PDA

View Full Version : point differential

admiralfats
01-06-2009, 10:37 PM
So I think point differential is a big deal. I think it's good to blow out teams that you should beat badly. It worries me that we haven't been doing this lately, and I've noticed that it bothers other spurs fans around here. but dallas lost to memphis, with whom we've had some close skirmishes, and houston lost to philly, who we let storm back into a game. I also read that, despite what appears to be a team struggling to mesh on defense, we're 7th in the league. and we have the 4th best record behind the 3 frontrunners. I have a lot of friends who think I'm crazy the way I believe in the spurs' ability to win, but I just think when you have a team that has a history of winning, you just believe they're going to beat everyone until they're actually out. I'm not ecstatic to be going late into close games against philly or memphis, but we all know how good this team CAN be if they pull it all together. and history forces me to believe that they're gonna do it. It's so great to be a Spurs fan. So here's to that. :toast

HarlemHeat37
01-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I've already shown how irrelevant it is in the other thread..

Boston has now lost 5 out of 7(?), with multiple losses to bad teams..you gave examples of Houston and Dallas..

we have the 4th best record in the NBA, despite losing our 2nd and 3rd best players for a month..think about other teams, and take out their 2nd and 3rd best players, and imagine their record..

BlackBellamy
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
I've already shown how irrelevant it is in the other thread..

Boston has now lost 5 out of 7(?), with multiple losses to bad teams..you gave examples of Houston and Dallas..

we have the 4th best record in the NBA, despite losing our 2nd and 3rd best players for a month..think about other teams, and take out their 2nd and 3rd best players, and imagine their record..

+1 It's hard to say, however, that the Manu and Tony being out thing was a bad break for the Spurs in the slightest at this point. It gave an early look to RMJ and after having a dreadful pre-season might be the sole reason why Hill has any minutes at this point. It WAS impressive that we hung in there. Great case of the Nietzsche quote, 'That which does not kill us, makes us stronger'.

z0sa
01-06-2009, 11:01 PM
+1 It's hard to say, however, that the Manu and Tony being out thing was a bad break for the Spurs in the slightest at this point. It gave an early look to RMJ and after having a dreadful pre-season might be the sole reason why Hill has any minutes at this point. It WAS impressive that we hung in there. Great case of the Nietzsche quote, 'That which does not kill us, makes us stronger'.

+1

I think it also gave Finley a little more spark since he got some of his "old" minutes again for a while, and who knows what would have happened in that Rockets game that ended up being Matt Bonner's coming out party had Tony played (anybody remember Hill 17 points in that contest? He was second leading scorer behind Tim).

L.I.T
01-06-2009, 11:01 PM
2002-2003 Spurs pre-All Star break point differential was +4.3. Which would be the last time the Spurs really turned over their roster in the off-season; as opposed to making smaller tweaks.

So far, on the season the point differential is +3.4. However, in December it went up to +5.7 and in three games in January, it is at +6.7.

Trending up = good.

admiralfats
01-06-2009, 11:06 PM
yeah i realized at the time that maybe houston and dallas weren't thrilling examples of teams we're better than, but since teams play them on their swings down here, i figured I'd point out that these middling teams are losing to teams we're beating. also, i didn't say this, but I think it's interesting that philadelphia is now without brand, back to the style that they got hot with last year. worth pointing out that since they beat dallas pretty badly that perhaps we caught them at a time where they might be playing a more comfortable style and so may have been playing better basketball than their record. memphis fights pretty hard despite their record also. So i'm not deluded, i don't think these teams are contenders, but maybe they're not quite as bad as we think. Just gotta keep getting better, and we went a month without our full team so we're still building chemistry. this whole thread might've been stupid and superfluous, but i'm sitting in winnipeg because i'm visiting my dad, and all I can get is NO vs LAL, which i'm watching, or hockey. I saw boston was down to charlotte in the 3rd and watched them lose on gamecast (which is unbearably slow at times, isn't it?) and so I decided, hey I want to post something on spurstalk because i've never started a thread there. so here i am.

admiralfats
01-06-2009, 11:09 PM
yeah good numbers lit. I'd be happy to see this spurs team be the first to win the championship with the lowest ever point differential, because screw numbers it's all about the hardware, but I do care about numbers and trends and beating bad teams badly so i hope that number just keeps climbing! plus if we kill teams we get more minutes for george and whoever else needs some reps, either tolliver or whoever we've got at the end of our bench.