PDA

View Full Version : Spurs should sign Miles...and here's why

MaNu4Tres
01-08-2009, 09:39 AM
To get Pritchard back for trading for Batum one pick before we picked. They didn't even work out Batum. The word got to Pritchard that Batum was one of the few who we cherished. So I say sign Miles and play him 2 games just to screw them back. Just my opinion.

I. Hustle
01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
G Hill FTW

he did us a favor

CubanMustGo
01-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Yeah, but if you can mess up POR as a FA destination all the better. Make it so, FO.

Bruno
01-08-2009, 09:59 AM
They didn't even work out Batum.

False.
Batum worked out for Portland and they really liked him.

The only thing I blame Portland for is to stockpile players (thanks to Allen's money) without carrying about their development. One day, it will bite them in the ass...

Bartleby
01-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Unless the Spurs really thought Miles could contribute (which I doubt), it would be an obvious punk move. Holt might be tempted by the money he would pocket, but Pop would never go for it.

Strike
01-08-2009, 10:52 AM
False.
Batum worked out for Portland and they really liked him.

The only thing I blame Portland for is to stockpile players (thanks to Allen's money) without carrying about their development. One day, it will bite them in the ass...

It has bitten them in the ass. Many times over the past 10 years. The reason they're doing better now is because they're beginning to get away from that.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Well, really they are just stockpiling players on rookie contracts from draft picks they either bought or got from sucking. They have, what, 10 or 11 players currently on rookie deals?

K-State Spur
01-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah, but if you can mess up POR as a FA destination all the better. Make it so, FO.

Portland's young guys are about to get into the big contracts very quickly here - they're not going to have much cap space for future FAs.

If Miles gets his 10 games in, the main effect it will have is to put them well into the tax a year early.

As it is, this is a BS situation. Portland took on that contract, they should have to pay the piper. Just because they got some doctor to say that it was a career ending injury shouldn't clear them of their cap obligation. Miles is going to have trouble finding work because he isn't any good, not because of the injury.

tonylongoriafan
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
get off batum's sack...george hill has worked out fine and that is NOT why you sign a player

SenorSpur
01-08-2009, 11:54 AM
To get Pritchard back for trading for Batum one pick before we picked. They didn't even work out Batum. The word got to Pritchard that Batum was one of the few who we cherished. So I say sign Miles and play him 2 games just to screw them back. Just my opinion.

I'm with that.
:tu

Mal
01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Sign Miles, and then offer him for Batum :D Blazers couldn`t resign their young stars if Miles`s money would be add to salary cup :) Very sneaky :)

JamStone
01-08-2009, 02:27 PM
One of the teams in the NW division should care more about doing that to Portland than any other team. Let Denver pick up Miles on a 10 day contract while Carmelo is out with his hand fracture. Play Miles 3-4 minutes for a couple games and let the 10 day expire.

Austin_Toros
01-08-2009, 04:30 PM
miles? nehhh.
before his massive knee failure i loved him. now it looks like everyone who signs him will waive him.

tp2021
01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
One of the teams in the NW division should care more about doing that to Portland than any other team. Let Denver pick up Miles on a 10 day contract while Carmelo is out with his hand fracture. Play Miles 3-4 minutes for a couple games and let the 10 day expire.

+10

Biggems
01-08-2009, 11:38 PM
i dont care if we even use him. I just want to ruin Portland's salary cap situation.......

Biggems
01-08-2009, 11:43 PM
oops, i didnt see the other thread about this topic.....maybe the mods can move my thread into the original one.....

sorry about that folks.

Bender
01-08-2009, 11:55 PM
actually this is probably the third thread today about it :lol

papashango
01-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Portland's young guys are about to get into the big contracts very quickly here - they're not going to have much cap space for future FAs.

If Miles gets his 10 games in, the main effect it will have is to put them well into the tax a year early.

As it is, this is a BS situation. Portland took on that contract, they should have to pay the piper. Just because they got some doctor to say that it was a career ending injury shouldn't clear them of their cap obligation. Miles is going to have trouble finding work because he isn't any good, not because of the injury.

Actually unless Hoopshype is wrong the Blazers will be in great cap situation until 2011. They're going to have over 20 million dollars to spend in the 2010 big free agent draft class. All their big guys like Roy, Aldridge, Oden, Bayless, hell everyone is under contract until after 2010.

Sigz
01-09-2009, 12:37 AM
i dont care if we even use him. I just want to ruin Portland's salary cap situation.......

Ditty
01-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Sign Miles, and then offer him for Batum :D Blazers couldn`t resign their young stars if Miles`s money would be add to salary cup :) Very sneaky :)

very nice

K-State Spur
01-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Actually unless Hoopshype is wrong the Blazers will be in great cap situation until 2011. They're going to have over 20 million dollars to spend in the 2010 big free agent draft class. All their big guys like Roy, Aldridge, Oden, Bayless, hell everyone is under contract until after 2010.

actually, it's like 16 million, and that's only if they don't resign Webster - who would likely command half that on the open market.

Brutalis
01-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Strategically someone needs to sign him and burn Portland regardless. It's business.

Obstructed_View
01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Anybody with a roster spot that wants to compete with Paul Allen for future free agents should take a chance on Miles. The Blazers have a ton of talent and a lot of money to throw around. It would simply be stupid not to give yourself a competetive adavantage against a team that looks poised to be a western conference power over the next decade.

papashango
01-09-2009, 12:37 PM
actually, it's like 16 million, and that's only if they don't resign Webster - who would likely command half that on the open market.

I thought they already signed Webster this past offseason? And he'd command 8 million dollars? They'd let him walk if that was the case. I didn't even think he as a mid-level guy. He's not too far from Roger Mason. Actually he's not close to Mason.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Anybody with a roster spot that wants to compete with Paul Allen for future free agents should take a chance on Miles. The Blazers have a ton of talent and a lot of money to throw around. It would simply be stupid not to give yourself a competetive adavantage against a team that looks poised to be a western conference power over the next decade.

Exactly.

Seems like an easy call. Of course you can strike Portland off your future trade partner list, but you've probably made a few friends with other teams by making this move.

Obstructed_View
01-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Exactly.

Seems like an easy call. Of course you can strike Portland off your future trade partner list, but you've probably made a few friends with other teams by making this move.

NBA teams don't make trades that they don't think will help their team, so Portland isn't going to stop answering anyone's phone.

tav1
01-10-2009, 01:19 AM
The Griz resigned him tonight...

kace
01-10-2009, 07:00 AM
EDIT: i posted this http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3018075&posted=1#post3018075 in this other thread which seems more appropriate.