PDA

View Full Version : Phil is a bad coach.

SmellyFeet
01-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Nice job putting Yue in there. A 17 lead turns into 5.

IronMexican
01-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Yue sucks ass, but there was no one else to put in.

SmellyFeet
01-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Yue sucks ass, but there was no one else to put in.

Powell was putting great hustle and effort . Got nothing against Yue, he's a nice kid, but he is shit. If he can't even knock down an open look, what the fuck is he good for?

turiaf for president
01-08-2009, 09:55 AM
6 rings and 1000+ wins says otherwise

sonic21
01-08-2009, 09:57 AM

:tu i agree, the 3-peat was a fluke

pauls931
01-08-2009, 10:04 AM

If he has the best player in the league on his roster, he does well. This year perhaps Kobe is the best and he'll get it. He's good at moving to clubs that have loaded rosters, but shitty coaches.

I. Hustle
01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Bullshit! I mean c'mon when he took over in Chicago a certain player was there along with a group that was not put together by him. Then he goes to another team with Shaq and Kobe and a group that he again did not put together.
The triangle offense?! Give the ball to that guy because he is the best option. The guy is a shit coach that happened to be at the right place at the right time.

I would pick Jerry Sloan over him any day and he doesn't even have one ring!

turiaf for president
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Bullshit! I mean c'mon when he took over in Chicago a certain player was there along with a group that was not put together by him. Then Jordan leaves and they don't even make the playoffs. Then he goes to another team with Shaq and Kobe and a group that he again did not put together.
The triangle offense?! Give the ball to that guy because he is the best option. The guy is a shit coach that happened to be at the right place at the right time.

he won 55 games with pippen the year jordan retired......

anakha
01-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Bullshit! I mean c'mon when he took over in Chicago a certain player was there along with a group that was not put together by him. Then Jordan leaves and they don't even make the playoffs.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 10:28 AM

9 rings.....

turiaf for president
01-08-2009, 10:32 AM
^ yes i stand corrected lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 10:34 AM
If he has the best player in the league on his roster, he does well. This year perhaps Kobe is the best and he'll get it. He's good at moving to clubs that have loaded rosters, but shitty coaches.

Has a coach ever been able to win a title with shitty players? No matter how good a coach is teams need talent.

I. Hustle
01-08-2009, 10:36 AM
:lol my bad I went off on an angry rant and just threw out some BS. I didn't mean for it to be taken literally but yeah my bad. Point is though the guy just rides the coattails of teams that have already been established. Given the chance I bet he would have jumped at the chance to coach the * team and every group after that.

I. Hustle
01-08-2009, 10:37 AM
^ yes i stand corrected lol

That's what you get for calling me out :lol

You didn't even count the rings he won with your team

I. Hustle
01-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Has a coach ever been able to win a title with shitty players? No matter how good a coach is teams need talent.

Right that is true but most coaches are involved in building the team they are on. They usually do more than just say give the ball to that guy.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Bullshit! I mean c'mon when he took over in Chicago a certain player was there along with a group that was not put together by him. Then Jordan leaves and they don't even make the playoffs. Then he goes to another team with Shaq and Kobe and a group that he again did not put together.

There isn't a coach in NBA history that could have made the playoffs with the 99 Bulls.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
And I don't think Phil coached the 99 Bulls, I think he left when Jordan retired.

I. Hustle
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
And I don't think Phil coached the 99 Bulls, I think he left when Jordan retired.

Yeah he was already with the Lakers that year.

I. Hustle
01-08-2009, 10:44 AM
There isn't a coach in NBA history that could have made the playoffs with the 99 Bulls.

He wasn't coaching that team. The dude cut and ran. Why be on a team without a player like Jordan when you can go to the Lakers? So if Kobe were to leave you think he would actually stay?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 10:54 AM
He wasn't coaching that team. The dude cut and ran. Why be on a team without a player like Jordan when you can go to the Lakers? So if Kobe were to leave you think he would actually stay?

Why would he stay when he could go to a better team? You can't fault him for wanting to win.

I. Hustle
01-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Why would he stay when he could go to a better team? You can't fault him for wanting to win.

So what happens when the teams with the best players all have coaches and the only teams with vacancies are teams that are in rebuilding mode? Retirement again?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 10:58 AM
So what happens when the teams with the best players all have coaches and the only teams with vacancies are teams that are in rebuilding mode? Retirement again?

Yes, he's won 9 titles and can get a coaching job as long as he's alive. He can do whatever he wants.

BTW - he took over a Laker team that won 34 games (I think) in 2005 and immediately made them better.

turiaf for president
01-08-2009, 11:10 AM
^ same roster and they made the playoffs with walton, smush parker, and chris mihm starting. i think that was arguably his best coaching job hes done.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 11:15 AM
^ same roster and they made the playoffs with walton, smush parker, and chris mihm starting. i think that was arguably his best coaching job hes done.

They also had a 3-1 series lead on the Suns. He took a 34 win team, traded Caron Butler for Kwame Brown and added players not worth mentioning, I agree it was one of his best coaching performances. 2007-2008 was also a great job.

JamStone
01-08-2009, 11:34 AM

Why do you continue to make things up. Jerry Krauss wouldn't renew his coaching contract after the 1998 championship. He said it was time to start looking for the future. The Bulls not renewing Phil Jackson's contract is one of the primary reasons Jordan decided to "retire" after 1998. Jordan has said many times that if the Bulls kept Jackson, he would have continued to play for the Bulls. Jackson did not cut and run.

Phil Jackson did not coach the 1998-99 Lakers. He took a year off. His first year with the Lakers was the 1999-2000 season. And, that was the first title for that Shaq-Kobe team. Say what you want say about Phil Jackson having Jordan and Pippen and Shaq and Kobe, but those Jordan Bulls teams and Shaq and Kobe Lakers teams did not win the title before Phil Jackson coached them. It certainly helped to have great players. But, why didn't they win with Doug Collins or Del Harris?

xtremesteven33
01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Why do you continue to make things up. Jerry Krauss wouldn't renew his coaching contract after the 1998 championship. He said it was time to start looking for the future. The Bulls not renewing Phil Jackson's contract is one of the primary reasons Jordan decided to "retire" after 1998. Jordan has said many times that if the Bulls kept Jackson, he would have continued to play for the Bulls. Jackson did not cut and run.

Phil Jackson did not coach the 1998-99 Lakers. He took a year off. His first year with the Lakers was the 1999-2000 season. And, that was the first title for that Shaq-Kobe team. Say what you want say about Phil Jackson having Jordan and Pippen and Shaq and Kobe, but those Jordan Bulls teams and Shaq and Kobe Lakers teams did not win the title before Phil Jackson coached them. It certainly helped to have great players. But, why didn't they win with Doug Collins or Del Harris?

Phil cannot win without Jordan or Shaq.

IronMexican
01-08-2009, 12:16 PM
And Pop can't win without Tim. You need great players to win titles.

I. Hustle
01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
And Pop can't win without Tim. You need great players to win titles.

Right but Pop was with the team before he started coaching it. He helped build the team that he has.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Right but Pop was with the team before he started coaching it. He helped build the team that he has.

You're missing the whole point, great coaches still need great players, regardless of whether the player or the coach was there first.

It's not like Popovich took Tim Duncan with a 2nd round pick and developed him into a great player. Shaq, Duncan and MJ would have been Hall of Famers regardless of the coach, and coaches need players of that caliber to succeed.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 01:23 PM
I guess Red Auerbach is a bad coach because he can't win a title w/o Bill Russell and Cousy or Russell and Havlicek.

lefty
01-08-2009, 02:07 PM

Because Pop would have won without Duncan? :rolleyes

Kobe™
01-08-2009, 02:07 PM
You do understand that this a long season right?

Derek can't play these long minutes on a consistent basis during this period of time in his career.

lefty
01-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Derek can't play these long minutes on a consistent basis during this period of time in his career.

Damn

Can you stop typing in bold letters ?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 02:13 PM

What would you suggest Phil does given the fact he has no other PG he can trust at running the offense?

Coaches can't fill holes on teams, they need to find ways around them. IMO Phil is doing the best he can, the Laker's bench isn't as deep as people say, especially with Odom injured. Even if Phil is under performing, there are no better options out there.

JamStone
01-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Is Larry Brown the best coach ever since he won an NBA title without one single Hall of Fame player on his team while beating a HOF head coach that had four Hall of Fame players on his team?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Is Larry Brown the best coach ever since he won an NBA title without one single Hall of Fame player on his team while beating a HOF head coach that had four Hall of Fame players on his team?

Phil isn't a HOF coach since he needed Shaq or MJ to win. A HOF coach should be able to win with this starting lineup:

Marco Jaric
Ricky Davis
Antoine Walker
Robin Lopez
Michael Olowakandi

If you need great players to win then you suck.

Lakers_55
01-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Back on topic. We are missing a point guard, going through the injuries every team has this year, and each team will every year. It was fine to put Sun Yue in, give him some minutes, see what he can do. Yeah, we surrendered the lead, but it wasn't all Sun's fault. So what if we lose a game or two because he plays Sun Yue while trying to save Fisher's legs. Better to find out now what he can do than in April if we lose a couple of more guys.

We will be seeing more of Sun Yue in the near future. If he does really well, his criticism will disappear. If he doesn't, bench him. Note the similarity of this to what the Spurs went through. Parker and Ginobili are out, so Mason and Hill get minutes and do well. Tolliver gets a chance and can't cut it, he was just waived.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Lakers 55, do you think it would be smart for LA to try and trade for Lindsay Hunter? I can't imagine Chicago has any reason why they want to hold onto him, a future 2nd rounder and a bench player would probably work. This way Hunter and Fisher could keep each other fresh for the playoffs and they're 2 players Kobe and Phil trust. JMHO

Medvedenko
01-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I would love to have Lindsay Hunter back in LA. I'm not quite sure what he has left in the tank but he knows the triangle, phil and Kobe.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 05:13 PM
I would love to have Lindsay Hunter back in LA. I'm not quite sure what he has left in the tank but he knows the triangle, phil and Kobe.

He also plays great D and is a veteran presence, I am still pissed as fuck that the Suns didn't sign him after the season started and before the Bulls signed him. They had no reason why they shouldn't pay the veterans minimum for someone who can dump it into Shaq, play D, move w/o the ball and not try to play beyond his ability. Now they might sign Shaun Livingston.

Lakers_55
01-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Lakers 55, do you think it would be smart for LA to try and trade for Lindsay Hunter? I can't imagine Chicago has any reason why they want to hold onto him, a future 2nd rounder and a bench player would probably work. This way Hunter and Fisher could keep each other fresh for the playoffs and they're 2 players Kobe and Phil trust. JMHO

I think if we were going to make a trade, we would have by now. there was talk of Chris Mihm to Milwaukee for Tyrone Lue, or getting Pargo from Russia somehow. I hadn't thought about trying to get Hunter, so, I can't say if it's a good idea or not. I think the Lakers want to keep chemistry as it is, however I am sure they, as well as I, are open to any upgrade. When Farmar comes back at 100%, he can always get more minutes and rest Fisher more, plus of Sun works out, he can get a few as well. THen Fisher can be fresh for the playoffs.

My gut instinct is we won't make a trade, we like what we have. Sure, we have ups and downs, but so does everyone. Now,the tradng deadline isn't here yet, and no one has made a big move yet. If one occurs, look for most of the western cmpetitors to do similar, just as happened last season.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Now,the tradng deadline isn't here yet, and no one has made a big move yet. If one occurs, look for most of the western cmpetitors to do similar, just as happened last season.

Sure they have. Iverson 4 Billups is borderline blockbuster and Bell + Diaw 4 Richardson is somewhat big.

The Lakers do have a team capable of going the distance and I can see why they won't make a single trade, it's just my opinion they don't have enough leadership, intelligence, and grit outside of Kobe and have too many players that need leadership, especially on defense.

Outside of Gasol, it seems like they all have a bad habit of getting complacent and standing around when they don't have the ball if Kobe is having one of those nights. That's why the "when Kobe takes 20+ shots" stat says absolutely nothing about Kobe, it says that the other players quit trying to get open if Kobe is playing well.

Zee Laker
01-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Umm what do you Phil to do? play Fish 45 mins a night till Farmar, Luke and Lamar are back? He is going with the players he on the bench and winning most of the games

JamStone
01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Phil isn't a HOF coach since he needed Shaq or MJ to win. A HOF coach should be able to win with this starting lineup:

Marco Jaric
Ricky Davis
Antoine Walker
Robin Lopez
Michael Olowakandi

No great coach had "only" shitty players on winning teams.

It's one thing to say Phil Jackson couldn't have coached NBA championship teams without Jordan and Shaq and Kobe. It's quite a different thing to say he's a "bad coach."

Could he have won without Jordan and Shaq and Kobe? No.

Is he a bad coach? No.

Armando
01-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Don't worry that happens to me to when I talk about the Spurs 3 titles. :lol

RsxPiimp
01-08-2009, 07:48 PM

none of those players won as first options without phil either.

two way street

RsxPiimp
01-08-2009, 07:51 PM

Marco Jaric
Ricky Davis
Antoine Walker
Robin Lopez
Michael Olowakandi

ridiculous statement. most coaches either had a duncan.bird,magic,olajuwon.bill russell etc to win.

you cant win a title without a superstar. well you can but you need at least 4 all stars and a dpoy( larry brown pistons)

Armando
01-08-2009, 07:54 PM
ridiculous statement. most coaches either had a duncan.bird,magic,olajuwon.bill russell etc to win.

you cant win a title without a superstar. well you can but you need at least 4 all stars and a dpoy( larry brown pistons)

You can be the greatest coach ever you are not winning if you don't have the horses.

Riley won with Kareem,Magic,Worthy,Scott,Wade,Shaq.

Pop had Duncan,DROB,Manu,Parker

Phil had Kobe,Shaq,MJ,Pippen and talented role players in Chicago.

mystargtr34
01-08-2009, 08:00 PM

I think he was being sarcastic.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 09:18 PM

Dude, that was a joke, I was being sarcastic because it is ridiculous to criticize Phil Jackson for not winning a title w/o Shaq or Jordan.

SmellyFeet
01-10-2009, 02:45 AM
Great coaching phil. Going with radmanoviz over bynum for "defensive" purposes?

We need a defensive coach badly. Phil just doesn't give a shit.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-10-2009, 02:50 AM
We need a defensive coach badly. Phil just doesn't give a shit.

lol, remember their 2004-2005 season w/o Phil, BOY WAS THAT D IMPRESSIVE!!!!

SmellyFeet
01-10-2009, 02:51 AM
lol, remember their 2004-2005 season w/o Phil, BOY WAS THAT D IMPRESSIVE!!!!

How's phil balls taste?

dirk4mvp
01-10-2009, 03:00 AM
How's phil balls taste?

He's too busy sucking off the Spurs to know that yet.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-10-2009, 03:00 AM
How's phil balls taste?

I wasn't aware anyone who doesn't consider Phil a bad coach has sucked his balls. I also wasn't aware a 9 time championship winner was considered a bad coach. I don't really know anything anymore :depressed

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-10-2009, 03:06 AM
He's too busy sucking off the Spurs to know that yet.

I'd rather "suck on" the Spurs then have whatever fetish you have with a 7 footer who can't post Louis Amundson up.

dirk4mvp
01-10-2009, 03:07 AM
I'd rather "suck on" the Spurs then have whatever fetish you have with a 7 footer who can't post Louis Amundson up.

:wow

DAF86
01-10-2009, 03:14 AM

:lol :owned

cobbler
01-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Funny how the Jordan/Pippen and Kobe/Shaq teams won squat before PJ arrived. Yes, coaches have to have great players to win a title. Wow, thats rocket science isnt it? But how many coaches HAVE had great players and won nothing? The list is long. Hmmmmmmmmm

9 rings... 10th comming soon... Enough said...

IronMexican
01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
The fact that the 05/06 won 45 games is enough of a testament to say he is a great coach.

Baseline
01-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Phil is the most opportunistic coach in history - not the best coach.

He fully realizes that the NBA runs on its stars. He had Jordan, and he had Shaquille. They were far and away the most dominant players in the league, so he won 9 rings. It's that simple.

Now he has Bryant, who isn't as dominant as Jordan and Shaquille were, but he gets more calls than any player in the history of the league. Phil knows that stars get the calls, so you will never see Phil coach a team that doesn't have at least one big star.

Bryant isn't good enough to win a ring with "his own team." That's why the Lakers had no prayer before the Gasol trade. Everybody knows that Bryant needs a big man to win. So we'll see if they can pull it off this year. I say they can't.

td4mvp21
01-10-2009, 05:46 PM

Oh shit!

td4mvp21
01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
The fact that the 05/06 won 45 games is enough of a testament to say he is a great coach.

That team was horrible. He did a lot with very little.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-10-2009, 06:50 PM

I would have to agree considering that Brian Cook, Kwame Brown, Smush Parker, and Chris Mihm combined for 233 starts.

cobbler
01-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Bryant isn't good enough to win a ring with "his own team." That's why the Lakers had no prayer before the Gasol trade. Everybody knows that Bryant needs a big man to win. So we'll see if they can pull it off this year. I say they can't.

Show me a player who did win a ring on his own. I would love to see it. Show me one who didn't have their counterpart. Please show me or STFU. Last I looked... Shaq never won shit without Kobe either. Jordan never won without Pippen. And Pippen never won without Jordan. And before you go there... dont even bring up the Miami thing with Shaq... we all know who was the dominant player in those series.

And to clue your ignorant ass in... the Lakers were in 1st place in the west prior to the Bynum injury. No Gasol present.

Reck
01-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Shaq never won shit without Kobe either.

Idiotic thing to say.

Wade would not have won the champ by himself. It was after the Shaq trade that that feat was possible. Or did Miami won the champ before Shaq? I cant remember. Can you refresh my memory?

cobbler
01-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Idiotic thing to say.

Wade would not have won the champ by himself. It was after the Shaq trade that that feat was possible. Or did Miami won the champ before Shaq? I cant remember. Can you refresh my memory?

Idiotic? What did Shaq win in Orlando? The point was that no one player wins it alone. Kobe needed Shaq... Wade needed Shaq. Shaq needed Kobe and Wade as well. It's not friggen rocket science. Again, I implore all you idiots who bark about kobe winning nothing without Shaq to show me a single player who won without another star or two on their side. INCLUDING SHAQ.

And BTW... to refresh your memory... Wade was the MVP and dominant player in their title run... so if yor going to use Kobe never won anything without Shaq attitude cause Shaq was so dominant... it has to be that Shaq couldnt have won that year without Wade. You cannot have it both ways.

Again, i would love for anyone to show me the single superstar that won a title without others.

You Shadow are the idiot.

Reck
01-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Idiotic? What did Shaq win in Orlando? The point was that no one player wins it alone. Kobe needed Shaq... Wade needed Shaq. Shaq needed Kobe and Wade as well. It's not friggen rocket science. Again, I implore all you idiots who bark about kobe winning nothing without Shaq to show me a single player who won without another star or two on their side. INCLUDING SHAQ.

And BTW... to refresh your memory... Wade was the MVP and dominant player in their title run... so if yor going to use Kobe never won anything without Shaq attitude cause Shaq was so dominant... it has to be that Shaq couldnt have won that year without Wade. You cannot have it both ways.

Again, i would love for anyone to show me the single superstar that won a title without others.

Is an idiotic statement because you simply said that Shaq hadn't won a championship after Kobe which is BS since he did. Wade or no he still has one without Kobe.

I'll agree with you that every great player needs his big man to go places but all I'm saying is Kobe to me, and this is my sole opinion, needed Shaq more then Shaq needed him. Again, Shaq has one extra champ without Kobe to prove it. While in the other hand Kobe has yet to get his without him.

For Kobe's sake he better get another ring within the next few years because his clock is ticking.

SmellyFeet
01-11-2009, 12:38 AM

Wadw would have won with kwame fucken brown that year.....he's called Dwhistle for a reason.

cobbler
01-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Is an idiotic statement because you simply said that Shaq hadn't won a championship after Kobe which is BS since he did. Wade or no he still has one without Kobe.

I'll agree with you that every great player needs his big man to go places but all I'm saying is Kobe to me, and this is my sole opinion, needed Shaq more then Shaq needed him. Again, Shaq has one extra champ without Kobe to prove it. While in the other hand Kobe has yet to get his without him.

For Kobe's sake he better get another ring within the next few years because his clock is ticking.

My bad... My implication about Shaq not winning without Kobe was meant to pertain to their years together. Of course he won in Miami as i later said in the post. As far as who needed who more... who's to say? Shaq dominated games and Kobe finished them. Not to mention all the other qualitly players alongside. They win squat together without Shaw, Horry, Fox etc.

I'm willing to bet...when it's all said and done...Kobe has more rings than Shaq. But we will have to see.

Again, we misintrepeted each other. No prob.

RsxPiimp
01-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Dude, that was a joke, I was being sarcastic because it is ridiculous to criticize Phil Jackson for not winning a title w/o Shaq or Jordan.

oh my bad:toast