PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Jam to remaster, reissue Ten

Spurminator
01-13-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't go for the album reissues much but this is one I might actually buy. The Unplugged DVD would be nice to have.

PEARL JAM ANNOUNCES THE REISSUE OF BAND’S DEBUT ALBUM, TEN:
FOUR SPECIAL EDITION PACKAGES IN STORES MARCH 24, 2009
TEN CLUB PRE-SALE OF SUPER DELUXE BOX SET BEGINS NOW

Album extras include:

Remaster of original Ten album + remix by producer Brendan O’Brien •
DVD of previously unreleased 1992 Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged performance with 5.1 surround sound audio remix • LP of the band’s 1992 “Drop in the Park” concert • Replica of Pearl Jam three-song demo cassette with Eddie Vedder’s original vocal dubs • Recreation of Eddie Vedder composition notebook • Never before seen memorabilia • Bonus tracks and more.

Ten, the debut album that sold 12 million copies and introduced the world to Pearl Jam in 1991, will be reissued in four (4) new and expanded editions. Pre-orders of the Super Deluxe Edition begin today, through the Ten Club at PearlJam.com (https://www.pearljam.com/max). All four editions will be available for purchase on March 24, 2009. The reissue of Ten serves as the launch of a planned two-year catalogue re-release campaign leading up to the band’s 20th anniversary in 2011.

Each Ten package will include two versions of the album: the remastered version of the original album PLUS an accompanying remixed version done by the band’s long-time producer, Brendan O’Brien (Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Audioslave). Details on specific extras for each of the four packages are listed below.

“The band loved the original mix of Ten, but were also interested in what it would sound like if I were to deconstruct and remix it,” says producer Brendan O’Brien. “The original Ten sound is what millions of people bought, dug and loved, so I was initially hesitant to mess around with that. After years of persistent nudging from the band, I was able to wrap my head around the idea of offering it as a companion piece to the original – giving a fresh take on it, a more direct sound.”

TEN RE-DESIGN

Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament, who served as the art director for the original Ten packaging, reprised his role for the reissues collaborating with designer, Andy Fischer, of Cameron Crowe’s Vinyl Films (Into the Wild soundtrack LP, Vanilla Sky soundtrack LP, Harold and Maude anniversary edition soundtrack LP).

"The goal was to assemble the ultimate fan-piece,” explains Fischer. “Something Pearl Jam lovers could pore over as they experience an indelible record all over again, in an entirely new way."

“The original concept was about really being together as a group and entering into the world of music as a true band...a sort of all-for-one deal,” says Jeff Ament. “There were some elements of the original Ten artwork that didn't turn out the way we had hoped, due to time constraints. With this reissue, we’ve been able to take our time and invest resources into making the design the way we had originally intended.”

REPLICA OF PEARL JAM 3-SONG DEMO CASSETTE IN SUPER DELUXE EDITION

In the process of digging through his archives for this project, Ament came across an old cassette marked “Momma-Son” – the fabled original Pearl Jam demo tape featuring the first recorded versions of “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps.” Ament and guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready had recorded instrumental tracks of these songs to help solicit a singer for their newly formed band. Mutual friend - and then Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer - Jack Irons suggested they send the tape down to San Diego surfer and little-known singer Eddie Vedder.

Completely inspired by what he heard from these musicians that he then only knew by name, Vedder quickly wrote lyrics, put these vocals to the music tracks and shipped the tape back to Seattle. Upon hearing how Vedder had transformed the songs, Ament, Gossard and McCready asked him to come up to Seattle so they could meet and have an official “tryout” together. Shortly thereafter, Pearl Jam was born. (A replica of the “Momma-Son” cassette will be included in the Super Deluxe Edition of Ten.)
Jeff Ament describes the experience of re-visiting that tape with singer Eddie Vedder:

“I think the first time that Ed or I had opened any of those boxes was a few weeks ago. I knew that the original ‘Momma-Son’ cassette was somewhere, but I hadn’t listened to it in 17, 18, 19 years. It was cool to sit down and play it for the first time with Ed and see his reaction. And to find that 90% of it stayed exactly the same as what ended up on the record. A lot of elements were identical. There was some energy flying around at that point even from 1,300 miles away from Seattle to San Diego.”

THE FOUR EDITIONS OF TEN: ALBUM EXTRAS PER PACKAGE

1. Legacy Edition (2-disc set in mini-LP style slipcase):
· Disc 1: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered (original mix)
· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
· Re-designed packaging

2. Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD specially designed hardbound package):
· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix

3. Vinyl Collection (2-LP set)
· LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien

4. Super Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD, 4 LPs and replica cassette in linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box):
· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix
· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien
· LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien)
· Cassette: replica of original “Momma-Son” Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps”
· Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam’s early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.

https://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-announces-reissue-band%E2%80%99s-debut-album-ten

JoeChalupa
01-13-2009, 05:40 PM
:tu

ORION
01-13-2009, 05:41 PM
:vomit:

I Love Me Some Me
01-13-2009, 05:42 PM
"If it ain't broke" forum

Thunder Dan
01-13-2009, 05:43 PM
I preordered mine . I got the Super Deluxe edition from Ten Club. Comes with a ton of shit

http://secure.pearljam.com/images/store/products/1010-SDx.jpg

Blake
01-13-2009, 05:46 PM
translation: We're broke. Let's see if we can repackage the only album we have that's worth a damn and sell it as something that's brand new.

Spurminator
01-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I'll probably just get the Deluxe edition and download Drop in the Park and Momma-Son on MP3... don't really care about the vinyl, replica cassette or the memorabilia and I definitely can't justify dropping over $100 for it.

Spurminator
01-13-2009, 05:59 PM
"If it ain't broke" forum

Normally I'd agree. Fortunately, they're including the original mix in the package. I'm curious to see how the remaster sounds... occasionally the original mix sounds a little dated (too much reverb, for example) and I'm interested to see if the new mix makes it sound consistent with the later albums.

JoeChalupa
01-13-2009, 06:01 PM
I like Pearl Jam!! Rock on!!!

Notorious H.O.P.
01-13-2009, 07:08 PM
translation: We're broke. Let's see if we can repackage the only album we have that's worth a damn and sell it as something that's brand new.

Agreed. Even worse, they are creating four versions of it in a effort to dupe their hardcore fans into buying multiple versions.

And what is this "mix" crap? That's something usually done with pop and dance songs, not rock.

Ten was a great album, no doubt but everything else has been getting progressively weaker and it appears the gravy train has stopped running for them.

It's a shame they have to resort to reaming their existing fans to squeeze out a couple of extra bucks.

Thunder Dan
01-13-2009, 07:19 PM

Ten is far from Pearl Jam's best album, and they are still one of the best bands around today (not saying much). They still rank top 5 every summer they tour, so I wouldn't say things are broke

Thunder Dan
01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Agreed. Even worse, they are creating four versions of it in a effort to dupe their hardcore fans into buying multiple versions.

And what is this "mix" crap? That's something usually done with pop and dance songs, not rock.

Ten was a great album, no doubt but everything else has been getting progressively weaker and it appears the gravy train has stopped running for them.

It's a shame they have to resort to reaming their existing fans to squeeze out a couple of extra bucks.

hardcore fans of Pearl Jam don't even like Ten- if they really wanted to squeeze from their hardcore fanbase they would rerelease No Code.

And their Gravy Train is touring, which they do every summer to sold out venues. They had 12 shows this summer and sold out every single one- and they keep their ticket prices fair unlike other artists

EricB
01-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Pearl Jam is my favorite band of all time, so no question I'll be hyped for this.

romad_20
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Pearl Jam is a band I like and respect. I'm not their biggest fan but they would never put shit out just to make a buck.

I'll get the one with the DVD, that sounds pretty sweet, especially in 5.1

leemajors
01-13-2009, 08:34 PM

in some cases i would agree, but not this one. PJ is one of the few bands out there looking out for their fans. They released 30 or so live albums in the late 90s - over Sony's objections - two disc sets for a good price, they sued Ticketmaster, etc. I am of the opinion that No Code is their best album. They also took a back seat to Neil Young on Mirrorball, another favorite of mine. They have no problem selling out their shows with little to no video or radio airplay - they're not hurting for cash at all. So, in my opinion (at least), this is quite a treat for their hardcore fans. I'm not interested in buying it personally, but i can see a whole lot of people will love it.

leemajors
01-13-2009, 08:37 PM
hardcore fans of Pearl Jam don't even like Ten- if they really wanted to squeeze from their hardcore fanbase they would rerelease No Code.

And their Gravy Train is touring, which they do every summer to sold out venues. They had 12 shows this summer and sold out every single one- and they keep their ticket prices fair unlike other artists

Even if they did charge more, you're still getting your money's worth. They don't play 45 minute shows from what i know - that may be the length of just the first set. They are also a DAMN good cover band.

EricB
01-13-2009, 08:39 PM
I guess I'm one of the few hardcore fans that likes Ten. Its the album that turned them onto me honestly.

Blake
01-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Ten is far from Pearl Jam's best album, and they are still one of the best bands around today (not saying much). They still rank top 5 every summer they tour, so I wouldn't say things are broke

please spare the hard core fan stuff.

10 has gone platinum 12x over = most popular.
They are releasing this four different ways with several new songs on each so you have to buy 4 different CDs.

money.

leemajors
01-13-2009, 08:55 PM
please spare the hard core fan stuff.

10 has gone platinum 12x over = most popular.
They are releasing this four different ways with several new songs on each so you have to buy 4 different CDs.

money.

read closer. the second option contains the first. the third is on vinyl. the fourth option has whatever in the first three plus some extra stuff.

traitoravery
01-13-2009, 09:30 PM

You're an idiot

Thunder Dan
01-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Even if they did charge more, you're still getting your money's worth. They don't play 45 minute shows from what i know - that may be the length of just the first set. They are also a DAMN good cover band.

hell yeah, they are great to their fans. I'm a Ten Club Member and I get 2 of the best seats they have for their shows at a good price with no fees. I saw them in Florida and Virginia this summer and I think my tickets were $95 for the pair, and I sat pretty close as you can see below. I've seen them in concert 12 times and have a great time every time I go. They give away tons of money to charity without seeking press, and they always go out of their way to thank their fans. I have no problem with them reissuing the album that gave them their start.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v249/175/55/23303655/n23303655_36380981_3835.jpg

Thunder Dan
01-13-2009, 09:44 PM
I guess I'm one of the few hardcore fans that likes Ten. Its the album that turned them onto me honestly.

I really like Ten too. I just like the songs from the album live better than the studio versions, I'm just saying that if you ask most Pearl Jam fans that have been with them through the years they will probably pick No Code as their favorite album because that is when Pearl Jam kinda changed

leemajors
01-13-2009, 09:45 PM
You're an idiot

No way. Just a bad take. H.O.P. doesn't post enough as it is!

PM5K
01-13-2009, 11:26 PM
No Blu-ray no care..

But seriously, this is probably one of the top ten albums ever....

chreph
01-14-2009, 09:21 AM
I may be in the minority, but I think Vs is their best album. Still plan on getting the package with the DVD, though (too bad no blu-ray). I'm excited to see how it turned out. Another example of this is "Disclaimer" by Seether. It was released to little fanfair and then after "Broken" became the single, they remastered the album and added a few more tracks and called it "Disclaimer II". The songs all sounded just a little bit different and it was cool to hear. If I thought it was cool to hear the remastered version of "Disclaimer", I'm sure "Ten" is going to be really interesting (for better or worse). :hat

Spurminator
01-14-2009, 09:52 AM
No Blu-ray no care..

Why would you need a Blu-Ray of a show that was filmed for TV in 1992? It wasn't filmed in HD so what difference does it make? Even if it was released on Blu-Ray, it would look exactly the same, it would just cost more.

Dr. Gonzo
01-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Vs is my favorite album as well with Vitology, Ten, No Code, Yield and the self-titled albums next. I love Pearl Jam because they don't sell out and change what they want to do to get radio hits. They are the best band to come out of the 90's.

Vedder>Cobain

ATRAIN
01-14-2009, 10:05 AM
SWEET!!!

3. Vinyl Collection (2-LP set)

Yeah Ten is prob 5th on my list of thier best. Yield is my number 1, then Vitalogy, Vs, No Code

Thunder Dan
03-24-2009, 02:03 PM
this shit is awesome. The pictures are incredible

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2009, 02:05 PM
did this come out today?

Thunder Dan
03-24-2009, 02:09 PM
did this come out today?

yeah. I got mine yesterday in the mail because I got it through 10c- but it's really cool. The pictures are great. I even got a Mookie Blaylock rookie card in mine. You can actually hear the difference in the new Brenden O'Brien disc and the MTV Unplugged thing is cool too

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2009, 02:12 PM
yeah. I got mine yesterday in the mail because I got it through 10c- but it's really cool. The pictures are great. I even got a Mookie Blaylock rookie card in mine. You can actually hear the difference in the new Brenden O'Brien disc and the MTV Unplugged thing is cool too
cool. i may pick it up along with mastodon's new one today. i don't know though.................guitar hero: metallica on sunday.

MannyIsGod
03-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Hows the DVD? Thats really what I want to check out.

And PJ's last few albums are very very good.

lefty
03-24-2009, 02:19 PM
I LOVE Pearl Jam.

But that's pretty pathetic

Thunder Dan
03-24-2009, 02:20 PM
cool. i may pick it up along with mastodon's new one today. i don't know though.................guitar hero: metallica on sunday.

Speaking of that, I got a download code as well with my thing, I guess they are on Rock Band now- but I've never played it

TheTruth
03-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Best band of the '90s. Hands down

Spurminator
03-24-2009, 02:25 PM
I'll probably just get the Deluxe edition and download Drop in the Park and Momma-Son on MP3... don't really care about the vinyl, replica cassette or the memorabilia and I definitely can't justify dropping over $100 for it.

Fuck it, I'm gonna get the big one.

Viva Las Espuelas
Best band of the '90s. Hands down
that could be debated.

Thunder Dan
Hows the DVD? Thats really what I want to check out.

And PJ's last few albums are very very good.

It's awesome. 5.1 Surround Quality. I'm surprised it took this long to surface. I haven't listened to the Vinyls yet, or the demo cassette because I can't find a record or tape player, but the package is quality. The CD's come in little record things like Vitology, and the whole package is like in this clamshell. It's really done very well. The pictures are my favorite part of it all and the Mookie Blaylock rookie card

MannyIsGod
03-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Nice - I look forward to checking that out.

Condemned 2 HelLA
03-24-2009, 11:14 PM

Got my copy on Saturday. :spin.
Absolutely brilliant.

SequSpur
03-24-2009, 11:33 PM
is this a dvd or cd or what? pearl jam 10 is in my fave 5 all time greats..

Drachen
03-25-2009, 08:33 AM

I think that someone stole your password to make you look bad. "Ten is far from Pearl Jam's best album"?????? Ok, you are right, Ten is not Pearl Jam's best album, it is the best album of the grunge area. It is the reason that they are #3 on my list of grunge era bands. Without it, they wouldn't even be ranked.

1. Alice in Chains (best body of work by far)
2. Soundgarden (1 great album and 2 really really good albums)
3. Pearl Jam (1 Pantheon level album and a few really good songs on each subsequent album)
9. Nirvana (Some good songs, overall not a bad band that totally cashed in on the fact that Kurt killed himself, wouldn't be half as revered if Kurt was alive today because they wouldn't have the vote of all of those "I am a teenager and Kurt really gets me because my life is hell" type people.

Drachen
03-25-2009, 08:39 AM
vedder>cobain

thank you!!!

You and me, we are gonna change the world.

fraga
03-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Lf7TcSpLMtM

Thunder Dan
03-25-2009, 08:50 AM
is this a dvd or cd or what? pearl jam 10 is in my fave 5 all time greats..

depends on what you get.

I think the Legacy edition is 2 CD's- 1 orginial Ten, 1 Brenden O'Brien Remix Ten and Bonus Tracks

Deluxe is both CD's and the DVD of the Unplugged in a hardcover CD case that has 20 pages of pictures and other stuff from the Ten era

Super Deluxe is: Both CDs, DVD, both CD's on Vinyl, Drop in the Park 1992 on Vinyl, a lookalike of their first ever demo cassette, a recreation of Vedder's notebook, a bunch of sweet pictures, backstage passes, a Mookie Blaylock Rookie Card amung other things. Here are some pictures of what it is

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fearedandloathed/sets/72157615685822918/

Thunder Dan
03-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Lf7TcSpLMtM

that shit is awesome

Thunder Dan
03-25-2009, 09:00 AM
I think that someone stole your password to make you look bad. "Ten is far from Pearl Jam's best album"?????? Ok, you are right, Ten is not Pearl Jam's best album, it is the best album of the grunge area. It is the reason that they are #3 on my list of grunge era bands. Without it, they wouldn't even be ranked.

1. Alice in Chains (best body of work by far)
2. Soundgarden (1 great album and 2 really really good albums)
3. Pearl Jam (1 Pantheon level album and a few really good songs on each subsequent album)
9. Nirvana (Some good songs, overall not a bad band that totally cashed in on the fact that Kurt killed himself, wouldn't be half as revered if Kurt was alive today because they wouldn't have the vote of all of those "I am a teenager and Kurt really gets me because my life is hell" type people.

I think Ten is a good grunge album, but they don't really put out grunge anymore and haven't since 94- I consider No Code their best album. In contexts of grunge and that era I agree with your list, however if we are talking about Rock bands Pearl Jam has to be higher because of longevity. Pearl Jam's sound translates today where as AIC and Soundgarden have not shown the ability to step away from grunge

BacktoBasics
03-25-2009, 09:12 AM
I think Ten is a good grunge album, but they don't really put out grunge anymore and haven't since 94- I consider No Code their best album. In contexts of grunge and that era I agree with your list, however if we are talking about Rock bands Pearl Jam has to be higher because of longevity. Pearl Jam's sound translates today where as AIC and Soundgarden have not shown the ability to step away from grungeI couldn't agree more. Bands that stand the test of time are ever evolving. Which is where AIC and Soundgarden fell short.

leemajors
03-25-2009, 09:19 AM
I couldn't agree more. Bands that stand the test of time are ever evolving. Which is where AIC and Soundgarden fell short.

well, AIC got cut short.

Thunder Dan
03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Here's hoping they tour this summer

k1DFifr7iYg

Drachen
03-25-2009, 09:46 AM
I think Ten is a good grunge album, but they don't really put out grunge anymore and haven't since 94- I consider No Code their best album. In contexts of grunge and that era I agree with your list, however if we are talking about Rock bands Pearl Jam has to be higher because of longevity. Pearl Jam's sound translates today where as AIC and Soundgarden have not shown the ability to step away from grunge

I agree that they don't put out grunge anymore. That much is obvious. I do diagree with your take on AIC since in their later years they turned into more of a hard rock band. In fact when I have this discussion and bring out my "list," one of the more educated responses is that AIC doesn't belong on that list because they are and always have been hard rock. I disagree with them, but it is better than the "Nu-UH! Nirvana is number 1 because Kurt is GOD." I mean, you are probably 30, get over your teen angst. Shoot, I like the body of work that the Foo Fighters put out better than Nirvana's.

Off Topic: I was just reading Wikipedia about pearl jam, nirvana, etc and one of them said that there was some kind of hatred that Kurt held towards Pearl Jam, is this true?? - Funny, Jealousy is an ugly step-child.

Off Topic: Right after Kurt killed himself, my dad and I were driving on 1604 and we were listening to Nirvana's "Come as you are" and the part of the song came on that said "and I swear that I don't have a gun, no I don't have a gun . . ." and my dad looked at the radio and said "Damn Liar." Freakin Priceless.

Thunder Dan
03-25-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree that they don't put out grunge anymore. That much is obvious. I do diagree with your take on AIC since in their later years they turned into more of a hard rock band. In fact when I have this discussion and bring out my "list," one of the more educated responses is that AIC doesn't belong on that list because they are and always have been hard rock. I disagree with them, but it is better than the "Nu-UH! Nirvana is number 1 because Kurt is GOD." I mean, you are probably 30, get over your teen angst. Shoot, I like the body of work that the Foo Fighters put out better than Nirvana's.

Off Topic: I was just reading Wikipedia about pearl jam, nirvana, etc and one of them said that there was some kind of hatred that Kurt held towards Pearl Jam, is this true?? - Funny, Jealousy is an ugly step-child.

Off Topic: Right after Kurt killed himself, my dad and I were driving on 1604 and we were listening to Nirvana's "Come as you are" and the part of the song came on that said "and I swear that I don't have a gun, no I don't have a gun . . ." and my dad looked at the radio and said "Damn Liar." Freakin Priceless.

I'm only 25 so I missed most of the grunge era because I was so young at that time. I'm not a Nirvana fan- I think I pointed out on here somewhere that Pearl Jam actually was more popular and out sold them up until Kurt's death. I never really listened to Alice in Chains except for their Unplugged and Best of the Box album, but that isn't because I don't like them- I do, it's just that when i was finally getting into music (97-00) they were not really around. When you are a kid you really only listen to what is on the radio (or atleast I did) so Pearl Jam was big with me because they played their stuff and I got their CD's. I wasn't able to go to concerts or anything and by the time I could AIC was gone. I like their stuff now, but like with anyone, you like the stuff you grew up listening to which is why I still love Pearl Jam. I can hear their songs and be reminded of times in the 5th grade, or I can hear a song and it could remind me of last summer.

But yeah, Kurt didn't like Vedder because he thought they were too commercial. Boy was he wrong. Can't blame him though because they blew up right away. Vedder said recently that he was able to patch things up with Kurt before his death.

Drachen
03-25-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm only 25 so I missed most of the grunge era because I was so young at that time. I'm not a Nirvana fan- I think I pointed out on here somewhere that Pearl Jam actually was more popular and out sold them up until Kurt's death. I never really listened to Alice in Chains except for their Unplugged and Best of the Box album, but that isn't because I don't like them- I do, it's just that when i was finally getting into music (97-00) they were not really around. When you are a kid you really only listen to what is on the radio (or atleast I did) so Pearl Jam was big with me because they played their stuff and I got their CD's. I wasn't able to go to concerts or anything and by the time I could AIC was gone. I like their stuff now, but like with anyone, you like the stuff you grew up listening to which is why I still love Pearl Jam. I can hear their songs and be reminded of times in the 5th grade, or I can hear a song and it could remind me of last summer.

But yeah, Kurt didn't like Vedder because he thought they were too commercial. Boy was he wrong. Can't blame him though because they blew up right away. Vedder said recently that he was able to patch things up with Kurt before his death.

I get ya, I am 29 and my "musical awakening" started in 1989 or 1990 (somewhere around there). Before that I listened to classic rock (still do), and R&B (my sister was 5 years older and really into that). My huge thing with Ten is that it will be shut away somewhere, then I will be cleaning or moving, find it, listen to it again and find a totally different song that I think is great. About 2 years ago I was listening to it and "discovered" track 9 "Garden." It's a freakin great song and I found it after I had owned the CD for about 16-17 years. Doesn't sound dated or anything. Plus they wrote the greatest breakup song ever created on that album. As far as seeing AIC in concert, I never got to either, oh well. Still love the music.

Thunder Dan
03-25-2009, 11:20 AM
I get ya, I am 29 and my "musical awakening" started in 1989 or 1990 (somewhere around there). Before that I listened to classic rock (still do), and R&B (my sister was 5 years older and really into that). My huge thing with Ten is that it will be shut away somewhere, then I will be cleaning or moving, find it, listen to it again and find a totally different song that I think is great. About 2 years ago I was listening to it and "discovered" track 9 "Garden." It's a freakin great song and I found it after I had owned the CD for about 16-17 years. Doesn't sound dated or anything. Plus they wrote the greatest breakup song ever created on that album. As far as seeing AIC in concert, I never got to either, oh well. Still love the music.

I got Ten from one of the 10 CD for a penny things you used to find in magazines. I think I got it in 1994 and always listened to it. Back around 1995-1998 I was more into shitty music like Coolio, 2Pac, Skee-Lo, Bone Thugs and other crap they played on MTV. I liked Foo Fighters a little because of their videos, and I liked Blind Melon, but I would always listen to Ten and Vitology as 2 of my rock staples-along with Blind Melon's S/T. I had STP's Purple, which I bought on accident at the now defunct Blockbuster Music thinking it was Blind Melon. I had REM Monster (which I never listened to), NIN Downward Spiral (which was too hard for me at the time) and Superunknown which I only listened to 4 songs they played on the radio. Through it all though, and even though all my friends were big into the popular rap at the time, I listened and enjoyed Ten. In 1998 I once again fell in love with rock music. The band that did it to me was Our Lady Peace. I loved Clumsy and something about their sound made me really like them (I still kind of do). I went to one of their concerts here in Cleveland and from that point on (my first actual rock show) ((Montell Jordan,TLC, and Boyz 2 Men was my only other concert I attended) I was a rock freak. I was deeply into Alternative Rock at that time. Those were my years 1998-2001. I listened to everything rock at that time, and even went back to catch up on the stuff I missed. I like some of the music now, but nothing will replace the stuff of the 90's for me. The 90's might not of had the best music, but it's the stuff I enjoy listening to the most and Ten was always my favorite

Viva Las Espuelas
03-25-2009, 11:30 AM
n 1604 and we were listening to Nirvana's "Come as you are" and the part of the song came on that said "and I swear that I don't have a gun, no I don't have a gun . . ." and my dad looked at the radio and said "Damn Liar." Freakin Priceless.

they ripped off that riff from Killing Joke. Almost note for note.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-25-2009, 11:32 AM
About 2 years ago I was listening to it and "discovered" track 9 "Garden." It's a freakin great song and I found it after I had owned the CD for about 16-17 years.
i did the same with "Porch". that was my least favorite tune until it finally "hit" me.

chreph
03-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Pretty good interview with Jeff Ament (bassist) on MSN:

Pearl Jam's Perfect "Ten"

On the eve of their 20th anniversary, bassist Jeff Ament discusses revisiting a grunge grail

By Alan Light
Special to MSN Music

In 1990, bass player Jeff Ament and guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready were in Seattle, going nowhere fast. The trio had joined together out of the wreckage of two previous bands, and they were working on some new songs, trying to recruit a drummer and singer.

They slipped a five-song demo tape to former Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Jack Irons; Irons, in turn, passed it on to a friend, a sometime vocalist, sometime gas station attendant in San Diego named Eddie Vedder. While surfing one day, lyrics began to come to Vedder. He recorded vocals over three of the songs ("Alive," "Once," and "Footsteps") in a suite he called the "Momma-Son Trilogy," and sent the tape back to Seattle.

When the three musicians heard this home recording, they flew Vedder up to audition in person. Within a week, Vedder had joined the band.

The "Momma-Son" cassette is the moment of genesis for the group that came to be known as Pearl Jam, and those three songs formed the core of its 1991 album "Ten," one of the biggest rock albums of all time. Though Nirvana's "Nevermind," yin to the yang of "Ten" as the dual foundations of the "alternative rock" revolution, is usually considered the defining album of the age, the 12-times-platinum "Ten" actually wound up selling more copies.

While working on a new, expanded reissue of "Ten," Ament stumbled upon the "Momma-Son" tape for the first time since it arrived. "I was amazed at how a couple of the songs came out on the record almost identical to those demos," he says, on the phone from Seattle. "I played it for Ed, and we laughed about it a lot. He said he knocked it out in the middle of the night, and didn't know if anything would come of it. I have to say it was definitely much better than I thought it was going to be."

A replica of this mythic cassette is included in the "Super Deluxe Edition" of "Ten," along with LPs of the album remastered for vinyl, a DVD of the band's 1992 "MTV Unplugged" session, a two-LP live recording from 1992, and copies of various notes, mementos, and flotsam from the era that saw Pearl Jam catapulted to superstar status. (There are four different versions of the release; the basic "Legacy Edition" is a remastering of the album, packaged with a new remix of the songs by longtime Pearl Jam producer Brendan O'Brien, plus six bonus tracks.) The reissue kicks off a two-year catalog re-release campaign, leading up to the band's 20th anniversary in 2011.

"As a listener, I'm always looking for demos or alternate takes, to see how songs grew and developed," says Ament. "It allows you to get inside the songs and see the growth -- or the mistakes, depending."

MSN Music: Where did the idea for revisiting "Ten" originate?

Jeff Ament: There have always been things I wasn't happy with about "Ten." There was a bit of a power struggle between me and the art department at Sony over the artwork. The last version that came to us is the one everybody knows, and at the time they basically said, "If we change this, we can't put the record out for six months." The most important thing for us then was to get out and play and be a better band. But we always intended for that pink color on the cover to be more burgundy. So, first, this was a great opportunity to go back and correct that. Then, in the process, we started to look at the whole thing. Ed found a box of stuff from back then, I found some stuff -- there was this incredible package of preserved items. And, eventually, we convinced Brendan O'Brien to remix it, after he spent 15 years saying that he didn't want to go back and touch such a classic, and it's vastly improved.

Were you always dissatisfied with the sound of the album?

When we made "Vs," our second record, I remember thinking, "Man, I wish our first record sounded like this." I thought it was more direct, more powerful. I know Stone felt that the reverb on "Ten" was covering up our own inability to play at the time, but when I found a tape of the rough mixes, it sounded killer. That really made me keep bugging Brendan to consider doing this.

Everyone just wanted to see what he would come up with. When we heard it, it became apparent that they had to be included -- that, at the least, they were a very good alternative to the original mixes.

Were you at all reluctant to alter such a monumental album? The only precedent that I can think of is what the Beatles did with the "Let It Be ... Naked" project, removing the work that Phil Spector did on the released album and then remixing the original recordings.

That's a good comparison, because I love "Let It Be." It was one of the first records I ever bought, and I got used to what Phil Spector did with those songs. But I can understand why Paul McCartney would think that the "Naked" version was superior.

There's less of an imprint by the producer on those songs. I think these mixes are more like Truffaut, like the black-and-white version of "Ten." It's a much starker, more present sound. The package includes both, so which one is definitive will really be up to the listener.

What did you hear in the band's playing when you went back into these recordings?

I knew that we played really energetic shows, but my memory was that we just weren't that great as players. But to go back to the demos and listen in raw form, now I think, "Wow, we really weren't that bad." The version of "State of Love and Trust" with Dave Krusen on drums is so much better than what ended up being released. I had been thinking he wasn't that great a drummer, but he actually did an amazing job, and I really found a new respect for him.

Pearl Jam is still hugely popular, so were you all sure that it was a good idea to devote this much attention to a reissue?

Yeah, any time you talk about reissues or new versions of old projects, it does start to feel like, "Wait a minute, we're still a viable band." We're working on a new record now, and you don't want anything to get in the way of that. But, especially with "Ten," there were just things that really didn't get done the way we wanted. I don't know about all the rest of the albums. I'm pretty happy with most of them, but I committed myself to really get into this one.

And, in the process, we all got to hear what everybody's memories of that time are. It fills in some of the blanks, because it was such an insane time. Things were moving at a pace that none of us were prepared for. For a year and a half, on a typical day we would wake up, do five or six interviews, do an in-store, go sound check, do another interview or two, play the show, go to the after-show, stay up all night, and then do it all over again the next day. It was just impossible to retain it all.

What's the first thing that comes into your mind when you think about that period?

There was a show in Cincinnati, I think, or maybe Columbus. We'd only done a handful of shows in the States, and then we went to Europe for six or seven weeks, and while we were away the album blew up. This was before cell phones or the Internet or whatever, so I guess our managers kind of told us, but we really had no idea, it really hadn't sunk in. In Europe, we were playing 200- to 300-seaters and when we got back, it was supposed to be in [400-] or 500-seaters. But all of a sudden we came back and were playing in 2,500-seat theaters -- it was like, "Whoa, what was that?" And after this show in Ohio, there were 500 people in the parking lot, surrounding the bus. We'd never experienced anything like that before. That's when we recognized that something had changed.

We'd all been in bands for eight or 10 years, and to go from working all month to set up a show -- printing the fliers, putting them up, making the T-shirts, renting the PA -- to, all of a sudden, Keith Richards wants you to play his birthday party and Neil Young wants you to go on tour with him, it's really hard not to just keep saying yes to everything. And we really were at our wits' end before we said, "We just have to stop." Really, it's a lesson in, "Be careful what you wish for," because it suddenly all just came true.

Is spending so much time with this material influencing the album you're working on?

We started the writing process before getting into the "Ten" stuff, so some of it was already in motion. But listening to the demos, and some of the stuff that didn't make it onto the record or didn't even turn into finished songs, it reminded me of a time when we were playing with a lot less rules. We didn't have much in the way of music theory, we didn't really know "this is major, this is minor, that doesn't fit in this scale."

Do you hear that coming out in the new songs?

I've written a couple of things since then and thought, "Yeah, I can put this weird note in here," even when my current instincts tell me it's wrong. So it's cool to remember that rock and roll isn't about playing within any confines.

Thunder Dan
03-25-2009, 12:01 PM
yeah I saw that interview, I like the part about how they were in Europe and they blew up over here. I was looking through the photos in the reissue and it has their original tour itinerary where you can see the date, venue and capacity of the building. They played here in Cleveland at a place called the Empire Club (which I never even knew existed) which held 250 people, a couple months later played at Peabodys (which is still around) which held 650, the a couple months after that they played Music Hall which held 3,000. I was like, damn that is blowing up fast. It would be hard for a band today to do that with the internet and everything else.

Spurminator
03-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Listening to the redux version right now. "Oceans" sounds great, like it could have been a song on No Code, and I like that they got rid of all of the weird ghostly echo sounds on "Even Flow." Doesn't seem like they remixed the bass at all, and even though I'm glad there's less reverb on the vocals I think it sounds a little flat at times... needs a little more beef. The end of "Jeremy" sounds bad.

I talked myself out of the collector's set when I thought about the fact that I was essentially paying $100 extra for vinyl copies and a live show and demo that I wouldn't listen to very often and could probably just download or buy separately at some point. Even buying the CD/DVD set I basically paid $15 extra for the 7-song Unplugged DVD but I was okay with that.

Thunder Dan
03-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Listening to the redux version right now. "Oceans" sounds great, like it could have been a song on No Code, and I like that they got rid of all of the weird ghostly echo sounds on "Even Flow." Doesn't seem like they remixed the bass at all, and even though I'm glad there's less reverb on the vocals I think it sounds a little flat at times... needs a little more beef. The end of "Jeremy" sounds bad.

I talked myself out of the collector's set when I thought about the fact that I was essentially paying $100 extra for vinyl copies and a live show and demo that I wouldn't listen to very often and could probably just download or buy separately at some point. Even buying the CD/DVD set I basically paid $15 extra for the 7-song Unplugged DVD but I was okay with that.

My sister got the Deluxe version at Best Buy for like $27 bucks. It's cool because it's got that picture book thing too

I like the Remixed Why Go and Deep, they both sound fuller. The DVD is awesome too if you haven't watched it yet, I love the solo on Alive with the acoustic

Josh810
03-25-2009, 02:41 PM
This band is awesome. The re-mixes sound great, esp. tracks like Garden and Once. My fave album personally is Yield. I can't wait til they remaster the tracks from later albums.

SequSpur
03-25-2009, 07:40 PM

are you fucking high? Ten is bad ass... Are there really levels of Pearl Jam fans?

Let me ask you a question...why in the hell would they remaster ten if real "hardcore" fans didn't like it? :lmao

I appreciate your fanmanship but come on dude... lay off the pearl jam VIP crack pipe already...

Ten rules.