PDA

View Full Version : Is Monster Jam worth my time?

FearDaDuncaN_SA
01-10-2009, 04:44 AM
I've never been and I was wondering if any of you have?

Thoughts?

I mean, after reading this blog, I dont know if I should go. (Person wento to Monster Jam in some other state.)

San Antonio= Jan 10th and 11th

Who’s ready for some Monster Jam?

Um, yeah, apparently not me.

Saturday night I went to the US Bank Arena to take in the event. Something new for the new year and all. Monster Jam features big trucks with really big wheels racing one another and popping wheelies while running over and crushing old junker cars.

Now, part of the reason I wanted to attend Monster Jam is because I have something of a penchant for, shall we say, redneck sports. Bullriding, BMX freestyle (actually, almost anything freestyle), watercross, motorcross … I sincerely like all that stuff. It’s fun; it’s different; it’s weird. So I figured Monster Jam would fit comfortably in with those other sports. I expected the evening ahead would be supersized fun with more than a little Americana patriotism thrown in for good measure.

As I waited in line for my tickets, I began to sense that the crowd would be a little different than I originally expected. The place was swarming with young parents and their broods, dominated mostly by boys in the 4 – 8- year-old range. Some wore Boy Scout uniforms (is there a monster truck badge available?), some were acting out scenes from Star Wars (one very popular piece of merchandise for sale at the venue was a sparkly light up light saber – what light sabers have to do with monster trucks I am not certain), some were giddy with anticipation and some were already throwing tantrums.

Inside the arena was a madhouse – I’ve never seen that venue this full, so kudos to the promoters. I checked out the audience. In addition to the kiddie contingency, I noted lots of father-son bonding and more than a few Bengals fans (hey, they need something to cheer for, right?). Following a fairly tepid salute to our nation’s veterans and an uninspired rendition of the national anthem, it was right to the action.

A group of six trucks competed in the wheelie competition. Apparently fans know and root for trucks more than for the drivers and today’s competitors included: Bat Man, Donkey Kong, Brutus, Avenger (driven by a guy who goes by the name Mr. Excitement), Monster Mutt Dalmatian (the only truck driven by a woman, Candice Jolly), and the Grave Digger, the event headliner and obvious fan favorite.

In the wheelie competition, the big trucks with very big wheels drive very fast over a ramp and over old cars, frequently becoming air-born or at least lifting the front tires up off the ground. Kind of all looked the same to me, and after all the trucks had completed their wheelies, the winner was … Grave Digger.

There was a lag, a long, very long lag before any more competition was to be seen, and the announcers spent that time hanging out in the center of the track talking about launch, landing and how the condition of the track affected competition. Umm, hello? The track is a bunch of dirt you dropped into the center of a covered stadium. It’s protected from the elements and seems fairly benign. I’ve figured out by now that I’m not the target audience, but I don’t think the four – eight set cares about the condition of the so-called track either. Of course the ubiquitous T-shirt cannon made an appearance, and prizes were promised for the “wild and craziest fan” of Monster Jam.

Needless to say, I was not a winner. Sigh.

Also during this time, vendors hawked skies full of cotton candy and mountain ranges of sno cones. To five- year-olds. At 9 p.m. And the announcers hawked merchandise, from T-shirts to posters to programs and mysterious unnamed very special items too special to mention by name – go, now, run out and consume, they seemed to say. Although the ear protectors that looked like earmuffs with monster truck wheels on them were super cute. Unfortunately, I purchased standard issue earplugs for $1 from a vendor outside.

Head to head racing followed and after five very brief heats in which it was really hard to figure out who the winner was, Grave Digger was declared the winner. Surprise, surprise. I was beginning to get a WWE feeling here.

After another (no kidding) 25 minutes of banter with no monster truck action, intermission was called. Go buy merchandise! Now! I really felt the whole event was held to sell merchandise.

And I was bored to tears. I can’t imagine kids were fairing much better.

Despite the promise of a BMX freestyle exhibit sometime after the intermission, I decided to bail. I had a better plan for catching speed and excitement.

I stopped at Blockbuster and rented Death Race.

AlamoSpursFan
01-10-2009, 06:03 AM
Only if kids seats are still just 5 buuuuuuuuuuucks.

After another (no kidding) 25 minutes of banter with no monster truck action, intermission was called. Go buy merchandise! Now! I really felt the whole event was held to sell merchandise.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/AlamoSpursFan/owlridahjm9.gif

Frenzy
01-10-2009, 12:39 PM
I was never one to try it, now even more so. It seems like every event you go to they make more off you with selling food,drink,n crap than anything else. Ever go to the movies. 8$ tickets and like 20$ on food. I'm sure most people go for the experience. I doubt there are a lot are regulars....or are they =/

Whisky Dog
01-10-2009, 12:44 PM
About 9 years ago my cousin won tickets to a monster truck show on the radio and I went with him. It was cool for the first 5 to 10 minutes but after watching one truck smash old Buicks you pretty much got the entire experience. We left early, glad that the tickets were free.

EricB
01-10-2009, 01:12 PM
It was cool when i was 7. Now? Not so much.

PuttPutt
01-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Some of their events do suck & all they do is try to get you to buy their junk. But you need to look at who's going to be there. Bigger cities get better performers or the more popular vehicles. SA seems to have a pretty good line up. Most of the trucks below were in the Monster Jam "finals." Plus tickets aren't that bad of a price.

Vehicle Information
USHRA Monster Trucks including Grave Digger driven by Chad Tingler, Air Force Afterburner driven by Damon Bradshaw, Taz driven by Adam Anderson, El Toro Loco driven by Lupe Soza, Monster Mutt driven by Lee O'Donnell, Monster Mutt Dalmation driven by Candice Jolly, Batman driven by John Seasock, Raminator, Ramunition, Energy Activator, Sudden Impact, Predator, Pouncer, Superman, Black Stallion, and Iron Warrior. Subject to change without notice.

Ticket Prices
Total Access - $125 Adults and Kids
Gold Circle - $20
Mid Level - $10
Upper Level - $10 Adults / $5 Kids
All seats are $2 more the day of the show.

I'd go, but that's just me.

ashbeeigh
01-10-2009, 02:08 PM
I went with my dad just for shits and giggles like 12 years ago (that would make me like....12?) I just remember ear plugs and wearing a horrible outfit. So no. Not worth it.

pkbpkb81
01-10-2009, 02:17 PM
i had fun when i was a kid and my son is now 2 so ithainki will be takewing him in a few years

DannyT
01-10-2009, 04:09 PM
I missed last years eent so I went to the supercross at the dome a few weeks later....needless to say it blowed...the stunts were weak and there was no energy in the place...my kid was 4 and he was bored....so this year or late last year I bought tickets to this years monster jam...but the kid is five now and said he would rather stay home and play wii...but I will let you know how we like it...

Bender
01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm taking my kid tomorrow to the alamodome monster jam with 2 of his friends. it's his 11th birthday.

ordered 5 tickets online... after all the ripoff fees added on, came out to almost $30 a ticket.

DannyT
01-10-2009, 09:21 PM
yeah and Im already preped to be disappointed....I havent been to a show since back in the day when I was a kid and they had that stunt go wrong that ended up killing Spanky......

Slydragon
01-11-2009, 01:36 AM
yeah and Im already preped to be disappointed....I havent been to a show since back in the day when I was a kid and they had that stunt go wrong that ended up killing Spanky......

I was at that one, it was suppose to be a head on mid air collision but it was miss timed.

As for today it suck ass after they wet the floor. They started racing and it was fast with them almost flipping over at the turns. Crowd was into it, So they wet the track in between races and after that it was to slippery and they were all going slow because they basically had no control over the trucks and the crowd got out of it.

Freestyle suck also because most of the unknown trucks really don't want to flip there truck because unlike Digger who has major sponsors and can afford another truck shell when he flips it. They can't so they take freestyle light.

jcrod
01-11-2009, 04:12 AM
I took my son tonight. It was also my first time. It was ok, we were right up front, my wife got the tickets, but i would think sitting up higher would be best. All in all he liked it, but yeah Grave Digger was obiviously prepped to win every one.

Slydragon
01-11-2009, 05:02 AM
I took my son tonight. It was also my first time. It was ok, we were right up front, my wife got the tickets, but i would think sitting up higher would be best. All in all he liked it, but yeah Grave Digger was obiviously prepped to win every one.

I had the very top section (300) but I always get row 1 and toward the center comes out cheaper that way because kids super saver seats ($5) are only in the 300 section. Plus if a tire flies off it will not reach us :wow and nothing in front of us.

This is over the rail

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Slydrag0n/DSC06096.jpg

behind the rail

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Slydrag0n/DSC06101.jpg

Did you know come Monday you can buy tickets for next years Monster Jam. It's been that way every year now and I sell tickermaster and there are always a few people who get the middle section on the bottom ($20) on Monday, a whole year in advance.

JoeChalupa
01-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Nice pics.....where is Big Foot?

Rip-Hamilton32
01-11-2009, 11:01 AM
i remember not wanting to go to one of these cause a basketball game was on tv and then when i got there i was pissed cause it was so shitty lol

DannyT
01-11-2009, 07:13 PM
it was a decent time kid got bored but got into it again when El Toro Loco went buck wild

DannyT
01-17-2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_011609WAB-monster-truck-accident-TP.498ce.html

TACOMA, Wash. – A 6-year-old boy died and a man was injured when a piece from a truck flew into the stands at the Monster Jam monster truck show Friday night at the Tacoma Dome.

Police and fire officials said the victims were taken to the hospital and KING 5 News received confirmation early this morning that the boy had died. Earlier reports that the two were related were incorrect.

KING 5 has confirmed that the boy attended Graham Elementary School.

Christine Moe was there with her family and saw the horrifying accident.

"When they came over to the end of the grandstands, the truck broke. Parts were falling off and a piece flew up and hit a little boy. He couldn't have been more than 5 years old," Moe said, her voice full of emotion.

South Bureau blog
"I talked to the people sitting next to them. Their little girl had blood all over them. It was just so horrible," said Moe. "You just saw the mother just sitting there holding her son and the whole top of his head was just gushing with blood."

It was right after intermission during the free-style competition when witnesses say the incident occurred.

Witnesses say a truck driver started doing donuts when debris flew into the stands.

Witnesses who were sitting behind the victims say debris from a red truck flew some 30 to 50 feet into the stands. They say there was no netting or glass between the stands and the arena floor.

"And it hit him in the head and there was blood everywhere," witness Adrian Kelley said. "There was everybody running down towards him and people were putting towels over his head."

KING

Witnesses say this was the truck involved in Friday night's accident at the Tacoma Dome.

"The poor dad was just collapsed at the top of the stairs," Moe said. "Just because he was in such shock."

Those who witnessed it wonder why it took so long for the boy to get help, and why the show continued.

Witnesses say they had to throw cups off the stands to try and get the attention of medics.

"They didn't even stop the damn show," Moe said. "They just kept going. We grabbed our kids and just beelined out of there."

Photo submitted

A 6-year-old boy died when a piece from a truck flew into the stands at the Monster Jam monster truck show Friday night at the Tacoma Dome. A KING 5 viewer snapped this photo moments before the incident occurred.

According to the Tacoma Dome's Web site, four more Monster Jam shows are scheduled for today and Sunday.

If you were at the show and have photos or video, please e-mail us at [email protected]

DannyT
01-17-2009, 07:52 PM
and with that being said I have attended the last Monster Jam of my Lifetime...

Duff McCartney
01-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Maybe if you're some country fried rube who is impressed by loud trucks with big tires.

I remember I went once when I was like 8. Even then I thought it was rather lame.

CharlieMac
01-17-2009, 10:25 PM
I went there in high school with my first girlfriend. No rubes there, plenty of hispanic people though.

Slydragon
01-17-2009, 11:16 PM
That's why I always get the top, Even when I sold them people were saying all you have is the top and I would reply at least if a tire flies off it will not reach you. I said it joking but that's why I keep my daughter on the top and not the bottom.

Poor kid.

Slydragon
01-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Another person gets killed,

MADISON, Wis. -- An announcer who struck and killed at a Monster Nationals truck show in Madison on Saturday likely never saw the vehicle that hit him, investigators said.

"Our preliminary investigation shows neither Eisenhart nor the truck driver saw each other before the collision," Coroner John Stanley said at a news conference Sunday.

The promoter, George Eisenhart Jr., 41, of Chardon, Ohio, suffered severe internal injuries when he was hit at the Motor Sports Monster Truck & Thrill Show at the Dane County Coliseum, the coroner said. The show was immediately halted.

The big blue truck with oversize tires was driven by its owner, Daniel Patrick, who authorities said has been a driver on the circuit for more than 20 years.

Amateur video broadcast on television showed a man walking in front of the truck.

A woman who attended the program said that the announcer was struck during a race. Melissa Millard said she saw a truck called Samson strike a man standing against the event floor wall. She said event staff told the audience that the show was over and that attendees had to exit. According to Millard, an ambulance then quickly came to the man's aid.

Sun Prairie resident Sarah Killerlain called the incident "horrific." She and her boyfriend brought his 7-year-old son and her 3-year-old son to the show. She said they covered the boys' eyes after the accident.

"They're just devastated," Killerlain said. "It was awful."

The incident comes just eight days after a piece of flying metal debris struck and killed a 6-year-old boy at a similar show in Tacoma, Wash. That show was not produced by the same company. In that case the child's family has retained a lawyer and has asked the event promoter to preserve all evidence related to the incident.

For 16 years, Eisenhart brought his passion for monster trucks to Madison: Saturday's event attracted an audience of 7,000 people, officials said.

Those who knew him said Eisenhart's top concern was always safety.

"He was standing in a well coming out onto the floor, one vehicle had passed him," said Dane County Sheriff Dave Mahoney.

It was the second truck, called Samson, driven by Daniel Patrick, of Ohio, that hit and killed the 41-year-old husband and father of two.

"The preliminary investigation indicates that neither the truck driver nor Mr. Eisenhart saw each other before the collision," said Dane County Medical Examiner John Stanley.

Video shot from a local fan caught the entire accident as it happened.

"We learned today that a lot of the direction that comes after drivers go over the cars is dependent upon how the trucks hit the cars and what happens with the trucks when they come to a landing," said Mahoney.

Dane County investigators said there are no set rules for drivers to follow. Investigators said the show's promoters, led by Eisenhart, followed all of the safety measures required during the event.

The safety requirements include not allowing anyone in the arena while a truck is on and moving, except for the announcer. Each truck must have a working engine shut-off switch, and each driver must have the required safety gear, organizers said.

"I can't tell you exactly why he went out on the floor. I think that this is a very tragic accident," said Mahoney.

Dane County investigators completed their investigation on Sunday and are calling the situation a terrible accident.

The overall investigation will now go to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, or OSHA.

On Monday, Kim Stille, director of the OSHA office in Madison, said her agency's investigation hasn't turned up any obvious safety issues. She said the investigation continues but "it does appear to be a tragic accident."

No one from Monster Truck Nationals has commented on the tragedy, but the organization's MySpace page pays tribute to Eisenhart.

Monster Truck Nationals was scheduled to be in Kentucky next weekend. There is no word on if those shows will be canceled, or if the show will return to Madison next year.

http://www.ksat.com/news/18564929/detail.html

This guy was a promoter and they stop the show and sent everyone home but when it was the little boy who died the show goes on.

Slydragon
01-26-2009, 02:00 PM
This video stops short of showing it but the guys does not even look before he walks and this place is freaking small for monster trucks

lXup28zPuHg

MoSpur
01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Wow. Sad news. You would think they'd learn from the past incidents and not let people sit so close to the action.

I took my newphew when it came a couple of weeks ago. He is 5 1/2 and loved it. It was the first time for me since I was very youg.

bballin
01-26-2009, 11:30 PM
i would take my son but dont have one yet lol