PDA

View Full Version : need help with Basketball cards

phyzik
01-08-2009, 12:26 AM
I know back in the day they had the magazines you could buy that would tell you the worth of each card. I havnt even looked at my collection for almost 15 years. Is there a free website that can tell me the estimated value of each card?

Im not planning on selling anything just yet, Im just curious.

lil_penny
01-08-2009, 12:29 AM
I think becket was a magazine back in the day don't know if they have a sight.. I need to check out my raef lafrentz rookie cards value though

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-08-2009, 12:30 AM
www.beckett.com
???
just a guess

phyzik
01-08-2009, 12:40 AM
www.beckett.com
???
just a guess

yeah, thanks, I just found it on google after I posted this. Damn this is going to take a long fucking time. I have 3 huge binders worth of cards. :lol

just for peoples imagination, each binder is over 6 inches thick and each card binder is double sided, some (not many since I learned it could damage them) with multiple cards in the same slot since they are the same.

phyzik
01-08-2009, 12:49 AM
I just took a quick glance and realized I must have catagorized them by team, thats pretty damn sweet! a loose binder fell out and a Moses Malone card from the Hawks just slipped out of its sleeve, no damage thank goodness. :smokin

haha, I got an Avery Johnson card from when he was with the Warriors. 93-94 :lol I completely forgot about that!

phyzik
01-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Damn, looking at all these names on their respective teams at the time brings back memories.

Maurice cheeks, Dominique wilkins, Glenn Rivers, Moses Malone.... thats just 4 cards on one sleeve page that holds 9 on one side and its just the hawks!

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-08-2009, 12:56 AM
I heard most cards are pretty worthless because they all can be found for cheap on eBay

phyzik
01-08-2009, 01:19 AM
I heard most cards are pretty worthless because they all can be found for cheap on eBay

True, but some of these cards me, and my dad before me, have been sitting on for well over 40 years.

For instance, I have a card in mint condition of Jerry Sloan when he played with the bulls back in the late 60's.

And Im talking 3 huge binders of this stuff. Sure alot of it is from the 80's but still. I have quite a few cards from my dad, maybe 5% is from WAY back.

If I had to guess its well over 8000 cards.

Even saying average they are worth about 3.00 a piece thats a pretty good chunk of change.

phyzik
01-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Just found a Phil Jackson card from when he played with the Knicks in the early 70's

tp2021
01-08-2009, 03:41 AM
True, but some of these cards me, and my dad before me, have been sitting on for well over 40 years.

For instance, I have a card in mint condition of Jerry Sloan when he played with the bulls back in the late 60's.

Just found a Phil Jackson card from when he played with the Knicks in the early 70's

That's pretty boss phyzik.

Girasuck
01-09-2009, 12:53 AM
I'd be the expert on this subject. I've been collecting since 1986 and have held several card shows within the past few years. Beckett still releases a price guide magazine each month but it's limited to newer releases. Basically anything within the past few years. Beckett also releases a price guide for each sport 4 times a year that goes more in depth, which means it includes almost every set made.

To save you time I'll give you a few pointers...

First...if you have anything from the early 90's you might as well throw them away. They're worthless. Card companies overproduced in the 90's and most of it is total junk. Starting around 1995 is when you'll find some sought after cards, most of which will be rare inserts, rookies or serial numbered cards. In 1997 the game worn card was introduced and that pretty much changed the hobby. Today the majority of collectors are looking for autographed cards.

Anything pre 1989 will be worth more if it's graded. Graded cards are cards sent into a grading company that get slabbed. For a fee (usually around $10 per card) you can ship your cards to a grading company (Beckett, PSA, GAI are the 3 biggies) and they'll examine your card and issue it a grade. Most collectors won't touch a card unless it gets at least a 9 out of 10 score which is considered Mint.

Vintage cards still carry value even if they aren't graded. Vintage would be anything pre 1980. Most vintage cards aren't in the best of shape and collectors realize this so condition really isn't the most important issue, however if you have vintage cards and they look to be in excellent to mint condition, it's worth it to have them graded. Vintage cards that get a good grade will sell for big bucks.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like.