PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Heat Jan. 5

timvp
01-06-2009, 09:43 AM
In a tightly contested battle, the San Antonio Spurs got a few big plays down the stretch to defeat the Miami Heat by a final score of 91-84. While it wasn’t the prettiest of games, the Spurs showed heart and executed well down the stretch to grab the victory.

The biggest of the big plays came following a Dywane Wade steal on a bad pass by Tony Parker with a minute and a half left in the final quarter. Wade sprinted down the court and was about to complete an acrobatic finish over Parker when Manu Ginobili flew out of nowhere to emphatically block the ball back towards San Antonio’s basket. The Spurs converted on the other end to grow their lead to five points.

The Heat looked like a solid team. They aren’t a championship contender this season but they will make the playoffs as long as Wade remains healthy. Erik Spoelstra has his team defending well and the Heat smartly run their offense through Wade nearly every time down the court.

When it was all said and done, the Spurs have to be happy with this win. It wasn’t quite vintage Spurs Basketball . . . but it was close.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
36 minutes, 19 points, nine rebounds, four assists, two blocks, three turnovers
7-for-15 from the field, 5-for-8 at the line

Tim Duncan’s stat line may be pedestrian but he played a huge part in the victory. When the offense got stagnant, Duncan made a number of big hoops in isolation situations. He also passed well and did commendable work on the offensive glass. Defensively, Duncan was much improved from his last outing. He was solid in his pick-and-roll defense and he protected the rim adequately well. It wasn’t an overpowering performance by Duncan but he was definitely the glue that kept the team together throughout the contest.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
27 minutes, ten points, five rebounds, three assists, three steals, one block
5-for-14 from the field, 0-for-5 on three-pointers

Outside of his three-point shooting, Manu Ginobili had a quality outing. On defense, he was active and aggressive – which was best illustrated by his unbelievable block. Offensively, he was productive when he used his dribble and didn’t settle for outside shots. He also took good care of the ball, finishing with only one turnover despite the swarming Heat defense. Overall, Ginobili had a positive performance highlighted by the biggest play of the game.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
31 minutes, eight points, seven assists, two steals
4-for-9 from the field

Tony Parker had one of his quieter games of the season. He wasn’t overly bad – he just wasn’t doing as much as usual. To start off the contest, Parker was passing it extremely well and finished the game with seven assists and only two turnovers. After going 1-for-6 in the first half, Parker was 3-for-3 in the second half. One of his baskets was a left-handed scoop shot late in the fourth to help seal the victory. Usually the Spurs will need more from Parker but on this night San Antonio survived without a major contribution from their starting point guard.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
19 minutes, seven points, three rebounds
2-for-6 from the field, 1-for-3 on three-pointers

Michael Finley didn’t have a very good game. He missed a few shots and that made him second guess everything he did on the offensive end. Defensively and on the glass he had a few good moments but he also had some lapses. As a result of his uneven play, Finley played less than 27 minutes for the first time since Christmas.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
28 minutes, 11 points, four rebounds
5-for-12 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers

Although Roger Mason, Jr. battled early foul trouble, he kept his energy level high and ended up having a good game. Defensively, I thought he was very steady – especially late in the game on Wade. He didn’t do anything fancy but just staying in front of Wade and getting a hand up is a task in itself. Offensively, Mason was a bit erratic but in the final stanza he was 3-for-5, including a momentum changing jumper directly after Ginobili’s block. Overall, it’s exciting to see that Mason is starting to establish himself as the team’s second best perimeter defender in one-on-one situations. If he can continue to improve on that end of the court, Pop will go to him more and more.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
31 minutes, 11 points, five rebounds, two assists
4-for-7 from the field, 3-for-4 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner’s missing energy seems to be resurfacing. Against the Heat, he was the energetic player we saw in the early parts of December. He had his best defensive outing in a long while, although his rebounding still is lacking. If he can combine sufficient rebound with this type of active defense, that could be a good enough complement next to Duncan. On offense against Miami, Bonner played well. He spread the court with his shot and made a couple of good passes when he had players rotating to him. All in all, it was an encouraging outing from Bonner.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
23 minutes, three points, two rebounds
1-for-2 from the field, 1-for-1 on three-pointers

Bruce Bowen historically has had a tough time defending Wade but he played some quality D against him on Monday night. Despite getting called for a few iffy fouls, Bowen kept pestering and helped force Wade into five turnovers and 10-for-26 shooting. He also went around and through screens better than he has in recent weeks. On offense, Bowen continues to make the most out of his limited shot attempts.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
17 minutes, 15 points, seven rebounds
4-for-4 from the field, 3-for-3 on three-pointers, 4-for-5 at the line

Struggling to score in recent weeks, George Hill caught fire against the Heat. His 15 points on perfect 4-for-4 shooting was five more points than he scored in his last six games combined. The return of his three-point shooting was notable. From Dec. 4 through Dec. 17, Hill hit at least one three-pointer in six of seven games. In his last eight games since Dec. 17, he hadn’t hit any three-pointers. His trio of threes against the Heat was a season-high and his 15 points was a high since the 19 he scored against Chicago on Nov. 26. Hill’s scoring was impressive because most of his baskets came under duress. Also impressive were his seven rebounds in 17 minutes of action. Hopefully this breakout game will get Hill back on track and allow him to regain his footing as one of the biggest surprises of the 2008 NBA Draft.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
17 minutes, two points, four rebounds
1-for-3 from the field

Kurt Thomas played better against the Heat than he has recently. He was pounding the glass on both ends and playing with heightened physicality. Offensively, he missed both of his perimeter jumpers but helped out by setting strong screens. This is how Thomas needs to play if he wants to monopolize the minutes behind Duncan and Bonner.

Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg
Eight minutes, five points
2-for-3 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Ime Udoka is in the throes of an underwhelming season but he played well on Monday night. He was aggressive offensively without being reckless. On defense, he bodied his man without fouling and didn’t get beaten off the dribble. It’d be nice if Udoka could play this composed more often when called upon.

Anthony Tolliver
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4371.jpg
Four minutes

Tolliver spent four minutes on the court, in which time the Spurs were outscored 9-0 by the Heat. It wasn’t his fault entirely but the offense just stopped functioning with him out on the court. This obviously wasn’t the type of performance Tolliver wanted before Wednesday’s cut day. Now the Spurs need to decide whether or not to keep him and guarantee the rest of his season’s salary or let him go.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

I thought this game was one of Pop’s better coaching jobs of the season. The best thing he did best was give Hill extended playing time. With Hill playing well and Parker not doing much, it was the right call to let Hill cut into Parker’s minutes. And it was also the right call to let Parker back in to finish off the Heat. I liked the confidence that Pop showed in Mason and Bonner by letting that duo close out the game on the court. Pop also deserves kudos for recognizing Finley’s struggles and keeping him off the court for the final 18 minutes of the game.

Offense

The offense wasn’t great but it flowed just enough to get by the Heat. The Spurs had a few ugly possessions bailed out by players stepping up and knocking down difficult shots. For the game, the Spurs shot 46.7% from the floor, hit 10-of-22 three-pointers and had 19 assists compared to 12 turnovers. It’d be nice if they could have gotten to the line more than 15 times, but the Heat weren’t being too physical and the refs weren’t blowing the whistle very often so the lack of freebies wasn’t too surprising.

Defense

Although it wasn’t championship level defense, the Spurs as a unit gave good effort. The chink in the armor was somewhat slow rotation to open shooters once the Heat penetrated, which explains why Miami got 24 assists on their 36 baskets. That’s an extremely high percentage of assisted buckets for the Spurs to give up. For the game, the Heat shot 44.4% from the floor, hit 6-of-16 three-pointers and only turned it over 12 times. The Spurs did a good job of defending without fouling, which led to only eight free throw attempts for the Heat. It was also nice to see the Spurs win the rebounding battle 41-40.

Drive to Five

The Heat game was a deceptively good win for the Spurs. Even during the championship years, the Heat have played the Spurs tough – especially Wade. San Antonio now has two days off before playing the Los Angeles Clippers in the AT&T Center on Thursday night. With the schedule about to get extremely difficult, that will be another contest the Spurs need to put in the W column.

Believe.

MoSpur
01-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Hill's rebounding is awesome. I love his desire to go after the ball.

dougp
01-06-2009, 10:20 AM
As much as I like Tolliver, and want to see him do well - he's not cutting it. With the emergence of Bonner, I think we need to make the decision to cut him and find a big who will help us.

EricB
01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah I have to agree on tolliver, this game he just didn't show enough to warrant a gauranteed contract...

polandprzem
01-06-2009, 11:15 AM
I've got a quick Q

I haven't seen most spurs games this season and I want to ask you if the spurs have tried to put the ball in the game from baseline like this?

Player with the ball want to inbound but all spurs players are well covered, then all of sudden one of the spurs players steps behind the baseline and he receving the ball and passes right away to the player that was out of the baseline but stepped into the court.

lefty
01-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Manu Ginobili

27 minutes, ten points, five rebounds, three assists, three steals, one block
5-for-14 from the field, 0-for-5 on three-pointers

Outside of his three-point shooting, Manu Ginobili had a quality outing. On defense, he was active and aggressive – which was best illustrated by his unbelievable block. Offensively, he was productive when he used his dribble and didn’t settle for outside shots. He also took good care of the ball, finishing with only one turnover despite the swarming Heat defense. Overall, Ginobili had a positive performance highlighted by the biggest play of the game.

That's what we need from Manu

romain.star
01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
nice recap

AnotherArgie
01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Nice recap, as usual.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
28 minutes, 11 points, four rebounds
5-for-12 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers

Although Roger Mason, Jr. battled early foul trouble, he kept his energy level high and ended up having a good game. Defensively, I thought he was very steady – especially late in the game on Wade. He didn’t do anything fancy but just staying in front of Wade and getting a hand up is a task in itself. Offensively, Mason was a bit erratic but in the final stanza he was 3-for-5, including a momentum changing jumper directly after Ginobili’s dunk. Overall, it’s exciting to see that Mason is starting to establish himself as the team’s second best perimeter defender in one-on-one situations. If he can continue to improve on that end of the court, Pop will go to him more and more.

I think you meant "block" in there instead of "dunk".

Manufan909
01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I loved how Hill battled the pressure late in the game when he was trapped, Beno would've shit himself and gave up the ball.

Ginobilly
01-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I loved how Hill battled the pressure late in the game when he was trapped, Beno would've shit himself and gave up the ball.

Or called a timeout when the Spurs just called a timeout before going into the play.

z0sa
01-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Hill >>> Beno

gingerwave
01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Great recap. Again!

lefty
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Hill >>> Beno

Really? :wow

Brazil
01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Really? :wow

Hill>>>JVG

EricB
01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Hill is better than jeff van gundy?

lefty
01-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Hill>>>JVG

Wow

Brazil
01-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Wow

another one Hill>>>>>>Dragic

tlongII
01-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Weren't you supposed to write this earlier so Peter Burns could use it on the radio?

Manufan909
01-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Weren't you supposed to write this earlier so Peter Burns could use it on the radio?

I thought so, too.:lol

Maybe this'll teach him to catch the game and not rely on others(even the great timvp), especially having a radio show and all.:hat

lefty
01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
another one Hill>>>>>>Dragic

I agree here :D

ClingingMars
01-06-2009, 07:20 PM

:lmao

-Mars

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-06-2009, 08:23 PM
"The best thing he did best was give Hill extended playing time. With Hill playing well and Parker not doing much, it was the right call to let Hill cut into Parker’s minutes. And it was also the right call to let Parker back in to finish off the Heat. I liked the confidence that Pop showed in Mason and Bonner by letting that duo close out the game on the court. Pop also deserves kudos for recognizing Finley’s struggles and keeping him off the court for the final 18 minutes of the game."

Totallt agree. Pop has messed this up a few times this year, but he did it well last night. Maybe he's getting to know the team! :D

Yorae
01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Offensively, Mason was a bit erratic but in the final stanza he was 3-for-5, including a momentum changing jumper directly after Ginobili’s dunk.

Pardon, did Manu dunk? I was only on gamecast.

Manufan909
01-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Pardon, did Manu dunk? I was only on gamecast.

It was actually a block.

timvp
01-07-2009, 02:09 AM
As much as I like Tolliver, and want to see him do well - he's not cutting it. With the emergence of Bonner, I think we need to make the decision to cut him and find a big who will help us.It looks like he survived tonight. Now he needs to survive the next 16 hours.

If it were up to me, I'd probably keep him. He went through summer league, training camp and preseason so he knows the system pretty well. With Mahinmi possibly out for the season, it'd be a risk to waive him. There's a chance that the grass won't be greener and then the Spurs could be stuck with only four halfway competent bigs.

I've got a quick Q

I haven't seen most spurs games this season and I want to ask you if the spurs have tried to put the ball in the game from baseline like this?

Player with the ball want to inbound but all spurs players are well covered, then all of sudden one of the spurs players steps behind the baseline and he receving the ball and passes right away to the player that was out of the baseline but stepped into the court.I haven't seen the Spurs run that play for years. Last time I specifically remember a Spurs coach drawing up that play was John Lucas ... and I remember JR Reid was involved in the play.

I think Duncan and Rose did it about a decade ago but I don't think it was drawn up . . .

I think you meant "block" in there instead of "dunk".Thanks. Fixed.

Speaking of Manu dunks, does he have a dunk since his first game back? Can't think of one off the top of my head.

Weren't you supposed to write this earlier so Peter Burns could use it on the radio?His check bounced so I published after his show ended.

Yorae
01-07-2009, 02:12 AM
Speaking of Manu dunks, does he have a dunk since his first game back? Can't think of one off the top of my head.

He did dunk on his very first game back. I mayber wrong but i think it's his first offensive possesion....

Manufan909
01-07-2009, 02:12 AM
It looks like he survived tonight. Now he needs to survive the next 16 hours.

If it were up to me, I'd probably keep him. He went through summer league, training camp and preseason so he knows the system pretty well. With Mahinmi possibly out for the season, it'd be a risk to waive him. There's a chance that the grass won't be greener and then the Spurs could be stuck with only four halfway competent bigs.

Do you agree with whoever said he has a nice stroke, and that he just needs to calm down?

timvp
01-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Do you agree with whoever said he has a nice stroke, and that he just needs to calm down?His stroke isn't that nice. He's pretty inconsistent in his motion. Sometimes he'll shoot it quick and then sometimes he has a hitch in it.

Calming down would probably help but it's tough to say. You'd think he'd be calmed down by now. Maybe if the Spurs keep him and his contract becomes guaranteed he'll settle down and shoot it like he did in summer league and Austin.

It not guaranteed that he'll ever be able to shoot on the NBA level. There are plenty of players who can shoot in summer league and in the D-League but can't do it at the highest level.

ElNono
01-07-2009, 02:23 AM
I rather have Mason shoot every trey that Tolliver is taking, even if he ends up missing. Mason has a great release, and when he misses, it's normally not by much...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-07-2009, 02:26 AM
I rather have Mason shoot every trey that Tolliver is taking, even if he ends up missing. Mason has a great release, and when he misses, it's normally not by much...

Agreed.

If we keep Tolliver he's going to have to play like Bruce Bowen and only launch it when wide open in his spots.

Strange game against the heat, but loved the way we elevated the D near the end and closed them out like we should.

Obstructed_View
01-07-2009, 02:44 AM
How much time does he need to calm down? At this point it's looking more and more like SL was a fluke.

timvp
01-07-2009, 02:51 AM
How much time does he need to calm down? At this point it's looking more and more like SL was a fluke.

Yeah but then he screwed the equation and shot well in Austin. If he would have shot poorly with the Toros, it would be easy to give up on him by now.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-07-2009, 02:54 AM
Hey LJ, seeing as you are here, any interest in Roger Mason Jnr for a pick in DL II?

I love Ro Money, but he's no good to me in a rebuilding phase. ;)

EricB
01-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Yeah but then he screwed the equation and shot well in Austin. If he would have shot poorly with the Toros, it would be easy to give up on him by now.

Agreed, along with the fact its too late in the season to insert a new big in the equation from the D League. More than likely said player would struggle with the defense and offense for a while.

Manufan909
01-07-2009, 03:15 AM
Agreed, along with the fact its too late in the season to insert a new big in the equation from the D League. More than likely said player would struggle with the defense and offense for a while.

This is a very logical arguement, but I can't help but remember that Toll was picked over Malik AND The Great Gist, that still ticks me off.:bang

timvp
01-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Hey LJ, seeing as you are here, any interest in Roger Mason Jnr for a pick in DL II?

I love Ro Money, but he's no good to me in a rebuilding phase. ;)

Hmmm ... let me see . . .

This is a very logical arguement, but I can't help but remember that Toll was picked over Malik AND The Great Gist, that still ticks me off.:bangPop seems to have really liked Tolliver since the start of training camp. That could help him with the deadline looming.

Obstructed_View
01-07-2009, 03:47 AM
Tolliver's been so much better in all other areas than I thought he'd be that I could almost get past his shooting. I'm convinced that he has KT range and if he hit those midrange jumpers consistently he'd see lots of time.

Yorae
01-07-2009, 03:49 AM
It seem's to me that shooting two is almost taboo to him. He almost always want to shoot a three.

polandprzem
01-07-2009, 03:50 AM
I haven't seen the Spurs run that play for years. Last time I specifically remember a Spurs coach drawing up that play was John Lucas ... and I remember JR Reid was involved in the play.

I think Duncan and Rose did it about a decade ago but I don't think it was drawn up . . .

I'm sure it was drawn up in 1999 - they did it more then once or twice.
I need to check my old VHSes.
Thanks for the answer - I thought nobody understood it.

timvp
01-07-2009, 03:59 AM
http://spurstalk.com/anthony-tolliver-chart.jpg

Tolliver is doing a good job of making shots at the rim, which was a question mark heading into the season due to his lack of height.

But outside of that, I guess he should stick to shooting threes from straightaway :lol

Popo>Phil
01-07-2009, 12:44 PM
He did dunk on his very first game back. I mayber wrong but i think it's his first offensive possesion....

:toast First against Memphis

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Hmmm ... let me see . . .

(Ro Money, DL II...)

You never finished that thought - yes or no? I thought you might be able to use him, but if you don't want him I'll shop him around. :)

Solid D
01-08-2009, 10:04 AM
I've got a quick Q

Player with the ball want to inbound but all spurs players are well covered, then all of sudden one of the spurs players steps behind the baseline and he receving the ball and passes right away to the player that was out of the baseline but stepped into the court.

I haven't seen the Spurs run that play for years. Last time I specifically remember a Spurs coach drawing up that play was John Lucas ... and I remember JR Reid was involved in the play.

I haven't seen the Spurs do it in a long time, other than when a couple of players hand it off to each other (confusion or whatever) so that the designated "Big", the "4" in Pop's world, can inbound after a basket by the opponent.

Since it is allowed after a made basket, there isn't much time to call the play (unless a timeout is called after the 1st of 2 Free Throws or something like that). That is one of two reasons why I think the option to pass the ball to a teammate behind the line isn't used very often. It's also a bit limiting if the ball is passed more than a few feet behind the line or near the corner end-line. That's because the angle of the inbounds pass now becomes limited to only one side of the defender and you certainly want to avoid a sideline trap. There are more passing angle options from the mid-point of the baseline.

For those that didn't know about the rule that allows it, here it is:

http://www.nba.com/media/2008-09-NBARuleBook.pdf
Rule 8, Section III-c. After a score, field goal or free throw, the latter coming as the result of a personal foul, any player of the team not credited with the score shall put the ball into play from any point out-of-bounds at the endline of the court where the point(s) were scored. He may pass the ball to a teammate behind the endline; however, the five-second throw-in rule applies.