PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices

johnsmith
01-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Someone explain to me why when oil started going up from $33 a barrel and got all the way to $50, the gas stations were so quick to raise prices, but now that it has closed down every day this week and ended at $40, gas prices still went up last night?

WHAT THE FUCK?

clambake
01-09-2009, 05:06 PM
all it takes is to hear a cut in arab production.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Or fighting in the Gaza strip, or Russia's threatening to cut off Ukraine's natural gas supply.

johnsmith
01-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Or fighting in the Gaza strip, or Russia's threatening to cut off Ukraine's natural gas supply.

Those items led to the rise in oil, and the gas then followed. So now that oil is falling, why isn't gas?

Why are you making excuses for this shit?

ChumpDumper
01-09-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm not making excuses.

You asked for an explanation, I gave you two.

There are influences on the price of gas other than the price of oil.

Cry Havoc
01-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Those items led to the rise in oil, and the gas then followed. So now that oil is falling, why isn't gas?

Why are you making excuses for this shit?

I don't think he is. What he said sounded tongue-in-cheek.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Eh, it could be almost anything.

Personally I think they are out to get johnsmith.

Dex
01-09-2009, 05:53 PM
God hates us.

DarkReign
01-09-2009, 06:09 PM
God hates us.

http://ice.storm.net.nz/static/images/albumart/396.jpg

johnsmith
01-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm not making excuses.

You asked for an explanation, I gave you two.

There are influences on the price of gas other than the price of oil.

The two reasons you gave are what pushed oil prices up and then the gas followed.

So when the oil goes back down, why didn't the gas go with it? Your explanation doesn't tell me why the price of oil influences gas on the way up and not on the way down.

Explain it.

Wild Cobra
01-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Someone explain to me why when oil started going up from $33 a barrel and got all the way to $50, the gas stations were so quick to raise prices, but now that it has closed down every day this week and ended at $40, gas prices still went up last night?

WHAT THE FUCK?
I'll take a wild guess here.

Maybe congress enacted legislation that either cut tax breaks or increased taxes on oil related expenses that started at the beginning of this year.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2009, 11:10 PM
The two reasons you gave are what pushed oil prices up and then the gas followed.

So when the oil goes back down, why didn't the gas go with it? Your explanation doesn't tell me why the price of oil influences gas on the way up and not on the way down.

Explain it.Actually the price of gas went up before the increase in the price of oil could actually affect it, so the only plausible conclusion is they are out to get you.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2009, 11:11 PM
I'll take a wild guess here.

Maybe congress enacted legislation that either cut tax breaks or increased taxes on oil related expenses that started at the beginning of this year.Maybe you're full of shit.

That's not a guess.

ClingingMars
01-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Maybe you're full of shit.

That's not a guess.

LOL

his logic sounds reasonable. a factor other than the price of oil, for sure.

-Mars

ChumpDumper
01-10-2009, 12:55 AM
One would think at least a blog would have reported it.

Hasn't happened.

Nbadan
01-10-2009, 01:21 AM
...probably has more to do with the unpredictability in the market given the current conflict between Israel and Hamas....especially the increased chances of an attack to the ME petroleum industry...

fyatuk
01-10-2009, 06:43 AM

WHAT THE FUCK?

Gas prices are not wholly dependent on just the price of oil. There's a relatively fixed production due to restrictions on processing capacity, so any increase in demand increases the consumer cost in a capitalist system. That's why there are spikes during travel seasons. Also, gas prices normally increase during cold weather because production is shifter more towards heating oil, etc. Add in the effects of speculators betting on disasters striking harvesting capabilities, and there's a whole bunch of reasons gas prices might increase.

Heck, the government recently approved increasing the emergency stores of oil, which produced an upward impact on gas prices (at the time I believe it was more kept gas from falling as much as it would have).

johnsmith
01-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Actually the price of gas went up before the increase in the price of oil could actually affect it, so the only plausible conclusion is they are out to get you.

SO you don't know. THat's fine, neither do I.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I'd say it's essentially tied to the Israel-Hamas conflict and Russia-Europe issues going on.

Could also be pricing into things the fact we'll have an anti-oil man taking over the presidency in a little over a week...