 of the fourth quarter — and made all four of his field goal tries.

It was his most prolific scoring night since posting 19 points against Chicago on Nov. 26.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he went into the game planning to give Hill some extra minutes. Hill made the decision to keep him in the game easy.

“We wanted to give him time, as a rookie, to play,” Popovich said, noting how Miami rookie Mario Chalmers has flourished while playing a starter's minutes. “Every minute he can get is going to help him down the stretch, and we love leaving him in there.”

Twice, the Heat (18-15) tied the game in the early stages of the fourth quarter. Twice, Hill answered with a big basket.

He followed Quinn's tying 3-pointer with a matching 3-pointer, then responded to Dwyane Wade's old-fashioned 3-point play with one of his own.

“Anything that helps our team win games,” Hill said. “If it's three minutes or two minutes or if it's the whole game.”

Still bombing: The Spurs were 10 of 22 from the 3-point stripe, which meant they had cooled off from their 15 of 26 clip in a victory against Philadelphia two nights earlier.

It was still enough to nudge the Spurs' league-leading season percentage up a tenth of a point to 40.7 percent — and leave Miami coach Erik Spoelstra impressed.

Spoelstra said the Spurs' 3-point attack begins with its Big Three of Tim Duncan, Parker and Manu Ginobili creating open looks.

“Those three guys create so many problems, and the shooters they leave open are deadly,” Spoelstra said. “They take advantage of that.”

Matt Bonner was the Spurs' best 3-point marksman against the Heat, making 3 of 4 attempts as part of an 11-point night.

Cook leaves game: Heat guard Daequan Cook left the game after banging knees with Thomas in the first half and did not return. Cook had been a key contributor for Miami, scoring in double figures in nine consecutive games before Monday night.

Yorae
01-06-2009, 01:33 AM
See, those long arms have other uses....

Manufan909
01-06-2009, 01:38 AM
If Hill makes the same number of 3s as Matt, but shoots 1 less, how isn't he the marksman of the game?

T Park
01-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Kurt Thomas played very well in the 4th quarter, so Hill really avoided a big problem by keeping Thomas from getting a T or worse an ejection.

mrspurs
01-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Ive got a Big LCD tv with HD of course. And even then I still sometimes cant figure out who just shot that 3 ball. Was it, Hill, or Ime or TP? He looked pretty good out there. Hills always gonna bring his A game when playing Mario and Quinn. A guy who went before him and a guy who still cant guard him.

wildbill2u
01-06-2009, 09:18 AM
It's a good sign when a rookie will take responsibility for cooling down a vet. Shows the kid has some leadership.

hater
01-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Hill is a rookie Rondo with a better shot

silverblackfan
01-06-2009, 09:42 AM
I think it was the first night that Hill out played Tony, at least in the stats. He is turning into one hell of a backup guard and one more defensive option for the wing guys.

gingerwave
01-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Hopefully Hill can build on this performance.

timvp
01-06-2009, 09:48 AM
If Hill makes the same number of 3s as Matt, but shoots 1 less, how isn't he the marksman of the game?:lol Good question.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Hill scored 15 points in 17 minutes — including the first 6 1/2 of the fourth quarter

I had to read that twice because I was initially trying to figure out how someone scores 6 1/2 points in a quarter. McDonald is an awesome writer.

Thank goodness for Timvp's recaps.

EricB
01-06-2009, 11:46 AM
The obvious big play from Hill last night was the three pointer after the botched play, but his defense on Chalmers almost made it seem like he wanted to prove to people that he is better than Mario Chalmers and almost like he was trying to prove it to the coaches. I would've loved to seen how HIll would've done on Wade, cause he seems the kind of player Hill could distrupt. Sure there were times Hill got switched onto him, but he never outright drew the assignment.

Ocotillo
01-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Ive got a Big LCD tv with HD of course. And even then I still sometimes cant figure out who just shot that 3 ball. Was it, Hill, or Ime or TP?

Maybe eyeglasses would help? :lol

HD and a big TV, I have a hard time with my small set that I watch the games on because the wife has the big set watching "flip this house" type shows but then again, it's because I am an old fart who doesn't see that well.

TDMVPDPOY
01-06-2009, 12:11 PM
imo pop is holding him back from HILLs full potential......

:( GIVE HILL the starting job damn it.

z0sa
01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Pop and Parker needs to take a step back and let Hill play 15+ minutes every night. Hill has the ability to get to the paint and finish, he gets to the free throw line, and has a silky smooth stroke. He will be another key addition when we rematch the Lakers - they have not a single player who can stop him.

Ginobilly
01-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Pop and Parker needs to take a step back and let Hill play 15+ minutes every night. Hill has the ability to get to the paint and finish, he gets to the free throw line, and has a silky smooth stroke. He will be another key addition when we rematch the Lakers - they have not a single player who can stop him.

Good Point! How many times last year in the playoffs did we see Kobe, Farmar, and Fischer get a break on the defensive end when Jack Vaughn entered the game? Hopefully Hill could step up and keep those guys from collapsing on Duncan by making sometimes just the simple 15 to 18 footer that speedy used to hit.

z0sa
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Good Point! How many times last year in the playoffs did we see Kobe, Farmar, and Fischer get a break on the defensive end when Jack Vaughn entered the game? Hopefully Hill could step up and keep those guys from collapsing on Duncan by making sometimes just the simple 15 to 18 footer that speedy used to hit.

I honestly think Hill is going to win 1-2 playoff games for us with his intelligent, athletic and long armed defense with his ability to get to the paint and draw fouls. When Parker goes out, we still have someone to put the pressure on the defense besides Tim Duncan and Manu.

EricB
01-06-2009, 01:13 PM
imo pop is holding him back from HILLs full potential......

:( GIVE HILL the starting job damn it.

I'm speechless....

Ginobilly
01-06-2009, 01:37 PM
I honestly think Hill is going to win 1-2 playoff games for us with his intelligent, athletic and long armed defense with his ability to get to the paint and draw fouls. When Parker goes out, we still have someone to put the pressure on the defense besides Tim Duncan and Manu.

yeah I think so too. Also, Hill is very good rebounder for his height which should help against the Lakers tall lineup. Defensive rebounding, backup point guard play, and a Gimpy Manu where really the main reasons why the Spurs lost against the Lakers.

jag
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm speechless....

The only reason he posts nonsense like that is to get a reaction from people. He's just a troll.

EricB
01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
The only reason he posts nonsense like that is to get a reaction from people. He's just a troll.

Unfortunately there seems to be more and more of that every day...