PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about Mountain Bikes?

Thunder Dan
01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm looking to get a decent Mountain Bike, but have never purchased a bike on my own before- as it has been Santa's job for the last 25 years. I'm trying to do my homework before I go to the bike store and have someone sell me something.

I'm looking to spend $600-$1000. Does anyone know if buying bikes is like buying a car where you can get a lower price if you haggle with them?

I. Hustle
01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Damn my wife bought me one during black friday. a 400 dollar bike for 130. I am not that into it I just ride for excercise and am not all hard core so it is good for me.

leemajors
01-07-2009, 11:52 AM
i've had a specialized rockhopper for the last 13 years, and i still love it. only thing i really did to it was put street tires on it about 4-5 years ago.

phyzik
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Cant go wrong with Specialized. If your serious about it and will be hitting the trails, you want to make sure to get at least front suspension. It could be like buying a car but dont expect to get money taken off, its more like swapping on a better part or something like that.

tlongII
01-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Specialized and Trek are the best well-known brands. You can't go wrong with either of them, imo. As for haggling on price, I think it depends on where you buy it. High-end bike shops have a fairly large margin built in to their price so I would expect you could deal with them a bit. Large sporting goods stores not so much, imo.

CavsSuperFan
01-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I bought a new mountain bike a couple years ago from the bicycle outlet…Here is the link…. (http://www.thebicycleoutlet.com/index.php?option=com_phpshop&keyword=&category_id=&limitstart=0&mosmsg=Sorry%2C+but+the+Product+you%27ve+requested +wasn%27t+found%21)

I saved about $700.00 purchasing it online but I can’t stand to ride it…I find it very uncomfortable…I ended up just putting new tires & a light on my 35 year old Schwinn Superior…

balli
01-07-2009, 12:19 PM
If I were you I would NOT under any circumstances get a full suspension bike unless you're planning on doing A LOT of really vigorous trail riding. Like phyzik said, front suspension is a must, but if you stick with a hard-tail, you'll be able to get much better components, for the same price, than if you were to buy a full suspension bike. In other words, based on your price range, if you go full suspension, you're going to end up with a relatively shitty bike.

If I were you I'd look for a high quality used Gary Fisher hardtail, with really high quality brake/de-railer/shifter components.

As far as haggling goes: I've never been in a retail bike shop that would do so, but for example, there's a hippie in SLC who runs a bike shop out of his garage. He does really quality work and builds custom bikes for people at what I've heard is a really good price. Maybe there's someone like that in SA? (Than again, the shit economy might make a retailer more inclined to haggle with you, IDK)

marini martini
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm looking to get a decent Mountain Bike, but have never purchased a bike on my own before- as it has been Santa's job for the last 25 years. I'm trying to do my homework before I go to the bike store and have someone sell me something.

I'm looking to spend $600-$1000. Does anyone know if buying bikes is like buying a car where you can get a lower price if you haggle with them?
Just put on your big boy jockeys, and deal with it!!!:toast

You need to P.M. B2B!!!!:lmao

PM5K
01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Craigslist.

My brother got a really nice hard-tail Specialized with front and rear disk brakes for less than 300.00

I can't recall the exact price but I know it was less than 300.00 and I know the bike was worth more than 600.00

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Gary Fisher makes great bikes. Are you still in Ohio?

http://joinomba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11153

Thunder Dan
01-07-2009, 12:48 PM
yeah it looks like you guys are recommending me the brands I was looking at: Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, and I was looking at a Cannondale for no other reason than Lebron is a owner of the company.

The suspension thing is good to know too. The reason I want a bike is because I live near a huge state park and they have a bunch of trails that my friends go to every weekend. My previous bike was a Trek and didn't have suspension, and I knew that with this one I wanted suspension, but didn't know if the rear was worth it or not.

Gary Fisher makes great bikes. Are you still in Ohio?

http://joinomba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11153

yeah

balli
01-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I think you should just say fuck it and go with this GF pro-cal. What's $6500.00 anyways?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4235/procaljf7.jpg

Thunder Dan
01-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I think you should just say fuck it and go with this GF pro-cal. What's $6500.00 anyways?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4235/procaljf7.jpg

I'd be tempted to take that out on Saturday nights to pick up chicks- I hear women prefer a man with a sweet bike chained up outside

phyzik
01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
I currently cruise a Stumpjumper, similar to this one but with a few upgrades

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2009/bikes/9393-42_SJ_FSR_comp_black_satin_d.jpg

RGMCSE
08-22-2016, 03:02 PM
So I'm getting really bored with my workout/Gym routine and Im considering buying a bike to change it up. I'm not going to buy a bike from a box store but dont want to pay the MSRP at a bike shop. So I was shopping around and noticed Jamis brand online. Anyone have any experience with this brand? Can someone tell me whats the difference between front suspension and rear suspension in practical terms?

Thread
08-22-2016, 03:12 PM
So I'm getting really bored with my workout/Gym routine and Im considering buying a bike to change it up. I'm not going to buy a bike from a box store but dont want to pay the MSRP at a bike shop. So I was shopping around and noticed Jamis brand online. Anyone have any experience with this brand? Can someone tell me whats the difference between front suspension and rear suspension in practical terms?

It will not relieve the boredom, nor the effort.

Get your mind right.

RGMCSE
08-22-2016, 03:21 PM
It will not relieve the boredom, nor the effort.

Get your mind right.

Well,thats why I dont plan on spending a lot. I already know theres a shelf life to it. But I still would like to take a ride on a quality bike. I work out 4-5 times a week and I do a combo workout. weights / cardio ect... But I cant do the excersize bike for more than 5 mins out of pure boredom. But I can do moderate to high pace on a treadmill for 15-30mins. I typically burn over 400 cals in 15mins. Anyways I just have this unfounded motivation to ride casually and maybe Ill get a decent burn off of it.

I. Hustle
08-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Jamis brand? Is that the brand that makes the dildo seat?

RGMCSE
08-22-2016, 03:54 PM

Haha no. This is a legit bike brand. But since you mentioned it I figured I might as well help you find what your're looking for.

v-mH367rdtQ

SpursforSix
08-22-2016, 03:57 PM
I'll tell you what you need to do...get yourself one of these bad boys.

http://www.bikeprovo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/bi_2212319b-530x331.jpg

SpursforSix
08-22-2016, 03:59 PM

By the way...the Google Image search, "dildo bike", is not safe for work.

I. Hustle
08-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Haha no. This is a legit bike brand. But since you mentioned it I figured I might as well help you find what your're looking for.

v-mH367rdtQ

Is that your garage?

I. Hustle
08-22-2016, 04:12 PM
I'll tell you what you need to do...get yourself one of these bad boys.

http://www.bikeprovo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/bi_2212319b-530x331.jpg

How does that even work? I don't get it.

SpursforSix
08-22-2016, 04:15 PM

gears and stuff

I. Hustle
08-22-2016, 04:18 PM
gears and stuff

Do his legs just stay up in the air? Is he just constantly pushing? What about downhill?

SpursforSix
08-22-2016, 04:19 PM

But seriously. It looks like you have to plank while you ride. Great for strengthening your core.

SpursforSix
08-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Do his legs just stay up in the air? Is he just constantly pushing? What about downhill?

also, it looks like you have to keep your hands on the front wheel as they go around. Great for the triceps and forearms.

I. Hustle
08-22-2016, 04:24 PM
I guess I just wouldn't want to look like a douche bag. You know that guy has to walk around all snotty and shit and tell everyone how it's the hottest thing right now. How pedals are for cavemen and the only way to ride is with a Buttesecks bike.

SpursforSix
08-22-2016, 04:31 PM
I guess I just wouldn't want to look like a douche bag. You know that guy has to walk around all snotty and shit and tell everyone how it's the hottest thing right now. How pedals are for cavemen and the only way to ride is with a Buttesecks bike.

douche bag? No...it'd be cool. I think to properly ride the bike, you have to put some cardboard over it.
But I guess the real issue is that you'd be a colossal pain in the ass.

IH : Hey Les.
Les : Hey..what's up
IH : I was going to ride my bike today.
Les : uh huh
IH: Can you and Theo meet me downstairs to push me off?

xNYKgabAi3s

lebomb
08-22-2016, 04:33 PM
2010 Specialized Hardrock here. Great bike for about $400-$500.

Thread
08-22-2016, 06:46 PM
But I still would like to take a ride on a quality bike.

That is the kid in ya.

He'll never die.

I bought one a few years ago. I took it for a ride and came to a secluded spot. From my pocket I took out a few cloths pins and a some baseball cards, and for a little while I was back 50 years ago.

leemajors
08-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Well,thats why I dont plan on spending a lot. I already know theres a shelf life to it. But I still would like to take a ride on a quality bike. I work out 4-5 times a week and I do a combo workout. weights / cardio ect... But I cant do the excersize bike for more than 5 mins out of pure boredom. But I can do moderate to high pace on a treadmill for 15-30mins. I typically burn over 400 cals in 15mins. Anyways I just have this unfounded motivation to ride casually and maybe Ill get a decent burn off of it.

I have been riding 100+ miles a week for 6 years now, and it's really fun and not boring in the slightest. I can't stand stationary bikes.

RGMCSE
08-22-2016, 08:07 PM
That is the kid in ya.

He'll never die.

I bought one a few years ago. I took it for a ride and came to a secluded spot. From my pocket I took out a few cloths pins and a some baseball cards, and for a little while I was back 50 years ago.

Im not gonna lie thread,your spot on. All of a sudden I have this urge to go ride a bike and enjoy. But I really want the health benefits as well. Plus I've never had a midrange bike. The bikes i had were always second hand or from a box store. I want something that will allow some comfort-ability.

RGMCSE
08-22-2016, 08:11 PM
I have been riding 100+ miles a week for 6 years now, and it's really fun and not boring in the slightest. I can't stand stationary bikes.

Im hoping this is my scenario. I dont plan on riding as much as you do. But If i can get out 2-3 times a week Ill be happy. I cant stand the stationary bike either. Its like playing golf, I cant watch it but I enjoy playing it and being on the course. I want to enjoy the fresh air and get some wind outdoors.

RGMCSE
08-22-2016, 08:14 PM
2010 Specialized Hardrock here. Great bike for about $400-$500.

That looks nice man, is it a road bike or hybrid?

leemajors
08-22-2016, 09:21 PM

Hard Rocks are mountain bikes. I have a road bike and a mountain bike. I'd suggest going to a local bike shop that sells used bikes and just telling them what you are looking for, they should be able to help. I go to Austin Bike Farm in Austin, and they give me free tuneups/adjustments on the bikes I have purchased there.

lebomb
08-23-2016, 05:56 AM

Mountain

RGMCSE
08-23-2016, 09:00 AM
I'll be shopping around fellas. Appreciate it.

I. Hustle
08-23-2016, 09:15 AM
I'll be shopping around fellas. Appreciate it.

Just buy one of SFS's Dilldoo bikes or one of his Buttesecks'. He's got a bunch of them.

pgardn
08-23-2016, 10:02 AM

Question to the experienced biker:

So, my hands hurt and my neck hurts after riding for 1.5 to 2 hrs. I take a couple of stops to shake it out, but still get those aches. I bike and swim so I can run more pain free. So I need to get this biking stuff worked out. I know I grip the handle bars hard. And I guess my neck stays in the same position too long?

What would you suggest I correct?

I ride an off road bike and really just try to pedal the whole time so I am breathing fairly heavily. Not as rigorous as running but I want the different workout. Biking seems to balance my quads out with my hammys. Hammys and calves get very strong in distance running and can pull things out of alignment. So biking is important, would just like to get rid of the hand and neck "clinching". Help. Help.

I. Hustle
08-23-2016, 10:16 AM

So, my hands hurt and my neck hurts after riding for 1.5 to 2 hrs. I take a couple of stops to shake it out, but still get those aches. I bike and swim so I can run more pain free. So I need to get this biking stuff worked out. I know I grip the handle bars hard. And I guess my neck stays in the same position too long?

I ride an off road bike and really just try to pedal the whole time so I am breathing fairly heavily. Not as rigorous as running but I want the different workout. Biking seems to balance my quads out with my hammys. Hammys and calves get very strong in distance running and can pull things out of alignment. So biking is important, would just like to get rid of the hand and neck "clinching". Help. Help.

I'm glad you came to us for help. I am more than willing to provide some guidance and by the sound of it, you really need it. The first step is to just relax a little bit. Remember, you are riding to prolong your life and to enjoy your surroundings. What I like to do before each ride is get a bj or a handy. I know I know it sounds crazy but it works. Then what I'll do is put a little chicken grease on my wrists and my neck. This will help to get those juices flowing.

That's pre-ride prep. During my ride, I will lower my speed whilst passing women and gently pat them on the rear as I pass. Make sure you do this on both sides as this will give your hands some rest.

To relieve some of the pressure of my neck, I will listen to a mix of 80s and 90s music. This always causes me to head bob and sort of dance only using my head. This will strengthen your neck muscles plus it will show those ladies that you patted that you are just there to have fun and touching their rears was in no way assault.

leemajors
08-23-2016, 10:16 AM

There are a couple of things you could try. Obviously, you need to move your hands around to avoid that kind of pain/clenching. If you've never had it done, take the bike into a shop to have it adjusted to you - your seat/handlebars may be at the wrong height, and having the bike fitted can do a lot. A company named Ergon makes grips that can help a lot too, and they are around $30-$50:

https://barndoorcycling.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/ergon_grips_4-399-75.jpg

I had some of these on an older mountain bike, and they helped a lot, spread the weight you are pressing a bit with to the heel of your hand, which helps reduce strain

My brother got a Jones Loop Bar, which he loves:

http://www.adventurefamilyinmotion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Jones-bar.jpg

Generally, I prefer riding my road bike so I have more positions to move my hands around, greatly reducing strain. Helps with neck strain too.

I. Hustle
08-23-2016, 10:17 AM
There are a couple of things you could try. Obviously, you need to move your hands around to avoid that kind of pain/clenching. If you've never had it done, take the bike into a shop to have it adjusted to you - your seat/handlebars may be at the wrong height, and having the bike fitted can do a lot. A company named Ergon makes grips that can help a lot too, and they are around $30-$50:

I had some of these on an older mountain bike, and they helped a lot, spread the weight you are pressing a bit with to the heel of your hand, which helps reduce strain

Generally, I prefer riding my road bike so I have more positions to move my hands around, greatly reducing strain. Helps with neck strain too.

Thanks LM but I already covered it. Nice try but I am pretty sure my way is the way to go. Thanks

pgardn
08-23-2016, 10:40 AM

[
IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2u8jyhj.jpg[/IMG]y
Ok good deal
Im taking these pictures to the bike shop. So apparently others have felt my pain. I'm not a bike guy so I was not sure what I was doing incorrEctly

pgardn
08-23-2016, 10:44 AM
I'm glad you came to us for help. I am more than willing to provide some guidance and by the sound of it, you really need it. The first step is to just relax a little bit. Remember, you are riding to prolong your life and to enjoy your surroundings. What I like to do before each ride is get a bj or a handy. I know I know it sounds crazy but it works. Then what I'll do is put a little chicken grease on my wrists and my neck. This will help to get those juices flowing.

That's pre-ride prep. During my ride, I will lower my speed whilst passing women and gently pat them on the rear as I pass. Make sure you do this on both sides as this will give your hands some rest.

To relieve some of the pressure of my neck, I will listen to a mix of 80s and 90s music. This always causes me to head bob and sort of dance only using my head. This will strengthen your neck muscles plus it will show those ladies that you patted that you are just there to have fun and touching their rears was in no way assault.

Yeah I tried the above and spent a couple of years in the big house.