PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Globe Awards and my regret.

JoeChalupa
01-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Since my tight-ass hates to dish out the bucks to go see a movie at the theatre these days it makes the Golden Globes more of a "rooting for who I like" experience rather than a "they did a an awesome performance" experience since I've rarely seen any of the movies since they are not on DVD yet...unless I get them Mouse but I'm learing how to to that... but as I'm watching the pre-show predictions I'm rooting for Sean Penn because he's one of my all time favorite actors and of course Clint Eastwood has to be on any real man's list but I'm not even sure if he's nominated since I don't pay THAT much attention but only the hype I hear which brings me to "Slumlord Millionaire" which mouse offered to let me watch and I dismissed it and now wish I had taken him up on the offer.
And what is the buzz about Mickey Rourke's role in "The Wrestler"? Anyone see this movie? I'm going to have to check it out. I usually use the awards to make my "must see" list for the upcoming DVD releases more than anything else.
Maybe I'll start actually going to the movies again? Nah, I'll wait for the DVD's.
Anyhow I'm looking forward to the show to see what happens.

balli
01-11-2009, 12:23 PM
And what is the buzz about Mickey Rourke's role in "The Wrestler"? Anyone see this movie? I'm going to have to check it out.

I've seen it. Great, great movie. Though incredibly depressing throughout it's entirety. I'm hoping for (and they deserve) Oscars for both Tomei and Rourke as well as best picture.

Joe, just get on the internets. I've already downloaded and own quality copies of The Wrestler, Gran Torino and Slumdog Millionaire. Awards films are the best ones for bootleg copies because they always send out DVD screeners to prospective awards voters. These always leak and then there are DVD quality releases available for download before the films are even out of the theaters. Hell, I had a dvd quality copy of the Wrestler like the day it dropped in select theaters. If you're serious about wanting to learn more about downloads and mouse is still MIA, I'll send you a pm with a good tutorial.

JoeChalupa
01-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I've seen it. Great, great movie. Though incredibly depressing throughout it's entirety. I'm hoping for (and they deserve) Oscars for both Tomei and Rourke as well as best picture.

Joe, just get on the internets. I've already downloaded and own quality copies of The Wrestler, Gran Torino and Slumdog Millionaire. Awards films are the best ones for bootleg copies because they always send out DVD screeners to prospective awards voters. These always leak and then there are DVD quality releases available for download before the films are even out of the theaters. Hell, I had a dvd quality copy of the Wrestler like the day it dropped in select theaters. If you're serious about wanting to learn more about downloads and mouse is still MIA, I'll send you a pm with a good tutorial.

Yeah, send me that PM, thanks!

Richard Cranium
01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Mickey Rourke takes it!!

Richard Cranium
01-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Slumdog Millionaire takes it!!

ididnotnothat
01-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Glad to see Heath Ledger won and also Kate who looked lovely.

Blake
01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Since my tight-ass hates to dish out the bucks to go see a movie at the theatre these days it makes the Golden Globes more of a "rooting for who I like" experience rather than a "they did a an awesome performance" experience since I've rarely seen any of the movies since they are not on DVD yet...unless I get them Mouse but I'm learing how to to that... but as I'm watching the pre-show predictions I'm rooting for Sean Penn because he's one of my all time favorite actors and of course Clint Eastwood has to be on any real man's list but I'm not even sure if he's nominated since I don't pay THAT much attention but only the hype I hear which brings me to "Slumlord Millionaire" which mouse offered to let me watch and I dismissed it and now wish I had taken him up on the offer.
And what is the buzz about Mickey Rourke's role in "The Wrestler"? Anyone see this movie? I'm going to have to check it out. I usually use the awards to make my "must see" list for the upcoming DVD releases more than anything else.
Maybe I'll start actually going to the movies again? Nah, I'll wait for the DVD's.
Anyhow I'm looking forward to the show to see what happens.

I think maybe 5 movies come out per year that might actually be worth paying full price at the theater. You may as well take your money out of your wallet, rip it up and eat it instead of going to see flicks like Yes Man, Bride Wars or Marley and Me...

that said, I hope that Kevin James gets a golden globe for his performance in Mall Cop.

Dr. Gonzo
01-12-2009, 11:11 AM
The Wrestler was a really good movie. I watched it the other night and thought Mickey Rourke was great.

JoeChalupa
01-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I'm going to have to watch the Wrestler. But I'm not dishing out the bucks to see a movie that I can just wait or DL it and save money.

Dr. Gonzo
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
That's what I did. :tu

mFFL03
01-13-2009, 12:32 AM
slumdog is a movie for the big screen though....almost every other danny boyle movie is. i still regret not seeing sunshine at the theater

balli
01-14-2009, 12:44 PM
slumdog is a movie for the big screen though....

I'd agree. I knew nothing about the film's premise or visual style when I watched a DL'd copy last night. It was still great, but now that I know what's up, I'll probably see it in a theater.

DarkReign
01-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Forward that PM to me as well, please.

Chief
01-15-2009, 07:28 PM
slumdog millionaire was a really good movie, all the surroundings and the ways of life shown in that movie are correct.

The who wants to be a millionaire show really does air in india, the host is anil kapoor (altho they keep changing), children really do get picked up from landfills and bad places and are exploited to make money.

I liked the story a lot, it felt like in the beginning the movie showed a lot of hype , but then slowed down.

Duff McCartney
01-17-2009, 06:54 PM
It's bad when someone is a cheap ass. It's even worse when they know they are cheap asses. Nobody likes a tight wad.