PDA

View Full Version : Scholarships and such

tp2021
01-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Does anybody know of a good scholarship database besides FastWeb? A lot of ST posters seem to know a lot more about this kind of stuff than I do, and I could use all the help I can get. Hopefully, someone else finds out something helpful too :)

Heath Ledger
01-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Yes it's called http://www.google.com best database money can buy.

Jekka
01-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Yes it's called http://www.google.com best database money can buy.

Ditto on Google. Use very specific search terms and make a list of all of the attributes for which you would qualify. In addition to ethnicity, major, sports/club involvement, you'll want information like:

- companies you or your parents are affiliated with
- professional organizations affiliated with your major
- have you been out of school for any length of time (there is lots of $ if you have)
- are you adopted? have you ever been in the state foster care system?
- do you have any Native American/tribal enrollment eligibility? (many states fully cover tuition for people with tribal enrollment)

Also, are you already at the school for which you need the scholarships, or are you going in the future? You'll want to search the school's site for any available resources - many can be found on the individual department sites in addition to the FA pages. And you'll also want to talk to a financial aid counselor and/or department advisor - those people know all of the ins and outs of the school, professional orgs, nonprofit/scholarship orgs, etc. This may require phone calls and emails to set up appointments, but being there in person is worth it. I just got an extra $5000 added to my scholarship by going and talking to the advisor.

Also, I don't know where in your education you are, but if at any point you find the opportunity (or make the opportunity) to take a TA position, this will often pay a portion of tuition. Also, if you have TA experience and end up in grad school, you have a real edge on the GSI (graduate student instructor) positions that will usually pay a good portion of tuition and sometimes come with health insurance benefits, etc.

Good luck!