PDA

View Full Version : Better use those Macy giftcards

JudynTX
01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
:wow

NEW YORK (AP) -- Department-store operator Macy's Inc. said Thursday it will close 11 underperforming stores in nine states -- affecting 960 employees -- and lowered its forecast for the fourth quarter after one of the weakest holiday seasons in years.

Stores slated to close include locations in Los Angeles, West Palm Beach, Fla., Nashville, Tenn., and St. Louis, among others. Cincinnati-based Macy's Inc. says the closures will cost about $65 million, most of which will be booked in the 2008 fourth quarter.

Clearance sales at the stores begin next week.

"These closings are part of our normal-course process to prune underperforming locations each year in order to maintain a healthy portfolio of stores," said Macy's Chief Executive Terry J. Lundgren in a statement.

Employees at the stores that are closing may be considered for open positions at other Macy's stores, the company said.

Department-store operators have been among the harder-hit in the retail sector as consumers cut back amid the recession, hunting for bargains and trading down to discounters.

Macy's reported Thursday that its December sales at stores open at least a year, or same-store sales, fell 4 percent -- still not as bad as the 5.3 percent drop analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were expecting.

Total sales for the five-week period ended Jan. 3 fell 5 percent to $4.4 billion from $4.61 billion last year.

Same-store sales fell 7.5 percent during the combined November and December holiday period. Macy's said the holiday season ended with improving sales in the fourth and fifth weeks of December but that sales were sluggish before that.

The company said it marked items down sharply in the fourth quarter to gain sales and reduce its inventories, but that hurt its margins and led it to lower its profit forecast for the fourth quarter and full year.

Macy's now expects earnings of 90 cents to $1 per share in the fourth quarter, down from its previous guidance of $1.10 to $1.30 per share. Analysts expect earnings of $1.11 per share.

For the full year, the company now expects to earn $1.10 to $1.20 per share, down from its previous forecast of $1.30 to $1.50 per share. Analysts expect a profit of $1.35 per share.

link (http://http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Macys-will-shutter-11-stores-apf-14002867.html)

johnsmith
01-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Who the fuck has Macy's gift cards?

balli
01-08-2009, 05:27 PM
That what they get for buying out Marshall Field's in Chicago. I haven't spent a dime at Macy's since.

koriwhat
01-08-2009, 05:30 PM
i got a damn macy's gift card from my mother for xmas as well as a $10 whataburger card that never was activated so that shit's worthless. i went to macy's the other day to see what i might possibly be able to get there and let me tell ya there ain't shit there i want, not a damn thing, nothing, nada. that fuckin' place sucks! it's not even 1/5 the store solo-serv was back in the day and solo-serv was smaller too.

ashbeeigh
01-08-2009, 05:41 PM
The only reason I would go to macy's is if I had a shit ton of money and could buy the good clothes, like Michael Kors, INC, Ralph Lauren, etc. Otherwise it's no different then any other store. Oh, but I do like the housewares. Their Fiesta ware is cheaper then at Bed Bath & Beyond when they have their sales. Better buy up!

Thunder Dan
01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
they should trash that shitty parade

Richard Cranium
01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm glad I got a wal-mart gift card.

Jekka
01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
The only reason I would go to macy's is if I had a shit ton of money and could buy the good clothes, like Michael Kors, INC, Ralph Lauren, etc. Otherwise it's no different then any other store. Oh, but I do like the housewares. Their Fiesta ware is cheaper then at Bed Bath & Beyond when they have their sales. Better buy up!

Yeah, my first thought was, "Oooo Ralph Lauren bedding on clearance ...."

ashbeeigh
01-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah, my first thought was, "Oooo Ralph Lauren bedding on clearance ...."

:lol I was thinking more along the line of clothes, I recently redid everything household related. :td A while back, probably end of summer, I bought a $75 Michael Kors shirt for like $25 and some other things that ended up costing me a little over $100.

I reread the article though, and it says:

Stores slated to close include locations in Los Angeles, West Palm Beach, Fla., Nashville, Tenn., and St. Louis, among others. Cincinnati-based Macy's Inc. says the closures will cost about $65 million, most of which will be booked in the 2008 fourth quarter.

Clearance sales at the stores begin next week.

So unless we're anywhere near the ones closing we're SOL for any of the sale events.

PM5K
01-08-2009, 06:48 PM
I liked Foleys better...

mrsmaalox
01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I never really cared for Foley's or Macy's. I was born and raised a Dillard's girl! :toast

marini martini
01-09-2009, 11:54 AM
:lol I recently redid everything household related. :td

Ash, how do you re-do "household" when you still live at your parents??? Is your mom a crummy decorator, & she gives you carte blanche with the family home? Or do you mean you re-did your bedroom from pink to sage?
:lmao

mrsmaalox
01-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Ash, how do you re-do "household" when you still live at your parents??? Is your mom a crummy decorator, & she gives you carte blanche with the family home? Or do you mean you re-did your bedroom from pink to sage?
:lmao

No she changed from teddy bears to the Jonas Bros!

marini martini
01-09-2009, 12:11 PM
No she changed from teddy bears to the Jonas Bros!:toast

Hey Ash, how do you display your pepper spray????:lol

lebomb
01-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Red Apple sales RULE!!! I can buy Perry Ellis, Kenneth Cole, Liz Claiborne shirts, pants and shoes for up to 75% off sometimes.................and I look smoove afterwards. :hat

ChumpDumper
01-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Macy's isn't bad. Seeing as the company on the whole is still profitable, I'm not going to worry about the subsidized Domain location closing anytime soon.