PDA

View Full Version : UFC Primetime: GSP vs. Penn" debuts Jan. 14 on Spike TV

dbreiden83080
01-13-2009, 06:09 PM
It's a three-part preview series. starting tomorrow night at 10:00 PM ET, on Spike. Supposedly kind of like the HBO 24/7 boxing series they do for their huge fights..

Here's the trailer.. Looks good..

g3kn7d8hf4Q

2centsworth
01-13-2009, 06:43 PM
must see fight.

dbreiden83080
01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
must see fight.

First Mega Fight of 2009, if both bring their A Game could be one of the best fights ever..

2centsworth
01-13-2009, 06:46 PM
right up there with Kimo vs Gracie :)

djohn14
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
This will almost be as good as Cain Velasquez vs Whoever wants to lose to Cain Velasquez!

dbreiden83080
01-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Pretty good first episode. As a huge GSP fan let me just say i love that Penn is doing all the talking and GSP is doing all the training.

"I'm gonna kill you man, this is gonna go to the death, i'm not gonna stop, i'm gonna be the best ever"

"Just as soon as i get back from vacation", LOL 10 min on how lazy BJ is.. :lol

Mr Dio
01-15-2009, 02:40 AM
First Mega Fight of 2009, if both bring their A Game could be one of the best fights ever..

WTF!!!!?????
This fight means more than Fakedor vs (name the the Freak Show or Wash Up)???

:lol

Gotta hand it to Fakedor, he is at least figting a top 10 talent HW talent. Not like any of the other fights he's had in the past yr, 2 yrs?? 3 yrs?? :lol

djohn14
01-15-2009, 08:02 AM
I missed it!

LEONARD
01-15-2009, 09:17 AM
WTF!!!!?????
This fight means more than Fakedor vs (name the the Freak Show or Wash Up)???

:lol

Gotta hand it to Fakedor, he is at least figting a top 10 talent HW talent. Not like any of the other fights he's had in the past yr, 2 yrs?? 3 yrs?? :lol

Sylvia is top 10
Mark Hunt was top 10 when he fought a little over 2 yrs ago

So you're picking Arlovski right? Commit to a pick...

LEONARD
01-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Great show...loved the part where Dana was calling... :lol

I missed it!

I'm sure it'll replay 10,000 times. Hell, they played it back to back last night!

dbreiden83080
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
I missed it!

I'll recap it for you. GSP going from camp to camp, training his ass off like an animal. His work ethic is 2nd to none, it's amazing.. Penn talking smack about the first fight and training, followed by him taking 5 days off to veg on a beach, with Dana trying to call him to yell at him for not being in training.. BJ does have a lot of yes men around him, for sure..

Mr Dio
01-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Sylvia is top 10
Mark Hunt was top 10 when he fought a little over 2 yrs ago

So you're picking Arlovski right? Commit to a pick...

Will def be pulling for AA, I listed him long ago as a fighter I liked.

So you wouldn't want to see FE fight any current UFC HW's vs Hunt/Sylvia, etc?

LEONARD
01-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Will def be pulling for AA, I listed him long ago as a fighter I liked.

Ok, so you're PICKING AA...I don't care who you're pulling for.

I'm picking GSP but pulling for BJ...

So you wouldn't want to see FE fight any current UFC HW's vs Hunt/Sylvia, etc?

I'm not really sure what this means (typical)...

I just stated the fact that he's fought 2 top guys in the last couple years, contrary to what you said...I didn't think it was that difficult. Had nothing to do with who I'd like to see him fight in the UFC.

But to answer your question, there isn't much in the UFC right now.

I'm intrigued by Fedor vs Lesnar, but if that were in Japan it might be considered a freak show given his lack of MMA experience and the extreme size difference.

Couture? Not a chance...he can't take a hit anymore.
Mir? Uhhhhhhh, no
Gonzaga? Give me a break...dude has no heart. Carwin is going to ruin him.
Nog? Done that twice.

Potential future opponents:
Shane Carwin
Cain Velasquez
Cigano
Struve (several years away)

Josh Barnett is still the toughest matchup for Fedor at this point (#2 HW). Even guys like Overeem, who is on a major roll at HW, and Sergei Kharitonov intrigue me more than what's in the UFC HW division right now...

I'd eventually like to see Fedor in the UFC, but not yet. Maybe in another year. And even then, I'd like to see him fight at both HW and LHW. He's really a UFC LHW that's dominated at HW for years...

dbreiden83080
01-16-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm picking GSP but pulling for BJ...

I thought when i was debating this with Dallas once you said you were going with BJ.. Something change your mind???

LEONARD
01-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I probably did...I've gone back and forth. I think GSP will win, but I want BJ to win...

dbreiden83080
01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I probably did...I've gone back and forth. I think GSP will win, but I want BJ to win...

My major worry in the fight is that GSP gets caught in the early going. I can't imagine Penn thinks he can go 5 hard rds with GSP, so he is going to try and get him out of there like Serra was able too. The longer it goes the better it is for GSP being the superior athlete, with better conditioning and wrestling..

LEONARD
01-16-2009, 05:20 PM
The more I think about it the more I think it'll be similar to their first fight. I think BJ will outstrike him some early, fend off a couple takedowns while he's fresh, but not be able to finish him. Then GSP will score with takedowns and win a decision.

I don't think GSP can finish BJ unless he's just completely gassed. BJ's head is just too hard and his BJJ is too good.

BJ could drop and finish GSP though I think...hell, Serra did...

djohn14
01-16-2009, 05:28 PM
I think its GSPs fight to lose. I know BJ can win...he is the third best fighter in the UFC IMO, but the problem is...hes facing number two. I feel GSP is superior to BJ in terms of all around game, and I feel he will win.

FreeMason
01-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Penn can get fucked over hard legally if he actually kills GSP LOL

dbreiden83080
01-16-2009, 05:54 PM
The more I think about it the more I think it'll be similar to their first fight. I think BJ will outstrike him some early, fend off a couple takedowns while he's fresh, but not be able to finish him. Then GSP will score with takedowns and win a decision.

I don't think GSP can finish BJ unless he's just completely gassed. BJ's head is just too hard and his BJJ is too good.

BJ could drop and finish GSP though I think...hell, Serra did...

I am not willing to beat my chest about it, but i do suspect that GSP has closed the gap with his striking on Penn.. Sub's as well, he is now a JJ BB, he wasn't 3 years ago.. His boxing maybe is not quite as good but he uses his kicks as well as his hands and he'll use a lot of faints i suspect to put Penn in spots to get him down. I read a stat recently, GSP is 18/20 of takedown attempts in his last 4 fights, with Koscheck, Hughes, Serra and Fitch. That's insane considering the wrestling or JJ pedigress of those guys. Fitch is a great wrestler and a JJ BB and he took him down and passed guard with ease.. Passed Serra's guard with ease as well. If GSP can set a pace of mixing up the takedowns and stand-up, making Penn work to get up, so Penn is always working hard to stay in the fight, i feel he can take Penn out late.. we'll see..

Mr Dio
01-17-2009, 04:52 PM
I thought when i was debating this with Dallas once you said you were going with BJ.. Something change your mind???

:toast

It's actually typical of him. :lol
Like how some of the "experts" around here think Tim Sylvia is the greatest HW ever behind Fakedor & yrs ago they thought he was blah blah blah..........When the UFC was full of "scrub HWs". :lol

LEONARD
01-19-2009, 09:43 AM
:toast

It's actually typical of him. :lol
Like how some of the "experts" around here think Tim Sylvia is the greatest HW ever behind Fakedor & yrs ago they thought he was blah blah blah..........When the UFC was full of "scrub HWs". :lol

...says the guy that never makes picks...

No idea what you're talking about with Tim Sylvia...I've only said that he's top 10, and borderline top 5...

dbreiden83080
01-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Well the trash talk certainly went up about 20 notches on tonights show.. :lol

LEONARD
01-22-2009, 09:34 AM
CRAP! I forgot to record it I think...crashed early. Will have to look for a replay...