PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger is pure comedy

Humble Billy Hayes
01-09-2009, 11:39 AM
A week ago he wrote a big ass article about how the Spurs would miss the playoffs. A few days later and now he's got a new team to piss on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Predictions-090107

4. Dallas will miss the playoffs

OK, time to try something brave: divining which of the eight teams competing for the seven final playoff spots out West will fall short.

All of the candidates have shown their warts. New Orleans is heavily dependent on one player and has no frontcourt depth. Utah's two best players have been hurt all season, and Boozer might not be back for a long time. Houston only wishes it could be as healthy as Utah, and one if its best players seems like he's tuning out. San Antonio is getting awfully long in the tooth and has a killer schedule the second half of the season. Denver won't have Anthony for a month and is hardly any deeper than New Orleans up front. The Suns aren't all on the same page and have major age issues. Portland is a lightweight on D, and its best player is a bit on the brittle side.

So why Dallas? It's simple -- we can't say anything went horribly wrong for them in the first 35 games. The Mavs have been reasonably healthy, have benefited from an unexpectedly strong performance from Terry and Jason Kidd, and aren't enduring any major dramas at the moment.

And even with everything more or less going right and most of the competition suffering form serious problems, they still can't pull away -- because basically, they just aren't that good. When the other top teams in the West lose, there's usually a good reason -- injuries, schedule, something. Compare that to the Mavs, who had all of their important players healthy and available in Memphis on Sunday and lost by 20. Their once-mighty offense is only 12th in efficiency, largely because only three guys can score -- in fact, their fourth-leading scorer, Kidd, averages only 8.4 points per game.

The bar in the West has been raised high enough that it likely will take 47 wins to get into the playoffs, and I just don't see Dallas getting there. The Mavericks aren't imposing on the court and lack the trade assets to get better. Maybe they'll get a reprieve thanks to another team's injuries, but it's equally likely that they'll be left in the dust by a few of their own. Handicapping the playoff race in the West is a fool's errand, but if I have to pick one team to fall short, it's this one.

SmellyFeet
01-09-2009, 12:04 PM
He got one thing right though. dallas are just not very good.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-09-2009, 12:06 PM
So why Dallas? It's simple -- we can't say anything went horribly wrong for them in the first 35 games. The Mavs have been reasonably healthy, have benefited from an unexpectedly strong performance from Terry and Jason Kidd, and aren't enduring any major dramas at the moment.

So the 2-7 start while they were trying to use the Princeton offense doesn't count as something that went horribly wrong? Hasn't Josh Howard been injured half the season? Isn't not having drama a good thing? They've been 20-6 since then, Hollinger is stupid. The 20-6 Mavs will be playing for the rest of the season.

They'll probably beat the Suns tonight (and if Shaq doesn't play they'll def beat the Suns), then Hollinger can write an article about why the Suns won't make the playoffs.

JamStone
01-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I like how his power rankings formula had the Milwaukee Bucks in the top 6-7 teams the previous few weeks (they're still a top 10 this week at 17-20). I like even more how he was trying to justify why they were that high despite a bad record.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I like how his power rankings formula had the Milwaukee Bucks in the top 6-7 teams the previous few weeks (they're still a top 10 this week at 17-20). I like even more how he was trying to justify why they were that high despite a bad record.

I like how his power rankings have the Mavs ahead of the Suns, the Mavs have a better record, and somehow the Suns will end the season w/ a better record.

Findog
01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
If I had to guess, based on the way things are playing out, the Rockets are now the most likely team to finish 9th. Barring major injuries, the Lakers will finish first. The Hornets and Spurs should grab the next two spots, and the NW division winner will be fourth. Basically you have seven teams vying for six spots, so some worthy team will miss out. It very well could be the Mavericks.

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
These guys count the Spurs out every season, then when they defy everyone during the regular season the critics are SILENT.

Then when the Spurs get booted in the WCF they say the Spurs era is over.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-09-2009, 12:42 PM
If I had to guess, based on the way things are playing out, the Rockets are now the most likely team to finish 9th. Barring major injuries, the Lakers will finish first. The Hornets and Spurs should grab the next two spots, and the NW division winner will be fourth. Basically you have seven teams vying for six spots, so some worthy team will miss out. It very well could be the Mavericks.

I didn't realize Houston was 22-15, you're right they could be the odd team out. If they aren't good when Yao is healthy, what's gonna happen after he has his 30 game injury?

Cry Havoc
01-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Teams I think might miss the playoffs:

Houston
Portland
Or (are you ready for this) Denver.

Yeah, I think the Nuggets might be on the outside looking in at the end. That supposedly strong defensive team is now giving up 100+ points per game. If they hit a skid, I see them collapsing down the stretch.

mystargtr34
01-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I think Utah will miss the playoffs. Deron has yet to show he is 100% after his injury and they are still relying on two 19 year old rookies to contribute for the rest of the season.

ManuTP9
01-09-2009, 08:15 PM
These guys count the Spurs out every season, then when they defy everyone during the regular season the critics are SILENT.

exactly.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-09-2009, 08:19 PM

Whenever the Spurs lose, ESPN calls them old
Whenever the Spurs win, ESPN calls them experienced.

Armando
01-09-2009, 08:42 PM
My pick to miss the playoffs is Houston. I think Dallas and Phoenix will barely hold on to the last 2 spots. Of course those teams will be jockeying to avoid the Lakers in the 1st round. And I hope the Suns avoid the Spurs as well.

Girasuck
01-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I think Utah will miss the playoffs. Deron has yet to show he is 100% after his injury and they are still relying on two 19 year old rookies to contribute for the rest of the season.

Could you please name those two 19 year old rookies that Utah is relying on? I'll help you out because it's obvious you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Utah has one rookie on it's roster. Kosta Koufos. So I ask again...who's the other 19 year old rookie Utah is relying on? Also I wouldn't say we're "relying" on Koufos. He rarely plays. We rely on Deron, Okur, Kirilenko, Korver, Millsap, Brewer, you know...guys that actually play and contribute on a regular basis. If we had to rely on Koufus, we'd be the worst team in the league right now.