PDA

View Full Version : UFC Has San Antonio In Its Sights For The Fall

duncan228
01-11-2009, 01:32 AM
UFC has San Antonio in its sights for the fall (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/37397539.html)
John Whisler - Express-News

Don't look now, but the Ultimate Fighting Championship could be on its way to the Alamo City.

The UFC, the biggest and best of the professional mixed martial arts organizations, is eyeing the AT&T Center for a show this coming fall.

“San Antonio is very much on our radar,” said Marc Ratner, vice president of government and regulatory affairs for the UFC. “If we can make it work, it will happen.”

That could be easier said than done, however. A lot of work needs to be done before we see the likes of Brock Lesnar, Anderson Silva or BJ Penn anytime soon.

Ratner said the UFC considered a stop in San Antonio a year ago, but ran into scheduling conflicts at the AT&T Center. Dates the UFC was looking at for 2008 were not available at the facility.

That wasn't surprising. Between the Spurs, the Rampage, the rodeo and assorted other events, it's often difficult to find open dates at the East Side arena.

AT&T Center officials confirmed the UFC's interest for 2009, but noted even open dates in the spring and early summer have to be reserved for the Spurs in case the team advances deep into the NBA playoffs.

As a result, Ratner said the UFC would consider bringing its show to Freeman Coliseum, which is located next door to the AT&T Center.

If it happens, it would be the second appearance in Texas for the UFC.

The first, on April 7, 2007, drew a crowd of 15,000 to the Toyota Center in Houston and generated a live gate of $2.8 million — the largest gate in Toyota Center history.

Ratner said the UFC's schedule is set through July and that the company is looking at a September-December window for San Antonio, depending on venue availability and PPV dates.

“Our fans would like to take a walk on the River Walk,” he said.

Once described by Sen. John McCain as “human cockfighting,” MMA has crept into the mainstream and become a billion-dollar business.

The sport of MMA's popularity has soared ever since the UFC was purchased by Las Vegas-based Zuffa LLC in 2001.

That's when the UFC began to tone down its wild act. It implemented new regulations to go along with an effective marketing strategy and gained acceptance from the YouTube generation by tapping into the 18-34 male demographic.

Contract disputes continue to plague the UFC, but that didn't stop the sport's most dominant promotions company from enjoying a banner year in 2008.

It effectively ran EliteXC, one of its prime competitors — out of business and nearly did the same to another group, Affliction.

Inside the Octagon, there were numerous successes in 2008, too.

UFC went international, expanding north of the border into Montreal. UFC 83, that saw native son Georges St. Pierre reclaim the title he lost to Matt Serra in 2007, drew a UFC record 21,290 fans, a live gate of $5.1 million and generated 530,000 pay-per-view buys.

On Feb. 21, the company continues its international expansion with UFC 95 — in London.

Its plan is to spread the UFC gospel to new parts of this country, too, like San Antonio.

But will it work in what still is considered predominantly a boxing town?

Ratner said he's not worried.

The former head of the Nevada State Athletic Commission said a UFC show in the Alamo City likely would draw MMA fans from all over South Texas and the state.

“With the right fight, absolutely it would work there,” he said. “We're bullish on San Antonio.”

duncan228
01-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Duncan will be thrilled. He's a big fan.

djohn14
01-11-2009, 10:31 AM
That would be awesome. I live in southeastern Missouri, but I have family in San Antonio...so I wouldnt have to pay for a hotel!!!! Hell yeah!

Evan
01-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I wonder why not Dallas....

djohn14
01-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Because the Mavs suck! Boom!...Go Spurs Go!

koopa
01-11-2009, 11:38 AM
if it's in the Freeman Coliseum it will just be a fight night card......... they should do it in the alamo dome

Rockhound
01-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Just postpone a Rampage/Silver Stars game or something.

Evan
01-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Because the Mavs suck! Boom!...Go Spurs Go!

hah seriously tho...I wonder why...maybe the AAC is too busy and Reunion is already gutted. Shame.

djohn14
01-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I dont know. I did read that they where about to get MMA legalized in New York, which would be huge IMO for the sport.

Evan
01-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I dont know. I did read that they where about to get MMA legalized in New York, which would be huge IMO for the sport.

They are...the UFC is spending millions trying to get it sanctioned.

They own this website http://www.mmafacts.com/

2centsworth
01-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Hell no to the Freeman Coliseum. Alamodome would be more than fine if the SBC didn't work out.

TheTruth
01-11-2009, 06:02 PM
hah seriously tho...I wonder why...maybe the AAC is too busy and Reunion is already gutted. Shame.

I think it has to do with the Mexican American fans from the Valley and also the northern Mexican's with money. That's a market that the UFC would be very smart to try and tap. and Dallas wouldn't help with that at all since it's such a long drive from the valley.

They'd probably have a card stacked with people like Cain, Efrain, and Huerta. That would do very well to spread the gospel of UFC and break into what is and always has been Boxing country.

The alamodome is too big. The UFC likes full arenas, and I doubt they could sell 35.000 tickets (which would be the smalles the dome could be configured for). 20,000 empty seats isn't what UFC wants people to see on a PPV event. Freeman might suck, but you fill that thing with 15,000 fans and the atmosphere would be great.

Evan
01-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I think it has to do with the Mexican American fans from the Valley and also the northern Mexican's with money. That's a market that the UFC would be very smart to try and tap. and Dallas wouldn't help with that at all since it's such a long drive from the valley.

They'd probably have a card stacked with people like Cain, Efrain, and Huerta. That would do very well to spread the gospel of UFC and break into what is and always has been Boxing country. .

That makes a lot of sense. Dana said the Mexican market is one he really wants to tap into in 09.

djohn14
01-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Diego Sanchez...

SAtoDallas
01-12-2009, 03:10 PM
That would be pretty kick ass.

Destro
01-12-2009, 09:39 PM
have any of you been to a big MMA fight in a place like SBC center? I've been to lots of boxing in big places and its kinda hard to see unless you are close. I know i won't be able to afford a good ticket. i imagine its even harder to see MMA with the cage vs. ropes. Although the sight lines might be over the cage. Thoughts?

sa_butta
01-13-2009, 12:15 PM
I can't imagine the Alamodome would even be considered it is just way too big.

LEONARD
01-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Road trip

ATRAIN
01-13-2009, 02:59 PM
That would be awesome and have an after event gtg.

desflood
01-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm in.

ATRAIN
01-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Awesome thats 2 so far

djohn14
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Im in MORE THAN LIKELY!

ATRAIN
01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
3 so far, what about the Dallas boys? Evan, Leonard, Dallas?

sa_butta
01-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Im in + 1.

ATRAIN
01-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Im in + 1.

Awesome, I had a feeling you would be :tu

BlackSwordsMan
01-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Duncan will be thrilled. He's a big fan.

Never seen this thread before.
Duncan ever been to an event?

duncan228
01-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Never seen this thread before.
Duncan ever been to an event?

He has. I have pics somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them up. That will tell us the dates/events.

duncan228
01-24-2009, 06:03 PM
At the moment I only have proof of one that Duncan was at, UFC 65 in Sacramento, November '06. He's been at others, I don't have proof handy.

Names in attendance included light-heavyweight champion Chuck (The Iceman) Liddell and NBA stars Tim Duncan and Mike Bibby.

http://breakallchains.blogspot.com/2006/11/tim-sylvia-ufc-defends-heavyweight.html

BlackSwordsMan
01-25-2009, 05:18 PM
awesome

Evan
01-25-2009, 11:14 PM
I have seen Duncan one one or two before...so has Shaq. Poor bastard who had expensive seats behind him must have been pissed!

mickiedaniels
02-01-2009, 05:32 PM
This is a great thread! Keep us posted! Thanks duncan228 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3534)!

duncan228
03-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but at the time I couldn't find this. I just came across it and thought I'd share.

Duncan thinks WWE is a slam dunk (http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/archive/duncanwwe)
By: Ed Williams III
July 17, 2006

Every NBA fan already knows that Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs is arguably the best player in the NBA, but what they may not know is that the three-time NBA Champion is also a huge WWE fan. Since RAW was at the AT&T Center, the Spurs’ home arena, it was only fitting that Duncan was on hand.

And it’s also fitting that one of his favorite Superstars is San Antonio’s own Shawn Michaels.

“I watch (WWE) all the time,” said the two-time NBA Most Valuable Player. “I’ve met (Shawn Michaels) a couple different times, and I love to come see the (Superstars). I also love seeing Ric (Flair).”

Also the NBA Finals MVP in 1999, 2003 and 2005, Duncan is no stranger to capacity crowds and rabid fans, but he says nothing compares to a WWE crowd.

“Wrestling fans are so crazy,” said Duncan, one of only 10 NBA players to win the MVP award more than once. “Everywhere you go, it’s a packed house. It’s awesome. It’s just a great show to see.”

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/wwe2006.jpg

TheTruth
03-15-2009, 05:22 PM
lol, your gonna piss these guys off with this WWF stuff.

duncan228
03-15-2009, 05:26 PM
:lol