PDA

View Full Version : Any Spurs misdemeanors?

raspsa
01-06-2009, 11:58 PM
When was the last time a Spurs player ran afoul of the law or commited some socially unacceptable blunder? I guess the Spurs really must be a boring team because I can't recall any such incident involving any current or recent Spur. (and no, Horry's hipcheck on Nash doesn't count:lol)

honestfool84
01-06-2009, 11:59 PM
i think i remember hearing about some player getting a DWI earlier this year, before the season started...

admiralfats
01-07-2009, 12:00 AM
maybe damon stoudamire? Didn't something happen with him?

edit: I mean, besides him robbing us of 2 million or whatever we paid him

timvp
01-07-2009, 12:00 AM
i think i remember hearing about some player getting a DWI earlier this year, before the season started...Tim Druncan?

Brutalis
01-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Yea Tim got the DUI right at the start of preseason.

Kori Ellis
01-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Kurt Thomas has some domestic violence issues on his record, but that wasn't while he was a Spur.

raspsa
01-07-2009, 12:08 AM

At the risk of sounding fooliah, Are you guys serious?

Brutalis
01-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Very. We don't joke around here at ST.

;)

DPG21920
01-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Demarr Johnson is who you are referring to.

Kori Ellis
01-07-2009, 12:10 AM
There's definitely some previous Spurs players with stuff on their records. But I don't know of anything with current Spurs (except what I just mentioned about Kurt).

Brutalis
01-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Memory says SJax got in trouble when he was with us. Might be wrong though.

EricB
01-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Rod Strickland, David Wingate were the last ones I know of.

m33p0
01-07-2009, 12:12 AM
tony parker. he got pulled over for travelling recently.

honestfool84
01-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Demarr Johnson is who you are referring to.

yeah, that's him.

Kori Ellis
01-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Well Ron Mercer had that whole gang rape thing, but that was before he was a Spur. That's the biggest thing that I can think of.

raspsa
The guys are human and therefore fallible just like everyone else I guess.. just that they seem to be above-average in terms of such behavior or at least not getting caught in the limelight. I'd hate to screw up then have to face Pop the next day.:nope

timvp
http://www.nba.com/media/draft2002/samaki_walker_suit.jpg

+

http://www.suzuki-motorcycle.co.uk/images/bike.jpg

BlackBellamy
01-07-2009, 12:18 AM
There's definitely some previous Spurs players with stuff on their records. But I don't know of anything with current Spurs (except what I just mentioned about Kurt).
We have class currently me thinks...but
Alvin Robertson
Stephen Jackson
Rod Strickland maybe?
I think I remember something with Antonio Daniels

Brutalis
01-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Let's not forget Rodman.

eww.

duncan228
01-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Was there any legal trouble when this happened? :lmao

Athlete Run-Ins: The Angry Tim Duncan. Grrr! (http://deadspin.com/sports/nba/athlete-runins-the-angry-tim-duncan-grrr-138038.php)

In today's second installment of athlete run-in stories, we present a portrayal of Spurs all-world star Tim Duncan, from the olden days, back before he became the Mr. Nice Guy Stud that he is today. We find this story immensely fun just because it's the exact opposite of what pretty much everyone has always thought about Duncan. It comes to us from someone named "Johnny Lazz." Here's an excerpt, with the full story after the jump.

I round the corner to see Tim Duncan forcibly holding a girl around the waist with one arm to sit on his lap and is wiggling her around like a grinding lap-dance motion.

Yeah. It gets worse. Enjoy the rest after the jump.

I attended UNC-Chapel Hill. During the 1996-97 hoops season, I was a bouncer in a bar on Franklin Street called Papagayos, which sadly no longer exists. This particular evening the Heels had lost at home to Tim Duncan and Wake Forest. After the game, UNC center and dorky german 7 footer Serge Zwikker made an appearance at the bar. After a few quick drinks, Zwikker and friends left due the amount of jeers and rebukes. On his way out, some Heels fans pelted him with balled-up bar napkins.

Shortly after he leaves, in rolls Tim Duncan with some nondescript non-basketball player. Instantly the bar starts buzzing, as Duncan was dominating the ACC and NCAA at this point, a clear lottery pick. The very same dickhead frat boy UNC students that were harassing Serge immediately fall all over themselves to kiss his ass and buy him drinks. Tim takes it all in stride, happily obliging the sycophants, all dudes. I was working the door, and it wasn't that crowded (slow tues or wed night) so I just stayed at my post, happily zoned out. About an hour later a girl (hot petite blond sorority type; at UNC, they are a dime a dozen) in a panic and tells me someone is molesting her friend at a corner table. As the only bouncer, it is my job to keep order, and I was always quick to eject anyone I heard using racial slurs, homophobes, or harassing women.

(Full disclosure: I am six-foot, 220, an avid martial artist and enjoyed opening the door with people's faces when they had it coming.)

I round the corner to see Tim Duncan forcibly holding a girl around the waist with one arm to sit on his lap and is wiggling her around like a grinding lap-dance motion. She is yelling, "stop it, let go of me," and he is using his other hand to clasp her shoulder and grope her breasts. Now, keep in mind, there are like 4-5 UNC frat type guys AT THE TABLE watching him do this, and not saying shit, some even laughing (cuz apparently date rape is funny), because these were the very same fuckheads who were kissing Duncan's ass, asking him where he wanted to play NBA ball and buying him drinks when he got there. Tim Duncan's back is to me, so I tap him on the shoulder and calmly and quietly tell him to let go of her. He tells me to fuck off, without even turning around.

So I say sternly but calmly something along the lines of, "Well, you are going have to let go of her and get out because you are not welcome here anymore." (I always started things assertive but mellow and zen-like, so as to avoid inflaming drunken macho reactions. If you can control things by keeping calm, things go easier in these situations.) So he lets go, she darts up and runs to the ladies room, he stands up slowly and turns to face me. Now, I am not scared of too many people, but the fact remains: He is way taller, faster, stronger; in every way he will totally dominate me. Martial arts training aside, if I can't take him down fast, like by sweeping his leg and hopefully breaking a knee, I am fucked, because he could've picked me up by my ankles and swung me around like a club against the closest wall.

He looks down at me with total contempt and says, "Fuck off before I kick your ass. Don't you know who I am?" Now, inside I am crapping my pants, but fighting is all about controlling your fear, so on the outside I am (or am trying to be) John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Bruce Lee all rolled into one. I look him dead in the eye (as best I am able given the height difference) and say, word for word (I will never forget, and I still don't know where I came up with this): "Look TIM, you ain't in the NBA yet. Now if you don't get the fuck out of here right now I am gonna call ESPN, Sports Illustrated, and Coach Odom as soon as I get done breaking your knee and ruining your fucking career." He is stunned by my audacity, like the lion regarding the mouse that roared.

Then he gets this weird look on his face, like he is mulling over what a bad idea it would be to get in a fight over this kind of thing at a Chapel Hill bar so publicly. Then he says "Fuck you. This place sucks. I am OUTTA HERE!" like it was his idea, like I had pissed in his margarita or something. I hollered at his back "Good! Get the fuck out, that's all I asked!" to the applause of the few patrons at the bar. I ended up going home with the pretty brunette he had been harassing, having played her Knight-in-shining flannel.

The weird thing is, he goes on to get drafted by the Spurs, spends his rookie offseason living with David Robinson and getting counseled on how to conduct yourself in the pros, craft the perfect media-friendly role-model image... to think this guy could have just as easily become the next Rasheed Wallace without the wise council of the Admiral.

The more rings Tim gets, and the longer he goes on as a NBA role model, the less likely people are to believe this, but I was there, and I had plenty of witnesses. Yes, it was a long time ago and people change, but that night that fucker was way out of line.

BlackBellamy
01-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Sounds more like a Suns fan creative writing assignment.

m33p0
01-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Let's not forget Rodman.

eww.
i'm not positive but the odds are stacked that something weird went down when he was around.

m33p0
01-07-2009, 12:25 AM
oh, great. not that story again, 228. some half-wit is gonna believe it.

duncan228
01-07-2009, 12:26 AM

:lol Someone always does. It hadn't made an appearance in a while, it was due. I figured why not from me. :lmao

Behrooz24
01-07-2009, 12:37 AM
I think David Robinson was caught w/coke and hookers on Christmas Eve one year.

ivanfromwestwood
01-07-2009, 12:40 AM
didnt antonio daniels choke the shit out of some chick back in the summer of 02? tp and eva also got into some shit with a cop right in front of the police sub station on houston street i think.

BlackBellamy
01-07-2009, 12:43 AM
didnt antonio daniels choke the shit out of some chick back in the summer of 02? tp and eva also got into some shit with a cop right in front of the police sub station on houston street i think.

San Antonio's own celebrity couple, Spurs guard Tony Parker and "Desperate Housewives" actress Eva Longoria, ran afoul of the law early Christmas Eve, when a police officer said they hurled insults and profanities after he told them to move their car.

(Eric Gay/Associated Press)

San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker actress Eva Longoria stand on the sidelines as the New Orleans Saints host the Buffalo Bills in the Saints' first game at the Alamodomein October.
PLAY-BY-PLAY

THE ANGRY WORDS: According to police, Eva Longoria said: 'He's just a Mexican bike cop. He only wants your autograph.'

THE REBUTTAL: Through her publicist, Longoria said: 'It's a shame that one officer conducted himself in such an inappropriate and disorderly manner. I never made any sort of racial slurs, let alone made any comments about the officer being Mexican, as a Mexican myself.'

TALK BACK: What do you think about this latest installment of the Tony and Eva saga?

The officer issued citations to Parker for impeding traffic and failing to produce a valid Texas driver's license.

Longoria, whom the police report quoted as telling the officer, "Well, (expletive) you then," was not cited.

According to the report, she also told the officer he had an ego problem. The officer said he told Longoria he had no intention of getting into a shouting match with her.

Through her publicist, Longoria called the police report "highly inaccurate" and said she and Parker "respect and love the community and the San Antonio Police Department."

The incident occurred early Saturday, about 12:45 a.m., hours after the Spurs defeated the Toronto Raptors 95-90 at the SBC Center.

According to the police report, Parker was behind the wheel of a car stopped in the 200 block of East Houston Street, where it was impeding traffic.

A bicycle officer used a flashlight to indicate that Parker needed to move along. When the car didn't move, the officer approached and rapped the hood with the palm of his hand.

Parker and Longoria "began screaming in a verbally abusive and demeaning manner," police said, and Parker questioned why the officer touched the car.

Then the officer asked Parker for his driver's license. At that point, according to the police report, Parker instead began to drive away and nearly hit a man standing several feet in front of his car.

Police ordered Parker to turn off the ignition and step out of the car. The officer who wrote up the citations said Longoria then shouted out the passenger window: "He's just a Mexican bike cop. He only wants your autograph."

The officer also said that, while he was writing the citations, Parker complained: "This is all the cops do, just mess with people."

During the traffic stop, Parker displayed what he identified as a French driver's license. The officer issued the second citation after a records check showed Parker has a current Texas driver's license, which he did not present.

Police didn't take action against Longoria despite the comments they say she made. Police spokesman Joe Rios said officers are accustomed to hearing all kinds of remarks in the course of their jobs, and they typically would not cite someone for disorderly conduct unless a bystander was offended by what was said or done.

Officers "didn't want to prolong the situation," Rios said. "Had other people heard and been offended by what she said, they would have taken action."

Longoria's publicist Liza Anderson said, "I believe the couple will be pressing charges in conjunction with this incident. They are intent on setting the record straight. Both Tony and Eva are law-abiding and respectful citizens of the community."

Through her publicist, Longoria said, "It's a shame that one officer conducted himself in such an inappropriate and disorderly manner. I never made any sort of racial slurs, let alone made any comments about the officer being Mexican, as a Mexican myself."

After the Christmas Day loss in Detroit, a Spurs team spokesman declined to comment on the incident involving Parker and Longoria.

Longoria, a Corpus Christi native who has made San Antonio a second home, rose to stardom with her role as the scheming Gabrielle Solis in ABC's hit show "Desperate Housewives."

In the past year, she received a Golden Globe nomination and was named one of People magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People."

Longoria and Parker, the Spurs starting point guard, began dating about a year ago.

The actress was a courtside fixture during the Spurs championship run and was present for Sunday's game in Detroit.

BlackBellamy
01-07-2009, 12:49 AM

Actually, I think Antonio's record is still clean. However, one could say that he's in prison right now. He has a contract with the Wiz. Zing!

Thompson
01-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Roger Mason raped the Suns, Nash is trying to press charges.

ivanfromwestwood
01-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Roger Mason raped the Suns, Nash is trying to press charges. ha ha thats fucked up.

ivanfromwestwood
01-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Daniels maintains no regrets
By Percy Allen

Seattle Times staff reporter

No one has given Antonio Daniels an official explanation for the reasons behind the trade that shipped him away from San Antonio, the city he described as "the perfect place for me."

He only has a few clues, suspicions and hunches supported by innuendo, speculation and rumors.

For the real story, he said, you'd have to ask R.C. Buford, the San Antonio general manager, and coach Gregg Popovich. But they will say only that both sides parted amicably.

"He's one of the more fun people I've ever been around," Popovich said after yesterday's Spurs practice. "Just good-natured, good people, right down to the bone. He's always got a smile on his face. He's always ready to go.
"As a player, he is unbelievably athletic, really tough in transition, somebody who has learned how to play the point position. He's turned into a point guard, where he can make decisions and find open people. His shooting has improved over the years. He's just a player that's improved as he's gone on."
The description of Daniels, who along with Brent Barry, a former Sonics guard, are the linchpins connecting Seattle and San Antonio as their best-of-seven series begins tomorrow at SBC Arena, is accurate, but not complete.

It leaves out the true reasons for Daniels' departure, which Daniels said he believes began the day when a few of his friends accosted a 23-year-old man after a dispute between him and Daniels during a summer pickup basketball game.

What followed was a media circus complete with reporters camping outside Daniels' gated-community home, screaming headlines, police reports, threats of lawsuits and a tarnished reputation.

And perhaps none of that had anything to do with San Antonio packaging Daniels along with guard Charles Smith and center Amal McCaskill and sending them to Portland for guards Steve Kerr and Erick Barkley and a 2003 second-round draft pick.

But this much is certain: Before June 9, 2002, Daniels was a role-model citizen and basketball player in San Antonio, where David Robinson and Tim Duncan set the bar extremely high.

Today's NBA games

Indiana at Boston, 4 p.m., TNT

Houston at Dallas, 6:30 p.m., TNT

And eight weeks after that fateful day, Daniels was no longer a Spur. He would spend just one season with the Trail Blazers in 2002-03 before joining the Sonics as a free agent.

"Who knows if that [the altercation] had anything to do with it," Daniels said after Sonics practice. "That's such a clean-cut organization, and in my four years there that's the thing that I got into. And right after it happened, that's when the trade talks started to surface."

In hindsight, the scuffle appears to have been much ado about nothing.

At the time, Daniels was reticent to discuss the incident, but yesterday he acknowledged an incident ensued between Adara Davis and Daniels' friends at the Barshop Jewish Community Center in San Antonio.

Davis told police he received a 5-inch scratch across his neck, but no charges were ever filed.

"After a basketball game, me and this guy somewhat got into it," Daniels said. "Nothing really happened with me and him. But some of my boys that were at the game with me, they grabbed him. It wasn't like anybody got beat up or nothing like that, but they grabbed him. Me and Sonia [Daniels' wife], we left. I left and I went home and thought nothing of it. I thought whatever, you know. An argument, whatever it may be, and I left and went home.

"So the next day, I was sleeping in the afternoon and I got a call from R.C., Pop, our assistant coaches, everybody. They were all like, 'What happened?' And I'm like, 'Nothing. Why? What do you mean what happened?' And they told me to turn on the news, and it led the news. It was the first story on the news. That shows you how small San Antonio is."

In keeping with the city's provincial nature, the Spurs urged Daniels to conduct a news conference and apologize to the fans for his involvement in the incident.

At that time, he sensed a sudden shift in his relationship with the team.

Suddenly, his reluctance to play point guard — a stance he later abandoned — became an issue once again, as did his suspect three-point shooting. His performance during the 1999 NBA championship season and contributions in the community, such as a summer basketball camp, no longer held the same value.

The Spurs were intent on trading him, but kept him abreast of the potential suitors and promised not to deal him to a place he didn't want to be.

"Not every organization does that," Daniels said. "To me, that said first class."

Because of his graceful exit, Daniels maintains no ill will toward San Antonio, where he met his wife and where he still maintains an offseason residence.

He treasures his close friendship with Duncan, a groomsman in his wedding last year, and Popovich, whom he credits with teaching him discipline.

"He's big on that," Daniels said. "There is no being late. Defensive rotation, you make it or you come out. ... You have a job to do and you don't need to step out of it and be something that you're not. You need to be who you are and stay as disciplined as possible. That's the biggest thing I learned from him."

Those lessons in San Antonio have served Daniels well during his two years with the Sonics, where, at 30, he is the oldest player on the youngest team still in the playoffs.

"Almost everything I know about basketball, I learned in San Antonio," Daniels said. "And for that, I can never have any regrets. That place was like the perfect place for me."

Percy Allen: 206-464-2278 or [email protected]

BlackBellamy
01-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Roger Mason raped the Suns, Nash is trying to press charges.
The Suns? Oh no, they totally wanted it. I mean, they ask for it time and time again. That won't hold up in court. Rape charges rarely do when involving basketball players anyways.

ClingingMars
01-07-2009, 01:41 AM

just looking at it, it's not him. lol. unless he was heavily drunk, there's no fucking way.

also, from deadspin:

HERE IS A SIMILAR RUN-IN A GUY NAMED BILLWALTONISGOD HAD WITH TIMMY D. SOUNDS LIKE THIS BEHAVIOR MIGHT BE A TREND. WATCH OUT TO. "I can't say that I'm suprised to hear this. Not after this summer. It had been a beautiful Boone day. I'd spent most of it out on the parkway, hiking. That evening I stopped in Macadoos for a beer or two. My buddy was tending bar, and he would always hook me up with a few drinks when I came by. Well, I get in there and my buddy looks upset. I ask him what's wrong, and he tells me that Tim Duncan's been "drinking with a bunch of frat boys, yelling racial slurs, beating up homosexuals, and raping the heck out of a bunch of women." As I looked around, I watched some girl get up and try to leave, but Timmy ran to the door and gave her a roundhouse kick to the face. Then he grabbed her by the hair, dragging her back to his table. Everyone else was pretending not to watch as he did this. I knew that if I didn't do something quick, nobody would. I'm not a big guy(5'9, 140 lbs.), but I had been raised in a Kung Fu temple, and knew all the secret ninja arts and sh*t. I was like an evil Jedi, with the mind tricks and cat-like reflexes. So I start to make my way over to Timmy's table, when I realize that he's got his boys, David Robinson, Dikembe Mutumbo, and Jimmy Carter watching his back. I knew I could probably take them all at once, but innocent people would be hurt. I've never been one to plan things too much in advance. I get a rough idea of what I want to do, and I go from there. In my experience, plans always go wrong, so it's best to just improvise. My mentor, Bill Walton taught me that. So I walk past Timmy D's table, like I'm going to the bathroom. He sees me and yells, "Nobody uses the bathroom tonight except ME! You go on the floor!" I stop and look him square in the eye. After staring him down for a good thirty seconds, I spit a wad of tobacco juice on his plate. He looks at me in disbelief, and Mutumbo starts to get up, while reaching for me. Before he can even stand up, I punch him in the temple full-force, killing him instantly. Robinson was quicker, getting to his feet and picking up a chair(with this cute girl still in it) and swinging it at me. I grab the girl, pulling her away from this monster, and turn around, letting The Admiral break the chair on my back, sheilding her from the impact. Because of the adrenaline and my Kung Fu training, I didn't even feel the hit. I picked up one of the table legs and did some crazy ninja moves, real quick-like and all. Then I proceeded to break both his arms and legs, beating him to within an inch of his life. Duncan meanwhile is in a rage. He's ready to kill me for what I've done. He starts to pull out his sword, which I didn't even know he'd had. Carter, on the other hand, is just sitting in his chair, mostly covered by black robes and #$%@. I pull out my ninja sword, and Duncan and I fight it out for about ten minutes. He was good, dang good. For awhile it looked like he might win, but then I tapped into the darkside and cut off his hand. He's lying on the floor bleeding, begging for mercy. I tell him to leave, and never come back to Macadoos. He then gets up, and stumbles to Carter's side. That's when things got weird. You'll never believe this, but Jimmy Carter then lifts up his hands and starts shooting lightening at me! I wasn't prepared for that, so I'm all getting electrocuted and stuff. I was rolling on the floor in pain, thinking all was lost, when suddenly I realized that from this angle I could see up all these chick's skirts. I look over at this cute black-haired girl, and she's going commando. I was also hearing Bill Walton's voice in my head, telling me to use the force, but I ignored that and just focused on this hippie chick's hairy beaver. That's when I knew that I had to live. I stood up, looked Jimmy Carter in the eye, and fighting against his magical-lightening stuff, I made my way step by painful step to him. His eyes got big with shock as he watched me overcome his electricity crap. I then shot my hand at his chest, tore through his ribcage, and pulled out his heart. Naturally, this caused him to explode like a potato in a microwave, sending blood and guts everywhere. I looked around at the mess and said, "And to think I voted for you." In the meantime, Duncan was sitting there, looking at me in horror. He knew that I meant to kill him. I stood there looking down at him for a minute or two, and without breaking eye-contact, I pulled out a cigarette and lit it. I was just about to kill him, when I saw a reflection in his eyes. It was Yao Ming, sneaking up behind me. Before Yao could make his move, I spun around and stabbed him in the eye with my cigarette. While he was screaming in pain, I picked him up by the legs and used him as a club to beat Tim Duncan to death. After that was over, my buddy the bartender poured me a glass of Flying Dog and people were patting me on the back, thanking me for saving them from the evil Duncan. I stayed for a few drinks, then decided to call it a night. But I didn't go home alone. The hairy hippie chick came home with me that night. We're getting married in April. So that's why I can't say that I'm too suprised by this blog."

-Mars

m33p0
01-07-2009, 01:43 AM
just looking at it, it's not him. lol. unless he was heavily drunk, there's no fucking way.

-Mars
wake forest didn't play unc that day.

duncan228
01-07-2009, 02:04 AM
wake forest didn't play unc that day.

It's late, I don't feel like looking it up, but if I remember right there was a game, and it was even a Wednesday. But Wake lost. (And you were right, I shouldn't have posted it :lmao).

This particular evening the Heels had lost at home to Tim Duncan and Wake Forest.

m33p0
01-07-2009, 02:06 AM
It's late, I don't feel like looking it up, but if I remember right there was a game, and it was even a Wednesday. But Wake lost. (And you were right, I shouldn't have posted it :lmao).
thanks for the correction.

this story needs to be buried.

ElNono
01-07-2009, 02:07 AM
This is the closes I remember TD having a brush with the Police: LINK (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54212)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-07-2009, 02:14 AM

You were obviously trying to be funny, but no-one could tell because it wasn't actually funny.

Here'e the story on DeMarr Johnson from the summer:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/MYSA060108_spursdermarrdwi_en__4e16a536_html12338. html

tp2021
01-07-2009, 02:18 AM
This is the closes I remember TD having a brush with the Police: LINK (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54212)

:lol The Onion always has great Timmy articles. You know someone there is a fan.

duncan228
01-07-2009, 02:19 AM
thanks for the correction.

this story needs to be buried.

My fault for bringing it up again.

I did do a quick look so we've got it straight before anyone else bites (or for the next time it makes the rounds).

I found 3 games they played each other that season. Only one was played at Chapel Hill, Wednesday February 19, and Wake lost 74-60. That fact alone should discount the story, but add to it that no one else ever came forward to confirm it leaves no doubt that it's bull. And that's without even considering the kind of guy Duncan is, and seems to have always been.

Obstructed_View
01-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Does AD have to choke a bitch?

BlackBellamy
01-07-2009, 02:42 AM
:lol The Onion always has great Timmy articles. You know someone there is a fan.

That they keep insisting he drives a 1992 Buick LeSabre in all the articles is absolutely wonderful.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-07-2009, 02:49 AM

Athlete Run-Ins: The Angry Tim Duncan. Grrr! (http://deadspin.com/sports/nba/athlete-runins-the-angry-tim-duncan-grrr-138038.php)

In today's second installment of athlete run-in stories, we present a portrayal of Spurs all-world star Tim Duncan, from the olden days, back before he became the Mr. Nice Guy Stud that he is today. We find this story immensely fun just because it's the exact opposite of what pretty much everyone has always thought about Duncan. It comes to us from someone named "Johnny Lazz." Here's an excerpt, with the full story after the jump.

I attended UNC-Chapel Hill. During the 1996-97 hoops season, I was a bouncer in a bar on Franklin Street called Papagayos, which sadly no longer exists. This particular evening the Heels had lost at home to Tim Duncan and Wake Forest. After the game, UNC center and dorky german 7 footer Serge Zwikker made an appearance at the bar. After a few quick drinks, Zwikker and friends left due the amount of jeers and rebukes. On his way out, some Heels fans pelted him with balled-up bar napkins.

Shortly after he leaves, in rolls Tim Duncan with some nondescript non-basketball player. Instantly the bar starts buzzing, as Duncan was dominating the ACC and NCAA at this point, a clear lottery pick. The very same dickhead frat boy UNC students that were harassing Serge immediately fall all over themselves to kiss his ass and buy him drinks. Tim takes it all in stride, happily obliging the sycophants, all dudes. I was working the door, and it wasn't that crowded (slow tues or wed night) so I just stayed at my post, happily zoned out. About an hour later a girl (hot petite blond sorority type; at UNC, they are a dime a dozen) in a panic and tells me someone is molesting her friend at a corner table. As the only bouncer, it is my job to keep order, and I was always quick to eject anyone I heard using racial slurs, homophobes, or harassing women.

(Full disclosure: I am six-foot, 220, an avid martial artist and enjoyed opening the door with people's faces when they had it coming.)

I round the corner to see Tim Duncan forcibly holding a girl around the waist with one arm to sit on his lap and is wiggling her around like a grinding lap-dance motion. She is yelling, "stop it, let go of me," and he is using his other hand to clasp her shoulder and grope her breasts. Now, keep in mind, there are like 4-5 UNC frat type guys AT THE TABLE watching him do this, and not saying shit, some even laughing (cuz apparently date rape is funny), because these were the very same fuckheads who were kissing Duncan's ass, asking him where he wanted to play NBA ball and buying him drinks when he got there. Tim Duncan's back is to me, so I tap him on the shoulder and calmly and quietly tell him to let go of her. He tells me to fuck off, without even turning around.

So I say sternly but calmly something along the lines of, "Well, you are going have to let go of her and get out because you are not welcome here anymore." (I always started things assertive but mellow and zen-like, so as to avoid inflaming drunken macho reactions. If you can control things by keeping calm, things go easier in these situations.) So he lets go, she darts up and runs to the ladies room, he stands up slowly and turns to face me. Now, I am not scared of too many people, but the fact remains: He is way taller, faster, stronger; in every way he will totally dominate me. Martial arts training aside, if I can't take him down fast, like by sweeping his leg and hopefully breaking a knee, I am fucked, because he could've picked me up by my ankles and swung me around like a club against the closest wall.

He looks down at me with total contempt and says, "Fuck off before I kick your ass. Don't you know who I am?" Now, inside I am crapping my pants, but fighting is all about controlling your fear, so on the outside I am (or am trying to be) John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Bruce Lee all rolled into one. I look him dead in the eye (as best I am able given the height difference) and say, word for word (I will never forget, and I still don't know where I came up with this): "Look TIM, you ain't in the NBA yet. Now if you don't get the fuck out of here right now I am gonna call ESPN, Sports Illustrated, and Coach Odom as soon as I get done breaking your knee and ruining your fucking career." He is stunned by my audacity, like the lion regarding the mouse that roared.

Then he gets this weird look on his face, like he is mulling over what a bad idea it would be to get in a fight over this kind of thing at a Chapel Hill bar so publicly. Then he says "Fuck you. This place sucks. I am OUTTA HERE!" like it was his idea, like I had pissed in his margarita or something. I hollered at his back "Good! Get the fuck out, that's all I asked!" to the applause of the few patrons at the bar. I ended up going home with the pretty brunette he had been harassing, having played her Knight-in-shining flannel.

The weird thing is, he goes on to get drafted by the Spurs, spends his rookie offseason living with David Robinson and getting counseled on how to conduct yourself in the pros, craft the perfect media-friendly role-model image... to think this guy could have just as easily become the next Rasheed Wallace without the wise council of the Admiral.

The more rings Tim gets, and the longer he goes on as a NBA role model, the less likely people are to believe this, but I was there, and I had plenty of witnesses. Yes, it was a long time ago and people change, but that night that fucker was way out of line.

:lmao

What a jerk-rag... this guy has some serious delusions going on in his head - note the emboldened bit. And the "quotes" are absurd.

Admittedly I do not know TD personally and probably never will, but I drove a cab for 6 years and I know people, and I understand character, and I don't believe a word of that story. If Duncan had that sort of viciousness in him we would have seen it more than once. Instead, all other reports indicate him to be a man of excellent character. Believing this story would be like denying the reality of enhanced global warming - clinging to one inplausible piece of contrary evidence rather than seeing the huge bloody tapestry of legitimate evidence! :rolleyes

duncan228
01-07-2009, 02:58 AM
:lmao

That's the only reason I brought it out. It's roll-on-the-floor funny.

deadratsam
01-07-2009, 03:21 AM
I don't know if I'm just in a melodramatic mood but that Daniels story is incredibly sad, like Shakespearean tragedy sad.

TampaDude
01-07-2009, 07:36 AM

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/bsflag.gif

Slomo
01-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Bruce Bowen ate his dinner with a salad fork at a charity event last year - Good thing his PR people kept it out of the national media...

Talk about socially unacceptable behavior!

:p:

mrspurs
01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
google it...........