PDA

View Full Version : Grading the San Antonio Spurs

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 03:36 PM
NOTE: These grades are NOT intended to evaluate the Spurs' performance to date. Rather, these grades are an evaluation of the strength of their roster and overall ability in each given area. In short, this is more a reflection of where I think they'll be come playoff-time as opposed to what they've accomplished early on.

Front Court Offense: A- Tim Duncan in the post. Bonner knocking down the 3’s. And Kurt hits his mid-range shots.

Back Court Offense: A Tony, Manu, Finley, and now Mason and Hill. One of the best, if not THE best back court in the game.

Front Court Defense: B+ Tim is the only intimidating defensive presence, but he’s pretty damned good down there. Thomas is not a prolific shot blocker, but still a threat to some degree. Tim is the only exceptional rebounder, but the rest of the front court can hold their own.

Back Court Defense: A- Bowen is still as good a perimeter defender as there is in the game. Finley is solid defensively. Manu is more than solid. And the addition of George Hill gives the Spurs one more superior defender in the back court. The rest of the back court knows their role in a very sound team defense. They're not playing any near their defensive potential yet... but they'll get it together in the second half, as always.

Penetration: A+ The Spurs now have 3 players (Tony, Manu, and now Hill) who can slash through the lane and attack the basket. Tony may be the best in the business when it comes to this.

Outside Shooting: A+ #1 in the league in 3-point shooting, and plenty of guys who can knock down the mid-range shot with regularity (Tony, Tim, Manu, Finley, and even Kurt Thomas).

Post Offense: A- There is (still) no one more dangerous than Tim in the post. Not much post offense after Timmy, but his greatness is enough to earn the Spurs an “A-” in this category.

Coaching: A+ Who in the NBA is better at what he does than Greg Popovich? The assistant coaching staff is very accomplished as well.

Chemistry & Mental Toughness: A+ Is there a team with less drama or better chemistry in the locker room than the Spurs? I’m not in the locker room or on the team bus, so I can’t say this for certain, but… it certainly seems as though the Spurs are the very model of the word “team”, both on and off the court. As for mental toughness… the Spurs have been there too many times to be frightened or intimidated. What’s more, even the new guys seem to bring that same toughness to the court. George Hill has shown a great deal of fortitude by walking right into the NBA and acting like he belongs here – no fear. And Mason’s already shown a knack for knocking down big shots.

Overall: A The Spurs have no weaknesses. Sure, they could get stronger at Center, but there are no holes here. If the Spurs are healthy come playoff-time, there won’t be a team with a better chance to win it all in 09.

BlackSwordsMan
01-09-2009, 03:42 PM
defense D

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
B-

Still not anywhere close to where they need to be come playoff time.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 03:59 PM
defense D

I should clarify... these are NOT grades of their performance to date. These are grades of overall talent and ability.

If I were grading defensive performance for season to date... it would be a B- at best. But you've got Bruce Bowen playing significantly diminished minutes (to save him for the post-season), and new guys learning the system. Besides that... it's not unusual for the Spurs to be less than impressive defensively in the first half of the season.

They'll turn it on. They always do.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 04:01 PM
B-

Still not anywhere close to where they need to be come playoff time.

Again NOT a grade of performance to date. Rather, an evaluation of their roster. I'll go back and clarify that.

spursfaninla
01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Dude, you are being WAAAYY to generous on the defensive grades. Seriously. Our offense is carrying us.

Bruce is good but our D is currently mediocre. It is getting better, but bonner can only do so much, bruce has slowed down, and hill does not get enough minutes to help (he is prob. 2nd best back court defender on the team )

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Dude, you are being WAAAYY to generous on the defensive grades. Seriously. Our offense is carrying us.

Bruce is good but our D is currently mediocre. It is getting better, but bonner can only do so much, bruce has slowed down, and hill does not get enough minutes to help (he is prob. 2nd best back court defender on the team )

Please see "NOTE" added atop thread.

mexicanjunior
01-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I think you are banking on what they have done in the past a little too much in your grading. Their defense still needs alot of work and there is no guarantee it will be fixed come crunch time...

de Soto
01-09-2009, 04:27 PM
B- is about right. Not nearly enough to get the 5th. Lets get real folks, fans or not.:flag:

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 04:43 PM
B- is about right. Not nearly enough to get the 5th. Lets get real folks, fans or not.:flag:

So let me see if I've got this straight. In grading their roster - not their performance to date, but the strength of their roster... you would give the Spurs a "B-". Is that what you're telling me?

If you're talking about their performance so far... I might give them a B+, but I have no problem with your "B-" rating. However, if we're grading strength of roster... I don't think I'm the one that needs to get real here.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 04:47 PM
I think you are banking on what they have done in the past a little too much in your grading. Their defense still needs alot of work and there is no guarantee it will be fixed come crunch time...

Well if you want to what someone (or some team) is going to do, the best bet is to look at what they've done fairly recently (last year). This is the same cast that we had last year, with the exception of Mason and Hill, who have not weakened the defense.

They're not in a much different place defensively than where they were at this point last year. And I have a very hard time imagining that they won't at least be a "B+" defensive team when the playoffs roll around.

xellos88330
01-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't think anyone can really measure the Spurs in any system. Basically the grade system would be this.... The Good - The Bad - The Spurs.

The Spurs try to impose their defensive will on the game, and if that doesn't work, they adapt and change their style in mid game. I've seen it tons of times and the players will adapt therefore altering their stats and such.

de Soto
01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
So let me see if I've got this straight. In grading their roster - not their performance to date, but the strength of their roster...

Nonsense. The roster is no better than its performance.

mexicanjunior
01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
They're not in a much different place defensively than where they were at this point last year. And I have a very hard time imagining that they won't at least be a "B+" defensive team when the playoffs roll around.

That's not a good sign considering the level of opposition they have been playing in this early part of the season. If they play defense like this during the tougher parts of the upcoming schedule, they will really need to rely on their offense clicking on all cylinders to win. Also, I think it is kind of silly to be giving teams grades 35 games into the season and not taking their current level of play into account...

xellos88330
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Robert Horry said it best, "We are an ameoba, we just adapt and change shape."

beachwood
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM

I agree. Our defense and particularly Bowen is mediocre. We still have a ways to go, but I don't believe Bowen will get back to how he was in 05 or 07. That being said, he's still a good defender.

NRHector
01-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Robert Horry said it best, "We are an ameoba, we just adapt and change shape."speaking about robert horry did you know he owns "AJUA" a mexican restaurant in IH 10

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Nonsense. The roster is no better than its performance.

OK... so if the Spurs lose 3 in a row, that means this team sucks? After all, that would be their performance for 3 games.

If you were to judge all of the Spurs championships teams based on where they were at this point in the season, what would you have said then? I seriously doubt you would have called all of those teams "championship caliber" based on their first half performance. And yet... they were, as it turned out, better than their first half performance.

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
That's not a good sign considering the level of opposition they have been playing in this early part of the season. If they play defense like this during the tougher parts of the upcoming schedule, they will really need to rely on their offense clicking on all cylinders to win. Also, I think it is kind of silly to be giving teams grades 35 games into the season and not taking their current level of play into account...

Just one man's opinion. Based on the roster I see, that's where I think this team will be at playoff time.

And I'm not entirely failing to take current level of play into account. Where Mason, Hill, and Bonner are concerned... I really have little else to go on but their performance so far this year.

I'm not disregarding current level of play... I'm just don't think it's entirely reflective of where they'll be in 2-3 months, especially when it comes to defense (just as has been in the case in many other recent seasons).

For the record, if I were grading the Spurs so far this season, I'd say "B+". If I were grading their defense so far, I'd say "B-".

spursfaninla
01-09-2009, 06:55 PM
If you are talking about pure talent, then I find it hard to give us "grades," because talent is either potential or actualized; if actualized, it should correlate with performance.

If you are talking potential, then portland and several other younger teams are better.

Chieflion
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Someone just took my thread idea and made it better.

01-09-2009, 07:32 PM
A :toast:toast:toast:flag::flag::flag::clap:clap:cla p:clap:clap:owned:owned:danceclub:cheer:cheer:chee r

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2009, 10:45 PM
We're Ranked 5th Defensively, Despite The Injuries!!! Wow, What Team Are You Guys Watching?! We're Still Great Defensively..

btw, this Texas2Step guy is either a Spurs hater, or an idiot..probably the latter, because his analysis was horrible..

Sigz
01-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Homerish much?

Yorae
01-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't wanna make a new thread about it coz it doesn't seem worth it. But still it pisses me off. Fuck Hollinger. Checkout his latest power ranking (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerranking)

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I'll give my perspective..

Frontcourt offense: A..Duncan's the best post player in the NBA, and he has a versatile game..best passing big in the NBA(along with KG), his outside J is better than ever..Bonner is one of the best 3-point shooters in the NBA, not just for big men..he also has a nice ability to finish around the basket..not an explosive finisher or anything, but a reliable shooter from anywhere..Kurt Thomas makes the open mid-range J with regularity..

Backcourt offense: A..we have the best backcourt in the NBA..nothing else needs to be said..

Frontcourt defense: B-..Duncan is still one of the best defensive anchors in the NBA, but obviously our overall interior D is lacking, due to our undersized PF's..Kurt is still a solid man defender inside, but he doesn't block shots or intimidate inside..Bonner is an average defender that hustles, but can only do so much..I still give it a B- though, because the interior man D is still good..

Backcourt defense: B..Bowen is still one of the best, Manu is great at creating turnovers, Hill is a solid defender, and Mason is improving..our perimeter D only gets a B though, because of Tony and Finley..they're both liabilities on the defensive end, especially Finley..Mike gives effort on a semi-regular basis, but there's so much he can do..Tony has shown the ability to play good defense when he's focused, but he doesn't regularly IMO..he also lacks size, of course..

Team defense: B+..we're ranked 5th defensively, and improving..this ranking includes our bad start at the beginning of the season, and our injuries..the defense has been improving over the last month, and it should be back to the normal Spurs level with chemistry..

Penetration: C+..this is very dependent on Hill's confidence, and Manu's health..if Hill continues to feel confident and uses his skills more, combined with Manu's physical progression(as he's shown the past few games), this grade will go up..we should be better than a C+, but currently, we aren't..Manu looks better in the last few games though, but I'll give it more time to judge..Hill doesn't do it often enough..Mason doesn't have the ability to do it often, neither does Finley..TP is obviously one of the best though..

outside shooting: A+..there isn't a better outside shooting team than the Spurs..

coaching: A+..by far the best coach in the NBA..

chemistry: A-..we're still getting it together, it should be an A+ by the end of the year..

overall: B+..we should be an A- going into the playoffs, probably along with Boston and Orlando..but behind Cleveland and LA, who would be A's..

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-11-2009, 04:23 AM
Wow, thats a hell of a grading system, you must be a liberal!!

Actually, no, since you mentioned it. Far from it.

As for the rest of your comments. Dude... what team are you looking at?? Did you have a few too many and mistake the Spurs for the OKC Thunder or something?

Tim Duncan looks like he's a year or two away from being done???? Tim has been sharp this year, and as for the year-or-two away thing... I'll take that action. You name the terms!

As Pat Riley said last year, Tim Duncan is a finesse big man, cut from the Kareem mold. Guys like Kareem, and even Karl Malone, averaged 20 points a game and nearly 10 boards a game all the way through their 30's... ultimately playing into their 40's. THAT in all likelihood, is the kind of career arch we'll see from Tim Duncan. His style of play just lends itself extraordinarily well to longevity.

Again, you name the terms, and we'll do the bet!

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-11-2009, 04:28 AM
Penetration: C+..this is very dependent on Hill's confidence, and Manu's health..if Hill continues to feel confident and uses his skills more, combined with Manu's physical progression(as he's shown the past few games), this grade will go up..we should be better than a C+, but currently, we aren't..Manu looks better in the last few games though, but I'll give it more time to judge..Hill doesn't do it often enough..Mason doesn't have the ability to do it often, neither does Finley..TP is obviously one of the best though.

Hate to be contrary, but I think "C+" for penetration is WAY off. Many teams don't have more than one guy that can really get into the lane almost at will. Some teams don't have ONE such player.

The Spurs have 3, including the very best in the business with Tony Parker.

No, Mason and Finley don't drive to the basket. That's not their role. NO team has 5+ guys that can penetrate at will. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another team that has 3, as the Spurs do.

I think the Spurs are as strong as any team in the league in this category.

Johnny RIngo
01-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Overall: A The Spurs have no weaknesses. Sure, they could get stronger at Center, but there are no holes here. If the Spurs are healthy come playoff-time, there won’t be a team with a better chance to win it all in 09.

Rebounding? Points in the paint? The Spurs are far from invincible. There were times, this season, where they looked like a soft, jumpshooting team.

Tbiggums47
01-11-2009, 07:50 AM
NOTE: These grades are NOT intended to evaluate the Spurs' performance to date. Rather, these grades are an evaluation of the strength of their roster and overall ability in each given area. In short, this is more a reflection of where I think they'll be come playoff-time as opposed to what they've accomplished early on.

Front Court Offense: A- Tim Duncan in the post. Bonner knocking down the 3’s. And Kurt hits his mid-range shots.

Back Court Offense: A Tony, Manu, Finley, and now Mason and Hill. One of the best, if not THE best back court in the game.

Front Court Defense: B+ Tim is the only intimidating defensive presence, but he’s pretty damned good down there. Thomas is not a prolific shot blocker, but still a threat to some degree. Tim is the only exceptional rebounder, but the rest of the front court can hold their own.

Back Court Defense: A- Bowen is still as good a perimeter defender as there is in the game. Finley is solid defensively. Manu is more than solid. And the addition of George Hill gives the Spurs one more superior defender in the back court. The rest of the back court knows their role in a very sound team defense. They're not playing any near their defensive potential yet... but they'll get it together in the second half, as always.

Penetration: A+ The Spurs now have 3 players (Tony, Manu, and now Hill) who can slash through the lane and attack the basket. Tony may be the best in the business when it comes to this.

Outside Shooting: A+ #1 in the league in 3-point shooting, and plenty of guys who can knock down the mid-range shot with regularity (Tony, Tim, Manu, Finley, and even Kurt Thomas).

Post Offense: A- There is (still) no one more dangerous than Tim in the post. Not much post offense after Timmy, but his greatness is enough to earn the Spurs an “A-” in this category.

Coaching: A+ Who in the NBA is better at what he does than Greg Popovich? The assistant coaching staff is very accomplished as well.

Chemistry & Mental Toughness: A+ Is there a team with less drama or better chemistry in the locker room than the Spurs? I’m not in the locker room or on the team bus, so I can’t say this for certain, but… it certainly seems as though the Spurs are the very model of the word “team”, both on and off the court. As for mental toughness… the Spurs have been there too many times to be frightened or intimidated. What’s more, even the new guys seem to bring that same toughness to the court. George Hill has shown a great deal of fortitude by walking right into the NBA and acting like he belongs here – no fear. And Mason’s already shown a knack for knocking down big shots.

Dude. B- at best. Have you ever seen the way teams weave through the middle of the Spurs defense for layups? We need backside rebounding and shot blocking Badddddddly!!!!!:nope

mrspurs
01-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Always a decent view of the team Kent. Great work. Always nice to see others personal views and not just the so called Reporters Views. You get an A for effort. And an A+ for your time.