PDA

View Full Version : I got Phished!

exstatic
02-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Didn't fall for it, though. I forwarded the email to PayPal, and they confirmed it was a scam artist. Pretty easy to tell, when the hotlink in the email message shows a paypal link, but if you mouse over it, it shows a completley different URL, one with an app that would store your paypal account ID and password if you went there. :wow

Be careful out there. This notification actually looked pretty good, and if I didn't KNOW that this kind of shit went on, I might have fallen for it. It was supposedly from PayPal, telling me that another email had been added to my account. I went to PayPal the old fashioned way, by typing their URL into my browser, checked my account, and found no new email address was added.

iminlakerland
02-28-2005, 01:28 AM
Yea a lot of this is going on lately.

Recently my dad recieved an email at work supposedly from washington mutual. Funny thing is my parents never provided the bank with an email address, and never use online banking.

Anywho it was saying that someone tried to log onto their account and what not. Had a link to click in order to confirm your account number and password. My dad decided to print out the email and show it to me. Everything seriously looked legit but i knew better took the email into the bank and sure enough it was a fraudelnt email.

Hope those bastards out there who try to steal peoples identities, bank account information are freaking prosecuted to the full extent!

Kori Ellis
02-28-2005, 01:30 AM
We get those emails from "Washington Mutual" all the time. We don't even accounts with Washington Mutual, so it's ineffective on us. :lol

The latest virus emails come from email address with @fbi.gov. People are getting pretty crafty.

iminlakerland
02-28-2005, 01:33 AM
Yea its crazy. You've got to be careful. My friend recently had her identity stolen fortunately she was able to catch it pretty quick before a lot of damage was done to her credit.

Luckily the person was caught in the act. It's scary how much damage these people can do to someone in such a short amount of time. I'm seriously afraid to toss any mail i get anymore without shredding it.

Smackie Chan
02-28-2005, 01:34 AM
The only E mails I open are from Pooh and 2pac

SpursWoman
02-28-2005, 01:46 AM
We get those emails from "Washington Mutual" all the time. We don't even accounts with Washington Mutual, so it's ineffective on us. :lol

I get tons of those.....

Oh, and [email protected] and [email protected]'ve forwarded them quite a few scam emails as well. Some of them have been uncanny.... :wow :wow

TastesLikeChicken
02-28-2005, 01:48 AM
I got 3 or 4 from an Ebay scammer just a few minutes ago

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-28-2005, 01:56 AM
My cousin got taken by one of those paypal scams, it was pretty crafty, the website was www.paypaI.com but the font made the I look like a l, and the guy cleaned him out, he got all his moneyback, but it was a big hassel

Useruser666
02-28-2005, 09:22 AM
I'll just stick to my new investments in Nigeria. Better safe than sorry!

Clandestino
02-28-2005, 10:13 AM
the ebay,"time to re-verify your account" one is always sent to me.. i get the wamu and paypal one a lot too...

yahoo is pretty good... the wamu fraud one is sent to the junk folder, but my legit e-mail from wamu is sent to my inbox...

Hook Dem
02-28-2005, 10:46 AM
I'll just stick to my new investments in Nigeria. Better safe than sorry!
:lmao :lmao