PDA

View Full Version : What is a History degree good for?

chode_regulator
01-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I was thinking of maybe getting a history degree instead of an aviation related degree, just in case aviation completely falls on its face. But what is a History degree good for? Or maybe an English degree?

In other words are those just kinda generic "look at me I proved I can get a degree" diploma's or are they more of a feeder into specific job areas? And bc I know someone will say it, I dont want to be a teacher.

clambake
01-06-2009, 11:14 AM
why not teach? you can re-write history and claim it as gospel.

chode_regulator
01-06-2009, 11:15 AM

ahaha yeah thats a good idea!

I Love Me Some Me
01-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Why not write gospel and claim it as history?:lol

mexicanjunior
01-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Probably good for teaching jobs...

clambake
01-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Why not write gospel and claim it as history?:lol

that's been done, ad nauseum.

Blake
01-06-2009, 11:32 AM
"would you like fries with that? would you also like to hear a story of George Washington crossing the Delaware?"

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-06-2009, 11:35 AM
1. waiter
2. bartender
3. car salesman
4. rv salesman
5. sporting goods clerk at Wal Mart
6. insulation installer
7. assistant manager at the Red Lobster
8. volunteer fire department

All good callings by the way.

leemajors
01-06-2009, 11:40 AM
1. waiter
2. bartender
3. car salesman
4. rv salesman
6. insulation installer

i think you nailed any liberal arts degree there.

Richard Cranium
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM
A degree is just a piece of paper and doesn't prove anything.

TDMVPDPOY
01-06-2009, 11:47 AM
get an aviation degree u noob, and work as a air controller, they get paid good money and theres plenty of jobs in that field....

Blake
01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
get an aviation degree u noob, and work as a air controller, they get paid good money and theres plenty of jobs in that field....

high stress, but yeah, good money/benefits

easjer
01-06-2009, 11:52 AM
My BA in history hasn't done much other than prove I can get a degree. For anything career -related other than high school or lower teaching, you need a MA minimum. Fields are limited, btw.

I currently do departmental business administration in higher education. So - HR and accounting, or not degree related at all. Just required for the position.

CubanMustGo
01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Not sure what kind of 'aviation' degree you're looking at, but if it has to do with maintenance, there will probably be MORE demand rather than less given the current economy as companies and people will be trying to make their planes last longer rather than buy new ones.

chode_regulator
01-06-2009, 12:02 PM
ehhh...do you even know what youre talking about? plus controllers are gay and there is no way i would spend all day sitting in a dark room staring at a screen of blips.

Not sure what kind of 'aviation' degree you're looking at, but if it has to do with maintenance, there will probably be MORE demand rather than less given the current economy as companies and people will be trying to make their planes last longer rather than buy new ones.

its just a bullshit degree. professional aeronautics. doesnt mean anything. i already ahve my a&p licnese so i don't see any real point in getting a maint degree.

lebomb
01-06-2009, 12:06 PM
A degree is just a piece of paper and doesn't prove anything.

Tell that to your Doctor next time you go in for a checkup................

ashbeeigh
01-06-2009, 12:06 PM
getting a Masters. All the people I know that got degrees in History in 2007 are getting their Masters in something right now, whether it be history, theology, higher education, etc.

Through my time in the real world (i.e. two years) I've noticed that things that have an actual ending, like "nursing, medical billing, computer science, etc." get the job faster. You're trained for it so much more easily. Go for the aviation, hands down. It may not sound glamorous, but while all my friends and I are making 27,000 a year in our fancy non-profit job (a la stuff white people like) you'll be making 60,000 a year.

chode_regulator
01-06-2009, 12:09 PM
getting a Masters. All the people I know that got degrees in History in 2007 are getting their Masters in something right now, whether it be history, theology, higher education, etc.

Through my time in the real world (i.e. two years) I've noticed that things that have an actual ending, like "nursing, medical billing, computer science, etc." get the job faster. You're trained for it so much more easily. Go for the aviation, hands down. It may not sound glamorous, but while all my friends and I are making 27,000 a year in our fancy non-profit job (a la stuff white people like) you'll be making 60,000 a year.

hmmm...i guess maybe i should have posted this in the original post but i am planning on being a pilot. even if i wasnt a pilot what job would i make 60k a year in with an aeronautics degree? and if yall dont already know this, pilots don't make a ton. ill be lucky if i clear 20k my first year with a regional type carrier or cargo carrier. and thats after having to do time building from around 250hrs to over 1000.

ashbeeigh
01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
hmmm...i guess maybe i should have posted this in the original post but i am planning on being a pilot. even if i wasnt a pilot what job would i make 60k a year in with an aeronautics degree? and if yall dont already know this, pilots don't make a ton. ill be lucky if i clear 20k my first year with a regional type carrier or cargo carrier. and thats after having to do time building from around 250hrs to over 1000.

I think most people who major in history have dreams of working in museums, or in politics or something like that. It takes a lot of experience, persistence, and the right network to get to those kinds of jobs.

Why not add history as a minor if its something you love? Then when you travel and have time you can see all the things you study?

I'm not steering you away from history, I mean, I'm still not sure what I should have majored in. Some days I think I should have majored in biology or neuroscience and others I think I should have majored in PR/Communications or even Political Science or Public Administration.

chode_regulator
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
i dont have any real reason for picking history. i just am looking around at other non aero degrees. somehitng to fall back on if my pilot career doesnt work out and my mech career doesnt work out either.

TDMVPDPOY
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
pilots make a tonne of m oney man, wtf are you on about

you hear about them in the news sometime laundering money or flying shitloads of drugs in and out of the country.....

Richard Cranium
01-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Tell that to your Doctor next time you go in for a checkup................

F**** that crap. Paying a bunch of money for some "aid" to give me a diagnosis and never see the real Doc? No thanks.

I know people with Masters who aren't making that much more than I am.

easjer
01-06-2009, 12:31 PM
History isn't a fallback career oriented degree. No liberal arts degree is. They aren't useless, I'm glad I got my degree in history, as that is what interested me (and I don't think education should be about career, but that's a different argument), but it certainly isn't a career type thing. It'll get as far as any BA will - which isn't terribly far these days.

ashbeeigh
01-06-2009, 12:35 PM
i dont have any real reason for picking history. i just am looking around at other non aero degrees. somehitng to fall back on if my pilot career doesnt work out and my mech career doesnt work out either.

In all honesty, anyone (you included) would have to be really dumb or not show up to work to not have either of those degrees pan out.

TDMVPDPOY
01-06-2009, 12:38 PM
why dont you go learn a trade or something?

i think its better than finding a blue/white collar job position....

I. Hustle
01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Absolutely nothing say it again HUH

JoeChalupa
01-06-2009, 12:58 PM
I wish I had a degree but I'm doing okay for having a HS diploma only. But a trade is good alternative if you are not the college degree type. My brother is a mechanic and makes real good money.

mrsmaalox
01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
My brother has a History degree. Ever since he was a kid, his "thing" has been the Viet Nam War. So that interest spurred him towards history in college. But then with a degree and no job he went to auto mechanics trade school. He worked his way really fast into some kind of regional manager job with one of those "tune up while you wait places", probably because of the degree. A few years later he was fed up with that, married into a family in the propety mangement business and went to HVAC school to contribute to the business. Got a divorce, so then he left that business and got a job at with some Catholic schools in building maintenance. He ended up being the director of maintenance, because of the degree, of the oldest Catholic school in the state, that used to be a convent or something. So when funding came thru for a total building rehab, he fell into the job of director of the special project. The mechanics of the building had to be totally modernized but maintain the historical architecture. It was a dream job; he overlooked a multimillion dollar project, and worked with contractors, architects and historical societies to redo the the place. That lasted about 5 years and by the time he was done, no amt of money could keep him there, cuz he was sick of it. So then he went to the Firefighter's Academy and became the oldest graduate they've ever had! And he's very happy now. :)

Jekka
01-06-2009, 01:33 PM
You have to know how to sell a liberal arts degree if you get one - know that there are a lot of people that don't give a shit about history (especially in Texas where a lot of people learn it from some coach who doesn't really have much of an interest in it), so you need to be able to sell yourself on the basis of critical thinking, analytical ability, writing skills, etc.

chode_regulator
01-06-2009, 02:08 PM
In all honesty, anyone (you included) would have to be really dumb or not show up to work to not have either of those degrees pan out.

ok first off there's no guarantee in aviation about anything. at any given time a pilot can be furloughed. usually tehy do this based on seniority and is more often than not affected by supply and demand.
also, a mech at the local fbo isnt going to make too much money. in fact if you pull in more than 50k/year as a a&p youre doing really good.
neither one of these jobs need a dgree in aviation related industry. in fact most will tell you to get a job in anything but aviation. bc in all honesty, there is a great chance you will leave aviation for one reason or another.

so, im looking for a degree I can get that isn't too involved. IE lawyer, doctor, psychologist. If I need to get a masters later on in life so be it. Texas will pay for me to get it bc im a vet. But i need a degree to start off with now that can be a backbone for later in life if needed. All my life Ive wanted to fly and never really looked at other jobs/degrees. However I do want a backup in case my leg gets amputated, or I lose an eye, or I get a DUI and get my ATP pulled, or I just get fed up with the lifestyle.

tlongII
01-06-2009, 02:27 PM
If you get a degree in history you will need to go to grad school.

ashbeeigh
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
ok first off there's no guarantee in aviation about anything. at any given time a pilot can be furloughed. usually tehy do this based on seniority and is more often than not affected by supply and demand.
also, a mech at the local fbo isnt going to make too much money. in fact if you pull in more than 50k/year as a a&p youre doing really good.
neither one of these jobs need a dgree in aviation related industry. in fact most will tell you to get a job in anything but aviation. bc in all honesty, there is a great chance you will leave aviation for one reason or another.

The point I was making here is it's one of those jobs where you won't have to really "job hunt" for it. Like Jekka said, you have to know how to "sell" a liberal arts degree. There's really no selling involved in your degree, either you can do it or you can't.

I see what you are doing here...trying to have a fall back, if you can't do the pilot or mechanic thing, then what else can you do? Probably be a teacher or something with the history degree.

so, im looking for a degree I can get that isn't too involved. IE lawyer, doctor, psychologist. .

Wow. I don't even know how to respond to that. Most things you go to college for are going to be "involved" in some way, even history. I was going to suggest you maybe look into business as a fall back, but now I don't know if that's something you want to get "involved" in.

johnsmith
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Damn near every project manager on industrial size construction projects I've ever known have History degrees.

They make lots and lots of money too.

2centsworth
01-06-2009, 02:34 PM
If you get a degree in history you will need to go to grad school.

I second that.

A history degree will help him build a strong foundation for several different career paths.

MiamiHeat
01-06-2009, 02:42 PM
i would think you would want to be some sort of scholar in research right? so you have to find grants or other places for funding your research. there are places for that

whottt
01-06-2009, 04:47 PM
You could be President of the USA.

Sin,

W.

baseline bum
01-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I was thinking of maybe getting a history degree instead of an aviation related degree, just in case aviation completely falls on its face. But what is a History degree good for? Or maybe an English degree?

In other words are those just kinda generic "look at me I proved I can get a degree" diploma's or are they more of a feeder into specific job areas? And bc I know someone will say it, I dont want to be a teacher.

I don't know about the degree, but history classes are great places to pick up insanely hot chicks, especially if you tell them your major is engineering.

Richard Cranium
01-06-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't know about the degree, but history classes are great places to pick up insanely hot chicks, especially if you tell them your major is engineering.

I have a great history with hot chicks. In fact, you could call me a legend.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
My brother has a History degree. Ever since he was a kid, his "thing" has been the Viet Nam War. So that interest spurred him towards history in college. But then with a degree and no job he went to auto mechanics trade school. He worked his way really fast into some kind of regional manager job with one of those "tune up while you wait places", probably because of the degree. A few years later he was fed up with that, married into a family in the propety mangement business and went to HVAC school to contribute to the business. Got a divorce, so then he left that business and got a job at with some Catholic schools in building maintenance. He ended up being the director of maintenance, because of the degree, of the oldest Catholic school in the state, that used to be a convent or something. So when funding came thru for a total building rehab, he fell into the job of director of the special project. The mechanics of the building had to be totally modernized but maintain the historical architecture. It was a dream job; he overlooked a multimillion dollar project, and worked with contractors, architects and historical societies to redo the the place. That lasted about 5 years and by the time he was done, no amt of money could keep him there, cuz he was sick of it. So then he went to the Firefighter's Academy and became the oldest graduate they've ever had! And he's very happy now. :)

Construction....check

Firefighter....check

Damn I'm good.

johnsmith
01-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Construction....check

Firefighter....check

Damn I'm good.

What's wrong with construction management?

johnsmith
01-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Or a fireman?

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-06-2009, 05:13 PM
1. waiter
2. bartender
3. car salesman
4. rv salesman
6. insulation installer

E20
01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Be a history teacher or historian.

Brodels
01-06-2009, 08:13 PM
You have to know how to sell a liberal arts degree if you get one - know that there are a lot of people that don't give a shit about history (especially in Texas where a lot of people learn it from some coach who doesn't really have much of an interest in it), so you need to be able to sell yourself on the basis of critical thinking, analytical ability, writing skills, etc.

I think this is pretty much spot-on. History was my area of study at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, and I have never had a job in history. I currently have a good gig in public relations.

A history degree, if you work hard to get it, will teach you to write and solve problems. This is something I stressed in my job interviews, and I think this resonated with many of my interviewers over the years.

I think my history degree prepared me to do a variety of things, and if I could go back and do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. That having been said, if you are looking at a specific occupation, particularly a technical or trade job, history probably isn't the right choice for you. If your primary goal is to get a good paying job with the least amount of education possible, history isn't for you. Choose history if you love it, have a desire to learn, and want to have a well-rounded skill set.

The bottom line is that a degree is what you make of it. If you work hard and go above and beyond to differentiate yourself, employers will notice.

ploto
01-06-2009, 08:14 PM
It really depends on whether you are in college for an education or for job training.

PS: For what is a history degree good?

chode_regulator
01-06-2009, 08:45 PM
The point I was making here is it's one of those jobs where you won't have to really "job hunt" for it.

Wow. I don't even know how to respond to that. Most things you go to college for are going to be "involved" in some way, even history. I was going to suggest you maybe look into business as a fall back, but now I don't know if that's something you want to get "involved" in.

umm...thats exactly what being a pilot is. i dont know why so many people think you just get all your ratings and licenses and then delta or AA just come knocking on your door.

i knew that would come out wrong, but what i was trying to say is....im already 26. i dont have teh time left to pursue aviation and if in 10 years i dont make it or decide to quit, then have to go back and go through med school, then an intern, then residency. thats what i meant by involved. if you are going to try to tell me that history degree is as involved as pursuing a MD then i am going to stop listenting to you.

chode_regulator
01-06-2009, 08:46 PM
I second that.

A history degree will help him build a strong foundation for several different career paths.

yeah thats waht im looking at. b asically somehting ot setup a foundation for in case pilot falls through and mech doesnt pay the bills.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-06-2009, 08:55 PM
why dont you go learn a trade or something?

i think its better than finding a blue/white collar job position....

A trade is a blue collar job. You talk so much BS... every freakin post. :rolleyes

As for any generalist undergrad degree, all it's useful for is proving that you can analyse, research and structure an argument, and that you have the persistence and motivation to study for 3-4 years beyond what you have to. That is essentially what any generalist degree is about.

Richard Cranium
01-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Is there something wrong with a blue collar job?

Biernutz
01-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Liberal Arts Major = H.R Department career.

http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/jobs-for-history-majors.asp

ashbeeigh
01-06-2009, 09:39 PM
i knew that would come out wrong, but what i was trying to say is....im already 26. i dont have teh time left to pursue aviation and if in 10 years i dont make it or decide to quit, then have to go back and go through med school, then an intern, then residency. thats what i meant by involved.

You make 26 sound really old. That's only 2 years older then me.

Anyway. I thought you were speaking of the actual studying, not the school. "involved" as in school yes, for the law, psychology, and medicine. But there are no hard and fast rules on when you can get your Masters, PhD or MD. I went to school with a couple moms (with teenage daughters..probably in their late 30s early 40s) who ended up going to Grad school after undergrad.

If you're just not "set" on being a pilot I would highly recommend taking some career tests to see what you like.

Richard Cranium
01-06-2009, 09:51 PM
blue collar workers keep this country going.

JoeChalupa
01-06-2009, 09:57 PM

Not a damn thing.

chode_regulator
01-06-2009, 10:06 PM
You make 26 sound really old. That's only 2 years older then me.

Anyway. I thought you were speaking of the actual studying, not the school. "involved" as in school yes, for the law, psychology, and medicine. But there are no hard and fast rules on when you can get your Masters, PhD or MD. I went to school with a couple moms (with teenage daughters..probably in their late 30s early 40s) who ended up going to Grad school after undergrad.

If you're just not "set" on being a pilot I would highly recommend taking some career tests to see what you like.

i just dont thnk youre quite understanding what im getting at here. theres lots of reasons people fall out of aviation. its the only thing i can think of where i would be sane, but then again i dont know the lifestyle yet. i dont know all the innerworings, and again theres lots of outside reasons to leave/fail.
and in teh event i do leave that industry, i dont really want to hvae to rely on an aeronautics degree. so now im looking around at degrees for literally the first time in my life.

ashbeeigh
01-06-2009, 11:40 PM
i just dont thnk youre quite understanding what im getting at here. theres lots of reasons people fall out of aviation. its the only thing i can think of where i would be sane, but then again i dont know the lifestyle yet. i dont know all the innerworings, and again theres lots of outside reasons to leave/fail.
and in teh event i do leave that industry, i dont really want to hvae to rely on an aeronautics degree. so now im looking around at degrees for literally the first time in my life.

I understand you 100%. I don't think you understand that I was telling you to not jump into history just because it sounded like a good idea at the time, and to do some research on other things.

And learn how to spell "the." You'll be using it a lot if you pick history, or any liberal arts major. You'll be writing a lot of papers.

Kori Ellis
01-07-2009, 12:04 AM
The job market is flooded with college graduates these days. So any degree you get in undergrad, you should probably be already thinking of grad school. My undergrad degree is in English and I have my MBA.

With English, History, and most Liberal Arts degrees, you can build a good foundation for going on to law school, business school, teaching, or whatever. But your specific major doesn't really matter that much as far as getting in job goes (unless you are talking about science/math/computers). For example, I took a lot of Math/Science even though I was an English major. Find a major that you enjoy the coursework and know that you'll probably end up in grad school, or working in a field that is not related to your undergrad major.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-07-2009, 12:44 AM
CR, Criel's older brother got a history degree, IIRC. And he went on to become a lawyer in a part time firm.

MannyIsGod
01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Unless you're getting something like a CS, Engineering, or some similar degree you bet your ass you better plan on grad school. A Masters is the new Bachelors.

Gordon Gekko
01-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I've made my millions the old fashioned way and I didn't need no damn degree.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-07-2009, 09:15 AM

Nope, I was simply pointing out TDMVPetc.'s stupidity in lumping blue and white collar together and not knowing what they mean. He's been on a real losing streak lately, bad even for him.

There's nothing wrong with any job IMHO - if you're working, who can have a problem with that?

chode_regulator
01-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I've made my millions the old fashioned way and I didn't need no damn degree.

hahhaha

i wish i could do some insider trading....just not get caught

Man of Steel
01-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Go to law school