PDA

View Full Version : Alexander: Is One Of These Guys A Future Spur?

duncan228
01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Is one of these guys a future Spur? (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/spursworld/2009/01/is-one-of-these-guys-a-future.html)
By Joe Alexander

One of our readers, Rick from LA, asked: "Are there any free agents the Spurs could pick up?"

That seemed like a good question to instigate a little Web searching. We started out with Draft Express (www.draftexpress.com) for some expert insight.

A little digging leads to their rankings of potential call-ups. I skipped the players who were strictly guards, since the Spurs appear to have enough bodies in that area right now. From there I looked to see if there were any candidates currently in the D-League.

That leaves us with six guys who could end up on an NBA roster - maybe the Spurs - who might be worth remembering.

RICHARD HENDRIX, 6-8, PF
Averaging 13.4 points and 11.6 rebounds in five games for the Dakota Wizards. Had a double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds on Friday in a victory over the Los Angeles D-Fenders. A side note, the Wizards are led in scoring by former Spur Blake Ahearn.

CHRIS RICHARD, 6-9, PF
Averaging 12.4 points and a team-high 8.7 rebounds for the Tulsa 66ers. In his last two games, he had 20 points and nine rebounds in a loss to Reno and 20 points and six rebounds against Erie.

COURTNEY SIMS, 6-11, C/PF
Leads the Iowa Energy with 22.8 points and 12.7 rebounds per game. Has had a double-double in 10 out of 13 games this season. Has scored at least 21 points in four of his last five games.

GARY FORBES, 6-7, SG/SF
Averages 17.5 points and 5.2 rebounds for the Sioux Falls Skyforce. This is the first real outside shooter to make the list. He was 6 of 11 from 3-point range on Monday in a 115-108 victory over Albuquerque. He has hit three or more 3-pointers in 7 of 17 games this season and is 39 of 86 from 3-point range overall (45.3 percent).

DERRICK BYARS, 6-7, PF
Averages 16.8 points and 4.5 rebounds for the Bakersfield Jam. Another shooter - he made at least two 3-pointers in 10 of this last 12 games. He has scored at least 21 points in six of his last seven games.

LANCE ALLRED, 6-11, C
The biggest guy on our list averages 14.6 points and 8.9 rebounds for the Iowa Stampede. He has five double-doubles this season including 23 points and 10 rebounds on Friday in a 100-77 victory over Bakersfield.

This list is mainly just for fun. The next time the Spurs sign a player, it will probably be somebody we don't expect or have never heard of.

dougp
01-08-2009, 03:58 PM
There's no way Hendrix, Richard or Byars would be considered PFs in the NBA, way too small.

EricB
01-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Richard doesn't seem like much of a rebounder.

Honestly to me, the D League is preety sparse to non existent on big man talent.

benefactor
01-08-2009, 04:04 PM
There's no way Hendrix, Richard or Byars would be considered PFs in the NBA, way too small.
I don't know about Byars or Richard...but Hendrix is a lot like Paul Millsap/Carl Landry in that he plays bigger than he is. With a little time he could be a decent dirty work PF off the bench.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Richard already has been considered a PF in the NBA. Hendrix has measurements similar to Udonis Haslem.

SenorSpur
01-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Hendrix signed with another team about a week ago. I don't remember who it was and am too lazy to look it up.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Hendrix played for Dakota yesterday.

benefactor
01-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Hendrix signed with another team about a week ago. I don't remember who it was and am too lazy to look it up.
He was waived from the Warriors and has been playing with Dakota ever since. He wasn't a chucker, so Nellie let him go.

phyzik
01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
I like Courtney's play. I wouldnt mind at all if the Spurs called him up for at least a 10-day to see if he can offer anything. He currently has an efficiency rating of +29 in the NBDL, not bad at all.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Sims would be someone I'd love for the Spurs to give a chance for a roster spot.

Austin_Toros
01-08-2009, 04:32 PM
many of the players listed probably do not have enough talent to play in the NBA. sims looks to be the best of them.
hopefully we will get someone else.

Austin_Toros
01-08-2009, 04:49 PM
who doesn't anybody mention James White or James Mays?
People mention these shmoes like Byars, but Mays and White (among others) don't get any love?

mrspurs
01-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Richard doesn't seem like much of a rebounder.

Honestly to me, the D League is preety sparse to non existent on big man talent.

Agreed. If those bigs didnt have the D-league to play in. They wouldnt be part of the NBA.

vander
01-08-2009, 05:48 PM

as is the NBA

nkdlunch
01-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Sims looks solid

HarlemHeat37
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
there are a lot of guys currently on NBA rosters that wouldn't look great on D-league rosters neither..the NBA is full of guys that specialize at ONE specific thing..shooters, rebounders, post defenders, perimeter defenders..

the D-League definitely has potential for us to find a player that can specialize at rebounding or shot blocking, which is all we need..

mountainballer
01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
from all the listed players I could see Hendrix fit with the Spurs.

YODA
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I cant see a D league player being the answer. I hoping there is a trade in the make. There is alot of talking going on in the league right now, and we do have a little bit to offer.

On another note,,,Anyone know how our Ninja turtle Splinter is doing over seas?

Manufan909
01-08-2009, 06:29 PM
I don't know about Byars or Richard...but Hendrix is a lot like Paul Millsap/Carl Landry in that he plays bigger than he is. With a little time he could be a decent dirty work PF off the bench.

Can he clog the lane and protect the rim?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-08-2009, 06:30 PM
No way in hell Derrick Byars is a PF. Hell, some even thought of him as a shooting guard during the draft.

DAF86
01-08-2009, 06:31 PM
What can we loose if we sign Sims?

Hemotivo
01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
What can we loose if we sign Sims?

money :toast

benefactor
01-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Can he clog the lane and protect the rim?
He is a good rebounder and has pretty good size for his height. Workouts he had with Golden State said he had some decent shot blocking ability also. Knowing our need for these things, I wouldn't mind seeing him suit up for a few games to see how he fits.

tomtom
01-08-2009, 07:17 PM
10 days on sims wouldnt seem like a bad option

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 07:34 PM
who doesn't anybody mention James White or James Mays?
People mention these shmoes like Byars, but Mays and White (among others) don't get any love?I don't know where Mays is right now. He hasn't been playing for the 14ers.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 07:40 PM
No way in hell Derrick Byars is a PF. Hell, some even thought of him as a shooting guard during the draft.True enough. He's burned Hairston a couple of times in the first half of tonight's game.

Bruno
01-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Mays is out for the season with a knee injury.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks Bruno. I didn't hear anything about it during the webcast, but I had the sound off a lot.

Bruno
01-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I read it on the D-League courtside blog.

And after checking, it isn't a knee injury but a torn achilles.

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700030052&#msg5700416758

m33p0
01-08-2009, 08:01 PM
unless 228's name is Rick, i think there's another Spurs fan in LA. :)

duncan228
01-08-2009, 08:06 PM
unless 228's name is Rick, i think there's another Spurs fan in LA. :)

:lol There's a few of us here. I wear Duncan/Spurs gear a lot and people have introduced themselves to me as fellow Spurs fans. Pretty cool here in the land of purple and gold.

(I'm actually in Orange County, not LA).

Udokafan05
01-08-2009, 09:06 PM
How can Hendrix be an option when he cant be leading scorer on team led by Blake Ahearn?

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 09:16 PM
How can Hendrix be an option when he cant be leading scorer on team led by Blake Ahearn?Because he's not a scorer.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2009, 09:17 PM
If James White has picked up a jump shot then he could answer our problems. e's still athletic as hell.He looked very quick in the earlier game today. Didn't pay much attention to his D but he was blowing by defenders regularly.

HarlemHeat37
01-08-2009, 09:28 PM
well White is one of the most athletic guys you'll find, but he didn't fit with this team at the time..VERY low basketball IQ, no jump shot..

Bartleby
01-08-2009, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if White gets a call up from somebody. His shooting has been really solid this year and over the last four games he scored 25, 31, 31 and 33 points.

Biggems
01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I say we get rid of Vaughn and bring in Sims and Hendrix.

Austin_Toros
01-08-2009, 10:30 PM
I read it on the D-League courtside blog.

And after checking, it isn't a knee injury but a torn achilles.

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700030052&#msg5700416758

ah ok. thanks

I say we get rid of Vaughn and bring in Sims and Hendrix.

agreed. vaughn is almost useless

loveforthegame
01-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I'd like the Spurs to look at Hendrix or Sims.

mountainballer
01-09-2009, 08:42 AM
How can Hendrix be an option when he cant be leading scorer on team led by Blake Ahearn?

well, he's second in the d-league in rebounding and last time I checked Spurs did have some needs in this area.
(btw. per 48 minutes Hendrix pulls down 2.4 more rebounds than Sims)

edit: just checked his numbers from the pre draft tests. he's undersized (6'6 3/4 without shoes), but his wingspan and standing reach are impressive (7'3'', 9'0''). but most surprising are his numbers from the lane agility test and the sprint. Hendrix is labeled a bit slow, but especially the lane agility test was outstanding. no other 250 pounder has ever posted a faster time in that test. (10.62 sec.)

MoSpur
01-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Robert Horry

benefactor
01-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Robert Horry
You forgot the sarcasm smiley....

duncan228
01-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Showcase winds down with D-Leaguers waiting for NBA call (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/art_garcia/01/08/dleague.20090108/)
By Art Garcia, NBA.com

OREM, Utah -- The chatter from NBA types this week is that Courtney Sims is about to join their league. One predicted no later than Saturday.

Mission accomplished. Well, almost.

"You just never know in this business," the Iowa Energy center said. "The NBA is a tough business to break into. There a lot of people in the D-League playing well, but there are so few spots. People don't realize that.

"So I just go out every game and play hard. I can just control what I can control and hopefully the chips fall in my favor."

Teams in search of a skilled big man would be hard pressed to find a more polished NBA Development League product than the 6-foot-11, 230-pound Sims. He's a willing rebounder with an active body and 18-foot range.

Sims' attitude also grades high. One NBA insider at the D-League Showcase here called the Michigan product a "throwback," noting his straightforward approach and obvious work ethic. Sims doesn't invite extra attention. He lets his game do the talking.

Not surprisingly, Sims patterns his game after no-nonsense forwards such as San Antonio's Tim Duncan and New Orleans' David West. Sims grew up following Duncan and has taken part in the Hornets' training camp.

"I try to incorporate the parts of their game they've used to make themselves All-Stars," Sims said. "I watch their demeanor on the court, their attitude, some of their moves and their footwork. Anything in their game, I try to put into mine."

Players aren't the only ones working on their games at the Showcase. Anaheim coach Sam Vincent is doing his thing, and he doesn't even have to. Fired after last season by the Charlotte Bobcats, Vincent still has two years of contract money coming his way.

Vincent could have gone the announcer route or perhaps found an assistant job on an NBA bench. Instead, he chose to return to the D-League. He previously coached with Fort Worth and Mobile, where he won a title in 2003.

"I very much could have stayed at home this year," he said. "The final decision for me is I enjoy transferring whatever knowledge, skills, information that I've been fortunate enough to learn from coaches and players onto other guys.

"I felt this was an opportunity to keep on coaching and keep on growing, and work with some guys who are trying to get to the next level."

Whether Sims or Vincent moves to the next level, they're the reason the Showcase exists. The fifth-annual event concluded Thursday. D-League president Dan Reed pronounced it a success.

"We measure that in terms of the talent level on the floor, and terms of the enthusiasm from NBA scouts and GMs that are here," Reed said. "We had a call-up on the first day [Jermareo Davidson to Golden State] and I think we're going to have a lot more."

Reed added that the Showcase has "morphed from more than just a basketball event." The D-League and its sponsors unveiled a refurbished learning center, partnered with Habitat for Humanity to build a home for a Provo family and conducted a Read to Achieve event for children at the McKay Events Center.

Reed, the rest of the D-League staff and the advisory panel of NBA reps soon will begin discussions on the sixth-annual Showcase. Not only does a location need to be finalized, but a move to a tournament format may be in the works. Each of the 16 teams played twice this year over the four days.

This year, the Showcase was rescheduled to coincide with the start of the period when 10-day contracts can be signed. And Sims may be inking one any day now. He seemingly nailed the audition in front of the 76 NBA player personnel representatives from all 30 teams, averaging 21.5 points, 12 rebounds and 2.5 blocks.

Somehow, Sims wasn't completely satisfied.

"The only negative is that we lost the first game," he said. "I just want to make sure that we win. That also looks good on NBA resumes, when you're performing well and your teams are winning."

Sounds like he's ready.

xellos88330
01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
How would you guys rate Sims' basketball IQ on a scale of 1-10? 10 being the best.

I am also wondering what kind of a passer he is.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Smush Parker just got called up.

To China.

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2009, 02:32 PM
the guy models his game after Duncan..it's fate..