PDA

View Full Version : George Hill will be an all star

rascal
01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
George Hill will be a future star in the league.

The spurs should trade Manu and open a starting spot for Hill. The sooner Hill is thrust into a starting position the sooner he will develope his confidence and game. Hill will make more all star appearances than Manu and has more upside future but the spurs need to give him the starters minutes to move his developmental process along. Start Hill at the 2 and play him some at the 1 when Parker is on the bench.

Hill and Mason can cover the 2 guard spot. The spurs will not go far in the playoffs without a quality big addition. I see in here no one believes the spurs have anyone to trade for a quality big because they fail to consider trading Manu. It will take a big trade like moving Manu to get a quality big.

I know this will not sit well with the sentimental crowd but keeping players out of sentiment or because you like what they have done in the past or they are from your home country or simply because you like them is not a way to build success in the future.

Trading Manu now not only adds the quality big which would increase the Spurs chances this year but it opens a starters spot for Hill.

tav1
01-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Hill is 1/10 the player of Ginobili. Calm down. And that's not a dig against Hill. I like him.

Besides, Hill's a 1-2 not a 2-1.

lebomb
01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Hmmmmmm.............I dont know, maybe.........but I do know Ive seen Manu score 25 straight points in a game, and also shoot a lights out 48pts on Phoenix before. Time will tell if Hill can do those kinds of things.

baseline bum
01-07-2009, 03:14 PM
The only untradeable players are Duncan and Parker, but what big would you trade Manu for?

honestfool84
01-07-2009, 03:18 PM
amare?

i don't like the idea of trading manu...
i love him, one of my favorite players, and i always hoped (hope) he can retire as a spur..

but, without bias, i would trade manu for dhoward in a heartbeat, and amare, well, packaged with another player would work.

yes, i know these propositions don't match up financially.

Mal
01-07-2009, 03:22 PM
It is too early to put Hill in starting SG. He is not ready for it

2Cleva
01-07-2009, 03:22 PM
All-Star? He's going to the NBDL?

A quick look at the guards in the West and its clear he won't be an All-Star anytime soon.

I won't count Kidd, Billups, and Nash because of their age.

Hill would have to get better than one of the following: Kobe, Paul, any guard who plays in Houston, Deron, Roy, Baron, Monta, Kevin Martin, Mayo.

I like Hill but that's not happening.

mrspurs
01-07-2009, 03:24 PM

A quick look at the guards in the West and its clear he won't be an All-Star anytime soon.

Hill would have to get better than one of the following: Kobe, Paul, any guard who plays in Houston, Deron, Roy, Baron, Monta, Kevin Martin, Mayo.

Not even on a video game.:lol

sonic21
01-07-2009, 03:27 PM
too soon, don't jinx him

tonylongoriafan
01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
george hill = beno udrith the 1st three months of his career...

...we should deal him now while he's still trade value

kace
01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
well, i guess that any true spurs fan should have a difficulty to even imagine one of the big three (and even bruce) in another uniform. it should not be this way, even if Tony is young and maybe will go elsewhere after tim retires.

If we talk only about performance and let aside the emotion, it could be a good thing to trade Manu for a good big only if we'd have some equal quality perimeter player.

but i hope no one is arguing that Mason or Hill have proven to be at manu's real level ? Manu at his level just don't belong in the same category as Hill and Mason. Let's be serious..

so it leads us to two options:

- manu don't get back to his true level: 1) Mason and Hill still have to bring more and we still don't know what they will be able to do in PO where it's a whole different story 2) why would anyone give us a good big for manu not at his best ?

- manu gets back to real manu (or even 90 % of real manu) (which i think he will): at this level, neither mason nor hill can bring what manu is able to bring. Anyone who brought a "trade manu" thread looks like a fool and there's no way we trade such a player at 10 M per year.

so, it only depends whether you think manu will get back to his real level or not. I think so. and i'm still upset by fans who doesn't let him the chance to prove he can. i think he largely deserves it.

hater
01-07-2009, 03:33 PM
why am I not surprised to see Rascal create a "George Hill will be an all star" titled thread, but really being a trade Manu thread

:idiot

xtremesteven33
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
FAIL :td

EricB
01-07-2009, 04:00 PM
This thread is loaded with 10 different versions of fail.

it's me
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM

The spurs should trade Manu and open a starting spot for Hill. The sooner Hill is thrust into a starting position the sooner he will develope his confidence and game. Hill will make more all star appearances than Manu and has more upside future but the spurs need to give him the starters minutes to move his developmental process along. Start Hill at the 2 and play him some at the 1 when Parker is on the bench.

Hill and Mason can cover the 2 guard spot. The spurs will not go far in the playoffs without a quality big addition. I see in here no one believes the spurs have anyone to trade for a quality big because they fail to consider trading Manu. It will take a big trade like moving Manu to get a quality big.

I know this will not sit well with the sentimental crowd but keeping players out of sentiment or because you like what they have done in the past or they are from your home country or simply because you like them is not a way to build success in the future.

Trading Manu now not only adds the quality big which would increase the Spurs chances this year but it opens a starters spot for Hill.

Since when Manu is a starter?? Most important… since when Manu is holding Hills development down?? I get it … it’s a hate issue with an antiforeigner/antiargentinian inclination.

JamStone
01-07-2009, 04:27 PM

There's also this one French point guard on his own team who's married to a Hollywood actress Hill would have to pass as well.

PM5K
01-07-2009, 04:34 PM
The only untradeable players are Duncan and Parker

I can agree with that...

TMTTRIO
01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I see this is another trade Manu thread. At this point why would any team even want to trade risk their quality big for Manu who's just now coming off of ankle surgery and really isn't even near his best right now.

Yuixafun
01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Hmmmmmm.............I dont know, maybe.........but I do know Ive seen Manu score 25 straight points in a game, and also shoot a lights out 48pts on Phoenix before. Time will tell if Hill can do those kinds of things.

I remember that game.

It reminded me of one of those zany twilight zone modern day version shows.. a new boxer was tearing everyone up. Only thing - he's from the future and he has a special power to freeze time for a brief period. So right before the critical point in the match, he would use his ability, then get the KO. Manu was playing 2 seconds ahead of everyone.

There was one sequence during the game, where Manu scored... ran back on D, watched the Suns offense unfolding, come from the weak side before a pass was being thrown, before the passer knew he was passing it.. pick it off in full stride go down and score again, before anyone else even crossed halfcourt.

As long as Manu still has that basketball brain and can still pull the trigger he's playing a different game than most of the Nba.

SenorSpur
01-07-2009, 05:14 PM
So you want to trade away a future HOF SG, to open up a spot to insert a backup PG to start alongside of Parker? What the hell is it about Hill and his skills that makes Manu expendable, in your mind?

In case you've forgotten, Hill is a PG and Manu is a SG. They CAN and WILL co-exist. It would've made a better argument if you'd recommended the Spurs trade TP. That idea is just about as preposterous, but I get your point.

While I agree the Spurs need to target a backup big to help Duncan do some heavy-lifting, the Spurs do not, however, need a franchise-caliber big that makes franchise-level money.

Therefore, they don't need to do anything drastic. Spurs don't need to trade anyone. Let's allow Hill to develop at his pace and allow the FO to target and sign a reserve big.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-07-2009, 06:00 PM

:tu

rascal
01-07-2009, 06:51 PM
So you want to trade away a future HOF SG, to open up a spot to insert a backup PG to start alongside of Parker? What the hell is it about Hill and his skills that makes Manu expendable, in your mind?

In case you've forgotten, Hill is a PG and Manu is a SG. They CAN and WILL co-exist. It would've made a better argument if you'd recommended the Spurs trade TP. That idea is just about as preposterous, but I get your point.

While I agree the Spurs need to target a backup big to help Duncan do some heavy-lifting, the Spurs do not, however, need a franchise-caliber big that makes franchise-level money.

Therefore, they don't need to do anything drastic. Spurs don't need to trade anyone. Let's allow Hill to develop at his pace and allow the FO to target and sign a reserve big.

Parker has more upside and more years than Manu. You build around Duncan and Parker.

What makes you think Hill cannot play at sg with Parker at pg?

Hill will just be a backup to Parker if his role is primarily backup pg and won't get the regular minutes to develope his potential playing as a backup .

Hill is not a true pg with strong ball handling /assit skills but more of a scorer/slasher.

Hill has the skill set: quickness/ arm lenght, abilty to attack the rim, score, rebound and play solid defense to be a top sg in the league. Playing off the bench will slow his growth process. He is good enough to already be starting.

Yuixafun
01-07-2009, 07:01 PM
George Hill has the wonderful fortune of playing behind some of the best players in the world. Let him be the pupil and absorb all that Game while not having the burden of being forced to perform at a certain level.

Throwing in people too quickly when maybe they aren't mentally prepared or willfully focused can do as much harm as sitting in the bench and not getting playing time.

There is no rush with Hill. Let him learn and contribute like he's doing now. Development is a process and Pop has had some luck with young guards.

manufor3
01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Parker has more upside and more years than Manu. You build around Duncan and Parker.

What makes you think Hill cannot play at sg with Parker at pg?

Hill will just be a backup to Parker if his role is primarily backup pg and won't get the regular minutes to develope his potential playing as a backup .

Hill is not a true pg with strong ball handling /assit skills but more of a scorer/slasher.

Hill has the skill set: quickness/ arm lenght, abilty to attack the rim, score, rebound and play solid defense to be a top sg in the league. Playing off the bench will slow his growth process. He is good enough to already be starting.

becuase hill cant play sg

Man In Black
01-07-2009, 07:04 PM
He has all those attributes you talk about but how tall is he and how exactly did he turn into a quality starter based on your limited findings?

George doesn't have the vision yet to be a great passer and while he has shown some solid promise, he ain't Alvin Robertson or even Willie Anderson like yet. I see him more like a Johnny Dawkins lite. That's not bad.
Dawkin's Career Avg's of 11.1 ppg, 5.5 assists, and 2.5 rebounds would be a perfect compliment to the big 3. I think those numbers are wholly reachable maybe with assists down a tick or 2.

OH AND THE ONLY ALL-STAR GAME HE COULD BE IN...IS THE ROOKIE GAME.

smeagol
01-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Just another iteration of the tired old story rascal brings to the forum.

He has been wanting to trade Manu since 2004, despite the fact that if his wished would've been granted by the FO, the SPurs would have one (and possibly two) less rings.

superbigtime
01-07-2009, 08:18 PM

Be patient man. Hill's a friggin Rookie! Manu is undervalued right now because of his health. If the right trade is there, fine. But not for the sake of Hill's development...that will come with time.

SequSpur
01-07-2009, 08:22 PM
i was gonna get a job.. but then i got high...
i was gonna get up and go to work.. but then i got high...
now i type in this forum during the day.. and i know why....
cuz i got high, cuz i got high, cuz i got high...

la ta da da da da..

wisnub
01-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Its tough..Manu really is the man. He chip in so many points Spurs almost always rely on him for offense when Tony and Duncan on the bench. The only trade I think is worth it is Chris Bosh, or as I really hate to say it: bitching Amare. But I think Spurs will never trade Manu.

wisnub
01-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Be patient man. Hill's a friggin Rookie! Manu is undervalued right now because of his health. If the right trade is there, fine. But not for the sake of Hill's development...that will come with time.

i agree..but who do u think will be an equal value for Manu? really tough one right

rascal
01-07-2009, 09:58 PM
i agree..but who do u think will be an equal value for Manu? really tough one right

Manu and scrubs would not get you Bosh or Amare. Those guys have more value.

rascal
01-07-2009, 10:01 PM

It won't come with sporatic minutes stuck as a backup to Parker.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-07-2009, 10:04 PM

Well, it's too early to tell, but he very well may have that potential.

He can shoot from outside. He can penetrate. He is a "superior defender" as Pop put it. His long arms allow him to help out on the glass more than the average point guard.

And he obviously has a good mental make-up if he can come right into the league from some school no one has ever heard of, and instantly look like he belongs. So it certainly appears that the tools are there.

Eventually, Hill will probably split his time between playing the back-up point and shooting guard. Hill has enough size (again... long arms, which make him - for all intents and purposes - taller than the 6'2 he's listed at) to guard most shooting guards in the league.

Splitting his time between those 2 roles off the bench will work just fine. As Manu has proven, you don't have to be a starter to be a star.

I don't follow your logic on trading Manu. Trading Ginobili right now would be asinine. You're not going to get anything in return for Manu that would give you a better chance to win now. And as long as Tim Duncan is still on top of his game, the Spurs should do all they can to win NOW.

Besides, there are plenty of minutes for Hill as he develops and earns them. If Hill takes anyone's 2-guard minutes this year or next, it's going to be Finley's minutes that he steals.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he does become an all-star within a few years.

weebo
01-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I wish we would could trade rascal.

rascal
01-07-2009, 10:05 PM

Right now I would say Camby is about the best you could get for Manu.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-07-2009, 10:07 PM
It won't come with sporatic minutes stuck as a backup to Parker.

As I just mentioned in my last post... there will be plenty of minutes for Hill as he develops and earns them. He has enough size (coupled with long arms) to play the 2-guard position.

So eventually, he'll likely split his time between the backup point and shooting guard. He'll get his minutes in direct proportion to his development as a player. It'll come. Give him a little time.

2Cleva
01-07-2009, 10:08 PM
There's also this one French point guard on his own team who's married to a Hollywood actress Hill would have to pass as well.

So very true.

rascal
01-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Well, it's too early to tell, but he very well may have that potential.

He can shoot from outside. He can penetrate. He is a "superior defender" as Pop put it. His long arms allow him to help out on the glass more than the average point guard.

And he obviously has a good mental make-up if he can come right into the league from some school no one has ever heard of, and instantly look like he belongs. So it certainly appears that the tools are there.

Eventually, Hill will probably split his time between playing the back-up point and shooting guard. Hill has enough size (again... long arms, which make him - for all intents and purposes - taller than the 6'2 he's listed at) to guard most shooting guards in the league.

Splitting his time between those 2 roles off the bench will work just fine. As Manu has proven, you don't have to be a starter to be a star.

I don't follow your logic on trading Manu. Trading Ginobili right now would be asinine. You're not going to get anything in return for Manu that would give you a better chance to win now. And as long as Tim Duncan is still on top of his game, the Spurs should do all they can to win NOW.

Besides, there are plenty of minutes for Hill as he develops and earns them. If Hill takes anyone's 2-guard minutes this year or next, it's going to be Finley's minutes that he steals.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he does become an all-star within a few years.

Agree with most of what you wrote but it is more asinine to believe Bonner Thomas and Oberto as a front line with Duncan will be enough to get out of the west.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-07-2009, 10:11 PM

Isn't Camby eligible for free agency soon? There's no way you'd even consider dealing someone like Manu for Camby when he may only be a rental.

And let's not forget what a healthy Manu looks like in big game situations. He's one of those rare players who can elevate his play in big situations and take over a game. And he does so many things that don't show up on a stat sheet. I don't think Camby would be equal value under any circumstances.

I would love to have Camby though. If the Spurs could get Camby for Mihimini (or whatever his name is), the rights to Splitter, Kurt Thomas, and a draft pick or two... I'd be all for it. That would make this team beyond sick defensively.

rascal
01-07-2009, 10:13 PM
As I just mentioned in my last post... there will be plenty of minutes for Hill as he develops and earns them. He has enough size (coupled with long arms) to play the 2-guard position.

So eventually, he'll likely split his time between the backup point and shooting guard. He'll get his minutes in direct proportion to his development as a player. It'll come. Give him a little time.

He should primarily play the 2 guard position. You said it yourself he is good enough to play the 2 and has the potential to be a star so that makes Manu as the most logical trade bait to get a quality center.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Agree with most of what you wrote but it is more asinine to believe Bonner Thomas and Oberto as a front line with Duncan will be enough to get out of the west.

Oberto is one of those guys whose value is impossible to quantify. That's not to overstate his value... that's just to say that his worth doesn't show up on a stat sheet, and that he's a lot more valuable than it may seem on the surface.

Bonner is helps on the glass, knocks down 3's, and pulls one of the opposing team's big men away from the basket, which gives Timmy room to work and Tony/Manu room to penetrate. Bonner is valuable.

The downside is that the Spurs interior defense isn't what it was when they had two 7-footers patrolling the paint at the same time. The Spurs are still one of the best defensive teams in the NBA (or will be by the time the playoffs roll around... just like every year). But it is true that they're not quite the defensive beast they were a couple years back.

Still... it puzzles me how people are so quick to point out that one area where they're not as strong, and hold it up as an insurmountable flaw.

Are the Lakers a perfect team? Is there absolutely no facet of their team with room for improvement???

The Spurs are still one of the best defensive teams in the game. They can penetrate with Parker and Ginobili. They can knock down shots as well as (or better than) any team in the league. And they still have one of the best post players in the game in TD.

To say it's asinine to think the Spurs could come out of the west with what they have now is, well... asinine.

The Spurs have no assurances of anything. I can't remember ever seeing so many championship caliber and near-championship caliber teams in the league at the same time. But the Spurs will have as strong a chance as anyone when they start firing on all cylinders (which they're not doing yet).

braeden0613
01-07-2009, 10:36 PM
*sigh* Maybe in a few years.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-07-2009, 10:38 PM
He should primarily play the 2 guard position. You said it yourself he is good enough to play the 2 and has the potential to be a star so that makes Manu as the most logical trade bait to get a quality center.

The problem is that Manu is not "trade bait". He's part of the very heart and soul of the team. In big moments of big games, Manu is one of the best players in the game. And the heart and energy he brings to the floor is hard to quantify. Manu is central to everything the Spurs do right now. You want to cut off an arm to add a leg.

And when you fundamentally alter the makeup of a team, it doesn't always work out quite the way you plan it (just ask Steve Kerry in Phoenix).

Because of Duncan's style of play... as Pat Reily said last year, Tim is likely to have a career arch similar to guys like Karl Malone and Kareem, both of whom averaged 20 ppg and nearly 10 boards per game all the way through their 30's. You've likely got at least 5 more years with Duncan as a faily dominant big man. Tony's only 26, and now you've got George Hill, and young shooters like Bonner and Mason.

There is time to put together several more legitimate championship runs before the Duncan era comes to a close. The Spurs may have an opportunity to improve themselves at the center position this summer without having to give someone like Manu to do it.

And again, I think the Spurs absolutely have a chance to win it all just as they are now.

rascal
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Isn't Camby eligible for free agency soon? There's no way you'd even consider dealing someone like Manu for Camby when he may only be a rental.

And let's not forget what a healthy Manu looks like in big game situations. He's one of those rare players who can elevate his play in big situations and take over a game. And he does so many things that don't show up on a stat sheet. I don't think Camby would be equal value under any circumstances.

I would love to have Camby though. If the Spurs could get Camby for Mihimini (or whatever his name is), the rights to Splitter, Kurt Thomas, and a draft pick or two... I'd be all for it. That would make this team beyond sick defensively.

Why would the Clippers want any of those guys when they need a good 2 guard?

Sure everyone wants to trade scrubs for quality bigs but that is not reality. It would take Manu to get Camby. Thats a trade that helps both teams.

I know its hard for Spur fans to accept but thats a trade that helps both teams. A front line of Duncan Bonner, Thomas and oberto will not get past the Lakers.

Your looking at the past when you write what Manu has done in the past.

How about what he will do in the future? Will the spurs get past the lakers with a slow soft frontline. Oberto who tips balls out and can't rebound, thomas who was too slow to even play many minutes against the lakers last year and Bonner who is nothing more than a backup quality perimeter shooting big.

You get players on the team who will help you win in the future not what they did in the past. Manu's window is closing fast. The spurs will not win with a weak front line, relying on Manu and scoring from the backcourt with only Duncan being any type of defensive presence on the inside with no other easy low post scoring option on the team.

Duncan will be doubled teamed and the spurs will rely on the 3 point shot. That does not bode well for success in the playoffs.

MarHill
01-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Another Spurs fan wanting to trade Manu!!!!

Yikes!!!

Again, Manu is the one who stirs the Spurs drink!! He is the X-Factor and without him the Spurs won't a title!

He just came off of ankle surgery. Spurs fans should give him a chance to get fully healthy..before you want to trade him!!! :bang

And I do believe that George has a potential to be an all-star in the future. But he still has a lot of developing to do.

:flag:

MaNuMaNiAc
01-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Rascal wants to trade Manu?? Seriously? when did this happen??

DAF86
01-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Camby for Manu straight up. Could work. I went to check Marcus' numbers and they're impressive. And it's possible 'cause the Clippers already have Kaman and Randolph. If Manu doesn't get his real level back, I would do it.

The problem I have with this trade are the following:

-Camby's age: He's 34. He doesn't have too much left in the tank.
-Camby's "fragility": He's known for getting injured quite often and quite bad.
-Recent history of bigs in SA (outside Duncan): Everytime we think that we bring a quality big man to help Duncan inside. That player starts sucking in a Spurs uniform. Rasho, Mohamed, Elson, Oberto, some more than others but all of them failed to meet the expectations.

-And the biggest reason of all: Manu starting to play like Manu again: If we trade him and he starts playing like the Manu we all know and love I'd shoot myself, simple as that.

EricB
01-08-2009, 12:31 AM
This thread has fallen farther and farther into failuredom.

weebo
01-08-2009, 12:41 AM
This is fucking stupid! Why would the Spurs trade Manu when PoP himself has gone on record saying the Spurs can't win a title without him? Now some of you know it alls want to trade him for camby!? LOL...You fucking internet GMs are fucking laughable!!!
First you were trading Bonner and Vaughn...now Manu? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL You guys are a joke!!! LLLLLLLLLLLLLLlooooooooooooolLLLLLLLOOLLlllllllol

Sean Cagney
01-08-2009, 02:13 AM
WOW, just another dumb azz thread. Why do some Spurs fans hate Manu and Some Parker? What are they just stupid as hell???? Hill is what 6'1, or so? Yeah he can replace Manu at the 2!!!!!!!! I tell you he can!!!!!!! Get the hell outta here.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 02:30 AM
amare?

i don't like the idea of trading manu...
i love him, one of my favorite players, and i always hoped (hope) he can retire as a spur..

but, without bias, i would trade manu for dhoward in a heartbeat, and amare, well, packaged with another player would work.

yes, i know these propositions don't match up financially.

Popovich would have a stroke if he tried to coach Amare. D'antoni almost had a stroke and he didn't even care about Amare's biggest weakness.

Trainwreck2100
01-08-2009, 02:36 AM
He's got a shot at the rookie/soph game

TDMVPDPOY
01-08-2009, 03:07 AM
so much untapped potential

fkn legend i tell yah....

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-08-2009, 03:30 AM
Manu for Camby ? That's like trading your ice cream for a punch in the stomach.

Manu's trade value is far less ( for many obvious reasons ) than what he gives us on the court, so there is no way you can get even close to similar value for him in both potential and actual help for this year's title run.

erikuff
01-08-2009, 04:43 AM
Every year with Duncan is a big year and risking 2 years to wait for a rookie to develop while you already have the #3 SG in the league is one of the worst ideas I've heard all day.

baseline bum
01-08-2009, 06:45 AM

You gotta be fucking kidding me. Cotton Camby? You're seriously nothing but a troll.

rascal
01-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Every year with Duncan is a big year and risking 2 years to wait for a rookie to develop while you already have the #3 SG in the league is one of the worst ideas I've heard all day.
You're only looking at one side of the side what you are losing. How about the big increase in production the front court will get with the addition of Camby.

The Spurs will not get past the Lakers in the playoffs with the current roster as it is. You will see.

baseline bum
01-08-2009, 07:02 AM
You're only looking at one side of the side what you are losing. How about the big increase in production the front court will get with the addition of Camby.

The Spurs will not get past the Lakers in the playoffs with the current roster as it is. You will see.

I think the only side you're looking at is the inside of your ass.

Illusionarist
01-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Just leave Manu alone. He is the heart of the San Antonio Spurs.

mountainballer
01-08-2009, 08:44 AM

the Spurs will not even get the chance to try to get past the Lakers, if they trade Manu.

aside the fact that an addition of Camby would be nice, it's quite naive to look at the numbers of that player and claim he would produce the same way when he was with the Spurs. but it's a 100% sure thing that what Manu provides will be gone. and it still seems to be a secrete to some people that the impact of Manu comes from the unique combination of numbers, versatility, scoring efficiency and clutch ability.
and then there is the fact that Tim, Tony and Manu could play with bandaged eyes and would find each other.

yes, we need a big. yes, Camby would be nice. if Hill is half as good as you claim, he would also be attractive for other teams and so I would use him 100 times as a teaser in a trade for a big, before I even think about trading Manu.

btw. starting SG, long arms etc......what a nonsense.
some long arms help you a bit to play bigger than your size, but any 6'2'', 180 lbs SG will be eaten alive by every Kobe version 6'6'' 220 lbs athlete, no matter how long his arms are. and unfortunately some of those big SGs also display some freaking long arms.

m33p0
01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
there's no emoticon alive that can adequately describe what i think about you.

in2deep
01-08-2009, 10:14 AM
trade Manu for Camby? please God no!

We could never get an equal value trade when trading Manu, he is so underpaid, so risky and so special that most GMs would not offer anything close to his value.

Spurminator
01-08-2009, 12:55 PM
You rascal you.

Sissiborgo
01-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Very good player but i am not sure about a All-Star...:fro

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 11:44 AM

Did last night's game change your mind?

It certainly had an impact on me. After watching that layup, and the steal/dunk... I had to shake my head and think "This kid's got a chance to be something special".

ego
01-09-2009, 12:05 PM

Yes Hill is a good player but there is a problem with his number of assists:depressed

rascal
01-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Yes Hill is a good player but there is a problem with his number of assists:depressed

Hill is not a true assit pg and with Parker locked in as the pg getting the bulk of the minutes Hill could move over and play the 2.
His long reach makes him play a little bigger than his listed height and he would have no problem moving over to play the 2 guard spot.

Between Hill and Mason the 2 guard spot would be covered with solid players and would not be a weakness on the team while the center position would have a major upgrade.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 12:20 PM

He'll have to develop as a point guard over time (though he'll likely split time between the point and 2-guard), just as Tony did.

This kid's only been in the NBA for a couple months. I don't think anyone is saying that he's and all-star NOW... but it's hard to argue against his potential.

rascal
01-09-2009, 12:22 PM
He'll have to develop as a point guard over time (though he'll likely split time between the point and 2-guard), just as Tony did.

This kid's only been in the NBA for a couple months. I don't think anyone is saying that he's and all-star NOW... but it's hard to argue against his potential.

How could he ever be an all star playing primarily as a backup to Parker?

The way it could happen is to play him at the 2 and to do that Manu has to be moved to open up more minutes for him.

Little doubt he has the physical hops to develope into a star player but he needs the opportunity.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 12:27 PM
becuase hill cant play sg

Why can't he?

He has the size (when you factor his wing span). He can shoot from outside. He can drive to the basket. No reason in the world why he can't play SG, and as he develops, he almost certainly will get some time at the 2-guard position.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 12:31 PM
How could he ever be an all star playing primarily as a backup to Parker?

The way it could happen is to play him at the 2 and to do that Manu has to be moved to open up more minutes for him.

Little doubt he has the physical hops to develope into a star player but he needs the opportunity.

Manu does NOT have to be moved for Hill to get minutes dude. I don't get why you've got that in your head.

He can get 15 minutes a game at the point behind Parker, and eventually, he'll begin to cut into the minutes of everyone that plays the 2-guard... then at some point, Finley will no longer be needed.

rascal
01-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Manu does NOT have to be moved for Hill to get minutes dude. I don't get why you've got that in your head.

He can get 15 minutes a game at the point behind Parker, and eventually, he'll begin to cut into the minutes of everyone that plays the 2-guard... and eventually, Finley will no longer be needed.

Hill should not be waiting to eventually get minutes. He is good enough to be getting minutes now to quicken his development and confidence by playing .

TMTTRIO
01-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Your not going to get anything really good for Manu so I think you can forget it. Hill will get a lot of playing time like he has and he'll continue to get better but I don't see why you need to get rid of Manu now. Hey he may be gone soon anyways after his contract expires.

m33p0
01-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Hill should not be waiting to eventually get minutes. He is good enough to be getting minutes now to quicken his development and confidence by playing .
so you would trade manu for the sake of getting hill some experience. brilliant move, einstein. might as well trade duncan too since we can kiss any chance for a championship goodbye. remind me never to hire you as a consultant.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 12:51 PM

Well, call Coach Pop and tell him you know better. Pop can give Hill as many minutes as he wants to without having to move anyone.

xapatan2
01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Playing for the Spurs means an approach of Basketball play, and a certain mentality, a collective one in a game plan were defense is the start.

It's quite difficult to find Good Spurs Material. And when you have it, you keep it until he retires... most of the Time !

You just don't Trade people like Tim, Manu, Tony, or Bruce..

You Keep It.

And some of us are begining to think that Mason and Hill seems to be Spurs Material... Only Playoffs will tell...

And we have and will have, it the test is passed, enough playtime to propose to Georges Hill to develop...

Maybe he will be an all-star... But after Manu retires !

end of thread :)

Xap'

Spurminator
01-09-2009, 01:49 PM

It is crucial that we put together the right team to hoist the Most Developed Rookie trophy at the end of the season.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 03:47 PM
George doesn't have the vision yet to be a great passer.

I heard the same things said about Tony, and he became a very good passer. TP is not Steve Nash because that's not the kind of PG he is... but he definitely developed that aspect of his game (passing) to a far greater degree than many thought he would.

At every level Hill has played at thus far, Hill has been the offensive focal point of his team. So you have no idea how good a passer he can be. Neither do I. We'll just have to wait and see how he develops.

I do know that he has good range on his shot, fantastic quickness, and a lot of offensive creativity with the ball in his hands.

He's also a "superior defender", as Pop called him, and has good instincts.

His ceiling appears to be quite high. Will he become an all-star? We'll just have to wait and see. But I'd better money that he'll become a hell of a lot more productive player than Johnny Dawkins.

rascal
01-09-2009, 10:21 PM
so you would trade manu for the sake of getting hill some experience. brilliant move, einstein. might as well trade duncan too since we can kiss any chance for a championship goodbye. remind me never to hire you as a consultant.

No not for the sake of getting Hill experience you moron. Thats just an added bonus. For the sake of getting a top center who will give the spurs a legitimate chance against the Lakers. Forget about a championship this year with the front line the spurs have now. Its not going to happen.

DAF86
01-09-2009, 10:26 PM
No not for the sake of getting Hill experience you moron. Thats just an added bonus. For the sake of getting a top center who will give the spurs a legitimate chance against the Lakers. Forget about a championship this year with the front line the spurs have now. Its not going to happen.

So why didn't you just named the thread: "Camby for Manu" or something like that? Did you puss out a little bit?

The Truth #6
01-10-2009, 12:52 AM
So Hill has a good game and dunks the ball and now we need to trade Manu? That's basically retarded.

ClingingMars
01-10-2009, 02:08 AM

m33p0
01-10-2009, 04:57 AM
with manu's salary coupled with what he brings to the table, the spurs will get screwed with any deal they try to make. if you don't believe me, then find a center worth $10m/year that could help, as in really help the spurs win a trophy. you can't! in order to get a quality big, you will have to add another spur to the deal just to even out the salaries. since the guys we're willing to trade aren't attractive, you have to put in guys that are. which means the spurs will end up not only losing manu but also someone else who is actually helping the team.

... and you call me a moron. :lmao

Spursone
01-10-2009, 09:17 AM
:lobt2:First of all let's not put Manu out to pasture just yet, he still is valuable and has a spirit that can't be tamed. George Hill is a fine player and he needs more minutes, I agree, but Manu we cannot get rid of just yet. The injuries we had early in the Season have helped exploit the talents of guys like Hill, Mason, and even the Red Rocket. I think we are going to have a good run deep into the playoffs. We are working great as a team and the young guys are developing well. So let's put down our crack pipes and chill. :p: