PDA

View Full Version : Why Duncan Doesn't Get Kobe, LeBron, Or Wade Respect (Hoopsvibe)

duncan228
01-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Nothing new here, even a mistake (DPOY awards? It's such a mistake that he doesn't have one that it's assumed he does). I posted it simply to do what this is about, getting the respect for Duncan in the spotlight. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here).

Why Tim Duncan doesn’t get Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, or Dwyane Wade respect (http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/why-tim-duncan-doesn-t-get-kobe-bryant-lebron-james-or-dwyane-wade-respect-ar49841.html)
Oly Sandor

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/lead125.jpg

Can Tim Duncan get some love?

Forget, for a moment, that the Spurs have won 14 of 17. And forget that this injury-riddled crew suddenly have the second best record in the Western Conference and are capable of challenging the Cavaliers, Celtics, and Lakers.

I’m talking about career love. Or even career recognition for his four NBA Titles, MVP and Defensive Player of the Year awards, and being the building block for the best organization in pro sports.

Duncan wins. Correction. San Antonio, Duncan’s team, wins. That’s what matters to the former first overall pick. Yet, in a results orientated business like the NBA, he gets less respect than a New Kids On The Block comeback or Rocky sequel.

Duncan’s backers always have to justify his status as an elite player. If winning is the mark of greatness, the currency among the crème de la crème, elite players –that would be the Kobes, LeBrons, and D-Wades of this world- should have to justify why they are worthy of Duncan.

That’s right: the lanky post is the bar others should aspire to. Not vice-versa. Duncan, arguably the greatest power forward of all-time, continues to be slept-on.

Well, why?

‘The Big Fundamental’ nickname says it all. Casual fans are entertained by flash, glitz, and aerial antics, while even serious fans don’t always like razor sharp efficiency and methodical brilliance. Duncan’s technical genius is under-appreciated.

Location. Location. Location. San Antonio is a quiet city and the Spurs are unable to get the same attention as bigger markets. The national media will always cover the Knicks’ on-going soap opera or the Lakers even though the Spurs’ deserve better.

There is also the matter of perception. Most reporters think because Duncan plays like a robot, he lacks personality. One famous scribe even dubbed him ‘Timmy Robot’ after the Will Smith flick I-Robot. This perception is wrong. Duncan has a great sense of humour and interesting perspective that doesn’t get nearly enough national attention.

Of course, Duncan doesn’t care about getting love, which means he’ll continue to be overlooked. Hopefully, we will wake up. And hopefully, we then recognize his accomplishments.

------------------------------------------------------

The robot referred to.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/oddsandends/robot.jpg

spursfaninla
01-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Although appreciate the thought, this article is crap in he is acting like the typical media: assume the readership has been paying attention for about 15 seconds, and does not read.

1. Duncan does get recognition as one of the top players of his era-period.

2. Many, many articles have been written with questions about where he ranks on all-time lists.

3. Both by fans and by writers, Duncan is compared to Shaq and Olajuwan, the two greatest (recognized) bigmen of the last 15+ years.

4. Players, coaches and fans vote him to the All-star team and recognize him as the best bigman of his time.

5. The Spurs have representation on the coaching or management staff of half the teams in the league, and this is due to the respect that Pop has been given as a successful coach; however, without Duncan, without those rings, those positions do not exist. This is indirect proof of the respect that comes from association with Duncan.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2009, 03:10 PM
‘The Big Fundamental’ nickname says it all. Casual fans are entertained by flash, glitz, and aerial antics, while even serious fans don’t always like razor sharp efficiency and methodical brilliance. Duncan’s technical genius is under-appreciated.

Location. Location. Location. San Antonio is a quiet city and the Spurs are unable to get the same attention as bigger markets. The national media will always cover the Knicks’ on-going soap opera or the Lakers even though the Spurs’ deserve better.

There is also the matter of perception. Most reporters think because Duncan plays like a robot, he lacks personality. One famous scribe even dubbed him ‘Timmy Robot’ after the Will Smith flick I-Robot. This perception is wrong. Duncan has a great sense of humour and interesting perspective that doesn’t get nearly enough national attention.

Of course, Duncan doesn’t care about getting love, which means he’ll continue to be overlooked. Hopefully, we will wake up. And hopefully, we then recognize his accomplishments.

Is this supposed to be news?

ClingingMars
01-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Galileo
01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Duncan has led his team to victory in 70% of his regular season games, 65% of his playoff games, and 80% of his playoff series.

No one has ever won this consistently in NBA history, over a 12 year period.

spursfaninla
01-06-2009, 03:31 PM
No one has won this consistently?

Maybe Jordan did not play enough years?

What about the Russell Celtics?

dougp
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Duncan has led his team to victory in 70% of his regular season games, 65% of his playoff games, and 80% of his playoff series.

More importantly, 100% of his trips to the Finals. :lobt2:

101A
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Operative phrase is "over a 12 year period"

Jordan played plenty long enough - his "winning", however, was not as consistent, for as long.

lefty
01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Dan Patrick said it best during the 2007 Finals : " if the Spurs played in L.A or NY, they would be the most popular team in the league "

jack sommerset
01-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I think Duncan does get the respect the other players do, Duncan is just quiet and wants to smoke his weed so he keeps a low profile. Duncan is the Spews.

Cry Havoc
01-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Galileo
01-06-2009, 06:28 PM

Jordan's team's won 119 playoff games and lost 60, about the same percentage as Duncan. Jordan also won 30 of 37 playoff series, again, about the same as Duncan.

But Jordan comes nowhere close to Duncan in the regular season.

Russell was better at winning playoff series. But Russell did not win 70% of his regular season games, and was only about equal to Duncan in playoff games.

UPDATE:

I stand corrected, Russell won 65% of his playoff games and about 70% of his regular season games, the same as Duncan.

SpursFanFirst
01-06-2009, 06:47 PM
If winning is the mark of greatness, the currency among the crème de la crème, elite players –that would be the Kobes, LeBrons, and D-Wades of this world- should have to justify why they are worthy of Duncan.

No kidding!

I understand LA and NY getting attention, but will someone please explain Cleveland to me?
Yes, LeBron is there (personally, I think he's overhyped, but whatever), but SA has Duncan.
What makes LeBron more worthy of being covered in freakin' Cleveland, OH than Duncan in San Antonio, TX?

DrHouse
01-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Duncan has never not been on a championship caliber team.

Nobody really knows what his true ceiling is as he's never had to carry a pathetic team by his lonesome the way Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Jordan, etc. have.

HarlemHeat37
01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Duncan does get respect, though..you'll see it even more when he retires..most people recognize him as a top 15-player of all-time, easily top 10 by the time he retires..there is absolutely no argument against it..

manufor3
01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Although appreciate the thought, this article is crap in he is acting like the typical media: assume the readership has been paying attention for about 15 seconds, and does not read.

1. Duncan does get recognition as one of the top players of his era-period.

2. Many, many articles have been written with questions about where he ranks on all-time lists.

3. Both by fans and by writers, Duncan is compared to Shaq and Olajuwan, the two greatest (recognized) bigmen of the last 15+ years.

4. Players, coaches and fans vote him to the All-star team and recognize him as the best bigman of his time.

5. The Spurs have representation on the coaching or management staff of half the teams in the league, and this is due to the respect that Pop has been given as a successful coach; however, without Duncan, without those rings, those positions do not exist. This is indirect proof of the respect that comes from association with Duncan.

but the kobes of the world still get more respect by the general media

HarlemHeat37
01-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Kobe doesn't get more respect from the media, he gets more hype..big difference..Kobe is also hated by A LOT of media and fans, so it goes both ways..

Allanon
01-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Kobe doesn't get more respect from the media, he gets more hype..big difference..Kobe is also hated by A LOT of media and fans, so it goes both ways..

Agreed.

The only way Kobe gets any mention at all is because he is a decent player and plays in LA. Duncan, by far, gets much more love from the media than Kobe, but because he plays in San Antonio, he doesn't get the hype.

Even when Kobe is playing well, he'll get negative articles because he's not as good as LeBron or he's still too selfish, etc. "Kobe was invisible most of the Olympics" sells better than the "Kobe was the hero of the Olympic Finals" articles.

I can't even remember the last negative article about Duncan (other than him being boring :D).

ploto
01-06-2009, 07:32 PM
How many times can someone write an article praising Duncan asking how come he does not get praised in the media?

mrspurs
01-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Its just work. And its work that pays well. Timmy knows his limitations. And for the money it aint bad at all. Year in and year out Timmy always shows up to work ready and waiting. Ready to work and waiting to play.

Lakers_55
01-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Here's a wrinkle no one brought up. It's the David vs. Goliath syndrome. The little guy gets the support. Not saying other big players didn't get massive props, but the key may be they were centers while Duncan is a forward.

duncan228
01-06-2009, 08:02 PM
I agree the key here is the difference between respect and hype.

Duncan is respected by true fans of the game, and by the league and its spokes(wo)men. It's the casual fan that doesn't get it, that's the part of the piece that got me.

Casual fans are entertained by flash, glitz, and aerial antics, while even serious fans don’t always like razor sharp efficiency and methodical brilliance. Duncan’s technical genius is under-appreciated.

I don't think the small market is that big a deal. Duncan's game, like Duncan himself, just isn't flashy. The casual fan wants, and pays for, highlight reels. If Duncan had the alley-oops and the slam dunks he'd be on the reels even from SA.

Duncan doesn't want hype, he's made that quite clear. When he's off the court he's out of the spotlight. I respect that choice.

What I'd like to see change is the appreciation (by even a casual fan) for the game he has. His footwork, his bank shot, his brilliance on the court, are worthy of highlight reels to me. But there's nothing flashy in there, and flash is what gets the attention.

Yorae
01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Is there any active no 1 pick who have stayed with his team longer than duncan have? How about inactive players?

Galileo
01-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Casual fans like scumbags who cheat on their wives and sleep with nimpho mentally unstable underage whores? Really? They don't admire people who shoot cool bank shots, win, have a model family, and play team ball in a team sport?

You have all been duped by the media.

underdawg
01-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Casual fans like scumbags who cheat on their wives and sleep with nimpho mentally unstable underage whores? Really? They don't admire people who shoot cool bank shots, win, have a model family, and play team ball in a team sport?

You have all been duped by the media.

Casual fans are only interested in entertainment - character plays almost no role in that. Unfortunately, casual fans will always outnumber true fans and stats will always garner more hype than integrity, charisma and work ethic.

HarlemHeat37
01-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Here's a wrinkle no one brought up. It's the David vs. Goliath syndrome. The little guy gets the support. Not saying other big players didn't get massive props, but the key may be they were centers while Duncan is a forward.

great point..

the big man is always viewed differently by the media and fans, since most of us can't relate to them..there are exceptions like Shaq, but he has one of the most engaging personalities in sports history..

Wilt was hated by a lot of people and was self-conscious about it, Kareem was viewed as a loner and a "jerk"..guys like Hakeem and Duncan are quiet and humble guys, so you won't hear much about them..

you see the difference with guys like Jordan, Magic, Bird..and in today's game, Kobe, Wade, and Lebron..even Chris Paul..

Blackjack
01-06-2009, 10:39 PM

Nobody really knows what his true ceiling is as he's never had to carry a pathetic team by his lonesome the way Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Jordan, etc. have.

:lmao

Tim had comparable talent to K.G. (arguably inferior) surrounding him the early part of this decade, yet somehow managed to always get out of the first round.

Tim, for the most part, was surrounded by role players for his first six years or so. (Oh, and Derek Anderson:depressed)

We all love Dave, and most know how historically great he was, but that's not who Tim had playing alongside him. Don't get me wrong, Dave was still a very good player (especially for Tim's first few years), but nothing compared to the pre-injury/surgery player. It's not a knock on Dave, but it's relevant to point out when people want to somehow downgrade Tim by saying he's played with so much more talent than others.

Until 2005 when Manu made the All-Star team, it had been about five years that Tim played with another All-Star. IIRC Dave's last appearance was 2001, but even that had more to do with his past than his present. That's not to say, that all worthy of being All-Stars are selected, but Tony and Manu weren't playing at that level back then. Sure there were flashes from time to time, but all the optimism in the world couldn't have foreseen the players they would both become.

Stephen Jackson came up huge for the Spurs, and was a big part in their second championship, but there weren't people beating down his agent's door with lucrative contract offers. He'd later develop and make some regret that decision, but it was completely understandable at the time. I think it was Bill Walton (of all people) who said, "Jackson is the type of player, that at the end of a game, you have to ask yourself... Was he more beneficial to his team or the opposition?" Afterall, Jack was just as capable of shooting you out of a game, as he was to shoot you into a game.(That's if he didn't turn the ball over before you got to see which one it would be.)

Of the players you mentioned, (Kobe, LeBron, Wade, and Jordan) you could make an argument for Jordan and LeBron having comparable (if not less) talent around them for about the first six years of their careers. Kobe came into the league with a team that sent 4 All-Stars to the game in his first or second year.(Not to mention forming maybe the most dominant duo, relative to the competition, ever.) Wade came into the league with Odom and Butler (not bad for the relative weakness of the conferece at the time) and would play with Shaq, Alonzo, (basically Wade's D.Rob) and a few former All-Stars along the way.

These last few years have been the most talented teams the Spurs have ever had, (imo) but that doesn't change the fact that Tim had 2 championships, 2 Finals M.V.P.'s, 2 regular season M.V.P.'s, an All-Star M.V.P., and was named a first or second team All-N.B.A/ Defensive Team his first six years in the league, and at a minimum, advanced to the second round of the playoffs every year he was on the court. (But I guess we'll never know his ceiling...)

To say, "Tim never had to carry some pathetic team to prove his greatness" is weak, to say the least.

Besides, I'm not sure a team with Duncan in his prime could ever have it's players referred to as pathetic.

T.D. tends to make even poor to average players look good.:smokin

MarHill
01-06-2009, 10:45 PM
:lmao

Tim had comparable talent to K.G. (arguably inferior) surrounding him the early part of this decade, yet somehow managed to always get out of the first round.

Tim, for the most part, was surrounded by role players for his first six years or so. (Oh, and Derek Anderson:depressed)

We all love Dave, and most know how historically great he was, but that's not who Tim had playing alongside him. Don't get me wrong, Dave was still a very good player (especially for Tim's first few years), but nothing compared to the pre-injury/surgery player. It's not a knock on Dave, but it's relevant to point out when people want to somehow downgrade Tim by saying he's played with so much more talent than others.

Until 2005 when Manu made the All-Star team, it had been about five years that Tim played with another All-Star. IIRC Dave's last appearance was 2001, but even that had more to do with his past than his present. That's not to say, that all worthy of being All-Stars are selected, but Tony and Manu weren't playing at that level back then. Sure there were flashes from time to time, but all the optimism in the world couldn't have foreseen the players they would both become.

Stephen Jackson came up huge for the Spurs, and was a big part in their second championship, but there weren't people beating down his agent's door with lucrative contract offers. He'd later develop and make some regret that decision, but it was completely understandable at the time. I think it was Bill Walton (of all people) who said, "Jackson is the type of player, that at the end of a game, you have to ask yourself... Was he more beneficial to his team or the opposition?" Afterall, Jack was just as capable of shooting you out of a game, as he was to shoot you into a game.(That's if he didn't turn the ball over before you got to see which one it would be.)

Of the players you mentioned, (Kobe, LeBron, Wade, and Jordan) you could make an argument for Jordan and LeBron having comparable (if not less) talent around them for about the first six years of their careers. Kobe came into the league with a team that sent 4 All-Stars to the game in his first or second year.(Not to mention forming maybe the most dominant duo, relative to the competition, ever.) Wade came into the league with Odom and Butler (not bad for the relative weakness of the conferece at the time) and would play with Shaq, Alonzo, (basically Wade's D.Rob) and a few former All-Stars along the way.

These last few years have been the most talented teams the Spurs have ever had, (imo) but that doesn't change the fact that Tim had 2 championships, 2 Finals M.V.P.'s, 2 regular season M.V.P.'s, an All-Star M.V.P., and was named a first or second team All-N.B.A/ Defensive Team his first six years in the league, and at a minimum, advanced to the second round of the playoffs every year he was on the court. (But I guess we'll never know his ceiling...)

To say, "Tim never had to carry some pathetic team to prove his greatness" is weak, to say the least.

Besides, I'm not sure a team with Duncan in his prime could ever have it's players referred to as pathetic.

T.D. tends to make even poor to average players look good.:smokin

Excellent post, Blackjack 21!!

I want to add that Tim hasn't sought the spotlight or the mega-endorsement deals those other superstars have. Unfortunately, in our in-your-face instant gratification culture...players like Tim get respect but not enough attention.

Basketball people and historians all know he will be a first ballot hall-of-famer and will go down as the one of the greatest power forwards to ever play the game. (I have to include Kevin McHale and Karl Malone in that discussion!!)

Yorae
01-06-2009, 10:48 PM
He's a good HEB model...

Thomas82
02-21-2009, 05:29 PM
How many times can someone write an article praising Duncan asking how come he does not get praised in the media?

People won't realize just how great he was until he retires.

Pelicans78
02-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Duncan doesn't demand attention. He doesn't care for it. He's not about flash. He's a true professional. I respect that. Also, he's never committed a foul in his life ;)

LockBeard
02-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I love the Spurs, but I have really gotten turned off by the NBA over the last 10 years.

GSH
02-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Respect from who? You mean the sportswriters and television networks that are shameless pimps for the East Coast/West Coast teams where they live? Those people are the reason the poll system doesn't work for college football.

The NBA has also done its share to downplay basketball fundamentals, by suspending one of the most basic rules of the game. If the league actually told the zebras to start whistling players for carrying the ball, a lot of the circus plays would disappear. And Mr. Fundamental would be more widely recognized as the basketball deity he truly is.

MateoNeygro
02-21-2009, 11:36 PM

Seriously?? Kobe had Shaq for 3 championships and now has the deepest bench in the league not to mention Allstar Pau Gasol. Lebron's team does kinda suck so he deserves props. Wade won his championship with Shaq and a relatively good bench(Had the Spurs beat the Mavs that year Wade wouldnt have a championship) and Jordan?? He had Pippen one of the 50 greatest players of all time according to the NBA. Duncan won with Avery Johnson as his starting pointguard. Granted he had David Robinson but I'd say the 99 championship Spurs were not nearly as good talent wise as any of the aforementioned teams.

MateoNeygro
02-21-2009, 11:38 PM

And I see you are a Lakers fan which is alright I guess but really??? Kobe has carried pathetic teams?? He didn't carry shit until Pau came. And he's only won championships with Shaq on his team. So your above statement is fuckin stupid.

Rapper
02-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Including T-Mac

Because they said that Timmy's playing style is so boring

mystargtr34
02-22-2009, 04:23 AM

I actually agree with you. Theres a difference between hype/praise and respect. I think hes one of the most respected players in the league, by everyone - fans, media, players, coaches. But he doesnt get much hype/praise. Its good to see articles like these just to recognise that.

wildbill2u
02-22-2009, 08:31 AM

Now those are interesting, impressive and significant stats.

2Cleva
02-22-2009, 09:26 AM
As Wilt once said "No one loves Goliath".

Rogue
02-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Timmy's playing style is so boring
You're a fake Duncan fan. A real fan of some player should always kiss the ass of the player he loves even if the player sucks, or even eat his shit. your words just reveal the truth that you're not a fan of Duncan. you're not a spurs fan either, you're not a basketball fan at all moron. :rolleyes

Duncan's game isn't boring as you described, at least TD isn't as boring as KG and you.

Spursfanfromafar
02-22-2009, 10:33 AM
All this boring talk about Duncan's boring efficiency and the media's non-boring into his boring fundamental details is soooooo boring.

spursncowboys
02-22-2009, 12:01 PM

That's not a question?:p:

spursncowboys
02-22-2009, 12:03 PM
You're a fake Duncan fan. A real fan of some player should always kiss the ass of the player he loves even if the player sucks, or even eat his shit. your words just reveal the truth that you're not a fan of Duncan. you're not a spurs fan either, you're not a basketball fan at all moron. :rolleyes

Duncan's game isn't boring as you described, at least TD isn't as boring as KG and you.

Has your team won one?
I couldn't be a Mav's fan if I had to kiss the ass of Hasselhoff jr, or the American patiot himself-Howard.

temujin
02-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Respect from who? You mean the sportswriters and television networks that are shameless pimps for the East Coast/West Coast teams where they live? Those people are the reason the poll system doesn't work for college football.

The NBA has also done its share to downplay basketball fundamentals, by suspending one of the most basic rules of the game. If the league actually told the zebras to start whistling players for carrying the ball, a lot of the circus plays would disappear. And Mr. Fundamental would be more widely recognized as the basketball deity he truly is.

:clap

Galileo
02-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Casual fans are only interested in entertainment - character plays almost no role in that. Unfortunately, casual fans will always outnumber true fans and stats will always garner more hype than integrity, charisma and work ethic.

Really? Then how do you explain the popularity of college basketball, which has historically exceeded that of the NBA?

Old School 44
02-22-2009, 01:28 PM

+1

Tim has tons of respect, he's just not self-promoting and neither is team or his coach. Unfortunately, many writers just don't know how to introduce a "Tim is the best" story without using that angle.

cool hand
02-22-2009, 01:30 PM
small town in south texas.

manufor3
02-22-2009, 02:09 PM
im waiting for drhouse to respond to some of the spurs fans points (its just how quickly arguements can go south)

cherylsteele
02-22-2009, 03:53 PM

Your show sucks

Spursfan092120
02-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Dan Patrick said it best during the 2007 Finals : " if the Spurs played in L.A or NY, they would be the most popular team in the league "
Wow...I've been saying that for years..I didn't know DP said that.

Spursfan092120
02-22-2009, 04:16 PM

Did you ever stop to think that maybe...just maybe...Tim was a part of that team being a championship caliber team? I've seen plays where he was triple teamed. Some of those guys just find their spot, sit there, and wait for Tim to post up...back down...and when their man moves over to help, Timmy gets it to them. Now, all of a sudden, they have a wide open jumpshot on their shot. Look at Kurt Thomas. All of a sudden, he's become a shooting threat, because of a pick and roll where they move over to Timmy.