PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved Mavs tonight

Ghazi
01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Our beloved Mavs defeat the shorthanded Clippers 107-102 to improve to 21-13.

Can't really feel good about the game at all, really. It looked in the first half that this would be a rare "easy win" for the Mavs when we were up by as much as 15 yet we let them get back into the game. Mediocrity. Dirk had a great game w/ 34... Kidd does a lot of nice "little things" but his lack of penetration and scoring is frustrating as hell... can't really complain about J-Ho tonight... Terry had a cold game snapping 24 straight games w/ 15+ points... 9 points on 2/10 shooting but I'll give him a pass... his shot was off tonight and he didn't get clean looks.

Moral defeat. I dunno if we can be particularly upset with our players, it's not as if anyone outside of J-Ho is half assing or underachieving. We have a slightly above average roster and we're getting slightly above average results. We can be upset with the FO for letting it get to this point I Guess, but nothing we can do now.

Oh well I guess.

sribb43
01-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Shitty win, Rick's BS lineup in the 4th quarter are terrible...why the fuck he runs out JJB, JET, Kidd, Bas and Dirk I will never know. Play fuckin Damp in the 4th

Ghazi
01-06-2009, 11:16 PM
We had JHo playing PF and Dirk playing C at one point too. Yeesh.

sribb43
01-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Carlisle has fallen too much in love with JJB, he should not be playing down the stretch

Brickhouse
01-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Carlisle has fallen too much in love with JJB, he should not be playing down the stretch

Exactly, he forces things too much. When they finally went to Dirk, they came back.

I don't get the 3 guard obsession.

Ghazi
01-06-2009, 11:19 PM
We have so many gimmick lineups. the 3 guard lineup has been effective but it just doesn't seem "right" to have such little size on the court. Bass and Singleton are undersized PF's too, not centers.

But I dunno, I can't complain about Carlisle's coaching thus far. I can't think of a game we've lost due to coaching this year.

Findog
01-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Great win! Get your pom-poms out!

ElNono
01-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Defense was mediocre at best. You were lucky to come out with a win.
It's just really sad to see a team regress so much defensively. I though Carslile would prevent that being that both his Detroit and Pacers teams played some defense, but I just don't see it in the players...

Ghazi
01-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Great defensive teams have great defenders. I wouldn't call anyone on the Mavs a great defender. Just a few good defenders, a few average defenders, and a few bad defenders... the result of this is above average but not great defense (I would say the Mavs qualify as this as they're 10th or so in the league, which boggles my mind that 20 teams in the NBA can play worse defense!).

ElNono
01-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Great defensive teams have great defenders. I wouldn't call anyone on the Mavs a great defender. Just a few good defenders, a few average defenders, and a few bad defenders... the result of this is above average but not great defense (I would say the Mavs qualify as this as they're 10th or so in the league, which boggles my mind that 20 teams in the NBA can play worse defense!).

Please, this same core played top notch defense 2/3 years ago. Exact same players...

sribb43
01-06-2009, 11:27 PM
We have so many gimmick lineups. the 3 guard lineup has been effective but it just doesn't seem "right" to have such little size on the court. Bass and Singleton are undersized PF's too, not centers.

But I dunno, I can't complain about Carlisle's coaching thus far. I can't think of a game we've lost due to coaching this year.

Gimmick lineups mean that you dont have the personal to get the job done, you have to try BS to overcome your weaknesses

Damp 7 points 4 boards in 21 minutes and had only 1 foul. I dont want to hear that Rick wants Bass in the game late for offense bc he is the last player on the floor that should get the ball with his decision making. Its better to have the big man in who can set screens, board and defend. Why do you think the Mavs got outrebounded tonight?

Play fuckin' Damp...Bass should never have more minutes than Damp

Ghazi
01-06-2009, 11:28 PM
If you stand still in the NBA, you will regress.

Ghazi
01-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Gimmick lineups mean that you dont have the personal to get the job done, you have to try BS to overcome your weaknesses

Damp 7 points 4 boards in 21 minutes and had only 1 foul. I dont want to hear that Rick wants Bass in the game late for offense bc he is the last player on the floor that should get the ball with his decision making. Its better to have the big man in who can set screens, board and defend. Why do you think the Mavs got outrebounded tonight?

Yep, pretty much :(

And I Agree on DAmp getting more burn.

Findog
01-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Damp needs to play more. Call him overpaid or whatever, but he improves our defense. We need to turn Stack/Bass into another offensive threat so Damp can be on the floor in crunch time. Carlisle feels like there's not enough offense so that's why he goes with Bass.

sribb43
01-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Damp needs to play more. Call him overpaid or whatever, but he improves our defense. We need to turn Stack/Bass into another offensive threat so Damp can be on the floor in crunch time. Carlisle feels like there's not enough offense so that's why he goes with Bass.

Damp does the things that no one else does on the floor, yet you insert Bass who has a bball IQ on the level of J-Ho...

Mavs jacked like 8 threes in the last few minutes, thats bc no one is out there to set effective screens to get open shot. Most of those 3's were highly contested

ElNono
01-06-2009, 11:31 PM
If you stand still in the NBA, you will regress.

I see it a different way. Playing defense is 'hard' and 'boring' compared to be out there chucking shots. You need a coach that demands your players to play defense, and penalize those who don't. I don't see Carslile doing that.

ElNono
01-06-2009, 11:32 PM

In a way it starts with JHo... If he's not hitting, you don't have enough offense. The other teams locks on JT and Dirk and you're pretty much SOL.
Wasn't this team playing better when JHo was entirely out?

Findog
01-06-2009, 11:35 PM
In a way it starts with JHo... If he's not hitting, you don't have enough offense. The other teams locks on JT and Dirk and you're pretty much SOL.
Wasn't this team playing better when JHo was entirely out?

Yeah, because the offense was more fluid, more ball movement. It tends to stop with Josh. I've said it many times, but a lot of this team's problems would be solved if Josh could get it together.

sribb43
01-06-2009, 11:40 PM
One positive from tonights game is that the Mavs gained a game on the Rockets

Findog
01-06-2009, 11:45 PM
One positive from tonights game is that the Mavs gained a game on the Rockets

Hooray!