PDA

View Full Version : Best 3-point shooter?

raspsa
01-09-2009, 12:27 AM
If you had to select a Spur to attempt a last-second 3-point shot to win a game, who would it be? We all know Mason has the best % followed by Bonner. But you also have Ginobili, Finley, Bowen, etc..
I still like Finley because of his great shots over the years. Ginobili too. If mason continues to make pressure shot like he did against the Suns, he'll be right up there as well.

m33p0
01-09-2009, 12:58 AM
that is a very good question. so basically the spurs have mason, bonner, finley, ginobili and bowen.
bowen will be last on my list since he has taken the least amount of shots.
bonner, believe or not, second to last of my choices.
finley, third.

now for the first two options;
manu especially if he starts shooting like last year. otherwise, it's mason.
but having mason or manu take the last shot is already a good play in itself.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-09-2009, 01:03 AM
If mason continues to make pressure shot like he did against the Suns, he'll be right up there as well.

So would Duncan :bang

m33p0
01-09-2009, 01:06 AM
So would Duncan :bang
only in the playoffs, kid. only in the playoffs.

baseline bum
01-09-2009, 01:08 AM
I gotta go with Mason because he's got such a quick release and can pop the three off the dribble. Finley would be #2 for similar reasons.

ClingingMars
01-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Horry...oh wait.

probably Manu, I love Mason but Manu...is Manu.

-Mars

timvp
01-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Bowen. He's a high percentage shooter, especially in the playoffs. Obviously he's not going to create his own shot but an open look at a three to decide a playoff game? Bowen.

Bonner would be last on my list followed closely by Finley. In fact I'd much rather TP shoot a deciding three than either Bonner or Finley.

baseline bum
01-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Bowen. He's a high percentage shooter, especially in the playoffs. Obviously he's not going to create his own shot but an open look at a three to decide a playoff game? Bowen.

Bonner would be last on my list followed closely by Finley. In fact I'd much rather TP shoot a deciding three than either Bonner or Finley.

Bowen only makes sense if you can get that one shot in the corner. Otherwise, I'd want almost anyone else but Bonner putting that shot up.

Brutalis
01-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Manu or Bowen, then Mason

timvp
01-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Bowen only makes sense if you can get that one shot in the corner. Otherwise, I'd want almost anyone else but Bonner putting that shot up.Yeah I'm talking Bowen open in the corner. Although I do remember a somewhat large three he hit on the arc during Game 7 of the Finals . . .

anakha
01-09-2009, 01:12 AM
So many options - what a nice problem to have. :lol

baseline bum
01-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Yeah I'm talking Bowen open in the corner. Although I do remember a somewhat large three he hit on the arc during Game 7 of the Finals . . .

No Spurs fan will ever forget that shot, but I'm not exactly looking for Pop to draw up another three for Tim either after one shot from an area he's not comfortable at. :lol

m33p0
01-09-2009, 01:20 AM
mason on the right corner, bowen on the left corner. manu on the right elbow and tim on the left. tony can take the straightaway 3. :lol

BlackSwordsMan
01-09-2009, 01:24 AM
sean elliott

Thompson
01-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Mason. Buzzer-beater vs. Suns, clutch 3 vs. Bucks that gave us a chance to win it, 3 vs. Clippers this year in L.A. One or two other clutch 3's I think. Next... probably Finley. Don't y'all remember the clutch 3 to send Spurs-Suns to the 1st overtime? I think he came up with end-of-game 3's a few other times last year also (Knicks, a few others).

Manu is not shooting well right now, Tony had to put in a clutch shot he missed only a couple games ago. Assuming he gets back to 100%, I might put him slightly ahead of Finley.

Order right now for me is Mason, Finley, Manu, Bowen, Parker, Bonner, Hill.

01-09-2009, 01:35 AM
order: ginobili, mason, finley, bowen, parker, duncan, bonner

bowen is actually pretty clutch, especially if he's open. and yes, i would take duncan over bonner. i don't believe bonner can make high pressure shots.

timvp
01-09-2009, 01:40 AM
No Spurs fan will ever forget that shot, but I'm not exactly looking for Pop to draw up another three for Tim either after one shot from an area he's not comfortable at. :lolWell, I'd take Tim for three before Bonner shooting a game-winner :lol

xtremesteven33
01-09-2009, 01:43 AM
1. Ginobili
2. Bowen
3. Finley
4. Mason
5. Parker

in that order

raspsa
01-09-2009, 01:46 AM
i don't believe bonner can make high pressure shots.
That would seem to be consensus, that Bonner will wilt under prressure. It may be unfair because I think he still has to be tested in this regard.. until he makes a few big shots, he'll never get the same respect w/c is only fair I guess. I think Bonner will surprise us during this year's playoffs and in a nice way too.

01-09-2009, 01:53 AM
i'm surprised it's not overwhelmingly ginobili. ginobili almost never shoots a game winner three because the opposing team is extra careful in covering him. im guessing the game winning three will almost always come out of a time out and will be a set play. finley probably shoots the best off of a screen followed by mason. but if ginobili is open at the 3 pt line you just don't say no.

anakha
01-09-2009, 01:55 AM
i'm surprised it's not overwhelmingly ginobili. ginobili almost never shoots a game winner three because the opposing team is extra careful in covering him. im guessing the game winning three will almost always come out of a time out and will be a set play. finley probably shoots the best off of a screen followed by mason. but if ginobili is open at the 3 pt line you just don't say no.

Mason is suprisingly good at shooting a three off his own dribble as well.

xellos88330
01-09-2009, 02:01 AM
I think it depends on how much time is left to set up a play. 1 second, I don't care who puts it up as long as its out of the hands in time. 2-3 seconds, probably Mason/Manu off of a Bonner screen. 4-10 seconds, Bonner screen for TP, penetration and kick out to Mason/Manu/Bowen/Finley in the corner for 3 or pass to Bonner after the flare.

pawe
01-09-2009, 02:02 AM
Mason if its 1 sec or less just because of his quick release.

If they can still run a play, Ill take Manu just for the guts and experience for big time situations.

m33p0
01-09-2009, 02:03 AM
whenever bowen takes a corner 3, i always expect it to go in.

xtremesteven33
01-09-2009, 02:12 AM
whenever bowen takes a corner 3, i always expect it to go in.

Bowen is a clutch shooter. Probably the most clutch player we have. I know ill get a lot of feedback for saying it but i think he is.

It sucks that hes limited offensively though.

JamStone
01-09-2009, 02:14 AM
I'd draw up a hand-off screen to Ginobili for a dribble drive that draws the defense and then after the defense collapses, kick it out to Tim Duncan near the top of the key for the three pointer.

xtremesteven33
01-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Its funny how this is asked cause i just finished watching the Game 7 between spurs/mavericks in 2006 on NBATV.

and after Manu made the infamous "Dirk foul" they had 20+ seconds to get a final shot off and the play was set up for Manu to drive it in on the left side and for Horry to stand in the corner to draw the defender either away from the basket or to to leave Horry open for him to get a good look. Manu had a good look at the basket but Horry was also left WIDE open to take a game winning 3!!

I just know Horry wouldve made that 3 to seal the series. I guess well never know :depressed

bigdog
01-09-2009, 02:43 AM
I would have the options as follows: Mason, Finley, Ginobili, Bonner, Parker, Bowen, Duncan.

m33p0
01-09-2009, 02:58 AM
Bowen is a clutch shooter. Probably the most clutch player we have. I know ill get a lot of feedback for saying it but i think he is.

It sucks that hes limited offensively though.i think we all secretly believe that.

the 3 he made in last year's suns series followed by a stare at the suns' bench was classic. :lol

phyzik
01-09-2009, 03:03 AM
If we are talking hypothetical and no one else knows of our newest sniper.....

Mr. Money Mason, he has won my support.

Going by percentages alone he is top 5 in 3P% AND 3PM.

BUT.... People are going to and have already started to realize he is a threat. Bottom line, Manu would be my first option, if he couldnt create a 3pt I'd have him pas to Mason Followed by Bowen in the corner if nothing else was available.

TDMVPDPOY
01-09-2009, 03:07 AM
i go with duncan cause they will dare him to shoot the 3 while leaving him uncontested...

barbacoataco
01-09-2009, 03:32 AM
If left wide open I would say Bowen is the most clutch. In a tight spot I think Ginobili is the most likely to pull off a miracle shot. Mason has been awesome this year but until he does it in the playoffs I think he's a notch below those two. Finley has also hit a lot of game winners, and missed some too.

timtonymanu
01-09-2009, 03:34 AM
1. Manu
2. Mason
3. Finley
4. Bowen
5. Parker
6. Duncan
7. Bonner (for obvious reasons that he might choke)

timvp
01-09-2009, 03:36 AM
Its funny how this is asked cause i just finished watching the Game 7 between spurs/mavericks in 2006 on NBATV.

and after Manu made the infamous "Dirk foul" they had 20+ seconds to get a final shot off and the play was set up for Manu to drive it in on the left side and for Horry to stand in the corner to draw the defender either away from the basket or to to leave Horry open for him to get a good look. Manu had a good look at the basket but Horry was also left WIDE open to take a game winning 3!!

I just know Horry wouldve made that 3 to seal the series. I guess well never know :depressed

Yeah I had that flashback when TP passed it to Mason in the corner against the Suns. Same play but TP made the pass . . .

Brazil
01-09-2009, 08:17 AM
2 cases:

open
order: bowen, mason, ginobili, finley, parker, duncan, bonner

a tough one
order: gino, mason, finley, parker, bonner, bowen, duncan

urunobili
01-09-2009, 08:22 AM
1) Mason
2) Finley
3) Bonner
4) Manu
5) Bowen

mrspurs
01-09-2009, 08:22 AM
We have plenty of 3 point shooters. As long as Timmy,Fab or Kurt isnt shooting the ball. It doesnt matter.

Brazil
01-09-2009, 08:34 AM
1) Mason
2) Finley
3) Bonner
4) Manu
5) Bowen

bonner>manu ??

I wouldn't be confident to see bonner take the winning 3 in a PO game.

Kori Ellis
01-09-2009, 09:03 AM
What's funny is that even in years when the Spurs three-point shooting dried up in the postseason, Bowen still shot a good percentage. He's weirdly a clutch playoff shooter.

However, I'd probably take Mason. Then Manu/Bowen/Finley/Tony/Tim/Bonner.

m33p0
01-09-2009, 09:25 AM
We have plenty of 3 point shooters. As long as Timmy,Fab or Kurt isnt shooting the ball. It doesnt matter.
MJGVAvhp450
yeah :rolleyes

Brazil
01-09-2009, 09:43 AM

It sucks that hes limited offensively though.

Bowen was actually one of the top offensive player when he played in France, ok French league sucks but Bowen is capable to contribute more offensively, this year it's not a big deal because we have more weapons but last year for instance, he could have contributed more.

Brazil
01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
my english sucks badly sometimes sorry

sonic21
01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
yeah bowen is clutch,
1 of his "clutchest" shoot

sE6WkyPDSF8

Illusionarist
01-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Manu is always Manu and a great 3 pointer. So without hesitation Manu is 1. Mason 2 and Tony 3. Definitely.

z0sa
01-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Manu/Mason/Finley/Bonner/Tim

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-09-2009, 12:00 PM

Game 5 in 2007, I was sitting 5 rows up from the corner and I knew that Bowen 3 was in the second he took it. The guy is clutch as can be but he needs a lot of daylight or it won't matter.

sa_butta
01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
1.Mason
2.Manu
3.Bowen
4.Bonner
5.Duncan

papashango
01-09-2009, 12:30 PM

I don't get it. I'd probably want Fin taking the shot behind Mason but that's about it. Have you not witnessed how many clutch 3's Fin has hit for us since he's been here? I'd probably say he's hit more than any other Spur. Off the top I can only think of the Knicks, Lakers and Suns game but there are more instances. Fin's clutch.

Spurs Brazil
01-09-2009, 03:41 PM

The shot at Phoenix in game 5 on 2007. That was the shot I celebrated more in 2007 run. It was about 2:00AM here in Brazil and I was going crazy

Yuixafun
01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Bowen Gino Mason Finley

In no particular order.

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Mason.

See sig.

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Horrible take dude.

Finley > Parker clutch 3's it's not even close!

Finley has saved Spurs ass multiple times. His 3 was just as big as Tim's 3 vs PHX last year in game 1.

Other than that Finals series against CLE in 2007, TP does not make 3's.

superbigtime
01-09-2009, 04:17 PM
1. Mason has had 2 game winners this season at Clippers and at PHX, and had a very clutch shot against Milwaukee even though we lost (ugh).
2. Finley has had clutch 3s for his entire career and many for the Spurs.
3. Bowen from corner
4. Manu (remember the game winning shot from Tony in the Phila game...until Manu gets more reliable I'm keeping him at this position)
5. Tony. Maybe he should even go ahead of Manu.
6. Tim
7. Bonner

All these guys are clutch though with the exception of Bonner, and I have a feeling he will have his chance to be a hero too.

Spursone
01-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I would go with olde faithful himself: Bruce Bowen.