PDA

View Full Version : Colts coach Dungy is stepping down

Taco
01-12-2009, 11:20 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9067132/Sources:-Colts-coach-Dungy-is-stepping-down?MSNHPHMA

Sources: Colts coach Dungy is stepping down
by Jay Glazer

Tony Dungy is stepping down as head coach of the Colts -- at least that's what he's telling those inside the team headquarters, sources told FOXSports.com.

While the team has scheduled a 5 p.m. press conference, Dungy is walking around the team's complex saying goodbye to players and team employees and informing them that the transition should be a smooth one for new coach Jim Caldwell.
According to one source, Dungy explained that he has talked it over with his family and they believed this was the proper time to step down, while the Colts nucleus was still intact.

Dungy is perhaps the most respected head coach among peers and players of this era. He won a Super Bowl a couple of years ago and at that time many thought he would step down. Last year these same sentiments were predicted but he decided instead to pick his predecessor and stay on for one more year.

Dungy will not enter his eighth season with the team and finishes with a record of 92-33 and can boast that he made the postseason all seven years with the club.

Dr. Gonzo
01-12-2009, 11:22 AM
He should've been given a ring when Tampa won a few years back. He made that team and it's a shame he didn't get to win with them.

ATRAIN
01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Very interesting, so does this mean next year it will be the Titans, Texans, Indy, Jax in that order?

SpursFanFirst
01-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Not surprising news, but sad, nonetheless.

To Mr. Dungy and his family :toast

stretch
01-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Very interesting, so does this mean next year it will be the Titans, Texans, Indy, Jax in that order?

LMAO texans

ATRAIN
01-12-2009, 12:27 PM
LMAO texans

Is that really all you can post? I guess one of the top Offenses in the NFL doesnt mean anything.

stretch
01-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Is that really all you can post? I guess one of the top Offenses in the NFL doesnt mean anything.

since when does offense win championships?

and all those offensive yards are kinda pointless if you cant score points (no pun intended)

lol, rosenfels

lol, schaub

lol, texans

BruceBowenFan
01-12-2009, 01:05 PM
One of the classiest coaches, sad to see him to go.

ClingingMars
01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
This is a sad day. One less classy coach in the league.

-Mars

dirk4mvp
01-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Peyton hasn't retired, so no.

Dr. Gonzo
01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Peyton hasn't retired, so no.

I was going to say the exact same thing. As long as Peyton, Sanders and Freeny are still Colts they will still be AFC elite.

JamStone
01-12-2009, 02:58 PM
One of the best people in all of professional sports. A gentleman and an inspiration to many people. More coaches should aspire to conduct themselves the way he did.

Congratulations on a great coaching career, Coach Dungy. And good luck with what you do next.

tp2021
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
One of the best people in all of professional sports. A gentleman and an inspiration to many people. More coaches should aspire to conduct themselves the way he did.

Congratulations on a great coaching career, Coach Dungy. And good luck with what you do next.

+1 :tu

I Love Me Some Me
01-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Take a year off, let Wade finish out his lame-duck year, then Jerry can choose from Dungy, Cohwer, or Billick.

SpursFanFirst
01-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Take a year off, let Wade finish out his lame-duck year, then Jerry can choose from Dungy, Cohwer, or Billick.

Dungy is done with football.
I don't see him coming back after walking away.
He's got his family and his church.

SpursFanFirst
01-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Press conference is going on now.

Irsay is painful to listen to, but it's nice to see the emotion.

SpursFanFirst
01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Very nice speech by Dungy. :cry

layupdrill
01-12-2009, 06:23 PM
A loss for the league indeed.

FromWayDowntown
01-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I think Dungy is going away from football for good. It would be at odds with his character -- and the purposes giving rise to his retirement -- for him to come back to it. He's a wonderful man who should be a role model to kids and adults alike. His retirement is a loss to the NFL and to coaching as a whole; I do hope/wish that more coaches, particularly at the youth levels would take Dungy's example and live by it.

Historically, I do wonder if Dungy becomes a Hall of Famer for his coaching. He's got really good regular season numbers thanks to his gaudy years with the Colts, but his all-time ranks are in basically in the teens in Wins (18th, but Belichick will pass next season) and winning percentage (11th). And, despite his historic Super Bowl XLI win, he's under .500 in the playoffs for his career (though his teams have reached the playoffs in 11 of his 13 seasons) and his teams have suffered several monumental collapses. I think the sentiment of those who will vote on such things will generally support his enshrinement and I think Dungy will be in the Hall at some point.

ducks
01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
to bad he could not control manning better
but if he tried he would had been fired
and to made he had manning who is a choker

samikeyp
01-12-2009, 10:36 PM
:toast

One of the real nice guys.

J.T.
01-12-2009, 10:39 PM
to bad he could not control manning better
but if he tried he would had been fired
and to made he had manning who is a choker

Wow ducks, you even manage to come off like an ignorant fuckstick in a thread honoring Tony Dungy. Wow. Just wow.

ducks
01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
actually the coach of the team was manning
manning waived off dungy in the playoffs on going for it on 4th down

I liked dungy but he was not the coach with the manning on that team

leemajors
01-20-2009, 10:17 AM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/01/colts-stormtrooper.jpg