PDA

View Full Version : Bush To Establish 3 Marine Monuments In Pacific, Largest Marine Conservation Effort E

Winehole23
01-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Bush To Establish 3 Marine Monuments In Pacific, Largest Marine Conservation Effort Ever (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/05/bush-to-establish-3-marin_n_155452.html)

DINACAPPIELLO (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/05/bush-to-establish-3-marin_n_155452.html#) | January 5, 2009 09:25 PM EST | http://www.huffingtonpost.com/images/v/ap_wire.png

WASHINGTON — Parts of three remote and uninhabited Pacific island chains are being set aside by President George W. Bush as national monuments to protect them from oil and gas extraction and commercial fishing in what will be the largest marine conservation effort in history.
The three areas _ totaling some 195,274 square miles _ include the Mariana Trench and the waters and corals surrounding three uninhabited islands in the Northern Mariana Islands, Rose Atoll in American Samoa and seven islands strung along the equator in the central Pacific Ocean.

Each location harbors unique species and some of the rarest geological formations on Earth _ from the world's largest land crab to a bird that incubates its eggs in the heat of underwater volcanoes.

All will be protected as national monuments _ the same status afforded to statues and cultural sites _ under the 1906 Antiquities Act. The law allows the government to immediately phase out commercial fishing and other extractive uses.

However, recreational fishing, tourism and scientific research with a federal permit could still occur inside the three areas. The designations will also not conflict with U.S. military activities or freedom of navigation, White House officials said.

"These locations are truly among the last pristine areas in the marine environment on Earth," said James Connaughton, chair of the Council on Environmental Quality, who added the resources the administration wanted preserved would be fully protected.

The president plans to make the designation official on Tuesday at a ceremony at the White House.

It will be the second time Bush has used the law to protect marine resources. Two years ago, the president made a huge swath of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands a national monument, barring fishing, oil and gas extraction and tourism from its waters and coral reefs. At the time, that area was the largest conservation area in the world.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/images/v/darr.gif
The three areas to be designated Tuesday are larger, and came with some opposition. Northern Mariana Islands government officials and indigenous communities initially objected to the monument designation, citing concerns about sovereignty, fishing and mineral exploration.

Environmentalists were hoping for more. The protected areas will extend 50 nautical miles off the coral reefs and atolls at the three monuments, which will be officially called the Marianas Marine National Monument, Rose Atoll Marine National Monument, and the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument.

Advocacy groups were pushing for 200 nautical miles, the full extent of the U.S. exclusive economic zone. Commercial fishing will also still be allowed in the waters over the Mariana Trench, the world's deepest underwater canyon. The monument will only protect the rim of the canyon and its depths. At 36,201 feet the canyon is deeper than Mt. Everest is tall and five times the size of the Grand Canyon.

"Commercial fishing was not relevant to the resource we wanted to protect," Connaughton said. He also said the science did not support protecting the full 200 nautical miles.

The move is a boost to the environmental record of a president who has been criticized for not doing enough against air pollution and global warming. He also lifted a moratorium on oil and gas drilling off the Atlantic and Pacific coasts.

It will be up to President-elect Barack Obama to hammer out how the areas will be managed, and to make sure the prohibitions are enforced.

"We and others in the environmental community have been at odds with this administration on lots of things, but if one looks at this one event it is a significant conservation event," said Joshua Reichert, managing director of the Pew Environment Group, which lobbied for the monuments' designation.
"In a more symbolic level, it sends a message that we have finally arrived at a point where we are beginning to think about the sea in the same way we have thought about the land _ that there are special places under threat that need to be protected," Reichert said.

The protection of the Mariana Trench comes a century after President Theodore Roosevelt first protected the Grand Canyon as a national monument in 1908.

boutons_
01-06-2009, 06:59 AM
The oilcos must think there's no oil, worth going after, in those "monuments".

Winehole23
01-06-2009, 11:44 AM
The oilcos must think there's no oil, worth going after, in those "monuments".Why then are they protected from oil and gas extraction?

SnakeBoy
01-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Why then are they protected from oil and gas extraction?

Good question. I'm confident boutons will come up with some retarded theory involving republicans.

Rockhound
01-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Because Bush is really the son of Satan and the oil is his blood from the early days spilled after the war on dinosaurs.

The Son of Satan is positioning his country as a future gate of hell from whence demons will arrive on this astral plane and reclaim the sacred black blood.

boutons_
01-06-2009, 08:25 PM
"Why then are they protected from oil and gas extraction"

because there probably isn't any there. If it was there, dubya would not have protected it. Are you people really this fucking stupid?

Now dubya and Rove will spin for years what a pro-environment champion dubya was.

balli
01-06-2009, 08:29 PM
If it was there, dubya would not have protected it.
+1

Now dubya and Rove will spin for years what a pro-environment champion dubya was.
and +1

Winehole23
01-07-2009, 12:20 AM
because there probably isn't any there. If it was there, dubya would not have protected it. Are you people really this fucking stupid?

Now dubya and Rove will spin for years what a pro-environment champion dubya was.Bush is doing some last minute legacy shopping (cf. aid to Darfur) for sure, but that hardly diminishes what he's done -- marine conservation on an unprecedented scale.

For the record, I did bold the lifting of US offshore moratoria upstream, so our accentuation may not be so different as you think.

I'll let you pretend to be the petro-geologist here, boutons. Maybe the whole preserve is oil and gas free. Maybe it's not. How would I know?

Indeed, how do you know it, boutons?

boutons_
01-07-2009, 06:40 AM
*The new monuments are not nearly as big as they could have been. Mr. Bush could have set their boundaries anywhere from 3 miles from the shores of the territories they encircle to the full 200 miles under United States jurisdiction. He chose 50 miles, excluding huge expanses of deep ocean.

*The protections could have been more stringent. They don’t rule out recreational fishing, for example, and do not include waters above the Mariana Trench.

*Big as they are, the monuments are not nearly enough to offset eight years of Mr. Bush’s bad environmental policies, marked by inaction on climate change, the sacrifice of millions of acres of public lands to oil and gas exploration, and indifference bordering on hostility to endangered species and fragile ecosystems.

... from NYTimes. Similar comments available on many environmental/eco sites.

The very fact that dubya is "protecting" these waters proves to me, without any doubt, that the oilcos told dubya that they don't care about these waters.

Clandestino
01-07-2009, 07:16 AM
boutons is gettingcrazier by the minute!

If bush bought steak dinners for 1 million homeless people biutons would say where's the lobster...bush can do nothing right. I'm positive biutons is this charming in real life as well. He's that co-worker(if he has a job) that is always hitching and complaining. Makes the others miserable to be around.

I guess his mother never taught him about positive thinking.

Winehole23
01-07-2009, 10:43 AM
*The new monuments are not nearly as big as they could have been. Mr. Bush could have set their boundaries anywhere from 3 miles from the shores of the territories they encircle to the full 200 miles under United States jurisdiction. He chose 50 miles, excluding huge expanses of deep ocean.

*The protections could have been more stringent. They don’t rule out recreational fishing, for example, and do not include waters above the Mariana Trench.

*Big as they are, the monuments are not nearly enough to offset eight years of Mr. Bush’s bad environmental policies, marked by inaction on climate change, the sacrifice of millions of acres of public lands to oil and gas exploration, and indifference bordering on hostility to endangered species and fragile ecosystems.

... from NYTimes. Similar comments available on many environmental/eco sites.All pertinent comments IMO.

The very fact that dubya is "protecting" these waters proves to me, without any doubt, that the oilcos told dubya that they don't care about these waters.It makes your spidey-sense tingle, and that is enough for you.

Surely you can understand if that is not enough for others, n'est pas?

I substantially agree with you, boutons, but your dictation model of historical materialism is not persuasive to me. It's cartoonish. Oil companies do not dictate to the US President. Being a bit of an oil man himself, GWB knows how to serve the sector without being told what to do, except by VP Cheney.

I more than believe Bush/Cheney conspired with oil and gas. But suggesting that Bush's conservation policy -- his Christmas eve legacy shopping -- emanates directly from the "oilcos" sounds more like resentment than even-handed judgment to me. Just saying.

Believe me, boutons, I understand the resentment, as a very disappointed person on the right.

Own the resentment, don't let it own you.

LnGrrrR
01-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Surely you can understand if that is not enough for others, n'est pas?

I believe it's spelled n'est ce pas, but I could be wrong. I haven't been in French class for ten years. :D

Winehole23
01-09-2009, 05:24 PM
I believe it's spelled n'est ce pas, but I could be wrong. I haven't been in French class for ten years. :DI'm grateful for the correction, Profe.:tu

InRareForm
09-22-2016, 12:21 PM
https://news.vice.com/video/these-fishermen-say-obamas-new-ocean-preserve-will-leave-them-high-and-dry

boutons_deux
09-22-2016, 12:45 PM
https://news.vice.com/video/these-fishermen-say-obamas-new-ocean-preserve-will-leave-them-high-and-dry

Industrial fisherpeople have already fished out to effective extinction, fucking themselves (not fucked by govt), in several rich fisheries (North Sea, off Cape Cod, S. China sea, etc).

Some shark species (sport fishing and shark fin harvesting for the East Asians) and Yellow Fin tuna, as well as other species, are down as much as 90%.

Furthermore, bycatch is slaughtering 1000s of dolphins and sea turtles.