PDA

View Full Version : Question about clearing waivers...

Kori Ellis
02-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Alan Henderson won't clear waivers until Tuesday at 5pm, and he's the first of the wanted free agents to be put on waivers (Dale Davis, Payton, Wesley Person, etc.)

If players have to be signed on your team by March 1 in order to be on the playoff roster, then how will any of those guys be signed in time? Most of them won't clear waivers until March 2.

Is there an exception in the rule?

exstatic
02-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Isn't it the release date that determines post season eligibility, not the clearing date, Kori?

travis2
02-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Alan Henderson won't clear waivers until Tuesday at 5pm, and he's the first of the wanted free agents to be put on waivers (Dale Davis, Payton, Wesley Person, etc.)

If players have to be signed on your team by March 1 in order to be on the playoff roster, then how will any of those guys be signed in time? Most of them won't clear waivers until March 2.

Is there an exception in the rule?

There is, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. I had a similar question once before.

I think so long as the player was waived before the deadline, then he can be added to a roster with no playoff limitations.

But I could be wrong.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Isn't it the relase date, not the clearing date, Kori?

Isn't the rule you have to have them signed by March 1?

timvp
02-28-2005, 01:28 PM
March 1
Players waived after this date are ineligible for the playoffs

That's pretty vague but I guess that as long as you are waived before March 1st, you can join a team and then play in the playoffs. I thought they had to be signed before March 1st but I guess not.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Interesting. Either way, they need to hurry up and waive Payton, Person, etc. They haven't even been waived yet.

exstatic
02-28-2005, 01:31 PM
It would be cruel to have the trade deadline such that unwanted players thrown into deals would be ineligible for the postseason.

FromWayDowntown
02-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Coon's FAQ says this:

53. What are waivers?
It's a temporary status for players who are released by their team. A player released between August 15th and the end of the regular season stays on waivers for 48 hours. A player released at any other time stays on waivers for 10 days. During the waiver period other teams may claim a waived player. If more than one team tries to claim the player, the team with the worst record gets him. If a player on waivers is claimed, the new team acquires his existing contract and pays the remainder of his salary. There is also a fee of $1,000, payable to the league office, for claiming a waived player.

A team can claim a waived player only if one of the following is true:

The team is far enough under the salary cap to fit the player's entire salary.

The team has a disabled player exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 17 ).

The team has a trade exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 68 ).

The player's contract is for one or two seasons and he is paid the minimum salary.
If no team claims a waived player, he is said to have "cleared waivers." The player may sign with the team of his choice at that point. The player's new team only pays the pro-rated minimum salary to the player. The player's original team continues to pay the balance of the player's salary. For this reason, few players are actually claimed while on waivers.

If a player is waived after March 1, he is ineligible to be included in the playoff roster of any team that signs him for the remainder of that season.

Jimcs50
02-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Are going after Henderson?

exstatic
02-28-2005, 01:38 PM
I think Pop may be interested in either Hendu or DDavis.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Express-News said that the Spurs are interested in Henderson, but it's pretty set that he's going back to the Mavs. The latest article on Davis says that he's narrowed it down to three teams (which don't include the Spurs).