PDA

View Full Version : Would you track your kids via GPS?

JudynTX
01-07-2009, 10:38 AM
A satellite tracking device that will plot a child's location to within 10ft is being launched by a British firm.

The Nu.M8 digital watch uses GPS satellite technology like car sat nav systems.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/ladyspur/watch.jpg

The watch can be securely fastened to a child's wrist and will trigger an alert if forcibly removed. Parents can then track their children on a website.

Parents who text 'wru', or click 'where r you' on the secure website, will be able to see the child's location on Google maps and the street address and postcode will also be displayed.

So-called 'safe zones' can also be set up in which children can play safely and an alert will be sent to the parent's mobile phone and computer if the child strays out of that area.

The watch has been launched against a background of increasing fears among parents about the safety of their children.

As a result, youngsters are ferried to school by car, rather than walking or taking the bus, while fewer are allowed out to play in the park.

Recent reports have indicated that one in four children aged eight to ten have never played outside without a parent or guardian present, and one in three parents will not even allow older children, aged eight to 15, to play outside the house or garden unsupervised.

Steve Salmon of the watch's Worcestershire-based developers Lok8u said: 'This product gives parents the reassurance of knowing where their children are, any time, anywhere.

'Hopefully girls and boys can now be given the freedom to play outside that I enjoyed as a child.

'The overriding aim of Nu.M8 is to give children their freedom and parents peace of mind.'

However this comes at a price. The watch costs £149.99 and there is a monthly charge of up to £19.99 depending on level of use.

Michele Elliott, director of children's charity Kidscape, has reservations about using satellites to track youngsters.

She said: 'Anything that makes children safer is a good thing but is the world really that unsafe that parents need to electronically track their children? I don't think so.'

The watch will be launched this week at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

link (http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1106883/Worried-parents-track-children-GPS-locator-watch.html)

Blake
01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I think I would like knowing where that if my daughter were kidnapped that we could find her....

I just can't help but think that one day we will hear of kids found murdered with missing hands, cut off at the wrist.....

which will lead to people wanting to place GPS chips under the skin, which on the surface I can't really find anything wrong with.........but it just makes me uneasy.

JudynTX
01-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I think I would like knowing where that if my daughter were kidnapped that we could find her....

I just can't help but think that one day we will hear of kids found murdered with missing hands, cut off at the wrist.....

which will lead to people wanting to place GPS chips under the skin, which on the surface I can't really find anything wrong with.........but it just makes me uneasy.

:tu Yea, wrist GPS is next.

mexicanjunior
01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I would track via GPS if it was done thru a cell phone or device they would normally carry. I wouldn't force my child to wear that big bulky watch and be ridiculed at school for it.

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Nah. I refuse to put that gps chip in my dog.

mrsmaalox
01-07-2009, 11:52 AM
I would definitely use GPS tracking in the car when they become driving age. Maybe not permanently, just a probationary period.

Frenzy
01-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I would track via GPS if it was done thru a cell phone or device they would normally carry. I wouldn't force my child to wear that big bulky watch and be ridiculed at school for it.

oh something hidden.

like just implant it in them when they asleep :grim:

phyzik
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I think its a violation of their rights and wouldn't do it. Besides that, your telling your kid you don't trust them. If we are talking infants or toddlers that may be a different story but the moral implications are much too great for me if we are talking teenagers.

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM

If it would make my kid safer I wouldn't give a damn about any ridiculing at school. Besides, my kid is a nerd and I'm proud of it.

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Kids rights!?!? Please.

I. Hustle
01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
lol "their rights" :lol :lmao

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I think its a violation of their rights and wouldn't do it. Besides that, your telling your kid you don't trust them. If we are talking infants or toddlers that may be a different story but the moral implications are much too great for me if we are talking teenagers.

I can understand that but to me it is not a matter of trust but about caring about my kids and I don't see that diminishing as they get older.

angel_luv
01-07-2009, 12:05 PM
No.

I agree with Blake that this product will eventually lead to people wanting to place GPS chips under the skin.

So in the light of that, I am against it.
I think we are in ways ( some, not all) getting too technological for our own good.

phyzik
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Kids rights!?!? Please.

But why stop with the Children, lets just tag everyone so we all know where everyone else is all of the time! :rolleyes

I just see it as a bad road to travel, where does it end?

Besides that, what good is the watch going to do if someone does kidnap the child. what, its going to alert you of that fact? Sure they can track it but lets not pretend the would-be kidnappers are going to be completely oblivious to this new tech, sure there may be a few to start. Those that do know about it will just toss it out the window.

tonylongoriafan
01-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Nah. I refuse to put that gps chip in my dog.

that watch sucks...imbed the chip under the skin like a dog

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
But why stop with the Children, lets just tag everyone so we all know where everyone else is all of the time! :rolleyes

I just see it as a bad road to travel, where does it end?

Besides that, what good is the watch going to do if someone does kidnap the child. what, its going to alert you of that fact? Sure they can track it but lets not pretend the would-be kidnappers are going to be completely oblivious to this new tech, sure there may be a few to start. Those that do know about it will just toss it out the window.

I can understand your concern but my first concern is the safety of my children. I wouldn't go this far.....yet. And I know that it wouldn't stop most child predators.

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 12:15 PM
...imbed the chip under the skin like a dog

That's what I refuse to do to my dog. We needed new tags and they told us Texas doesn't do tags anymore, just chips under the skin.

F that haha.

It's only a matter of time before all people and animals have them though.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
This is so fucking stupid I shouldn't even have to explain why.

I Love Me Some Me
01-07-2009, 12:52 PM

Mark of the beast, baby!!!!!

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 12:58 PM
This is so fucking stupid I shouldn't even have to explain why.

I'd like to know why even if it is a stupid reason.

CavsSuperFan
01-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Teenagers would use the device to track down & humiliate their parents…

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 12:59 PM

I was waiting for that. :lmao

I Love Me Some Me
01-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I was waiting for that. :lmao

I'm surprised Angel wasn't the one to introduce it!

Blake
01-07-2009, 01:03 PM

exactly.

and with Obama now our President?

*shivers*

Blake
01-07-2009, 01:09 PM
lol x 2 @ kids rights

Blake
01-07-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm surprised Angel wasn't the one to introduce it!

we all know she was thinking it

mexicanjunior
01-07-2009, 01:17 PM
oh something hidden.

like just implant it in them when they asleep :grim:

I would never be for implanting anything in someone's body to keep track of them. If it something they carry out, like a cell phone or maybe something in the car they are driving (probably borrowed from me), I don't see what would be wrong with that. Also, I would still respect my child's right to some freedom and would only use it if it was something out of the ordinary, like maybe not checking in with me overnight or being missing...

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 01:30 PM
What is with the "child's right to freedom"? Maybe this the problem with kids today because they feel they deserve "freedom" from parents at such an early age. Not in my house. As long as my kids live in under my roof they need to understand OUR rules. I give mine their privacy but they know I can go into their rooms at any time and I don't need no damn search warrant.

DarkReign
01-07-2009, 03:10 PM
What is with the "child's right to freedom"? Maybe this the problem with kids today because they feel they deserve "freedom" from parents at such an early age. Not in my house. As long as my kids live in under my roof they need to understand OUR rules. I give mine their privacy but they know I can go into their rooms at any time and I don't need no damn search warrant.

Youre overprotective, trying to compensate from a media that has driven you to fear-mongering.

The chances fo your child succumbing to a predator are close to nill. The chances of your child be kidnapped, also so close to zero it might as well be.

But since you only see what the media shows you, and hear what they tell you, you live in fear of a society that has no ill intention for you or your oh-so-invaluable children.

Basically, youre pussified and pacified. Sufficently scared of the outside world that global tracking systems for children actually became a viable market.

If this isnt CrazyWorld, Orwell wrote about Utopia.

DarkReign
01-07-2009, 03:11 PM
I bet you make your kids wear helmets when they ride bikes, too, huh?

DarkReign
01-07-2009, 03:14 PM
People, in general, put enitrely too much significance on their children. There was a time when the weak died and the strong lived.

If your kid is dumb enough to die in some accidental fashion from lack of self-preservation understanding, that was called "nature rules".

These counter-measures we as a society try to put in place are why I think this country's collective IQ has taken a steep hit in recent generations. The weak ones didnt die the way they were supposed to.

But thats another argument.

Blake
01-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Youre overprotective, trying to compensate from a media that has driven you to fear-mongering.

The chances fo your child succumbing to a predator are close to nill. The chances of your child be kidnapped, also so close to zero it might as well be.

But since you only see what the media shows you, and hear what they tell you, you live in fear of a society that has no ill intention for you or your oh-so-invaluable children.

Basically, youre pussified and pacified. Sufficently scared of the outside world that global tracking systems for children actually became a viable market.

If this isnt CrazyWorld, Orwell wrote about Utopia.

there's opposite ends of that spectrum. You are definitely on one end of it.

Blake
01-07-2009, 03:15 PM

I bet you don't have kids.

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 03:30 PM

Damn right I do. And their seat belts too for they are my most precious cargo.

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 03:31 PM
People, in general, put enitrely too much significance on their children. There was a time when the weak died and the strong lived.

If your kid is dumb enough to die in some accidental fashion from lack of self-preservation understanding, that was called "nature rules".

These counter-measures we as a society try to put in place are why I think this country's collective IQ has taken a steep hit in recent generations. The weak ones didnt die the way they were supposed to.

But thats another argument.

What ever rocks your boat. I'm protective and I don't give a damn what you think.

to21
01-07-2009, 03:35 PM
FIRST, if you don't have kids, you can't tell someone not to be protective of theirs.

Next, we have a OBLIGATION as parents to protect our kids, not shelter them from the world. You guys are arguing about kid's rights, which like JC they have none in my house. It has nothing to do about trust. I have a good kid and I trust him, it's all the other crazy fucks I don't.

mexicanjunior
01-07-2009, 03:36 PM

I feel bad for your kids (if you have any)...

01-07-2009, 03:37 PM

To put it into perspective, a child has 10x the risk of dying while playing youth sports than of being kidnapped.

Ban youth sports.

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 03:38 PM
FIRST, if you don't have kids, you can't tell someone not to be protective of theirs.

Next, we have a OBLIGATION as parents to protect our kids, not shelter them from the world. You guys are arguing about kid's rights, which like JC they have none in my house. It has nothing to do about trust. I have a good kid and I trust him, it's all the other crazy fucks I don't.

+1 Exactly.

to21
01-07-2009, 03:42 PM
To put it into perspective, a child has 10x the risk of dying while playing youth sports than of being kidnapped.

Ban youth sports.I knew this argument was gonna go here. When my kid plays football, I know he's on the field playing football. When he's out with his friends, you never know exactly.

The two are not even remotely the same.

01-07-2009, 03:45 PM
I knew this argument was gonna go here. When my kid plays football, I know he's on the field playing football. When he's out with his friends, you never know exactly.

The two are not even remotely the same.

Over ninety percent of abductions come from family or friends of family.

You're better off introducing your child to complete strangers than your own inner circle.

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Okay, I understand what DR is saying. When I was a kid I never wore a helmet when riding my bike but I did crack my skull open and came home with a face full of blood and I lived and me and my brother were gone from sun up to sun down during our summer days. But we were boys and times were different. I admit that I am very protective of my girls and while I know that I cannot protect them 24/7 I will do everything in my power to do so. I see young girls walking around after dark and while that may be fine for some parents I just don't roll that way. If my oldest goes to a friends house I must know the address and have a phone# to that friends parent/guardian who live in that house. No excuses. But that is just me. I may be in the minority and not a "cool" parent but those are my rules.

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
double post

phyzik
01-07-2009, 03:49 PM
This watch is just another form of this monstrosity.

http://my.detroitmagic.com/fay/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/kid-leash.jpg

I dont know how anyone can see that and not feel how degrading it is for both the child and the parent, the worst part is the child cant even understand how degrading it is. Can you imagine putting something like that on an 11 year old? :lmao

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 03:51 PM

I dont know how anyone can see that and not feel how degrading it is for both the child and the parent, the worst part is the child cant even understand how degrading it is.

I've never done that but as a parent I can certainly understand it.

to21
01-07-2009, 03:52 PM

You're better off introducing your child to complete strangers than your own inner circle.This may be true....if so, I would still want to know where my kid is in those types of situations.

I hear what your saying, and I let my kid hang out with his friends, I just have to know exactly where he is at ALL times. I even get an email at work sent to me when he's late to a class or has missed one.

2Blonde
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Hell yes!!! I already do! We put a GPS locator in my daughter's car when she started driving. It tells us where she is, how fast she is going, how long she was at someplace, when the ignition is turned off & on. You can also set electronic fences. If the car ventures outside a certain geographical area you have set up during a specified time it will alert you. That's great to make sure they don't leave the school during school hours. It also gets us a discount on our insurance as an anti-theft device. She hated having it at first but changed her mind after she had that accident on Borgfeld in August. It proved she wasn't speeding when the accident happened.
And before any of you say how she'll find a way to sneak around it, I realize that if she wants to get away with something all she has to do is go in someone else's car but then it will tell me she left her car sitting somewhere for 4 hours or whatever. It isn't foolproof but it's one more tool in our arsenal of parenting a teenager.

CuckingFunt
01-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Okay, I understand what DR is saying. When I was a kid I never wore a helmet when riding my bike but I did crack my skull open and came home with a face full of blood and I lived and me and my brother were gone from sun up to sun down during our summer days. But we were boys and times were different. I admit that I am very protective of my girls and while I know that I cannot protect them 24/7 I will do everything in my power to do so. I see young girls walking around after dark and while that may be fine for some parents I just don't roll that way. If my oldest goes to a friends house I must know the address and have a phone# to that friends parent/guardian who live in that house. No excuses. But that is just me. I may be in the minority and not a "cool" parent but those are my rules.

That's being a smart parent.

The GPS thing just seems like unnecessary paranoia, though.

01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
The GPS thing just seems like unnecessary paranoia, though.

What? Stranger Danger is real.

I see it on Nancy Grace almost every night.

to21
01-07-2009, 03:58 PM

I dont know how anyone can see that and not feel how degrading it is for both the child and the parent, the worst part is the child cant even understand how degrading it is. Can you imagine putting something like that on an 11 year old? :lmaoTrue story, we were in New Orleans and had just cruised around Jackson Square. At the time the street was closed to let tourist walk around. Later that day as we were walking back to our hotel, I hadn't noticed they opened the street and cars were coming down it (very fast). My kid bolted away and was making a mad dash into the street. I was pretty far from him (he's mom put him down for a sec) and I ran after him. If not for a stranger who snatched him up at the very last second he would have for sure been killed. I needed that thing that day.

I don't use them, put I can see why someone would....not on an 11 year old tho...:lol

Kermit
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Hell yes.

But right now I'm trying to get my head wrapped around fused labia. How the fuck is that even possible. Now I've got to give my little one estrogen, and she's going have the biggest fifteen month-old breasts in her class! So yes, GPS for me please. Last thing I need is little Timmy feeling her up and asking his mommy if she can come over for cookies.

DarkReign
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Okay, I understand what DR is saying. When I was a kid I never wore a helmet when riding my bike but I did crack my skull open and came home with a face full of blood and I lived and me and my brother were gone from sun up to sun down during our summer days. But we were boys and times were different.

No they werent. Not even remotely different. If anything, its better.

Dont harken back to yester-year as some Golden Age when it was far, FAR from it. People talk about the 50s like morality was higher and crime was less.

Thats complete and utter bullshit.

The ONLY difference between when you were young and now is the 24hour news cycle.

Thats it.

I Love Me Some Me
01-07-2009, 04:10 PM

I dont know how anyone can see that and not feel how degrading it is for both the child and the parent, the worst part is the child cant even understand how degrading it is. Can you imagine putting something like that on an 11 year old? :lmao

Katt Williams has a funny bit about those things.

phyzik
01-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Hell yes!!! I already do! We put a GPS locator in my daughter's car when she started driving. It tells us where she is, how fast she is going, how long she was at someplace, when the ignition is turned off & on. You can also set electronic fences. If the car ventures outside a certain geographical area you have set up during a specified time it will alert you. That's great to make sure they don't leave the school during school hours. It also gets us a discount on our insurance as an anti-theft device. She hated having it at first but changed her mind after she had that accident on Borgfeld in August. It proved she wasn't speeding when the accident happened.
And before any of you say how she'll find a way to sneak around it, I realize that if she wants to get away with something all she has to do is go in someone else's car but then it will tell me she left her car sitting somewhere for 4 hours or whatever. It isn't foolproof but it's one more tool in our arsenal of parenting a teenager.

Its a great concept but you do realize this will be coming in all vehicles when OBD3 is released, its a double edged sword... its already partly in place with on-star.

Dont you feel just a little uncomfortable that "the man" will be able to mail you a speeding ticket just by accessing the system and no one ever witnessing it first hand?

Take it to the extreme (I doubt it will ever happen) and lets say there is practically no fuel left for our Nation so the government decides to not allow any civilian vehicles to start up and send out a mass termination code.

Insurance companies are already looking into this stuff. Here's a scenario. Your driving down the street, a deer jumps out of the woods and you swerve hitting a wet spot on the road, in a panic you try to correct the slide but freak out and slam on the gas causing you to spin out and hit a tree. The insurance company hears your claim that it was a deer and they pay your claim. They review the data from your car and notice the RPM increase just before your wreck. That may influence them to increase your rate even more since you are an aggressive driver.

what happens when the vindictive girlfriend/boyfriend who works for On-star or even the Department of Motor vehicles decides to screw with your ride?

There are all sorts of good that can be done with these things but there are also all sorts of bad things that they can be abused for. I just think its too much power to have over anyone.

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 04:24 PM

Dont harken back to yester-year as some Golden Age when it was far, FAR from it. People talk about the 50s like morality was higher and crime was less.

The ONLY difference between when you were young and now is the 24hour news cycle.

Thats it.

I disagree. Things HAVE changed, IMO. The way kids act in school these is FAR different then when I was in school. But I could be wrong. I just don't remember kids taking guns to school and punching and sleeping with teachers, although I would have loved to tap some mine, but if you see it differently I can understand that.

DarkReign
01-07-2009, 04:27 PM

I can say any damn thing I want about anything under the sun, thank you much.

Youre absolutely right, you as a parent can put your children through whatever redundant bootcamp of childhood that you have been spoonfed to you by the parental protection agencies looking for donation dollars and a rating-driven media whose sole purpose in fear-mongering is ratings.

Hell, you could even dress your soon-to-be-ridiculed child in a rubber suit for the infinitesimally small chance they might fall down while walking and hurt their precious selves.

But why stop there!

Why dont you put them in an climate controlled (heat/cold confluence), windowless room (UV rays cause cancer!) in your basement (going to need a de-humidifer) where you can sanitize their every meal (germs!) and home school them (kids with germs!) while also teaching them the importance of bike safety and stranger danger.

Or.....or maybe, just maybe....Sheesh I dont know....maybe you could....hmmmm, how to put this...

Maybe you could just go ahead and let them learn on their own. Like you did.

I dont know, I dont know....just an idea.

I mean, Bubble Boy was a stupid movie, but I am now seeing its relevance. Get over it. Half of childhood is learning thru "pain education". Fire is hot, ise water is cold, jumping off a building is a bad idea, dont play in the street, bike tricks are only cool when you land them, etc.

As for a GPS on your kids car, I dont hold the same belief. Obviously, I would never do that, but whatever. Makes sense. At least the chance of teenage death in a car accident is a number greater than ZERO.

Sheesh...

DarkReign
01-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I disagree. Things HAVE changed, IMO. The way kids act in school these is FAR different then when I was in school. But I could be wrong. I just don't remember kids taking guns to school and punching and sleeping with teachers, although I would have loved to tap some mine, but if you see it differently I can understand that. Just don't expect to buy it since to me..it is utter bullshit.

My father was banging his English teacher in 1964. Then she had the nerve to fail him.

Guns to school. Cant argue there. No question.

Teacher assaults were as common then as they are now, IMO. Shit, back then, the teacher would knock your young ass out, then tell your father, who then kicked your ass again FAR worse.

So really you have a prevelance of guns in school. Do you live in a....modest area? The school your children attend, does it have a gun problem?

If it does, then I question your parenthood for sending them there. If it doesnt, youre a self-fulfilling prophecy of "fear = actual threat".

DarkReign
01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Damn right I do. And their seat belts too for they are my most precious cargo.

Did you wear a helmet when you were a kid?

Tell me, howd that work out for you? Brain damaged, I am completely sure, right?

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
I was expecting the "bubble boy" reference to come out and sure enough.

http://fashionindie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/bubble_boy2.jpg

to21
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM

Youre absolutely right, you as a parent can put your children through whatever redundant bootcamp of childhood that you have been spoonfed to you by the parental protection agencies looking for donation dollars and a rating-driven media whose sole purpose in fear-mongering is ratings.

Hell, you could even dress your soon-to-be-ridiculed child in a rubber suit for the infinitesimally small chance they might fall down while walking and hurt their precious selves.

But why stop there!

Why dont you put them in an climate controlled (heat/cold confluence), windowless room (UV rays cause cancer!) in your basement (going to need a de-humidifer) where you can sanitize their every meal (germs!) and home school them (kids with germs!) while also teaching them the importance of bike safety and stranger danger.

Or.....or maybe, just maybe....Sheesh I dont know....maybe you could....hmmmm, how to put this...

I mean, Bubble Boy was a stupid movie, but I am now seeing its relevance. Get over it. Half of childhood is learning thru "pain education". Fire is hot, ise water is cold, jumping off a building is a bad idea, dont play in the street, bike tricks are only cool when you land them, etc.

As for a GPS on your kids car, I dont hold the same belief. Obviously, I would never do that, but whatever. Makes sense. At least the chance of teenage death in a car accident is a number greater than ZERO.

Sheesh...Ur right, you can say whatever the hell you want.

You don't shit about me or how I raise my kids. If I'm a bad parent for wanting to know where my kids are then so be it. You won't see me on the news with CPS asking me about my parenting skills. No where did I say put ur kids in a bubble. My kid plays football, warcraft, eats candy, stays up till four in the morning textn' girls, doesn't bathe as much as he should, but dammit if I know where he is while he does it.

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Did you wear a helmet when you were a kid?

Tell me, howd that work out for you? Brain damaged, I am completely sure, right?

No I didn't but I did crack my skull. I lived. But if wearing a helmet will protect my kids skull then I am all for it. Nobody is forcing you or your kids to wear one.

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
My father was banging his English teacher in 1964. Then she had the nerve to fail him.

Guns to school. Cant argue there. No question.

Teacher assaults were as common then as they are now, IMO. Shit, back then, the teacher would knock your young ass out, then tell your father, who then kicked your ass again FAR worse.

So really you have a prevelance of guns in school. Do you live in a....modest area? The school your children attend, does it have a gun problem?

If it does, then I question your parenthood for sending them there. If it doesnt, youre a self-fulfilling prophecy of "fear = actual threat".

I'm just saying that when I was in school I never heard of any kid assaulting a teacher and I live in a modest area but if you think that guns and violence don't happen in upper class neighborhoods you are sadly mistaken. I'll parent the way I see fit for my children and you more then welcome to do the same. I won't think any more or less of you.

Oh, and your dad is just telling you a story.

DarkReign
01-07-2009, 04:44 PM

See, nothing you said there is overprotective.

but when you start receiving emails when your kid is late to class, or slapping GPS on their wrists, you start to see the poignancy, I guess.

DarkReign
01-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Oh, and your dad is just telling you a story.

A story backed up by his 2 brothers, his sister and his stable of friends.

Oh, and including my mother. They started dating afterword for reasons completely unrelated (obviously).

DarkReign
01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Whatever...

The PTA wins. Score one for fear-mongering.

to21
01-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Whatever...

The PTA wins. Score one for fear-mongering.:rolleyes

You mean you are not part of the clan who doesn't want GPS in cars for fear of big brother sending out a code turning off all cars?

I Love Me Some Me
01-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I really just want a GPS on my daugher's clothes, and I want to be notified when they start to come off.

ToughActinTinactin
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
A story backed up by his 2 brothers, his sister and his stable of friends.

Oh, and including my mother. They started dating afterword for reasons completely unrelated (obviously).

Your dad must be into voyeurism.

Blake
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM

Ban youth sports.

not even in the same galaxy of being two related issues.

Blake
01-07-2009, 05:16 PM

You're better off introducing your child to complete strangers than your own inner circle.

great. So when my child's GPS signal goes off and it shows she's at Uncle Albert's house, I'll know right away whose ass to kick.

apples and monkeys.

01-07-2009, 05:17 PM
not even in the same galaxy of being two related issues.

Which is why I didn't say they were related.

Thanks, though.

01-07-2009, 05:18 PM
great. So when my child's GPS signal goes off and it shows she's at Uncle Albert's house, I'll know right away whose ass to kick.

apples and monkeys.

So you'd make your kid wear a locater when with family?

01-07-2009, 05:20 PM
AH, I gotcha. Uncle Al would snatch the kid and leave the locater on.

Right.

Blake
01-07-2009, 05:20 PM

Thats it.

The difference is today we have learned from our mistakes.

Obviously you still ride around without your helmet.

Blake
01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Its a great concept but you do realize this will be coming in all vehicles when OBD3 is released, its a double edged sword... its already partly in place with on-star.

Dont you feel just a little uncomfortable that "the man" will be able to mail you a speeding ticket just by accessing the system and no one ever witnessing it first hand?

Take it to the extreme (I doubt it will ever happen) and lets say there is practically no fuel left for our Nation so the government decides to not allow any civilian vehicles to start up and send out a mass termination code.

Insurance companies are already looking into this stuff. Here's a scenario. Your driving down the street, a deer jumps out of the woods and you swerve hitting a wet spot on the road, in a panic you try to correct the slide but freak out and slam on the gas causing you to spin out and hit a tree. The insurance company hears your claim that it was a deer and they pay your claim. They review the data from your car and notice the RPM increase just before your wreck. That may influence them to increase your rate even more since you are an aggressive driver.

what happens when the vindictive girlfriend/boyfriend who works for On-star or even the Department of Motor vehicles decides to screw with your ride?

There are all sorts of good that can be done with these things but there are also all sorts of bad things that they can be abused for. I just think its too much power to have over anyone.

now see, this is a good example of paranoia......just on the flip side.

by the way, those camera speeding tickets have been constantly getting tossed out as unconstitutional.

Blake
01-07-2009, 05:30 PM

But why stop there!

Sheesh...

Im betting your favorite movie is 300.........just a hunch

Molester
01-07-2009, 05:30 PM

I don't see why.

Blake
01-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Which is why I didn't say they were related.

Thanks, though.

so you make "put it in perspective" posts that are unrelated for the hell of it.

gotcha.

01-07-2009, 05:34 PM
so you make "put it in perspective" posts that are unrelated for the hell of it.

gotcha.

In reference to another post that brought up the odds of this danger, which many believe is real, happening, I brought up something that isn't perceived as a danger yet is 10x as likely as happening.

Is this paint by post?

Blake
01-07-2009, 05:37 PM

Every situation is different. "Family" can mean a whole lot of different things to different people.

But if my daughter goes to Disneyworld with Uncle Al and family, I think the GPS is not a bad idea at all.

My daughter is five and I have already taught her about people touching her in the wrong places and telling us.

Of course, according to DR, I should just throw her out there and let her learn the "touching rule" on her own.

Good Lord.

Blake
01-07-2009, 05:53 PM
In reference to another post that brought up the odds of this danger, which many believe is real, happening, I brought up something that isn't perceived as a danger yet is 10x as likely as happening.

Is this paint by post?

why am I not surprised you dont get it

you could post 100000 other things that arent perceived as dangerous but actually are more dangerous and it would be equally pointless.

If the odds are one in a million that my kid ever gets kidnapped, but a wrist watch can increase those odds to one in a billion, then even a jeenyus such as yourself can see that it just might be worth the minimal effort.

Winehole23
01-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Tracking your kids with a GPS may tend to preempt the development of personal integrity, while tacitly conveying mistrust. Not a road I'd like to go down.

Do it or don't do it. Your choice. Cars and little babies at least makes sense.

I didn't need it. Almost all of us didn't. I think there's damn few who actually do right now. The need is artificial. You don't gotta have a kiddie GPS.

Mostly it's a security blanket for parents, to help comfort them in their insecurity and powerlessness over their children.

01-07-2009, 06:47 PM
why am I not surprised you dont get it

you could post 100000 other things that arent perceived as dangerous but actually are more dangerous and it would be equally pointless.

If the odds are one in a million that my kid ever gets kidnapped, but a wrist watch can increase those odds to one in a billion, then even a jeenyus such as yourself can see that it just might be worth the minimal effort.

The wristwatch is stupid because it can be taken off within seconds so why even bother discussing it.

If something was implanted into a wrist/hand/shoulder, then wouldn't this actually give an incentive for physical harm where one might not of existed?

The numbers would decrease, not increase in your scenario and I still think the need isn't there. In fact, I think it'd create a false sense of security for parents and do more harm than good. Parents need to look after their children more, not less, IMO.

J.T.
01-07-2009, 09:49 PM
I thought the car GPS thing was complete and utter bullshit when 2Blonde talked about it in the summer and my opinion hasn't changed one bit. If it had happened to me, me and my friends would have made an event out of disabling it and then going for a spin around the neighborhood with a cigarette box filled with joints and a case of Budweiser while swerving frequently, knocking over mailboxes, and consistently speeding no less than 20 miles over the limit. My parents would have replaced it or fixed it, and the process would repeat again.

If I ever have children, it will probably be because it was an accident and the woman spent the abortion money on a new pair of shoes. I don't think kids should be allowed to do whatever they want, whenever they want, but if they aren't fucking up in school and you don't walk in on them mainlining heroin or in bed with their boyfriend/girlfriend when you come home from work two hours earlier than you said you would, then cut them a fucking break. It's just like...modifying human development to me. Everyone I know has stories about sneaking out of the house at night and going to do crazy shit with their friends. I guess this new teenager LOJACK shit put an end to that.

Blake
01-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Tracking your kids with a GPS may tend to preempt the development of personal integrity, while tacitly conveying mistrust. Not a road I'd like to go down.

I didn't need it. Almost all of us didn't. I think there's damn few who actually do right now. The need is artificial. You don't gotta have a kiddie GPS.

Mostly it's a security blanket for parents, to help comfort them in their insecurity and powerlessness over their children.

yeah, I pretty much agree. I'm most likely never gonna mess with any GPS thing for my kid. Hell I think guys that use it on th golf course are worthless douchebags.

as for the GPS in the car, if my kid started doing things that ticked me off, I might start up with it.......but not initially.

Blake
01-07-2009, 10:10 PM
The wristwatch is stupid because it can be taken off within seconds so why even bother discussing it.

If something was implanted into a wrist/hand/shoulder, then wouldn't this actually give an incentive for physical harm where one might not of existed?

The numbers would decrease, not increase in your scenario and I still think the need isn't there. In fact, I think it'd create a false sense of security for parents and do more harm than good. Parents need to look after their children more, not less, IMO.

according to the original post, an alarm goes off if the wristband is removed.

again, there are situations such as traveling overseas, amusement parks, and a number of other scenarios where a GPS might be handy.

People that say "parents need to look after their kids more, not less" are right but usually have no kids and have no clue wtf they are talking about. It takes all of 3 seconds to turn around to have your kid(s) get into a world of trouble.

2Blonde
01-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I thought the car GPS thing was complete and utter bullshit when 2Blonde talked about it in the summer and my opinion hasn't changed one bit. If it had happened to me, me and my friends would have made an event out of disabling it and then going for a spin around the neighborhood with a cigarette box filled with joints and a case of Budweiser while swerving frequently, knocking over mailboxes, and consistently speeding no less than 20 miles over the limit. My parents would have replaced it or fixed it, and the process would repeat again.

If I ever have children, it will probably be because it was an accident and the woman spent the abortion money on a new pair of shoes. I don't think kids should be allowed to do whatever they want, whenever they want, but if they aren't fucking up in school and you don't walk in on them mainlining heroin or in bed with their boyfriend/girlfriend when you come home from work two hours earlier than you said you would, then cut them a fucking break. It's just like...modifying human development to me. Everyone I know has stories about sneaking out of the house at night and going to do crazy shit with their friends. I guess this new teenager LOJACK shit put an end to that.

Replace it?!?! Hell she'd lose her Freakin' car. It's not like we owe our children a car. That mentality must be the same one that thinks we should keep giving our kid's allowance when they do nothing to earn it or buy them designer clothes because they want it. Sorry, in my house you EARN things when you do things right and you lose them when screw up. I always love how people who have no kids always seem to know how badly we, who are parents, are fucking up so badly.:lmao When you finally do screw up enough to become a parent, then we'll talk about this on your child's 16th birthday! When you have a child, you want better for them... not the same stupid ass shit that you or I did as teenagers. The population of the world has increased many times over since I was a teen, so driving buzzed 30 years ago meant the chances of a serious accident were significantly less due to the fact that fewer people were on the road. Pot is way more potent today than when I turned 16 in 1978. Most of the designer drugs were still just a little molecule of an idea in the brain of the kid down the street who spent way too much time in the garage, smoking pot,, dropping acid masturbating to daddy's Playboy's while listening to Gene Simmons full blast in the eight track.

And just b/c my daughter isn't mainlining heroin in bed with her boyfriend ( well at least I think not), doesn't mean I should be happy if she was on the honor roll but blowing every guy at school(I'm some what sure she's not doing that anymore:p:).

BTW, a couple of weeks ago my daughter's car was rear-ended by another teenager who was texting. The difference with how my daughter handled this situation and the wreck this summer were like night & day. It's amazing how much easier it is to deal with these things when you know you weren't doing anything wrong. She realized that too.
Peace out.

2Blonde
01-07-2009, 10:26 PM

Of course it's a security blanket. That's the whole point! I have no problem with a security blanket that tells me where my daughter might be, or at least give me a chance to find my daughter if god forbid she was car-jacked broken down somewhere or assaulted.

Winehole23
01-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Of course it's a security blanket. That's the whole point! I have no problem with a security blanket that tells me where my daughter might be, or at least give me a chance to find my daughter if god forbid she was car-jacked broken down somewhere or assaulted.I can understand making provision for worst-case type scenarios, especially where children are involved.

If the GPS never comes in handy the cost is minimal, but if you need it even once, it will have been more than worth it. I get that.

If it puts your mind at ease I get that too. It doesn't mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD6bQ3DQSLA

(vid will not embed)

ploto
01-08-2009, 12:15 AM
As long as these things are an augmentation and are not used as a replacement for parental responsibility then I have no problem with it. My main concern is parents having a false sense of security because of electronic devices.

J.T.
01-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Replace it?!?! Hell she'd lose her Freakin' car. It's not like we owe our children a car. That mentality must be the same one that thinks we should keep giving our kid's allowance when they do nothing to earn it or buy them designer clothes because they want it. Sorry, in my house you EARN things when you do things right and you lose them when screw up. I always love how people who have no kids always seem to know how badly we, who are parents, are fucking up so badly.:lmao When you finally do screw up enough to become a parent, then we'll talk about this on your child's 16th birthday! When you have a child, you want better for them... not the same stupid ass shit that you or I did as teenagers. The population of the world has increased many times over since I was a teen, so driving buzzed 30 years ago meant the chances of a serious accident were significantly less due to the fact that fewer people were on the road. Pot is way more potent today than when I turned 16 in 1978. Most of the designer drugs were still just a little molecule of an idea in the brain of the kid down the street who spent way too much time in the garage, smoking pot,, dropping acid masturbating to daddy's Playboy's while listening to Gene Simmons full blast in the eight track.

For the most part I was just joking, Blondie. Parent your kids however you want to...as long as they love you back then you're doing something right. My mother (grew up in a divorced, single parent fam) was always really bad at following through with punishment. Usually I'd get grounded and then at night before bed she'd come say how sorry she was that she yelled at me and that I wasn't grounded anymore. Maybe that puts my comments in a better perspective since busting out the tool box and removing a GPS wouldn't have got me in a whole lot of trouble.

And just b/c my daughter isn't mainlining heroin in bed with her boyfriend ( well at least I think not), doesn't mean I should be happy if she was on the honor roll but blowing every guy at school(I'm some what sure she's not doing that anymore:p:).

Well, you never know. She could be shooting it up between her toes so that she doesn't have track marks on her arms, like in that movie "Traffic". Ask her boyfriend to check her toes the next time your GPS tells you she's been parked outside his house for a few hours. That's probably a good sign that they're, well, you know...

BTW, a couple of weeks ago my daughter's car was rear-ended by another teenager who was texting. The difference with how my daughter handled this situation and the wreck this summer were like night & day. It's amazing how much easier it is to deal with these things when you know you weren't doing anything wrong. She realized that too.
Peace out.

Good for her. The last accident I got in was in 2005 and it was my fault for not checking my blind spot. Since then I've only been pull over once and no accidents.

Darrin
01-08-2009, 01:14 PM
A satellite tracking device that will plot a child's location to within 10ft is being launched by a British firm.

The Nu.M8 digital watch uses GPS satellite technology like car sat nav systems.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/ladyspur/watch.jpg

The watch can be securely fastened to a child's wrist and will trigger an alert if forcibly removed. Parents can then track their children on a website.

Parents who text 'wru', or click 'where r you' on the secure website, will be able to see the child's location on Google maps and the street address and postcode will also be displayed.

So-called 'safe zones' can also be set up in which children can play safely and an alert will be sent to the parent's mobile phone and computer if the child strays out of that area.

The watch has been launched against a background of increasing fears among parents about the safety of their children.

As a result, youngsters are ferried to school by car, rather than walking or taking the bus, while fewer are allowed out to play in the park.

Recent reports have indicated that one in four children aged eight to ten have never played outside without a parent or guardian present, and one in three parents will not even allow older children, aged eight to 15, to play outside the house or garden unsupervised.

Steve Salmon of the watch's Worcestershire-based developers Lok8u said: 'This product gives parents the reassurance of knowing where their children are, any time, anywhere.

'Hopefully girls and boys can now be given the freedom to play outside that I enjoyed as a child.

'The overriding aim of Nu.M8 is to give children their freedom and parents peace of mind.'

However this comes at a price. The watch costs £149.99 and there is a monthly charge of up to £19.99 depending on level of use.

Michele Elliott, director of children's charity Kidscape, has reservations about using satellites to track youngsters.

She said: 'Anything that makes children safer is a good thing but is the world really that unsafe that parents need to electronically track their children? I don't think so.'

The watch will be launched this week at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

link (http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1106883/Worried-parents-track-children-GPS-locator-watch.html)

No, but I would get one of those little dog tags they inject into an animal. :lol I'd tag my kids in case the ended up in the hospital or dead somewhere. Is that inhumane? Illegal? :downspin:

No need to teach my kids that Big Brother can watch them anytime they want. If they are brought up in a home like that, it's easier to imagine the world works that way.

We have to trust kids while not giving them too much space. If it's not a safe environment, then it's not somewhere they can go. If they disobey you, ground them and make them understand why. If they die, bury them. The serenity prayer.

The day trust leaves that relationship is the day that we lose as parents.

to21
01-08-2009, 05:36 PM
No, but I would get one of those little dog tags they inject into an animal. :lol I'd tag my kids in case the ended up in the hospital or dead somewhere. Is that inhumane? Illegal? :downspin:

No need to teach my kids that Big Brother can watch them anytime they want. If they are brought up in a home like that, it's easier to imagine the world works that way.

We have to trust kids while not giving them too much space. If it's not a safe environment, then it's not somewhere they can go. If they disobey you, ground them and make them understand why. If they die, bury them. The serenity prayer.

The day trust leaves that relationship is the day that we lose as parents.U missed the point....the GPS is for when they say they are going to the movies and end up going downtown to score some blow instead.

I have help bury a kid, you wouldn't say "If they die, bury them" if you have ever have had to......:donkey

2Blonde
01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
For the most part I was just joking, Blondie. Parent your kids however you want to...as long as they love you back then you're doing something right. My mother (grew up in a divorced, single parent fam) was always really bad at following through with punishment. Usually I'd get grounded and then at night before bed she'd come say how sorry she was that she yelled at me and that I wasn't grounded anymore. Maybe that puts my comments in a better perspective since busting out the tool box and removing a GPS wouldn't have got me in a whole lot of trouble.
I understand. I didn't take it as an attack on me as a parent. I grew up in a single parent home as well. Mom didn't remarry until I was in my 20's.

Well, you never know. She could be shooting it up between her toes so that she doesn't have track marks on her arms, like in that movie "Traffic". Ask her boyfriend to check her toes the next time your GPS tells you she's been parked outside his house for a few hours. That's probably a good sign that they're, well, you know...

So that's why she wears tennis shoes all the time instead of sandals!:lmao