PDA

View Full Version : NFL Truths: Peyton's a choker, LT is done in S.D.

ducks
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
7. LaDainian Tomlinson will never start another game in a San Diego uniform.

Don't expect to see L.T. donning those powder blues next season. (Denis Poroy / Associated Press)

Man, this is a bad day for me. LT and Peyton Manning are two of my favorite players, but I have to keep it real.

LT's injury saved the Chargers. With a healthy LT, Sproles never gets his chance to dominate the Colts. Darren "Seabiscuit" Sproles is an every-down back. Yes, he's small, but the Biscuit, like the legendary undersized thoroughbred, is made to run with the big dogs.

I've been watching Seabiscuit make fools of bigger men ever since he starred at Olathe North High School, 20 minutes from my home. When he signed with Kansas State, I had my doubts. He put a clown suit on me and everyone in the Big 12.

What he did to the Colts on Saturday — 328 all-purpose yards — did not surprise anyone who saw him play in high school and college. The Biscuit is off the chains.

LT should be on the trading block this offseason. He'd be a wonderful addition to the Patriots.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9033410/NFL-Truths:-Peyton's-a-choker,-LT-is-done-in-S.D.

stretch
01-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't see how Peyton is a choker. He played pretty well in that game. It's really not his fault that the defense couldn't do crap. But he led the offense pretty efficiently, and on their last chance to make a drive, his O-line was absolutely awful, completely letting guys go unblocked. There is nothing Peyton can do about that. Yeah, he kinda choked in the past against the Pats, but I don't feel he is a choker anymore at all. And not having a good defense is what hurts him most. All great QBs have had elite defenses to help provide you with less pressure and better field position. Peyton has never really had that. His defense has always been massively inconsistent, or flat out, crappy.

monosylab1k
01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't see how Peyton is a choker.

2006 aside, Peyton's done nothing but play average-to-mediocre in the playoffs.

At least he got 2006, but that was an aberration. Him and Dungy are both playoff duds who got on a hot streak at the right time one season. Good for them.

stretch
01-06-2009, 01:46 PM
2006 aside, Peyton's done nothing but play average-to-mediocre in the playoffs.

At least he got 2006, but that was an aberration. Him and Dungy are both playoff duds who got on a hot streak at the right time one season. Good for them.

Again, not having a defense makes a big difference. He has consistently been put in a position where the majority of the time he takes the field, he has an 80+ yard field to work with, and HAS to find a way to put points on the board, because the defense is so unreliable. When you have a defense that gives you short fields to work with, and can keep you from having so much pressure to score every single time, its much different. The ONE year that their defense showed any kind of consistency, they won the Superbowl. Other than that year, his defense has been extremely inconsistent.

I've always felt if you gave him the kind of defense that Brady had, he would have just as many rings. Hell, imagine if you replace Ben with him on the Steelers all these years, they would probably have another 3-4 rings by now.

SpursFanFirst
01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't see how Peyton is a choker. He played pretty well in that game. It's really not his fault that the defense couldn't do crap. But he led the offense pretty efficiently, and on their last chance to make a drive, his O-line was absolutely awful, completely letting guys go unblocked. There is nothing Peyton can do about that. Yeah, he kinda choked in the past against the Pats, but I don't feel he is a choker anymore at all. And not having a good defense is what hurts him most. All great QBs have had elite defenses to help provide you with less pressure and better field position. Peyton has never really had that. His defense has always been massively inconsistent, or flat out, crappy.

:tu I think the defense hurt them more than anything. As you said, they're totally inconsistent. From week to week, they're either the best in the league or downright pitiful.
Other than a couple players this past week, the defense downright sucked.
That's the unfortunate part.
This doesn't rest with Peyton, and it doesn't rest with Dungy.

And...what the hell was with the Rb position? Geez! 2 freakin' yards, and they couldn't get it? What a joke!

jack sommerset
01-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Amazing. All the success Peyton has had on the feild,awards and even a Super Bowl title people actually call this guy a choker. What a crazy world we live in.

J.T.
01-06-2009, 05:20 PM
No, the reason the Colts lost that game is because the Colts had a 3rd and 2 from the Indy 9 yard line that they dropped back to throw on and Manning was sacked at the 1. In any of the past ten Colts seasons, that would have been a sweep or a draw to Addai/Rhodes/James/Faulk and would've been a first down.

That would've been first and 10 at the two minute warning and essentially game over. Fucking Dungy.

stretch
01-06-2009, 05:24 PM
No, the reason the Colts lost that game is because the Colts had a 3rd and 2 from the Indy 9 yard line that they dropped back to throw on and Manning was sacked at the 1. In any of the past ten Colts seasons, that would have been a sweep or a draw to Addai/Rhodes/James/Faulk and would've been a first down.

That would've been first and 10 at the two minute warning and essentially game over. Fucking Dungy.

Yeah, and who was it that COMPLETELY missed their blocking assignment? That guy came in untouched. Pathetic.

I've always felt that the Colts O-Line is overrated, and actually quite average, and looks a lot better than it really is, just because Manning is so good at reading defenses and getting rid of the ball quickly.

J.T.
01-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah, and who was it that COMPLETELY missed their blocking assignment? That guy came in untouched. Pathetic.

I've always felt that the Colts O-Line is overrated, and actually quite average, and looks a lot better than it really is, just because Manning is so good at reading defenses and getting rid of the ball quickly.

Well they were minus two starters in that game. Charlie Johnson and Dan Federkeil are shit. Especially Charlie Johnson whose stock is massively inflated because he did a good job filling in for Jake Scott in the Super Bowl against a Bears team that pretty much quit after Hayden got that TAINT in the 4th quarter.

J.T.
01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
But you know, none of this would be relevant to the discussion if the officials didn't decide to jew the Colts to high hell every time they got a stop on 3rd down in OT.

Fabbs
01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
But you know, none of this would be relevant to the discussion if the officials didn't decide to jew the Colts to high hell every time they got a stop on 3rd down in OT.
Vagasil, isle 8.

IronMexican
01-06-2009, 07:42 PM
It's not the entire OL that sucks for Indy. The right side is great. Tony Ugoh is a great LT. Only ones better than him at his age area are Cladh, Thomas and Long.

Man In Black
01-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Hey #47...umm...you missed your block.X54Nsfjw5uE

ClingingMars
01-06-2009, 11:43 PM
the author of that article is a total douchebag.

Jason Whitlock brings his edgy and thought-provoking style to FOXSports.com. Columnist for the Kansas City Star, he has won the National Journalism Award for Commentary for "his ability to seamlessly integrate sports and social commentary and to challenge widely held assumptions along the racial divide."

fuck him. all he does is complain about Deadspin every chance he gets.

also, for added fun:

http://deadspin.com/5085901/and-just-when-you-thought-youve-seen-everything-on-facebook

-Mars

EricB
01-07-2009, 02:41 AM
I fail to see how the Colt's loss was any fault to Peyton Manning. That makes zero sense what so ever IMO.

Fabbs
01-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I fail to see how the Colt's loss was any fault to Peyton Manning. That makes zero sense what so ever IMO.
Manning had about 4 gift wrapped INTs that the Charger dbs dropped, including two that would either be run back for touchdowns or give great field position to the Chargers, those being one each by Full of Himself Cromarte and Eric "Punk" Weddle. While they did not go for INTs, they went for incompletes.

I've never seen Manning so off. I thought Vegas was involved in those 4 tosses.

The 3rd and 2 sack near the endzone, while no one blocked Dobbins, as a qb you've got to be ready for that possibility in that circumstance. Manning should have been ready to chuck it on a moments notice. He was not blindsided.

dirk4mvp
01-07-2009, 02:56 PM
The 3rd and 2 sack near the endzone, while no one blocked Dobbins, as a qb you've got to be ready for that possibility in that circumstance. Manning should have been ready to chuck it on a moments notice. He was not blindsided.

That was absolutely not his fault. How could it be when the guy was untouched all the way?

Fabbs
01-08-2009, 09:37 AM
That was absolutely not his fault. How could it be when the guy was untouched all the way?
When the qb is lined up in deep shotgun there are 7-8 yards between he and the defensive end. Be ready to chuck it. Also Dungy should have had an outlet reciever for that very purpose. Indy only needed 2 yards so why have some deep route anyways? That is Norvron Turner strategy. That a defensive player will potentially bust in should be figured into every play like that. Granted the untouched blown assignment status was bogus of Indy, very bogus.

All Mannings fault on that play? Absolutely not.
A share of the fault on Manning? Yes, be ready to chuck the ball prior to the sack ala Dan Marino.