PDA

View Full Version : Will he stay, or will he go?

SpursFanFirst
01-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Updated: January 11, 2009, 2:06 PM ET
Dungy ready to decide NFL future

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3825463

Tony Dungy appears ready to make a decision about his NFL future.

The Indianapolis Colts coach told ESPN's Chris Mortensen he will meet with team owner Jim Irsay on Sunday. And by Monday morning, Dungy said he expects to tell Irsay his plans.

Dungy and his wife Lauren had the week to contemplate his future with the Colts, but a trip to New York for son Jordan's surgery on a broken leg occupied their time. Jordan Dungy is back home in Tampa, Fla., and doing well after surgery.

It seems the decision will ultimately come down to family. Dungy, whose Colts lost to the San Diego Chargers in the AFC wild card game after a 12-4 mark this season, has said he just has to decide whether commuting from Indianapolis to see his wife and children in Florida is worth it.

Dungy's been here before. Since Indianapolis won the Super Bowl after the 2006 season, Dungy has thought each offseason about retirement and how much longer he wanted to stay in the NFL.

If he does walk away this time, Dungy will leave behind quite a legacy.

In 13 seasons as a head coach, seven in Indianapolis and six with Tampa Bay, Dungy ranks 19th all-time with 148 career wins, including the playoffs. He's the only black coach to win a Super Bowl. Dungy is also the first coach in NFL history to make the playoffs in 10 straight seasons.

Any predictions?

Personally, I think he's done. :depressed

J.T.
01-11-2009, 06:00 PM
In all honesty I think Dungy and Harrison are both going to retire. I don't know if Harrison will take an offer with another team, that's why it was so important that he got to #2 all-time receptions in that last game.

All I know is this team needs a shot in the arm and that's probably going to be a coaching change. This is still going to be the team that Dungy built, so I'm hoping Caldwell just brings a little more balls to the organization but doesn't change much. If another team hires Meeks, we could probably benefit from a more hard nosed defensive coordinator, too.