PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Mason, Bonner Lobby To Join 3-Point Shootout

duncan228
01-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Mason, Bonner lobby to join 3-point Shootout (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mason_Bonner_lobby_to_join_3-point_Shootout.html)
Jeff McDonald

As a basketball-loving kid growing up in the suburbs of Washington, Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. would make a point each year of watching the NBA's 3-point Shootout associated with All-Star weekend.

One of his lasting childhood memories is of Larry Bird winning the 1988 contest, confidently walking away before his final attempt swished through the net. It is one of Mason's goals to follow his 3-point shooting heroes onto the All-Star weekend stage.

“That would be a dream for me,” Mason said. “If they decide to put me in, I'd be thrilled to go.”

The NBA won't announce the field for this year's contest in Phoenix until next month, but if Mason keeps doing what he's been doing, he should be a shoo-in.

Mason is shooting 47 percent from the 3-point line and leads the Spurs with 77 3-pointers made. Heading into Tuesday's slate of games, he was the only player in the league to rank in the top six in both categories.

One of Mason's prime competitors for a spot, meanwhile, can be found just across the locker room. Matt Bonner, the Spurs' center, ranks second in the league in 3-point accuracy at 48 percent (47 of 98) — just ahead of Mason.

It is highly unlikely the league would select two players from the same team, meaning one Spur will probably make the contest at the expense of the other.

Mason good-naturedly says it should be him.

“He's a great shooter,” Mason said, “but I've got the makes.”

Bonner thinks it should be both of them. Barring that, he believes his numbers should be graded on a curve.

“I'm a big man,” Bonner said. “I think they need some diversity.”

R&R at last: The Spurs finished up another grueling stretch of the schedule with three victories in four days, capped by Monday night's 91-84 victory at Miami.

Two of those victories came on the road.

Now, the schedule loosens a bit, with the Spurs getting multiple days off between each of their next three games, all of them at home.

“It seems like we've been playing every night lately,” Spurs forward Kurt Thomas said. “Hopefully, we can use this time to rest our bodies, because we've got another tough stretch of games coming before the All-Star break. We definitely need to take advantage of it.”

The Spurs face the L.A. Clippers on Thursday before welcoming red-hot Orlando on Sunday and the conference-leading L.A. Lakers the following Wednesday.

No doubting: Thomas signed a two-year deal worth $8 million to return to the Spurs, then the 36-year-old showed up at training camp with a strained hamstring, missed most of the preseason and spent the first two months of the season working himself into shape.

“I wondered what the hell to do with him, why we signed him,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “Then he came to me one day and said, ‘OK, I'm ready to go now.'”

Since that day, Thomas has been a fairly useful weapon off Popovich's bench.

He logged 17 minutes in his most recent outing against the Heat, providing two points, four rebounds and a steady dose of interior defense.

“He's been great for us,” Popovich said. “He's been a real pro and a leader on the team. He's been fantastic.”

pawe
01-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the news D228!
I hope Mason gets in. It would be nice to watch him own the 3point land in Phoenix!

m33p0
01-07-2009, 12:16 AM
come on, people! get off the bonner bandwagon and PUSH! we need to get this party going again! :lol

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
01-07-2009, 12:17 AM
I Say Go Wit Mason! He Can Shoot A Little Faster Than Bonner Imo. I Think He Would Do Better Than Bonner!!!!!

Brutalis
01-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Lol Bonner? You have to be a consistently GOOD 3p shooter. Not here and there.

Mason should be in it, if not it's a shame.

m33p0
01-07-2009, 12:27 AM

they'd be hard-pressed to ignore him. as someone noted in another thread, amongst the top-10 3pt%, he's the only one who is also at the top 10 3pts made.

Drachen
01-07-2009, 12:28 AM
um put in tim duncan! didn't anyone see that shootout thing with him david and that chick?

EricB
01-07-2009, 12:29 AM

I'd say third in the league in 3PT% is good.

PM5K
01-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Bonner shoots a little slow compared to Mason Jr...

raspsa
01-07-2009, 12:30 AM
I think Bonner and Mason should each do a video on why they should be chosen.. would be hilarious I think.. if amare and Bosh can do it, why not?

Rogue
01-07-2009, 12:43 AM
I would rather like Bowen to show in the 3-point contest.

Why the hell are we debating on this meaningless issue? Mason and Bonner are both good shooters but there are still dozens of better shooters out there in other teams, and neither Mason nor Bonner is among top10 3-shooters of the league. The 3point contest of all-star weekend just allows 6 guys to compete.

m33p0
01-07-2009, 12:50 AM

Why the hell are we debating on this meaningless issue? Mason and Bonner are both good shooters but there are still dozens of better shooters out there in other teams, and neither Mason nor Bonner is among top10 3-shooters of the league. The 3point contest of all-star weekend just allows 6 guys to compete.
both are in the top 10 3pt% and mason in the top 10 3ptm.

3pt%
2. bonner .567
3. mason .429

3ptm
6. mason 77
44. bonner 47
http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/3PointS.jsp?league=00&season=22008&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=4&splitDD=All%20Teams

sprrs
01-07-2009, 12:54 AM
neither Mason nor Bonner is among top10 3-shooters of the league. The 3point contest of all-star weekend just allows 6 guys to compete.

Mason is shooting 47 percent from the 3-point line and leads the Spurs with 77 3-pointers made. Heading into Tuesday's slate of games, he was the only player in the league to rank in the top six in both categories.

One of Mason's prime competitors for a spot, meanwhile, can be found just across the locker room. Matt Bonner, the Spurs' center, ranks second in the league in 3-point accuracy at 48 percent (47 of 98) — just ahead of Mason.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-07-2009, 12:55 AM

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nba3ptpct&league=nba&sort=3p%&order=true&season=2009

timtonymanu
01-07-2009, 01:09 AM
haha. i wanna see Mason make it just to piss off the Suns fans. When he shoots 3's from the left corner, Suns fans will be remembering he's the one that cost them a win.

Blackjack
01-07-2009, 01:11 AM
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nba3ptpct&league=nba&sort=3p%&order=true&season=2009

mrspurs has been somewhat coherent lately, seems like Rogue is looking to pick up the slack.:lol

Behrooz24
01-07-2009, 01:12 AM
haha. i wanna see Mason make it just to piss off the Suns fans. When he shoots 3's from the left corner, Suns fans will be remembering he's the one that cost them a win.

:lmao :flag:

Yorae
Would it be a first time where a 3 pt shootout contestant get booed???

m33p0
that's the plan.:lol

tp2021
01-07-2009, 02:58 AM
come on, people! get off the bonner bandwagon and PUSH! we need to get this party going again! :lol

As soon as I reluctantly hopped off, it started moving in the first place.

MoSpur
01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
History shows that Spurs in the three-point contest don't do too good. I would like to see Mason in there though.

m33p0
01-07-2009, 10:05 AM
As soon as I reluctantly hopped off, it started moving in the first place.
you can still catch up. it has problems changing gears.

1Parker1
01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I think Mason's 3 point buzzer beater on XMAS day against the Suns on National TV definitely will help his cause. Also, I believe earlier in the season he had a 3 point buzzer beater when Parker and Ginobili were out as well.

in2deep
01-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I will be rootin for Money Mason!

xtremesteven33
01-07-2009, 12:04 PM
If he wins what a great injection of confidence into Roger. :)

If he loses,lets hope its not a bad omen. :(

DarrinS
01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I say, put Shaq in the contest for comedy relief.

Spurs Brazil
01-07-2009, 02:17 PM
I'd like to see Mason there and I think he'd have a good chance to win

phyzik
01-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Would it be a first time where a 3 pt shootout contestant get booed???

That would be so freaking awesome! :rollin

I'd love it if Mason gets in their and starts to get booed only to win the contest! :lol