PDA

View Full Version : Miles only needs 2 more games to screw Portland's salary cap

DaDakota
01-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Wow - everyone thought he needed 8 more games but it turns out the preseason games count too...so now he only needs 2 more games to put his contract back on the books....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqXhbtNq_O79LbX_ljeImig5nYcB?slug=aw-milesblazers010709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Until now, Portland Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard had a secret it appears most of the NBA hadn’t taken the time to discover for itself: Darius Miles is on the brink of blowing up the Blazers’ salary-cap space.

Most of the NBA believed Miles still was eight regular-season games away from devastating the Blazers’ salary cap, but Yahoo! Sports learned on Wednesday that Miles is just two games away.

Teams had been under the impression that the league’s collective bargaining agreement demanded that Miles play 10 regular-season or postseason games for the $18 million – which is split evenly between this and next season – to return to the Blazers’ payroll.

All along, the Blazers knew exactly that the preseason games counted, but a league official said Wednesday night, “He wanted to keep it quiet.”

Apparently, no team had called the league for clarification on the rule that states the season is constituted by the “first day of training camp and ending immediately after the last game of the NBA Finals.”

The league office confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that the six preseason games that Miles played for the Boston Celtics counts toward the 10. Before the Memphis Grizzlies waived him on Tuesday night to avoid guaranteeing his contract for the rest of the season, Miles played two regular-season games that pushed him to eight total.

Any team in the NBA simply can sign Miles to a 10-day contract, play him twice and punch out one of the summer’s top free-agent destinations. The Blazers are a prime destination for free agents, and the cap space also made them a fierce competitor for sign-and-trade deals. If Miles returns to the salary cap, he also will push Portland into the luxury tax. That means every team under the tax would benefit with about $250,000 of revenue sharing from Portland.

Most NBA executives are reveling in the fact that clogging the Portland cap could be a way to slow the rapid rise of the franchise. Beyond that, there is a level of jealousy over the way that Portland’s owner, Paul Allen, buys up draft picks from poorer teams for his GM to use.

All in all, league executives have been rooting hard for Miles to play those 10 games after he missed two years with a knee injury that Portland and league doctors declared was career-ending.

“Someone is going to scoop him up and play him those two games now,” one Eastern Conference executive said when told the news on Wednesday night. “Portland is screwed.”

One West GM thinks the Denver Nuggets, who moved under the luxury tax threshold on Wednesday, will be motivated to sign Miles.

Another GM wondered whether the Blazers might pick Miles off waivers and just keep him on the bench, although it’s unlikely the NBA would allow that. Portland also has been collecting insurance money on Miles, and it just seems too unlikely that Allen and Pritchard would go to such an extreme. Nevertheless, the Blazers have an incredible amount to lose here.

When reached on Wednesday night, Jeff Weschler, Miles’ agent, said he suspected the rule clarification might be true but had yet to get a confirmation from the NBA.

“We’re not focused on that,” he said. “Our focus is on Darius getting back and playing ball again. Our focus is not trying to hurt the Blazers.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DD

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Rip City is about to get, well...ripped

IronMexican
01-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Do it Mitch!

tlongII
01-08-2009, 10:55 AM
This is just complete bullshit. Why the league would consider meaningless preseason games as counting is beyond my comprehension.

tlongII
01-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Unbeavable

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I guess a person who has the ability to play in preseason games really didnt have a career ending injury....

DaDakota
01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I hope the Rockets do it since the Blazers screwed us by trading up for Brandon Roy.

Come on Morey...get em !!

DD

bee01
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Portland has burnt Houston on draft day enough that I wouldn't mind burning that bridge with a flamethrower. Bring him in to H-Town!

JamStone
01-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Houston screwed themselves when they traded away Rudy Gay and still didn't get out of the first round since.

Dex
01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
This is just complete bullshit. Why the league would consider meaningless preseason games as counting is beyond my comprehension.

If that was stipulated in the terms of the deal originally, then it's hard to really argue it. I don't blame the Blazers for not bringing it up, but they can't be surprised it's getting called out.

Either way, it's the difference between 2 games and 10 games, and I still think he would've been picked up even for the 10. Personally, I'm wondering if the Spurs shouldn't give him a look now that they've opened up a roster spot.

AnotherArgie
01-08-2009, 02:12 PM
haha!

balli
01-08-2009, 03:03 PM
If that was stipulated in the terms of the deal originally, then it's hard to really argue it.
Seriously. I don't know why in the fuck you'd bitch about this tlong. Fortuna's smiled on your franchise more than any other in recent years... by far.

I hope somebody picks him up for only 2 games and then waives him, solely to fuck over the too lucky Blazers in the name of spite.

tlongII
01-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Seriously. I don't know why in the fuck you'd bitch about this tlong. Fortuna's smiled on your franchise more than any other in recent years... by far.

I hope somebody picks him up for only 2 games and then waives him, solely to fuck over the too lucky Blazers in the name of spite.

That is clearly the ONLY reason why a team would pick him up now. The dude can't play anymore. I would say to any team that picks him up..."What goes around, comes around!"

Kai
01-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Does this situation work only this year or can he play preseason games next year?

DaDakota
01-08-2009, 04:08 PM
That is clearly the ONLY reason why a team would pick him up now. The dude can't play anymore. I would say to any team that picks him up..."What goes around, comes around!"

Yeah that is EXACTLY why the Rockets should pick him up, since you guys bypassed us to get to Roy...

Payback.....time baby !!

Morey to Blazers GM...

"Well we have signed Miles, tell ya what though, you give us Bayless, or Outlaw for Head, and we will sit him all year to protect your cap."

And if the Blazers refuse, play Miles one game then call back.

Morey "Are you sure?"

:D

DD

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I hope the Rockets do it since the Blazers screwed us by trading up for Brandon Roy.

Portland had a higher pick to begin with. The Rockets screwed themselves by trading Rudy Gay.

DaDakota
01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Portland had a higher pick to begin with. The Rockets screwed themselves by trading Rudy Gay.

We had a deal in place for Roy.....with Minnesota contigent on Foye being there, Portland got wind and screwed it up for us...

And honestly, JVG screwed us by playing regulars against the Nuggets which stopped us from being above Minnesota anyway.

But, they did it.....and Battier is better than Rudy Gay at winning...how is Gay doing for Memphis? Are they winning?

DD

JamStone
01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Are you seriously going to argue you'd rather have Shane Battier than Rudy Gay?

balli
01-08-2009, 04:57 PM
But, they did it.....and Battier is better than Rudy Gay at winning...how is Gay doing for Memphis? Are they winning?
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6688/stupit11rs7.jpg

DaDakota
01-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Of course, for the Rockets Shane Battier is a perfect complimentary piece. He spaces the floor and plays good defense.

Only morons would just look at a stat sheet to consider basketball talent levels.

DD

balli
01-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Only morons would just look at a stat sheet to consider basketball talent levels.

DD
Nobody's looking at stat sheets, we're looking at skill sets. Don't be a dumb.

endrity
01-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Do it Darius, play 2 more games. Anything to prevent the wayyy too fast rise of the Blazers.

Armando
01-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Come on some team out there screw the Blazers over.

JamStone
01-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Of course, for the Rockets Shane Battier is a perfect complimentary piece. He spaces the floor and plays good defense.

DD

Now that it's beginning to be clearer and clearer that T-Mac is on his steep decline, you'd rather have Battier there as a primary perimeter scorer than Rudy Gay?

And, if Battier is such a perfect complimentary piece, why the hell did the Rockets acquire Ron Artest, who plays the same position and defensive role?

Armando
01-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Now that it's beginning to be clearer and clearer that T-Mac is on his steep decline, you'd rather have Battier there as a primary perimeter scorer than Rudy Gay?

And, if Battier is such a perfect complimentary piece, why the hell did the Rockets acquire Ron Artest, who plays the same position and defensive role?

Another Jerry West special

himat
01-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Shane Battier is solid. He is a leader, competitor, and great defender. The Rockets shouldn't have taken that over a rookie stud that could carry the franchise in the future. Battier is only a role player. A very great role player, but he is not a franchise player.

Indazone
01-08-2009, 10:02 PM

Actually, if I were Darius Miles I would be thinking "Cha-Ching".

Darius still has the right to refuse to play for another NBA team for two games. He knows that he'll never play again so here's what he should do.

Blackmail the Portland Trailblazers. How much is it worth ya for me not playing for another team? LOL Darius Miles walks away a rich man.

Matchman
01-08-2009, 11:06 PM

we cant wait for 5 years for Rudy Gay to develop and hes this good only because hes the leader of his team for the past few years and he can do whatever he wants.
On draft day people still question his knee and his work ethic. Work ethic is the most important part of the then JVG system.
another point to consider is that McGrady's back was starting to act up and he can no longer guard the best swingman of the opponent, hence the need for a kobe-stopper like battier.:toast

peskypesky
01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
we cant wait for 5 years for Rudy Gay to develop and hes this good only because hes the leader of his team for the past few years and he can do whatever he wants.
On draft day people still question his knee and his work ethic. Work ethic is the most important part of the then JVG system.
another point to consider is that McGrady's back was starting to act up and he can no longer guard the best swingman of the opponent, hence the need for a kobe-stopper like battier.:toast

you, my friend, are out of your mind.

SmellyFeet
01-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Delusional rocket fans arguing that battier>gay.

Lol.

Ditty
01-08-2009, 11:58 PM
this is messed up but its funny how they mite lose adlridge in a couple of years because there salary cap will be screwed up and at least 5 players on theat team will ask for more that 10 million a year :)

come to san antonio adridge

JamStone
01-09-2009, 12:02 AM

What the hell are you talking about? You can't wait for 5 years? For what?

You've made it through 4 and a half years with McGrady and he was supposedly a superstar when you got him. You can't wait for 5 years for what? For Rudy Gay to be good enough to help the Rockets to not get out of the first round? And with Ron Artest, Battier's role is lessened. Battier is not as indispensable with the acquisition of Artest.

You make no sense.

DaDakota
01-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Hey people, Gay was a risk, Battier was a proven commodity...it was a good trade.....

Gay is a better player overall, Battier makes your team better overall....

DD

timvp
01-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Hey people, Gay was a risk, Battier was a proven commodity...it was a good trade.....

DDI would take Gay over two Battiers.

Trainwreck2100
01-09-2009, 01:58 AM

DD

just admit that it was a gay trade for the rockets

JamStone
01-09-2009, 02:03 AM

DD

I wasn't necessarily saying the trade was horrible at the time. I understood what Houston was thinking even though I didn't think it was a good trade at the time either.

But, you said Battier "is" better at winning than Gay. That's why I asked if you were seriously arguing that Battier "is" better than Gay. I'm talking about right now. You would still take Battier over Gay "right now?" That's what you've been implying. Right now?

Those implications that you'd still take Battier over Gay right now is why you're delusional.

Indazone
01-09-2009, 03:53 AM
how did this thread get hijacked from Darius Miles screwing the Blazers cap into a debate about who's better Battier or Gay?

balli
01-09-2009, 04:30 AM
how did this thread get hijacked from Darius Miles screwing the Blazers cap into a debate about who's better Battier or Gay?

At some point DD proclaimed that Battier>Gay. What catalyzed his pontification I do not recall and cannot say, but obviously, he was not going to get away with that shit.

DaDakota
01-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Gay is a better talent than Battier, but he doesn't play defense.

Battier is more important to the Rockets because he is by far our best defender. I would love to have Rudy Gay on the Rockets, but with Rudy Gay, and without Battier, our team would be worse.

Battier doesn't take the ball out of MeMac's hands, and also Battier guards the tougher defensive assignment.....overall Battier fits the Rockets better, but Gay is the better player.

Make sense?

DD

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Gay is a better talent than Battier, but he doesn't play defense.

Battier is more important to the Rockets because he is by far our best defender. I would love to have Rudy Gay on the Rockets, but with Rudy Gay, and without Battier, our team would be worse.

Battier doesn't take the ball out of MeMac's hands, and also Battier guards the tougher defensive assignment.....overall Battier fits the Rockets better, but Gay is the better player.

Make sense?

DD

If Rockets had Gay they would have been able to trade Tmac and get someone better than Battier. And I know you'll probably respond that he might not have panned out if he were in the Rockets the last few years instead of Memphis, but here is where a lot of people would disagree with you, me included.

DaDakota
01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
We can all play what if games forever, but the Rockets made the right trade at the time.

Even JVG says that teams Battier plays for just win.....Memphis won 50 with him....since he left...well....

The guy is underated......he is just a winner, who brings everyone up.

DD