PDA

View Full Version : Manu Hypotheticali...

BlackBellamy
01-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Ok, so I disagree with the occasional trade Manu thread that gets wildly and thoughtlessly posted on ST, so this is not an endorsement of shipping him off anywhere. That being said, Manu knows his role on the Spurs. He comes off the bench, runs our second team's offense, plays until Pop thinks he's out of gas and comes back in when we need a spark or to finish out. We don't usually need him as our number one threat, but he fills his role as best as any on the Spurs (save maybe the other two big 3 members). Still on a team that would give him more touches (starting minutes), he might average some nutty numbers. So the question is where do you think that Manu would thrive most outside of San Antonio? What roster (outside of us) might suit him better? You can relate this to Manu of recently or past Manu (or both), in response to the question (so, age aside). I love Manu and only ask this hypothetically out of bordom and slight curiosity.

m33p0
01-09-2009, 09:10 PM
any team with athletic guys that can run the floor with him. charlotte comes to mind.

BlackBellamy
01-09-2009, 09:14 PM
any team with athletic guys that can run the floor with him. charlotte comes to mind.

Charlotte would get loads better to be sure. I was thinking New Orleans would be so remarkably nasty with Manu, it wouldn't even be funny.

timvp
01-09-2009, 09:16 PM
He'd put up disgusting numbers under D'Antoni. Maybe something like 25/7/7.

That said, the Spurs are a perfect fit for Manu just like Manu is a perfect fit for the Spurs. I think last year proved that if you ask him to carry the load for 82 games that his energy reserves will be dry come the end of March.

urunobili
01-09-2009, 09:16 PM
hate to say it... the Mavs...

BlackBellamy
01-09-2009, 09:22 PM

That said, the Spurs are a perfect fit for Manu just like Manu is a perfect fit for the Spurs. I think last year proved that if you ask him to carry the load for 82 games that his energy reserves will be dry come the end of March.

First team that came to mind (and actually what sparked the thread) was me thinking what could have gotten the D'Antoni Suns (prior to the KT trade in particular) over the hump. Manu in the play-offs during the D'Antoni era in Phoenix was a sun setter to be sure. Ultimately, his X-factor status being given to the Suns might have delivered a trophy. I guess we will never know... thankfully.

xtremesteven33
01-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Orlando

BlackBellamy
01-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Orlando

Yikes! Scary thought.

AnotherArgie
01-09-2009, 09:53 PM
It depends of what you mean by "suits better for him". I mean, I think only Pop is a kind enough coach who worries about his players' careers and doesn't burn them down. Plus, the Spurs just win, and that's always been Manu's main concern. He would get mad in a team like Charllotte.

That said, the idea of him playing for D'Antoni's Suns is not even funny. A combo of Nash-Manu would have been disgusting for the rest of the league, imagine all the crazy passes, coming from two white bald players. LOL.

It's weird timvp mentions D'Antoni. For some reason I think NY will target Manu in 2010.

DAF86
01-09-2009, 09:59 PM

Tell me of a guard, with a little bit of talent, that wouldn't benefit from playing under D'antoni

DAF86
01-09-2009, 10:05 PM
It's weird timvp mentions D'Antoni. For some reason I think NY will target Manu in 2010.

If D'antoni stays as a head coach, it could be, he has said a lot of times that in his opinion Manu is an underrated superstar and if the Knicks sign James and put together a nice team, Manu could be there looking for more rings.

xtremesteven33
01-09-2009, 10:18 PM
If D'antoni stays as a head coach, it could be, he has said a lot of times that in his opinion Manu is an underrated superstar and if the Knicks sign James and put together a nice team, Manu could be there looking for more rings.

If it somehow would work out that way Id be happy for Manu. Playing next to Lebron and maybe Kidd or Nash would be sick.

But as a spurs fan first i want to see him retire in a spurs jersey.

tp2021
01-09-2009, 10:20 PM
I think Manu would play well (or even great) regardless of the team. He isn't a system player.

Udokafan05
01-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Okc

m33p0
01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Okc
nah. he'll be miserable in a losing team. he'd lose all his hair by the end of the season.

Chieflion
01-10-2009, 04:23 AM
The Hornets. Chris Paul + Manu Ginobili is a scary backcourt. I always thought the Spurs were limiting Ginobili's output.

phyzik
01-10-2009, 04:40 AM
I think he would have been discusting (in a good way) on the Golden State team that beat Dallas in the first round. I think he would have put them over the top if he was on that team with the way they played that year. They would have beat the Jazz and possibly the Spurs. (I hope I got that right, I've been drinking since 5pm)

Baron Davis, Steven Jackson, Manu Ginobilli combined with Nellie Ball?..... Are you fucking kidding me? SICK!!!

Chieflion
01-10-2009, 04:47 AM
I think he would have been discusting (in a good way) on the Golden State team that beat Dallas in the first round. I think he would have put them over the top if he was on that team with the way they played that year. They would have beat the Jazz and possibly the Spurs. (I hope I got that right, I've been drinking since 5pm)

Baron Davis, Steven Jackson, Manu Ginobilli combined with Nellie Ball?..... Are you fucking kidding me? SICK!!!

They had Jason Richardson that year. Sorry.

phyzik
01-10-2009, 04:54 AM
They had Jason Richardson that year. Sorry.

ummm... what?

this is a hypothetical discussion in case you didnt notice. what about Jason richardson?

Chieflion
01-10-2009, 04:56 AM
ummm... what?

this is a hypothetical discussion in case you didnt notice. what about Jason richardson?

They played the same position? You also need logic for hypothetical discussions.

phyzik
01-10-2009, 04:59 AM
They played the same position? You also need logic for hypothetical discussions.

so you are saying you would put Jason richardson in over Manu. Nevermind that, lets humor you.... Lets say you put Manu in as 6th man, are you saying he wouldnt contribute at all?

m33p0
01-10-2009, 05:02 AM
so you are saying you would put Jason richardson in over Manu. Nevermind that, lets humor you.... Lets say you put Manu in as 6th man, are you saying he wouldnt contribute at all?
i would probably trade steve nash and have manu run the offense. not the best of ideas but that would be one sick offense.

phyzik
01-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Im just trying to understand where you are coming from... the whole point of Hypothetical situations is that you can do whatever you want, it doesnt mean that the "trade Has to match" we are just saying what would happen if the guy was on such and such team...

Are you honestly saying that Manu couldnt compete with Jason richardson? or are you saying because Jason richardson is there that their is no possible way Manu could play.... Because that defeats the purpose of the "hypothetical"

xellos88330
01-10-2009, 05:09 AM
If Joe Johnson switches to start at SF, i could see the Hawks.

Chieflion
01-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Im just trying to understand where you are coming from... the whole point of Hypothetical situations is that you can do whatever you want, it doesnt mean that the "trade Has to match" we are just saying what would happen if the guy was on such and such team...

Are you honestly saying that Manu couldnt compete with Jason richardson? or are you saying because Jason richardson is there that their is no possible way Manu could play.... Because that defeats the purpose of the "hypothetical"

His minutes will go down, that does not help his production. That is all I am trying to say.

phyzik
01-10-2009, 05:17 AM
His minutes will go down, that does not help his production. That is all I am trying to say.

I can understand that but I still think with Manu there, even with Jason Richardson taking some minutes if they competed for it, Manu would get the nod. It still puts them over the top. See, in the nellie system he would probably go with a crazy lineup of Davis, Jackson, Manu, richardson and whoever else! It would be rediculous!

Its small ball at its greatest!

Chieflion
01-10-2009, 05:22 AM
I can understand that but I still think with Manu there, even with Jason Richardson taking some minutes if they competed for it, Manu would get the nod. It still puts them over the top. See, in the nellie system he would probably go with a crazy lineup of Davis, Jackson, Manu, richardson and whoever else! It would be rediculous!

Its small ball at its greatest!

Add Monta Ellis the mix and you get a team which allows 130 points per game while scoring 140 per game. Sounds like the ABA.

phyzik
01-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Add Monta Ellis the mix and you get a team which allows 130 points per game while scoring 140 per game. Sounds like the ABA.

thats not the point but Im glad you recognize they would still win, besides that I think you are seriously underestimating Manu's defensive game. You are backpedalling on your origional arguement that because they have Richardson Manu wouldnt help that team. If I read that first post of yours correctly, you are basically saying Manu wouldnt have helped at all because of the games Richardson had. I disagree. Manu on that team with that crew would have been a MAJOR addition. To say otherwise is just rediculous.

Chieflion
01-10-2009, 05:34 AM
thats not the point but Im glad you recognize they would still win, besides that I think you are seriously underestimating Manu's defensive game. You are backpedalling on your origional arguement that because they have Richardson Manu wouldnt help that team. If I read that first post of yours correctly, you are basically saying Manu wouldnt have helped at all because of the games Richardson had. I disagree. Manu on that team with that crew would have been a MAJOR addition. To say otherwise is just rediculous.

I am not saying that. It is just that year, the Warriors had 4 potential 20 point scorers every night, and somehow 3 of them can play the 2 guard. Ellis, Richardson and Jackson. There would be a logjam at the 2 guard spot.

mrspurs
01-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Kinda loss me with your nutty numbers gig.

SpursIndonesia
01-10-2009, 08:26 AM
If this summer the Hawks would have offered a sign and trade of Childress for Manu, i think both of teams would be better of today.

AnotherArgie
01-10-2009, 08:32 AM
If this summer the Hawks would have offered a sign and trade of Childress for Manu, i think both of teams would be better of today.

Why turn this in another "trade Manu" thread? That's just retarded.

tmtcsc
01-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Golden State anyone ? Can you imagine Manu in a Nellie offense ?

lotr1trekkie
01-10-2009, 10:31 AM
#1 Manu is a a "Winner." His success in Europe, on the national team and in the NBA makes him a rare breed. He doesn't want to play with stupid or selfish players. Just on ability he is a starter on every team in the NBA. He "accepts" being a sub here because he understands it makes the Spurs better and he is always there to finish games. On most other teams starting would be an ego thing or a contract issue to most players. He landed in the perfect place for his abilities and his intellect. The Spurs can't win every year but they do play the best team ball every year.

benefactor
01-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Cleveland. Mike Brown is an ex-Spurs guy and he would know how to use him and understand that he could not be run into the ground. Plus there is fact you would be pairing him with that Lebron guy.......

jack sommerset
01-10-2009, 10:47 AM
You Spew homers will have Mangoo on every freaken team averaging a triple double when its all said and done.

TMTTRIO
01-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I think Manu on the Denver Nuggets in '05 would've been pretty scary. I think he would also play well in Orlando and of course on D'Antoni's team since they've known each other since Manu was playing over there in the Euroleague. I also think on a team that plays little defense Manu could probably be a monster scoring wise and not be as tired. But of course Manu wants to win so that probably wouldn't work and the Spurs are the best choice for him. I've also thought about the Rockets and if you added him to a team with Yao, Artest, and his buddy Scola what they could do.

weebo
01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
just another "let's get rid of manu " thread....sick

temujin
01-10-2009, 12:48 PM
#1 Manu is a a "Winner." His success in Europe, on the national team and in the NBA makes him a rare breed. He doesn't want to play with stupid or selfish players. Just on ability he is a starter on every team in the NBA. He "accepts" being a sub here because he understands it makes the Spurs better and he is always there to finish games. On most other teams starting would be an ego thing or a contract issue to most players. He landed in the perfect place for his abilities and his intellect. The Spurs can't win every year but they do play the best team ball every year.

:clap:clap

He'll be a Spur as long as Popovich and Duncan are around.

Manufan909
01-10-2009, 03:36 PM
:clap:clap

He'll be a Spur as long as Popovich and Duncan are around.

Yep... That's why this is a WHAT IF thread, I think if he was on the Knicks right now he'd be scoring like crazy. Course, once he really gets healthy he could possibly go back to what he was doing last year(though his overall avg woud be affected by the 13ppg he is at right now).

Or, dare I say it, the Lakers. Imagine Kobe starting at sg, playing 30-35 min, Manu gets the rest, plus sneaks some minutes from whoever their pg is right now, and maybe a couple at sf too, if the matchup works. Imagine a lineup of Fish, Kobe, Manu, Pao, and Bynum to end games.:wow(and I hope everyone knows this comes from a huge KB hater, but I still respect his game)

BlackBellamy
01-10-2009, 04:59 PM
You Spew homers will have Mangoo on every freaken team averaging a triple double when its all said and done.

Well, homer or not selecting teams for Manu is kinda the whole point of this thread. You wouldn't want him on the Rockets? (scoff) Thanks for contributing.:rolleyes

BlackBellamy
01-10-2009, 05:02 PM

No...it isn't. You would do well in reading the first post on the thread.

rascal
01-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Ok, so I disagree with the occasional trade Manu thread that gets wildly and thoughtlessly posted on ST, so this is not an endorsement of shipping him off anywhere. That being said, Manu knows his role on the Spurs. He comes off the bench, runs our second team's offense, plays until Pop thinks he's out of gas and comes back in when we need a spark or to finish out. We don't usually need him as our number one threat, but he fills his role as best as any on the Spurs (save maybe the other two big 3 members). Still on a team that would give him more touches (starting minutes), he might average some nutty numbers. So the question is where do you think that Manu would thrive most outside of San Antonio? What roster (outside of us) might suit him better? You can relate this to Manu of recently or past Manu (or both), in response to the question (so, age aside). I love Manu and only ask this hypothetically out of bordom and slight curiosity.

Whats the point of this if your not even willing to consider trading him. Its pointless to discuss this before discussing trading him.

BlackBellamy
01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Whats the point of this if your not even willing to consider trading him. Its pointless to discuss this before discussing trading him.

You could apply this to Manu 05 or Manu 07 or whenever. Put him on a team which doesn't exist in the same sense anymore (D'Antoni Suns). I've already admitted that bordom was the main reason that the thread was started. I have no drive to trade Manu, but I am interested to see if anyone thinks he could get his rocks off better anywhere else (present or at any time within his career period thus far). It is pointless, it's just waxing mental floss. That's why it's hypothetical not realistic. Again, thank you so much for contributing.

BlackBellamy
01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Tell me of a guard, with a little bit of talent, that wouldn't benefit from playing under D'antoni

Stephan Marbury.

m33p0
01-10-2009, 08:11 PM
actually, no its not.

DAF86
01-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Stephan Marbury.

Are you sure?

BlackBellamy
01-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Are you sure?

Not 100%, but he doesn't seem like a really "coachable" player.

m33p0
01-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Are you sure?
D'Antoni didn't want to find out... TWICE. :downspin: