PDA

View Full Version : Self Checkout Etiquette

Spurminator
01-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Why do people take cartloads of groceries to self checkout lines? Do you REALLY think you can scan and bag all of your items faster than the trained professionals working the registers?

I know some places, for whatever reason, don't have limits on items for the self checkout lanes, but exercise some courtesy and common sense. 10 items max, and no produce unless you know exactly what you're doing. Geez people.

ATRAIN
01-07-2009, 02:39 PM
I hate being behind a self checkout noob.

mrsmaalox
01-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Yes no more than 10 items. And no children "helping" their parents!!!

mexicanjunior
01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Why do people take cartloads of groceries to self checkout lines? Do you REALLY think you can scan and bag all of your items faster than the trained professionals working the registers?

I know some places, for whatever reason, don't have limits on items for the self checkout lanes, but exercise some courtesy and common sense. 10 items max, and no produce unless you know exactly what you're doing. Geez people.

I usually follow the 10 items etiquette unless the people checkout lines are ridiculous (like Wal-Mart at night). No effing way I am standing in line half an hour because they decided to only have 2 people working the registers...

CuckingFunt
01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I went to a Costco the other day that had a couple self checkout lanes. I love the idea in theory, but I was about ready to kill people after a couple of minutes of watching someone trying to figure out how to scan a flat of 12 giant muffins. I had two fucking bottles of alcohol and should have been out of there in a couple minutes, max.

JoeChalupa
01-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I love the self checkouts at my HEB but the ones at wal-mart suck.

to21
01-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I only use the self checkout lanes when I don't want people behind a register to see what I purchase.

Like my Trojan magnums, astro-glide, duct tape, rope, etc.

thispego
01-07-2009, 03:25 PM
self check-out lines - LOL

balli
01-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I usually do my shopping at like 1 in the morning when the self-checkouts are closed, but still, there's been times when I felt like ending some lives over delays at the self-checkout.

CubanMustGo
01-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I went to a Costco the other day that had a couple self checkout lanes. I love the idea in theory, but I was about ready to kill people after a couple of minutes of watching someone trying to figure out how to scan a flat of 12 giant muffins. I had two fucking bottles of alcohol and should have been out of there in a couple minutes, max.

Not to mention the n00bs that will put something else on the fancy conveyer belt (or take something off before it rolled to the end), causing the system to stop because it expects there to be exactly one item on it, causing one of the attendants to have to come over and reset the system, over and over. We observed this behaviour before Christmas and thought that Costco would have been better off having the numerous attendants just run registers.

ashbeeigh
01-07-2009, 03:43 PM
a few months back (I take that back...maybe a year ago) I went to Wal-Mart to grab a few things after work, it was like 7:30 by that time, and there were two girls in front of me with a cart load of stuff getting frustrated with the self check put...they gave up and left their cart load of crap just sitting there. I wanted to yell at them..but they probably would have kicked my ass.

I agree..10 items or less...well maybe 15. I go in the self check out line when I do my grocery shopping because it's usually a few frozen items, some bananas and cereal. That's it. It takes me like 5 seconds.

Dex
01-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Yes no more than 10 items. And no children "helping" their parents!!!

Bingo!

I'm glad people want little Timmy to get a feel for his job in 10 years, but unless there is nobody else waiting to use those machines, treat it like it's not a toy.

I agree that there should be a limit on all of these. 10 items seems reasonable. Anything more would probably require more than 2 bags and, therefore, should have a checker to take care of it.

It also bugs me when people use them to buy booze and cigarettes, so they have to wait for the cashier to come over and check their stuff anyways.

What I hate is when the thing messes up and it tell you to wait for the cashier. I was trying to avoid human contact here, dammit! :lol

tonylongoriafan
01-07-2009, 04:32 PM
no offense to the people that are employeed by this, but isn't the whole excercise of checking out really, really stupid?

stop and think, you get a cart, move the food from the shelf to the cart, remove the food from the cart to the register, reload back into the cart, load into your vehicle, unload at your home, and put away in your cabinets/refridgerator.

why can't there be something where you put your cart under a scanner that reads everything in your cart, it would help so many issues...just sayin'

RandomGuy
01-07-2009, 04:48 PM
no offense to the people that are employeed by this, but isn't the whole excercise of checking out really, really stupid?

stop and think, you get a cart, move the food from the shelf to the cart, remove the food from the cart to the register, reload back into the cart, load into your vehicle, unload at your home, and put away in your cabinets/refridgerator.

why can't there be something where you put your cart under a scanner that reads everything in your cart, it would help so many issues...just sayin'

They are working on doing just that.

Little RFID chips in every tag or something similar.

I Love Me Some Me
01-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I like using the self-checkout when purchasing produce. Especially at HEB when you can print your own bar code. Nothing better than paying .99 cents/lb for a bag of Delicious Apples when in reality you have a bag of $2.99/lb Honeycrisps!

CuckingFunt
01-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Several years ago, I saw a show on Food Network that talked about a chain of smart stores being tested in the mid-West. I don't remember all the details, but each cart had a touchscreen that acted as a map of the store, a grocery reminder (it would alert you of items that usually go together or are located in the same isle), and a barcode scanner. You scan each item as you put it in the cart, swipe a credit card when you're done, and walk out the door.

I don't know what happened with that, but I want.

I Love Me Some Me
01-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Several years ago, I saw a show on Food Network that talked about a chain of smart stores being tested in the mid-West. I don't remember all the details, but each cart had a touchscreen that acted as a map of the store, a grocery reminder (it would alert you of items that usually go together or are located in the same isle), and a barcode scanner. You scan each item as you put it in the cart, swipe a credit card when you're done, and walk out the door.

Even better than that, I'd like to go to HEB.com, pick out all the items I wanted, show up at the brick and mortar HEB an hour later and have them bagged and waiting for me with a bill. I won't even have to leave my car...they just swipe my card, load my groceries and away I go.

tonylongoriafan
01-07-2009, 05:01 PM

that is the world i want to someday live in...all of this hoarding bundles and packages of food into a metal cart with wheels and then forming a line to exit is too cavemanish

tonylongoriafan
01-07-2009, 05:05 PM

Even better than that, I'd like to go to HEB.com, pick out all the items I wanted, show up at the brick and mortar HEB an hour later and have them bagged and waiting for me with a bill. I won't even have to leave my car...they just swipe my card, load my groceries and away I go.

:wow

tonylongoriafan
01-07-2009, 05:07 PM

why is someone just telling me this! i would pay double to hear someone's screaming kid behind me in line! which heb's does this work at

I Love Me Some Me
01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
why is someone just telling me this! i would pay double to hear someone's screaming kid behind me in line! which heb's does this work at

I don't think it exists. I'm making the suggestion right now....can someone get me the number to the patent office?

CubanMustGo
01-07-2009, 05:08 PM

Albertson's in Dallas had something like this. You scanned your stuff as you bought it and then there was a special 'express' lane you went through to pay. Hardly ever saw anyone using it.

ToughActinTinactin
01-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I like using the self-checkout when purchasing produce. Especially at HEB when you can print your own bar code. Nothing better than paying .99 cents/lb for a bag of Delicious Apples when in reality you have a bag of $2.99/lb Honeycrisps!

That should be caught by weight. Someone isn't doing their job.

I Love Me Some Me
01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
That should be caught by weight. Someone isn't doing their job.

3 lbs of Honeycrisps weighs the same as 3 lbs of Delicious.

tonylongoriafan
01-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I don't think it exists. I'm making the suggestion right now....can someone get me the number to the patent office?

my pants got all happy for nothing :(

ToughActinTinactin
01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
3 lbs of Honeycrisps weighs the same as 3 lbs of Delicious.

Duh, my bad. But they are supposed to be monitoring your purchase as well and that should be easy to spot.

I Love Me Some Me
01-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Duh, my bad. But they are supposed to be monitoring your purchase as well and that should be easy to spot.

Well...I don't reeeeaaaalllly do this, I was just saying...

But I don't get that the guy behind the main-screen is paying much attention. Even if he were, the apples pretty much look the same, and if they say something, I guess you just say you put in the wrong 4-digit code when you printed the bar code.

balli
01-07-2009, 05:34 PM
But I don't get that the guy behind the main-screen is paying much attention. Even if he were, the apples pretty much look the same, and if they say something, I guess you just say you put in the wrong 4-digit code when you printed the bar code.

I don't do it all that often, but I've accidentally plugged in the wrong code for produce and carried on like it was correct plenty of times. Never once have they said something, even when it was beyond obviously wrong... so yeah, I doubt the guy's making $6.00/hour are paying attention at all.

mrsmaalox
01-07-2009, 05:55 PM

Ooooh we actually had a chain in Maryland that did that (Giant)!! But you didn't have to go pick up your groceries, you just had to mark a delivery time on the check out screen and it came to you. I never got any fresh produce or meat from them, but for staples and for getting ready for a party it was wonderful!

I. Hustle
01-07-2009, 05:56 PM
pppffffftttttt Maryland

PM5K
01-07-2009, 06:02 PM
You gotta know the unwritten rules, that's life.

So for example, the checkout at Walmart that's near the garden center, even though it doesn't say ten items or less, you really have to know better and not be a douche and come with a whole fucking cart of groceries, those checkouts aren't setup the same way as the ones in the main part of the store, they aren't setup for a bunch of items.

Slomo
01-07-2009, 06:06 PM

Yep.

RFID was supposed to be the big thing in 2007 with a widespread deployment in some store chains already in 2008. The problem that is messing things up is resolution, they have a hard time telling the exact number of a certain tag, when more identical tags are close together (like in a shopping cart). They've worked out some solutions but apparently it's not without the desired range (distance of the tags to the sensor(s)). But they are already using RFID in some professional applications (large scale automated warehouses) that offer a more controlled environment.

Despite the problems RFID is coming. Although at the moment, because of the economic crisis, the cost of the investment to switch over to RFID is probably it's biggest obstacle.

The part I like best is the idea that your fridge, using RFID, would be able to know exactly what's inside and when it came in - that might help prevent those unvoluntary biological experiments at the back of the bottom shelf...
:D

Richard Cranium
01-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Yep.
The part I like best is the idea that your fridge, using RFID, would be able to know exactly what's inside and when it came in - that might help prevent those unvoluntary biological experiments at the back of the bottom shelf...

That sounds like a great idea that will lessen the chances of someone vomiting on my vest.

ploto
01-07-2009, 06:48 PM
HEB has ones specifically marked for 10 items or less and other ones for 20 items or less, so I use those when I have between 10 and 20 items. Often the kids can work them better than the parents, and I personally am glad to see a parent doing something with his or her kid and explaining it.

As to etiquette- how about waiting until I have actually gotten my stuff back into my basket before breathing down my neck.

SequSpur
01-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Dude, it's fuckin simple. You take 20 items thru self checkout and every other item you slip into the bag directly in the cart and you pay for half the shit.

piece of fuckin cake.

damn, you guys are stoopid.

Phenomanul
01-07-2009, 10:42 PM

Produce??? Seriously??.. :lmao

RashoFan
01-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Yep.

RFID was supposed to be the big thing in 2007 with a widespread deployment in some store chains already in 2008. The problem that is messing things up is resolution, they have a hard time telling the exact number of a certain tag, when more identical tags are close together (like in a shopping cart). They've worked out some solutions but apparently it's not without the desired range (distance of the tags to the sensor(s)). But they are already using RFID in some professional applications (large scale automated warehouses) that offer a more controlled environment.

Despite the problems RFID is coming. Although at the moment, because of the economic crisis, the cost of the investment to switch over to RFID is probably it's biggest obstacle.

Unfortunately, in my house that will never work....my "roomate" has this thing out eating leftovers(she doesn't) and there are containers in the fridge that are going to be burned because of what is in there.
Damn, I need to be home more often...:depressed

RashoFan
01-07-2009, 11:46 PM
oh and for the record...I HATE those slow ass Fucktards that decide they want to "try" the self check out lanes...dumbasses!