PDA

View Full Version : Farias: Southside Sports: Here Come The Spurs

duncan228
01-09-2009, 02:34 AM
Southside Sports: Here come the Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Southside_Sports_Here_come_the_Spurs.html)
By Gabe Farias - Express-News columnist

This is a very good San Antonio Spurs basketball team.

It shocks me that this is a four-time NBA champion continues to play great and still flies under the radar.

If this franchise were located in Boston, New York or Los Angeles, they would be considered one of the greatest dynasties in modern sport history.

But in small market San Antonio, this is just another decent organization that can't seem to get over the dynasty hump.

This year, I am feeling pretty good about the San Antonio Spurs earning its fifth championship.

At 27-5, the Los Angeles Lakers are the darlings of the Western Conference.

At 29-6, the defending champion Boston Celtics are also impressive.

Even the Cleveland Cavaliers and their gaudy 27-6 record get more play than the Spurs.

But sitting at 22-11, with the second best record in the Western Conference, is the perfect spot to be for the Spurs.

Depth, health, confidence and swagger are all facets that put together the most complete team in the NBA. Throw in the fact that the NBA Finals will take place in an odd number year (2009), and I think we have the makings for another special season.

Tim Duncan is playing as good as he has played in a long time. Duncan is averaging just less than 21 points and more than 10 rebounds per game.

When both Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili were out due to injuries, Duncan kept this team together.

Throw in a now healthy Manu Ginobili, along with Tony Parker, and the Spurs bring to the table the most talented three superstar lineup in the game today.

Backup point guard George Hill and shooting guard/small forward Roger Mason have added a component to this team it has previously lacked.

With Hill, the Spurs have a couple of athletic guys who can create and make their own shot off of the dribble.

Throw in the fact that the Spurs still have the best coach in the NBA, and the loudest craziest fans in the league and, and we could very well be see the championship that finally earns the “dynasty” tag.

xtremesteven33
01-09-2009, 02:41 AM
:wow

crc21209
01-09-2009, 03:22 AM
WOW. I'm in shock. lol

anakha
01-09-2009, 05:14 AM
'loudest craziest fans in the league'?

Maybe on SpursTalk, but the live crowds over the past few years say otherwise. :p:

benefactor
01-09-2009, 06:29 AM
'loudest craziest fans in the league'?

Maybe on SpursTalk, but the live crowds over the past few years say otherwise. :p:
Yeah...of all the games I have been to the only one I can remember being "loud and crazy" was game 6 against Phoenix in 2007.

mrspurs
01-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Kinda of late imo. We already are a dynasty. If you dont know, then your not a Sports Freak. Best team in any Sport over the last decade imo and in many(imo's). Our name alone makes other teams play better. Just ask Timmy.

MoSpur
01-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Gabe is a good guy. I support my South Side friend.

Dex
01-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Good article, but I think the 'loudest and craziest fans' finally tipped it over the homer line. Sometimes it seems like our crowd is asleep until the 4th quarter. I'm pretty sure we've been spoiled by success, but at least we've had the success to be spoiled by.

tonylongoriafan
01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
the spurs are moving to the southside?

tonylongoriafan
01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Gabe is a good guy. I support my South Side friend.

good guy = homer

SenorSpur
01-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Southside Sports: Here come the Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Southside_Sports_Here_come_the_Spurs.html)
By Gabe Farias - Express-News columnist

This is a very good San Antonio Spurs basketball team.

It shocks me that this is a four-time NBA champion continues to play great and still flies under the radar.

If this franchise were located in Boston, New York or Los Angeles, they would be considered one of the greatest dynasties in modern sport history.

But in small market San Antonio, this is just another decent organization that can't seem to get over the dynasty hump.

This year, I am feeling pretty good about the San Antonio Spurs earning its fifth championship.

At 27-5, the Los Angeles Lakers are the darlings of the Western Conference.

At 29-6, the defending champion Boston Celtics are also impressive.

Even the Cleveland Cavaliers and their gaudy 27-6 record get more play than the Spurs.

But sitting at 22-11, with the second best record in the Western Conference, is the perfect spot to be for the Spurs.

Depth, health, confidence and swagger are all facets that put together the most complete team in the NBA. Throw in the fact that the NBA Finals will take place in an odd number year (2009), and I think we have the makings for another special season.

Tim Duncan is playing as good as he has played in a long time. Duncan is averaging just less than 21 points and more than 10 rebounds per game.

When both Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili were out due to injuries, Duncan kept this team together.

Throw in a now healthy Manu Ginobili, along with Tony Parker, and the Spurs bring to the table the most talented three superstar lineup in the game today.

Backup point guard George Hill and shooting guard/small forward Roger Mason have added a component to this team it has previously lacked.

With Hill, the Spurs have a couple of athletic guys who can create and make their own shot off of the dribble.

Throw in the fact that the Spurs still have the best coach in the NBA, and the loudest craziest fans in the league and, and we could very well be see the championship that finally earns the “dynasty” tag.

Sometimes we forget that the Spurs actually do have the best coach and late-game strategist in the business. I'd put Pop against any other coach in the league.

Yuixafun
01-09-2009, 03:22 PM
This guy gets paid to write cotton candy like this?

The format, 4th grade senetence structure, everything makes me wrinkle my nose.

Complete offal.

mytespurs
01-09-2009, 07:25 PM
He's a homer but I'm a SA fan so while I liked what I read, I don't necessarily agree with all he had to say. I generally don't like homers in print or on the radio.....I like some objectivity because things aren't as bad or good as they are made out to be. :hat