PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ginobili's L.A. Story (To Be Continued)

duncan228
01-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Jeff McDonald: Ginobili's L.A. story (to be continued) (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/)

It's no secret that Manu Ginobili did not enjoy a very good conference final against the Lakers last season. And, unless you have been living under a very large rock since, it's no secret as to why.

He was playing on an ankle so bum that it would eventually require surgery in the offseason.

The Lakers are in town Wednesday, to face the Spurs for the first time since knocking them from the playoffs in June. Asked after Tuesday's practice if he was looking forward to showing the Lakers what a healthy Manu can do, Ginobili went the self-deprecating route.

"I'm not showing the other 28 teams a lot so far," he said.

Indeed, Ginobili is averaging 14.5 points in the 24 games since his return, his fewest since 2003-04. He is shooting 45.4 percent from the field, and a career-low 33.3 percent from 3-point range.

Whether it comes against the L.A. Lakers or L.A. Clippers, Ginobili just wants to feel like himself again.

"I just want to get back in shape, start making some shots," Ginobili said. "I am more concerned about myself than who we are playing at this point."

Over the past several games, coach Gregg Popovich has seen increasing flashes of the Ginobili of old. He expects to have that guy back soon.

"I think the last three, four five games consecutively, he's shown some explosiveness in every game," Popovich said. "I think he's real close to being consistently able to do the things we need to have him do for us to be a top-level team."

scanry
01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Manu is what's holding us back against some of the better teams.

IMO he's like 65-70% to where he was a year ago and when he does get back to that level, Spurs would be as Parker said earlier this season, "a beast come playoff time.":hat

On a side note, Manu is overasserting himself. He should let the game come to him. It's not like anyone is doubting him at the moment.